Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic 3-2 Peterborough - Post Match Views

Comments

• Very impressed with Boyd in the first half. Gave us allsorts of problems in much the same way Elliot Bennett did for Brighton. Craig Mackail-Smith is also a much better player than I thought.
  • [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Francis starting to look like a real good player. Wagstaff poor again and a waste of space.
    LUCKY LUCKY CHRIS POWELL......Could have been 4 defeats on the trot. Would love to sign a few players from Posh.

you must be taking the piss, you make your own luck in football you dont win a game 3-2 after being 1 nil down and that be luck.

it's not luck that pboro didnt take their chances its poor finishing, it wasnt luck against colchester it was poor refereeing, it wasnt luck against plymouth it was a good hard earned win, the same against yeovil
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Craig Mackail-Smith is also a much better player than I thought.

He's class, two feet, great touch and interplay, decent enough in the air as well.

How he didn't get taken to the Championship with McLean is beyond me.
  • edited February 2011
    First half, very poor. I usually have the right hump with the boo boys, but as my son was one of them today I'll say no more on that.
    Second half totally different and as others have said Abbot was the difference. Nice strong strong physical presence at that end of the pitch. Held the ball up well, some great flicks on to others (principally BWP) and much to my surprise some very deft footwork. I was so please when he scored he thoroughly deserved it. I'm surprised there's not been much mention of Elliot yet. He was excellent. Not just as a shot stopper but getting out and commanding the whole area; great display from him.
    Rumours that the little bald linesman with the white stick was Mr Magoo are completely unfounded. It was in fact Mr Magill.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Craig Mackail-Smith is also a much better player than I thought.[/quote]

He's class, two feet, great touch and interplay, decent enough in the air as well.

How he didn't get taken to the Championship with McLean is beyond me.[/quote]

Maybe we can sign him in the summer then :)
  • edited February 2011
    A sign of a good manager is the ability to read a game and change your setup accordingly....so well done SCP, just one very small negative, we need to create space for the pass, to many times we were in posession and everybody just stands still (more or less).
    Oh and Mackail-Smith was great for them a very good player.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Very impressed with Boyd in the first half. Gave us allsorts of problems in much the same way Elliot Bennett did for Brighton.
    I always watch our players much more closely but first half you could see Boyd had that bit of quality. Wonder why we let him go as a youngster, did we not rate him or was it down to him, his attitude or something else.
  • [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Francis best game ever, he improving somehow

Macormack absent and lacking when he got ball on rare ocassions

awful first half, bizzarre game with the ref again? Did he collide with someone or just trip, looked like he'd broken and ankle, hope Fry? I forget now who was stretchered off is OK too. should have been 10 mins added on first half and 3 second, perhaps they tried to even it up..

another good win, Powell seems to be learning on the job, but he does seem to learn and make the right changes.

lovely bit of football for our second goal particularly

3 Mins extra in the 2nd half? are you actually stupid lol there were 6 subs which is 3 mins an then daily qas dpwn injured for a couple and there was also a clash of heads....i thought 6 mins was spot on

is there really any need for that sort of comment? I was trying to make a point about the first half and not a very major one either, welcome to the Forum 'mate'
  • 1st half was awful.

2nd half was brilliant to watch.

Waggy going off did us a favour as yet again unless he scores he is totally ineffective, rarely has skill to beat someone with the ball and mostly relys on his pace to get him by.

McCormack was poor all game, had no influence on anything and felt sorry for Semedo doing the work of two for the 2nd home game going. Although I'm pretty sure Racon was about to replace him before we got the 2 goals. He'll know he'll have to do better to keep his place.

Francis seems a different player to one a few months ago, great work for the first goal and he didn't seem to make any misplaced passes.

Thought Elliot's handling was brilliant, we've seen him flap a few times at crosses but he didn't today caught everything.

Bessone getting injured again, not sure what I thought of his performance, doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement on Fry imo

Ecclestone was pretty annoymous first half but putting him on the wing his pace and cross got us 2 goals, surely has to start against Hartlepool.

Felt very good walking away today, haven't felt that happy about a Charlton win in a long time
  • edited February 2011
    great result and the footballing gods looked down on us today

amazing the "5th" position parky left us in wasn't as great as you'd think cos 13 points form 15 and we're still "5th" !!

well done to the boo boys looked like it worked and we came out much better in the 2nd half

p'boro are a neutrals dream great to watch going forward and leaky at the back

positives, apart from the result, robbies commanding of the box and good handling was impressive today but for the free kick dropped that he recovered to smother , abbott i've always liked and unlike sodje he can kick a ball properly, his technique for the goal was very good, semedo was awesome despite being nutmegged for their first goal, ecclestones unselfish chip to the far post when he had every right to shoot was brilliant

negatives , i thought fry was awful and the first half was as bad as we've played all season

anyway i see us as 18% automatics 81% play offs and 1% 3rd tier pub footy again

can't see past any 2 from brighton, soton, us and hudders filling the automatics still
  • Sponsored links:

• All of our goals have come in the 2nd half under Chrissy Powell - says something about his team talks. The side really seems to have discovered its backbone.
  • edited February 2011
    Poor first half. Not expecting Championship or Prem quality but some of the passing is just basics. This can be worked on and coached in training so not too much to worry about.

The substitution turned out to be inspired and gawd knows what CP said at half time but we were a rejuvinated team the second half. Best up front pairing i can remember for a long while and throw joe, abbot and benson into the mix and i think we are strong in that department and wont struggle for goals if at least NE or BWP are on the pitch.

Semedo was immense and put in a tackle on the half way line in the 5th minute of added time that broke down peterboros move and summed up his superb performance. Really turning into a rock for us i think and the fact he hates Millwall can only add to my admiration of the man.

When the crowd got behind the team it really seemed to push us on and made the peterborough lot jittery. Oh and if on the far from likely chance that any of the whallies who heckled players or booed the team off at half time have the ability to read and happen to be reading this, stop and think to yourself when the last time any Charlton player actually upped their performance as a result of your moronic noise.

Great day and am nursing a lost voice and a sore nipple after the huge skinheaded stranger stood next to me practically ripped it off as we celebrated the third.

Superb result and keep up the good work lads.
  • We showed a lot of character - it wasn't so much a game of two halves, more of a poor first hour and then an inspired last half-hour.
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite] Oh and if on the far from likely chance that any of the whallies who heckled players or booed the team off at half time have the ability to read and happen to be reading this, stop and think to yourself when the last time any Charlton player actually upped their performance as a result of your moronic noise..

They may claim it worked today and it helped get parky out and powelly in ... who knows!
  • So why boo the new managers team 4 games in? 3 wins on the trot and a poor first half. God help us when we lose a game....it'll be Powell out.
  • P'boro were good with the ball and bad without it. We had no pattern in the first half and it was clearly the wrong line up with those two up front. Wagstaff didn't do nearly enough and Ecclestone showed him the way 2nd half. But Ecclestone struggled with the defending side of playing right-midfield especially late on. Wonder if Powell would have changed things if Wagstaff hadn't taken that whack to the head? I know some people may have been surprised by Abbott's introduction but we were crying out for a target man and he's the only one we've got. He was excellent. Main thing is, for the first time this season (at home) I felt I'd been properly entertained by Charlton, albeit for just one half.
  • Goals on SSN in the next 5/10 mins.....
  • Thought that Peterborough were a good counterattacking side and gave us quite a few problems, especially second half. Abbott had his best game that I can recall, Ecclestone took a bit of time to get into the game but his cross second half was excellent to set up the goal. Waggy was poor by his standards today!. At times our defending looks clumsy, and we simply do not retain the ball, partly due to Peterborough closing us down, the defense seems to just give it away.At times we play to deep, and barely have a man on the halfway line, which causes us to be under pressure!. First half Peterborough should have been 2-0 up!

Much better second half,Great to score three goals, and delighted with the win. BWP great to have a forward that you feel can score, if he gets the ball!

I thought that Powell said that he liked a defender on the post!..... if the keeper wanted one so, Robbie obviously does not!

Good win
  • Can we have Mickael-Smith please :)
  • Powell seems to have the tactical nous to see what's wrong and change things. So far his substitutions have been very astute. First half was shocking and we seemed incapable of passing to a colleague and we couldn't win a tackle. Having someone who could win the ball in the air made all the difference second half. Powell has the Midas touch at the moment, let's hope it lasts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was it tactical nous or a fortunate injury? Either way the right result
  • Injury or not, he still had to decide on who to bring on and what tactics to employ.
  • Maikel-smith missed a sitter at 0 - 1. How games can change on such things. Minutes later it was 2 - 1.

Slightly concerned with all the injuries but that's why you have a squad.

Onwards and upwards
  • But lets put it all down to luck.

4 lucky wins now.

Perhaps we should get in touch with the Football League on Monday and hand back the points?
  • Thats why Barcelona are so good....just pure luck that they win all the time....
  • Posting without reading.

The classic game of two halves. First half their keeper had only one save to make worthy of the name whereas Robbie was forced to dive at onrushing attackers 3 times that I remember and they hit the post. Our midfield was woeful and if I hadn't seen him there with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed McOxo was on the pitch.

Second half though we showed our character. Everybody's favourite scapegoat once again didn't hide and put in a peach of a cross for Jacko at the far post to clinically head home. Derek Hales I mean Bradley Wright-Phillips then equally clinically finished a couple of minutes later from what seemed like almost his first touch of the game he was so quiet.

Credit to Chris Powell bringing Abbott on because he made a real impact and put the Peterborough central defenders under pressure which didn't happen first half. I thought it was the wrong decision to take Waggy off for him but SCP showed me what I know!

3 hard fought points. Onwards and upwards bring on Hartlepool Tuesday night!
  • Haven't read the thread yet, my first game for a few.

1st half was just a non event apart from 4 corners in opening 3 mins. So stop start, with the refs random injury being the highlight. Poor goal to give away, think it was Francis who gave it away dreadfully.

Couldn't quite understand Abbott's inclusion after HT but after a few mins it came clear what he was sent on for and it worked a treat. Great sub. He looked a new man, never seen him run so fast.

Eccleston looked lively although in-experience at times. Did very well for 2nd goal. BWP, well what can you say - reminds me of Bent, just gets goals. What we need. Though Semedo was solid today & McCormack turned it round after being a bit lacklustre in first half. Jackson also had a poor 1st half but sorted it out.

Though Bessone looked unfit to be honest, wasn't getting back very quick. Did ok though.

Great 3 points, frustrating that all teams around us keep winning but as long we do aswell.

We're gunna bounce in a minute...
  • very poor first half, probably as bad as anything in the last three years. Thought Bessone was our best player that half and if he was slow coming back then at least he was trying to get forward and get things moving unlike anyone else. For me he's a proper full-back, Fry is a centre-half imitating one although I like him as a player. McCormack offers nothing for me, centre midfield remains a very worrying problem although I expect that to be addressed very soon. Francis was good going forward and a couple of more than decent crosses but his defending is still suspect. Abbott came on and changed the game, deserved his goal, and was my MOM. For the first time in years we have five strikers whom I'm confident of can score the goals to get us promoted. A central midfielder will make all the difference. Happy dayz though. The next month or so though is really going to test the squad and players like Llera, like Abbott, are going to get their chance. It's up to them to take it.
  • Until we scored we were terrible, then the Posh showed the other side to their game, the one that may cost them promotion. Going forward they were great and played lovely stuff, cutting holes in our team and CMS and GB have to exceptional players. But they cannot defend to save their lives. Another lucky win, but rather a lucky manager than a luckless great one
  • Wanted to sleep on the game and digest and consider it before posting. Firstly, as everybody else has commented -the first half was poor but the combo of BWP and Ecclestone was the problem. Waggy is IMO most effective out wide in 2nd halfs when defenders tire as he does not possess the tricks a wide man needs against fresher legs. His best position is playing behind the main striker but we have so many options there. Think at his young age- the club could look at converting him to a central midfileder but his passing would need to improve. Abbott's introduction as a pivot was terrific -I have been very critical of him but when he has pace and industry behind him, his attributes could be effective for us. An attack of Benson and Abbott with no pace and little movement is never going to trouble defenders but Abbott showed yesterday with the right personnel around him, he has a future at the club.

Very difficult to give MOM as I thought Abbot was excellent but Francis and Ecclestone were too. Also Semedo, put in another good show and his consistency is key. He is a real asset. Francis can play poor balls but he does try to play them. He is a major contributor to our offensive play and I have to say it - in the last 2 home games he has put in 4 of the best crosses on the run that we have seen at the Valley for a long time. He defended well yesterday too and his height was an asset on occasions. We need to strt getting behind him as with the right guidance he could be a terrific full back for us. Ecclestone struggled to find space in the first half but after the introduction of Abbot and playing wider, he was much more invoved and you could smell the terror in the Posh defence.

The second goal was the sort of gaol you don't see much at this level - It was technically superb. Amazed it only got one showing on the Football league show last night but that shows up how little they know about quality- remember Sam's effort against Brentford last season.

Finally a mention for Chrissy Powell- afte a first half performance like yesterday- you rack your brains to think what changes can be mad- and Abbott coming on bamboozled me. But shows how much I know and to be fair- what potential SCP has as a manger -not just as an inspirational character but as a tactician.

Felt a bit sorry for Posh -they were one of the best sides I've seen at the Valley this season - An possibly the third wasn't the best defending -but there wasn't much they could do against our first 2 goals. Would expect them to take a few points off some of our rivals in the run in. We had 2 key players missing yesterday and the bench was still strong enough to affect the game- There is a confidence in the team to dig us out of holes and there is real quality in there too. Lots of reasons to be cheerful -even if Lizzie on FLS is doubtful we will go up.