Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And Powell says

Comments

• Options
    Like the board have said, promotion this season would be a bonus. The whole squad needs pulling apart and rebuilding from top to bottom. The squad Powell has inherited has been literally cobbled together on no money whatsoever and my god it shows. There are parts of it worth salvaging but on the whole it is nowhere good enough for what Charltons aspirations are. For once we are going to have to show patience and let CP and the board turn it around. Until then lets enjoy the wins and not get to gloomy about the defeats. Playoffs are still possible so lets get behind the team we currently have and push for that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bcaddick[/cite]Maybe it is some of the fans that follow Charlton that cause negativity for the team...Fuck me, some of the posts are unreal...get a life some of you. He's just started and has a shit team. We dont play like we used to in the premier. We are not that team anymore and are light years away from it too. What good would being "scared" of a manager be? Un bloody real.

Well if it was a shit team for, no wins in three games Powell, ergo it must have been a shit team for Parky. I would have liked some of you to have given Parky the same support that you are giving Powell.

BUT it was Parky's shite team that he had time to build and get playing. Powell's had to take over a shite team which has been seemingly lacking in confidence for years and he needs to be given time to make it his team before we start critisizing too much. Big difference and very odd if you can't see there's a big difference.
  • Options
    I love leroy.

That cf is on a wind up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]This may sound silly, but if we are exactly the same now as we were under Parky, then what's the point in sacking him for Powell? I'd be willing to bet that we would be no worse off now if we had Parky at the helm, with the backing from Slater and Co.

To be honest we actually created more chances tonight and Saturday than we did in the 4 wins. However I feel that Powell hasalready made some very poor decisions. Starting Abbott on the basis of one good half and then lumping it to him whilst he was isolated is one of them. Playing BWP and Eccleston on the wing is another. Starting Macca ahead of Racon,playing Jenkinson Left Back, letting Francis take all the set pieces, subbing players when the game is already lost (Exeter game) are several more that spring to mind as I type, and I know he's literally only just started the job, but I would have preferred these mistakes to be ironed out in pre season friendlies and the very start of the season, not at the start of the run in of the season.

But seeing as he is in and we can't go back, how about Powell shows us exactly what he's made of and try to turn this mediocre team into something more cohesive and more consistent

sorry but how was playing Jenkinson at LB a very poor decision?

Because he played him in front of Fry, imo a better left back as he's left footed. I like Jenkinson but playing a right footed player at left back when you have a guy on the bench who's played in that position 20 odd times for us already doesn't make sense. Especially as it was Jenkinson's third start for us, and last time we tried it (with Solly)........ well, I think you know the rest
  • Options
    Jenkinson played better last night than Fry has ever played for us in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]This may sound silly, but if we are exactly the same now as we were under Parky, then what's the point in sacking him for Powell? I'd be willing to bet that we would be no worse off now if we had Parky at the helm, with the backing from Slater and Co.

To be honest we actually created more chances tonight and Saturday than we did in the 4 wins. However I feel that Powell hasalready made some very poor decisions. Starting Abbott on the basis of one good half and then lumping it to him whilst he was isolated is one of them. Playing BWP and Eccleston on the wing is another. Starting Macca ahead of Racon,playing Jenkinson Left Back, letting Francis take all the set pieces, subbing players when the game is already lost (Exeter game) are several more that spring to mind as I type, and I know he's literally only just started the job, but I would have preferred these mistakes to be ironed out in pre season friendlies and the very start of the season, not at the start of the run in of the season.

But seeing as he is in and we can't go back, how about Powell shows us exactly what he's made of and try to turn this mediocre team into something more cohesive and more consistent

sorry but how was playing Jenkinson at LB a very poor decision?

Parky got (rightfully) slated when he did the same thing with Solly, who is older and more (relatively) experienced. Maybe Jenkinson has a better chance of working out on his 'wrong' side but it's still a big gamble to take on a youngster.
  • Options
    I wonder whether Powell was trying to think ahead.

If Jenkinson CAN do a job at left back then Francis or Solly can play on the right which enables Fry to move into the middle in place of Doc whilst leaving Jacko in midfield.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My original position was that this was Parky's year to deliver and change things in the summer if we did not go up .

Reluctantly after Swindon I felt we had probably gone as far as we could under him . If the new board had gone for someone like Dennis Wise I would have expected instant promotion and demanded heads on a plate if this was not achieved .

They didn't and in SCP they have taken a risk and we have to accept at times as an inexpereinced manager he might make mistakes . I do not believe BWP would have signed for Parky but as SCP is a family friend he has joined and if we are still in this Division next year he will bag ( at least ) 20 goals if he stays fit. Had we had him the whole of this season then I suspect we would be in the top two . Had he played for us last season we would have been promoted.

My position for SCP is the same as Parky up until this season . He is currently playing with someone else's team and only the close season will start to correct that .

I will only start become critical if we do not get out of this Division over the next two seasons . Now our club is safe from administration I just want to enjoy going to Football and not feel the pressure that promotion is an imperitive in the future of the club but I accept we need to get back to the CCC as quickly as possible.

The board have shown massive faith in slashing season ticket prices for next season and appointed a Charlton man as manager . Let's now back them all the way.
  • Options
    Disco Dan....Guys why don't you look at the OS to see what Powell had to say.

His quotes:

On the goal we let in

"It was a poor goal conceded by us, and we then get a chance to get back in it and after that we are chasing the game"

Asked about the poor pitch

"No not at all. You have to adjust to it, that's what it's about.It's not for me to say if it is good or not. We turn up representing Charlton and you have to play the game to the best of your ability you have got to adapt to the conditions."

On our chances

""You can play and hang on for 90 minutes, get one chance take it and win 1-0 or you can create chances like we did tonight - and we did create a few - but you have to take them."

If that is not good enough then I seriously don't know what is...................

This was what i thought of the game, soz but i thought we played much better than them, the keeper should have got red, we should have scored.......we were the better side IMHO. Not happy we lost but not down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I've held my tongue for long enough.

Powell's inherited a shit team, has spent any money he had on the division's leading scorer (for a song, I might add) and is playing to a fanbase that is 80% made up of utter, utter tossers. Any of you who seriously think we are worse off under him, or are seriously suggesting he should be sacked/quit are either Palace mugs on a wind-up, have the intelligence of garden furniture, or are a c***.

Bwa ha haa!!
    Leroy, I have been known to disagree with your sentiments, but that one made coffee squirt out of my nose. Well said!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dickplumb Well if it was a shit team for, no wins in three games Powell, ergo it must have been a shit team for Parky. I would have liked some of you to have given Parky the same support that you are giving Powell.[/quote]

Parky bought the players, Powell did not;
    Parky played hoof ball, Powell does not;
    Parky had no CAFC connection - except being tainted by the previous era, Powell is a legend;
    Parky did not win at all in his first 8 games, Powell won his first 4;
  • Options
    Its very simple, Parky could do no right and Powell can do no wrong...

Neither of which change the fact that we Need an attack minder Midfielder(preferably creative) first and a decent centre back second...

Until that is done we are going to play front to back football and really on the front line creating its own chances...
  • Options
    I don't blame Powell.
    But calling your fellow supporters tossers because they have a different view is pretty childish.
    To say the least.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I've held my tongue for long enough.

Powell's inherited a shit team, has spent any money he had on the division's leading scorer (for a song, I might add) and is playing to a fanbase that is 80% made up of utter, utter tossers. Any of you who seriously think we are worse off under him, or are seriously suggesting he should be sacked/quit are either Palace mugs on a wind-up, have the intelligence of garden furniture, or are a c***.

Leroy Ambrose, I salute you. This should be carved in stone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Its very simple, Parky could do no right and Powell can do no wrong...

Neither of which change the fact that we Need an attack minder Midfielder(preferably creative) first and a decent centre back second...

Until that is done we are going to play front to back football and really on the front line creating its own chances...

Exactly right, Parky could do no right and Powell no wrong. Some of the worship of Powell makes me sick, he was a good left back who is a jolly nice man. Personally i would have gone for an experienced manager but i will support Powell for as long as he is Manager. But can we stop the blind faith and adoration of a rookie manager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Its very simple, Parky could do no right and Powell can do no wrong...

Exactly right, Parky could do no right and Powell no wrong. Some of the worship of Powell makes me sick, he was a good left back who is a jolly nice man. Personally i would have gone for an experienced manager but i will support Powell for as long as he is Manager. But can we stop the blind faith and adoration of a rookie manager.

So giving Parky time is because he was experienced is sensible but giving Powell time because he's a Rookie is blind faith adoration?
    Seeing as Parky inherited a better team than he left with and got the job after not being able to win a game and was given 2 seasons, difficult to say he was treated differently to Powell.
  • Options
    Face the facts everybody, if you run a blog this this, you get a slice of the population pie. We have everything from life here, old guys like me, youngsters hardly out of school, very intelligent people, and others whose talent lays elsewhere. The thing that binds us all together is a love of Charlton Athletic Football Club, we will inevitably reveal this on the site in different ways. Human nature dictates that poor results will draw some really daft behaviour from some, the person who demanded we replace Powell with Hoddle demonstrates that well, I suggest they seek help immediately.
    Can I remind you all that we are paying a new management team to run OUR Club, are we really going to appoint them and then spend our time hitting them with negative crap ? Heres my message to them :-

Hi Guys, that's quite a job you have taken on, and I understand you need time to get it right. I am 100% behind you, ignore the idiots, we WILL get there because we are Charlton !
  • Options
    Fantastic message Granpa. We certainly do seen to have a lot of people with different talents ;-)
  • Options
    I disagree with Leroy, I don't believe / would hate to that 80% of our fan base are tossers. I would say 80% are reasonable, realize Powell has a tough job and willing to give him lots of time. It's the 20% vocal minority though that are the loudest and spout (in my opinion) reactionary rubbish.

Other than that.... up there with the best post I've ever read on here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thecrazyaddick[/cite]Other than that.... up there with the best post I've ever read on here.

My thoughts exactly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leroy's post is bang on the money, well said that man
  • Options
    Completely agree with Leroy but would add one thing. CP has only been in the job - his first managers job - for what, 6 weeks?

It's understandable that people might have reservations about his inexperience and the fella is obviously going to make some mistakes from time to time. Doesn't everyone in a new job?

But anyone who completely writes him off after such a short space of time working with the resources at his disposal is a complete and utter buffoon, a nut nut, a clown with such little understanding of football (and life in general) that I really wonder why the bother watching the game (and also fear for their ability to do the simple things in life - like breath!)

As I said on the post match thread, unfortunately a lot of our fans are w**kers.
  • Options
    So Leroy, 80% of Charlton fans (that's about 11,000 of us at the next home game) are utter tossers and if you question Powell (and yourself) you're a c***

Is that how it is ?
  • Options
    Big difference between "questioning" and writing off/calling for his removal.
  • Options
    The Oracle's post says everyone who considers us worse off under Powell is a C (not sure if this gem was post edit).

Everyone needs to work out where they are in Leroy's 80 / 20 mix and consider their futures - ha ha.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, I'm clearly on the side of the good and righteous. Gotta go now, just off to church.
  • Options
    And me
  • Options
    So what position do i fit into Leroy in your incredibly simplistic post, 80% or the 20%.I have questioned the sacking of Parkinson and the appointment of a rookie manager Powell. I have supported Charlton for 50 years. I am a regular supporter of the U18s U16s and the Reserves when they were around. I am a Valley Gold member former Shareholder(a reasonable sum) and put up a fair amount of money in the Valley Investment Plan. I am entitled to my opinion without the implication that i am a tosser. I am not calling for Chris Powell to be sacked far from it. I feel that any new Manager should be given time to put their own stamp on the squad. All i was doing was questioning the treatment of Parkinson in relation to Powell. I thought forums like this were meant to encourage diverse views. Name calling is childish and unnecessary.
  • Options
    You're clearly on the cusp dickplumb - how much have you spent in the club shop over this season ? That could swing it for you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Well, I'm clearly on the side of the good and righteous. Gotta go now, just off to church.

"The Church of The Golden Lion" in Sydenham is calling.............