Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benni McCarthy

Comments

• Options
    The reason I called for Steve Howard is not because he's any lighter, but because i'm more confident about his attitude and application!
  • Options
    As long as he isnt a crap clown nutacase sprit stealer, my votes yes...
  • Options
    I seem to recall that Benni McCarthy is a mate of Shaun Bartlett's, and that Shaun even mentioned trying to persuade him to sign for Charlton back in the Premier days. It could be that he knows a little about us already and might come with a little more commitment than we might expect.
  • Options
    Not really sure what the purpose behind this loan would be...as has been said here already the owners gave the impression that steady growth was the aim this season. Surely there is more need for a midfielder and at least one more defender to provide a balanced squad. Remember the glut of strikers who failed to make a mark a couple of seasons ago? As Abbott was not on loan we do not get an increased loan allocation following his departure. I don't see the sense in bringing in another striker. BWP has already proven he can do the job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]Not really sure what the purpose behind this loan would be...as has been said here already the owners gave the impression that steady growth was the aim this season. Surely there is more need for a midfielder and at least one more defender to provide a balanced squad. Remember the glut of strikers who failed to make a mark a couple of seasons ago? As Abbott was not on loan we do not get an increased loan allocation following his departure. I don't see the sense in bringing in another striker. BWP has already proven he can do the job.

He has a dodgy knee, what if he gets injured? Then we could be short.
  • Options
    £10k per week on a sub?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]£10k per week on a sub?

As long as it's a foot long Meatball Marinara then that's value for money
  • Options
    if he's on 38k pw and we are paying 20% then that is still 7.6k pw. Will he be worth it ? I doubt it. Will he add bums on seats, no way. He's no David Beckham. Added to fitness issues I'd say a definate no thanks. It's very rare for players of his pedigree to drop to League 1. Ok Yakubu went to Leicester but the Championship is a light year from where we are now. Also why are no Championship clubs jumping to sign him for a promotion push or relegation fight ? No, got bad vibes on this. Rather spend the wages money to ensure we can get a CH, CM and a target man even if he doesn't have PL experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]if he's on 38k pw and we are paying 20% then that is still 7.6k pw. Will he be worth it ? I doubt it. Will he add bums on seats, no way. He's no David Beckham. Added to fitness issues I'd say a definate no thanks. It's very rare for players of his pedigree to drop to League 1. Ok Yakubu went to Leicester but the Championship is a light year from where we are now. Also why are no Championship clubs jumping to sign him for a promotion push or relegation fight ? No, got bad vibes on this. Rather spend the wages money to ensure we can get a CH, CM and a target man even if he doesn't have PL experience.

Agree, and we could possibly get all of those on loan for the same price (paying 40-50% of wages instead of 20%).
  • Options
    Not sure he is winding down for retirement like some have said on here when he can just collect his £2.7 million wages for the next 18 months or whatever he has left on his contract. He has been reported as saying that he is desperate for 1st team football. He has been trialed for a loan at QPR but they did not take him on. My feeling is that he really want's to play footie and is not one who will just sit back and take the money which is what he can do now if he wants. Get him in for a month to see what he can do I say. Apparently, he has lost the weight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell post matcxh interview when asked about McCarthy....

"No, I don't know where that story's come from....We haven't contacted West Ham and thay haven't contacted us....If he was a plaer i'd look to bring in i'd make the call myself. There's manymany players we are looking at............IT interests me because IT'S a Qality player but i think you've got to look at so many different factors with a player like that, you know is he right mentally, is he physically ok, finanvially he's a premership player.......So many different factors for me to even entertain trying to get a plaer of his quality here."
  • Options
    Apparantly during an interview yesterday Benni McCarthy has claimed that he rejected a move to Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday as he believes that he can still play at the 'highest level' - yeah dream on fat boy - we don't want you anyway!
  • Options
    I was told this was complete nonsense last night by someone who works at the club. Apparently though we have signed/on the verge of signing a forward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I was told this was complete nonsense last night by someone who works at the club. Apparently though we have signed/on the verge of signing a forward.

FFS! Another forward. We need a new defence (barring jenks)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I was told this was complete nonsense last night by someone who works at the club. Apparently though we have signed/on the verge of signing a forward.

FFS! Another forward. We need a new defence (barring jenks)

Apparently it's someone from The Championship - but that could mean anything so not getting too excited.

We need a left back, a centre half and at least two central midfielder's in my opinion. Doubt that will happen until the summer though. Looks like we're stuck with what we've got for the time being! Fun.
  • Options
    Please forget about signing more strikers, they are not the problem. We could have Messi, Villa and pedro up front but if we're not giving them any service, and then making ridiculous defensive errors, we're still going to lose games.
    We need a central defence and a creative midfielder, these should be our priority.
  • Options
    I think we need a new goalie too. New goalie, 2 CB's, a LB, 2 CM's.

BWP, Anyinsah, Benson, Eccles, Waggy isnt a bad selection for forwards. BWP is scoring without a decent amount of service. If you dont concede, you dont lose. Sort out the defence!
  • Options
    To me mccarthy looks too much like a Pardew type loan. A player totally unfit who would come for one reason - to help get fit. I also think we have much greater priorities than a striker. A central midfielder would be my my one followed a centre half
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]I think we need a new goalie too. New goalie, 2 CB's, a LB, 2 CM's.

Until we can release Fry we only have two loan places in the squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Apparently though we have signed/on the verge of signing a forward.
    Disagree with others, this is good news. Without Anyinsah we have no physical presence up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Apparently though we have signed/on the verge of signing a forward.
    Disagree with others, this is good news. Without Anyinsah we have no physical presence up front.

You normally give a very reasoned argument Scoham, and although I agree with logic in the physical presence, your solution seems at best a 'punt into the unknown'. I am certainly not going to pretend that Benson is the answer, but surely this waste of space, mind you his a 'big waste of space' and from someone who could shift a few stone, perhaps I should just cite JFH!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

You normally give a very reasoned argument Scoham, and although I agree with logic in the physical presence, your solution seems at best a 'punt into the unknown'. I am certainly not going to pretend that Benson is the answer, but surely this waste of space, mind you his a 'big waste of space' and from someone who could shift a few stone, perhaps I should just cite JFH!
    Didn't mean it to sound like I want us to play a long ball game, but we need someone who can hold up the ball and bring the quick/skillful players into the game more.

See Burton last season - not tall, not someone to hoof it up to, but strong for his size, good touch and linked the play.

Any combination of BWP, Eccleston and Waggy are just too similar for me. If not a physical presence, next best thing would be a Mooney type player to drop deep. Benson probably the closest we have to that I suppose.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Various sources saying McCarthy has rejected the chance to join us, even though Powell today admitted that he's been batting his eyes in Benny's direction.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Leaburn[/cite]Various sources saying McCarthy has rejected the chance to join us, even though Powell today admitted that he's been batting his eyes in Benny's direction.

Where has he admitted that then?
  • Options
    Rich Cawley from the SLP Tweeted this today

West Ham striker Benni McCarthy still on the loan radar of #cafc. One issue at moment is only just back from injury. #whu
  • Options
    that aint McCarthy on the radar its a real jumbo landing at Heathrow.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just released, one of the triallists in our defeat to Fulham?
  • Options
    benni mccarthy on trial with charlton! doesnt anyone care! that is big time
  • Options
    He is big time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Leaburn[/cite]He is big time

Massive time