Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benni McCarthy

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Benni would be a good signing for us in my opinion.

It shows Powell is looking where Parky didn't for loan signings - the Premier league.
    Ok, ok i know west ham are sh** and are more of a yo-yo club not a REAL Premierleague side but still , the calibre of the player is what we need to gain promotion.
    If CP was to create a strike partnership of the leagues top scorer and a Prem player then i would be happy.
    That shows ambition.

Bit unfair to say that as we are no doubt going to fund some of McCarthys wages which Parky never had them sort of resources to do before the takeover.

McCarthy I'm wary about if it happens, he seems to me to be a player that thinks he has achieved all he has to and has nothing left to prove, if we are just going to get a half arsed player just counting down the days to his retirement then no thanks, it didn't work well with JFH.

If we get a McCarthy who fancies running around League One defences and being one of the best players in the League that'll be another matter and a good signing.
  • Options
    He's certainly not half-arsed!
  • Options
    I would like to see him here. I don't think Powell would have him here unless he thinks McCarthy could do a job for us.
    It does make me laugh when people moan on here about the fact that we have no quality players, yet one is mooted to be on his way and people still moan!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]people still moan!!!

I think this is a common occurrence regardless of what is happening : - )
  • Options
    Yup!
  • Options
    He is on £60,000 a week at West Ham, they are prepared to pay 80% of that.

He is unfit, He is overweight. But If he want's to play football and prove himself and has the right attitude then he could be a good addition. He offers Strength and Aerial Ability only other forward to offer that is Anysinah imo, as for a Target Man I'm not sure, I'm gutted we don't have Deon Burton to link up with Wright-Phillips.

Also noticed that Illunga didn't make West Ham's 25 man cut, send Bessone back to Leeds, get Illunga in at Left Back move Fry to Centre Back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]bring him in........ what have we got to lose... nothing I say....
    Assuming we don't pay any of his wages and it doesn't upset the other players having a bloater on massive wages in their place.

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, it's just that we simply don't know. If we're paying anything other than a nominal % of his wages and he's losing more than a nominal proportion of his belly, it'll be horrible. If he's desperate for a last hurrah and captures a small percentage of his former glories and we're not paying for him, it'll be amazing.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]bring him in........ what have we got to lose... nothing I say....[/quote]

Agreed. Can''t believe people are being sniffy about him. We're L1 for Christs sake!
  • Options
    My wet spam supporting mate just said this: "glad to see the back of that parasite"

Hmmm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AddickRam[/cite]He is on £60,000 a week at West Ham, they are prepared to pay 80% of that.

£12k per week? No thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedMist[/cite]My wet spam supporting mate just said this: "glad to see the back of that parasite"

Hmmm.[/quote]

But they wont see the back of him if he comes here on loan!! The Hammers will still be paying the majority of his wages!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkok Dave[/cite]This is something to be excited about. A bit of character, a bit of glamour. It'll be up to Powell to get his attitude right. But if he decides to come then that tells you something about the guys attitude, could just sit at West Ham and do nothing for 5 months.

I think you'll find that is his much preferred option.

Thank goodness for some genuine inside information on his thinking. Are you his agent, by any chance?
    [cite]Posted By: AddickRam[/cite]He is on £60,000 a week at West Ham, they are prepared to pay 80% of that.

He is unfit, He is overweight. But If he want's to play football and prove himself and has the right attitude then he could be a good addition. He offers Strength and Aerial Ability only other forward to offer that is Anysinah imo, as for a Target Man I'm not sure, I'm gutted we don't have Deon Burton to link up with Wright-Phillips.

Also noticed that Illunga didn't make West Ham's 25 man cut, send Bessone back to Leeds, get Illunga in at Left Back move Fry to Centre Back.

The Torygraph article says he lost the excess weight in the close season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

£12k per week? No thanks.

For about 8 weeks. Not much if he contributes to the goals that take us up.
  • Options
    From Powell's comments this seems to be a case of him be offered rather than us chasing but who knows.

As to what have we got to lose well there is the Opportunity Cost

If we spend the £12k a week AddickRam suggests that WHU want on McCarthy then we can't spend it on A N Other player or even A N Other two or three players.

Takes up one of the five loan positions in the squad. OK we don't have to name him in the 18 but if not why are we bringing him in.

Is he an improvement on what we have or could get elsewhere? When he was fully fit then he was better than BWP, Anyinsah and Eccleston put together IMHO. Is he still that player?
  • Options
    Benni-McCarthy-fat.png
  • Options
    hmmm, I can't see this one working out for the best...I think I'd rather have someone like Steve Howard.
  • Options
    Completely unsure of this one!

On one hand....FFS NO! Overweight, poor attitude and if West Ham fans are to be believe are right waste of space (a large space) & money!

On the other....Premiership to L1....Surely he would be a goalscoring hero, dropping 2 leagues? a geniuine goalscoring target man? if we dont pay too much wages?

On the other hand....hold on that's 3! i, off for a guimess!
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: davy macaddick[/cite] off for a guimess!

Think you've had enough already..
  • Options
    How can you already be judging the man, he could do really well in our league like yakubu is in the championship! Give him a chance.
  • Options
    He's on £38k a week not £60k

Can't remember where I read it but pretty sure I did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    gamble... at 12k far out thats a big gamble... but he was mustard on his day and would score hatricks of goals ... but has he still got it in him... well if can still do it in the fat ronaldo mold for corinthians then great... could it be another JFH well maybe not fat arse was playing agaisnt prem level defenders old Macarthy would be playing against a bunch of has beens/never will be/ generally rubbish players...

Also Powells strength is that everyone in football loves him and he could just get into mccarthys mind and squeeze one more 15 game run out of him...

We deserve a bit of luck with one of these...
  • Options
    Still not sure about this he should be far better than any player we have.

Should we be spending £12k a week (or whatever it would cost) on any player at this level?

Spending more than players were worth on fees and wages is a big reason we are in this league.

McCarthy would surely be a quick fix to try to guarantee promotion. Weren't we looking to build slowly and not spend big money? £12k over 2 or 3 months isn't loads but it is for a player at this level who we'd only have for about 15 games.

Could be brilliant but could also cause problems when it comes to things team spirit.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On that leaked spreadsheet that said West Ham players wages it said he was on just over 38k a week.

West Ham denied it was the correct figures for the salaires but I wouldn't be surprised if it was correct.

Edit: So that would mean us paying about 4k a week for him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Still not sure about this he should be far better than any player we have.

Should we be spending £12k a week (or whatever it would cost) on any player at this level?

Spending more than players were worth on fees and wages is a big reason we are in this league.

McCarthy would surely be a quick fix to try to guarantee promotion. Weren't we looking to build slowly and not spend big money? £12k over 2 or 3 months isn't loads but it is for a player at this level who we'd only have for about 15 games.

Could be brilliant but could also cause problems when it comes to things team spirit.

I see your point, but I think he could add alot to our games. We often put balls into the box (some are very bad, but not all of them) and apart from BWP, we dont really have a player with the movement and heading ability to make the most of them. I think BM can do that and he is also got a great shot on him. If the wages are reasonable, I say he is worth a punt
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]On that leaked spreadsheet that said West Ham players wages it said he was on just over 38k a week.

West Ham denied it was the correct figures for the salaires but I wouldn't be surprised if it was correct.

Edit: So that would mean us paying about 4k a week for him.[/quote]

At 4k .. and if Powells scopes him out and hes not a spirit sapping wheelbarrow puppet hat, then go for it...
  • Options
    Already spotted in Nandos with Eccelston

0001burger.jpg
  • Options
    People keep saying Steve Howard, have you seen the size of him aswell?
  • Options
    Mentioned that Parky didn't look in the Premiership for loan signings, obviously wrong straight up as Fry is from West Ham, but also seeing as we were so broke that he apparently helped to pay for one of our loan signings last season, looking towards the Premiership for players wouldn't have been a wise move. Lastly, the 25 man squad has only been in effect this season, so this time 12 months ago there would have been no chance of Konchesky, Young, Yakubu, Bellamy etc. dropping down to the Championship, let alone League 1.
  • Options
    they sound good, how about konchesky, young, yakubu, and Bellamy... I reckon we could make with play offs with those..
  • Options
    I think we have nothing to lose and the idea excites me , but so did signing John Barnes,Jesper Blomqvist and JFH . Whilst all of those did not live up to expectations they all had their moments and we were in the Prem then . Barnes rolled back the years at Upton Park against Wham in one of the best individual performances I have seen from an Addick but almost needed a wheelchair to leave the ground , Blomqvist looked the part against Exeter in the Cup against lower league opposition and JFH scored impressive goals against his old clubs Chelsea and Middlesborough .

The difference here is we are at a much lower level and each of those would have been impressive in this league IMHO and remember the other recent veteren marquee signing was Paolo Di Canio who was instrumental in the best and most successful Charlton team I have known .

Having lost Abbott we are a striker short in the squad , my one concern is what kind of striker is Benni ?

He has a year left of his Wham contract , clearly he has no future there . A good spell with us could see him back in the spotlight and a Prem move in the summer . Whilst we could have the sort of boost Melrose gave us in Lennie's era during the run in , it might actually boost morale .

I think he might also attract a modest increase in the crowd as a former Champions League winner .