Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sack Powell before it is TOO LATE (old thread)

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]People can moan all they want about these threads popping up here, there and everywhere but the very fact there are so many surley speaks volumes. I personally think he will walk very soon but if not then Mr Slater you know what to do.[/quote]

It will be interesting to see what happens in the aftermath of our humiliation, and i do mean humiliation, against Southampton on Tuesday night.[/quote]
    well in the past we have come back when we have least. expected it
  • Options
    The term ' you never know with Charlton ' has lost its meaning these days, we do know... where gana loose 3-0+
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Pathetically fickle. Hailed as the MEssiah just 8 weeks ago.

He deserves our support until his contract expires.

Who was the last Charlton manager to leave after his contract expired?
    Not Curbs. He had a year left, but Murray did not want a lame duck.
    Parky had this season to go.
    Pardew had more time to run.
    Reed and Dowie were here for weeks, not the years they signed for.

Was it Lennie? Did he have any time left when he went to Middlesborough?

In any case, you support the manager until you don't believe he can deliver what is necessary, and realistic.

Powell hasn't had nearly enough time to make a decision on him. It all looked good after four matches. It hasn't looked good since then.
    These are not his players, so it is tough to judge if he has the players to play the way that he wants to play.

We will know if he is up to the job long before his contract expires.
    We don't know that answer right now.
  • Options
    is it powell that is doing a job way below par with a decent squad struggling for form and motivation or was parky doing an exceptional job by motivating and grinding out results with a truly awful bunch? - hindsight is a wonderful thing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ever seen Charlton in the 4th Division? I haven't, In fact we have NEVER been there but unless something changes we might well end up there.
  • Options
    It was a silly, snap appointment to appease the huge bunch of cretins who boo when a ball is played backwards

But to sack him now would be even more moronic than sacking manager of the month
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dave2l[/cite]Its a bad stupid thing to do but I believe Powell is experimenting for next season and has wrote this season off himself. We are loosing so its understandable but hes changing the team around dramatically every game, it certainly does not look like we are playing for points anyway. Its not looking good but I think he will come good in the end. Hes either clueless or apart of him is looking at the bigger picture.[/quote]

Truly bizarre statement!! You don't come into a job where a team are 5th (with games in hand) and decide to write the season off! It's not rocket science! Once a team start a poor streak of form it's difficult to get out of the rut (and in the case of CAFC they are/were regarded as a 'big' club in this league so therefore attract greater negative press interest - psychological knock on effect to the players). It's at this point where the management 'team' really earn their crust and instill a bit of self-belief in the players! And whether or not the rumours are true, when players start hearing/reading about a summer 'mass exodus' the impact it will have on them can be fatal. How would you feel going to work everyday knowing that those who run your organisation don't give a toss about you? My guess is that you would just turn up, do the minimum, pick up your wages and look for the next opportunity to do one! Maybe that is what is happening here? Because prior to the 'takeover' and new management coming in, whether we like it or not, the 'team' were more of a cohesive unit under Parkinson. There is a bigger picture here and I think it is above the Chris Powell level.
  • Options
    Or you could roll up your sleeves and show the management that you are a professional footbballer.
  • Options
    Sacking Powell would be almost, but not quite as stupid as sacking Parky when we did.

Time to get behind the players as much as we can, as hard as it seems at the moment.

We are staying up.
  • Options
    its already too late, so not much point except maybe guiding us to safety

Our team are enigmatic at best, and riddled with injuries and Powell doesn't seem have the ability to get much out of them, or turn it around once the slide has occurred. I was never a fan of Eriksons style personally and Powell seems somewhat reminiscent of that.

I wonder how long the slide will continue before the board act
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone keeps saying it could be because the players know there will be a big turnaround in the summer, which I neither agree or dis-agree with but can someone please tell me who these players would be? because im struggling to see who out of are squad would possibly have that attitude; McCormack, Francis, Benson maybe? but only one was playing today.
  • Options
    whoever is in charge of this pile of shite squad would struggle, ok we was in a better position under parky but we was only papering over the cracks the writing has been on the wall for a long time,the players in this squad are simply not good enough , watched the game yesterday it was worse than terrible it seems the players have lost heart maybe few have been told their contracts aint gonna be renewed, so maybe bring in a few younger players and whether thats under chris powell or somebody else who knows but we really need to start bringing our academy players through and stop bringing in loanees and signing mediocre shite players from other teams especially teams that have been relegated.
  • Options
    The squad is and was only a part of the problem .. since Powell's arrival he has brought in a half crocked striker (Wright-Phillips) and a bunch of callow youths .. Reid, Wagstaff, Francis for example have been marginalised .. his 'tactics' are non existent Powell has the mentality of a youth coach and not of the manager of a seasoned bunch of professionals .. sorry .. he's gotta go before CAFC goes the way of my second favorite team, Grimsby .. sinking and struggling to stay above water
  • Options
    He hasn't "got to go". And are you suggesting that signing the leagues top scorer was a BAD move? Weird.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lincsaddick[/cite]The squad is and was only a part of the problem .. since Powell's arrival he has brought in a half crocked striker (Wright-Phillips) and a bunch of callow youths .. Reid, Wagstaff, Francis for example have been marginalised .. his 'tactics' are non existent Powell has the mentality of a youth coach and not of the manager of a seasoned bunch of professionals .. sorry .. he's gotta go before CAFC goes the way of my second favorite team, Grimsby .. sinking and struggling to stay above water

Wagstaff has mostly played under CP. Reid and Francis have been dreadful.

And no: he hasn't "gotta go" before he's had any chance to assemble his own squad. That would be madness.
  • Options
    Powell is learning some harsh lessons at the moment - particularly about man management. You don't tell a bunch of players they might not get their contracts renewed and then expect them to go out and play with any freedom. They are either going to underperform because they will be scared to make a mistake, or they may think twice about a 50/50 given what happened to Basey last season.

The other skill he needs to pick up is pragmatism. I'm sure every manager in football wants their team to play beautiful barcelonaesque passing football, but if you ain't got the players you play the style and system that suits the resources at your disposal

He also needs to understand (as do the fans) that the table doesn't lie and we are where we are for a reason. The fact that we're a big club in this league and have a big budget and "good"(!) players doesn't mean we've a right to the points. We need to go out there and earn them.

If we had a run like this under Curbs, or Parky, we'd have been playing with 5 across the middle and parking the bus just to get a point for at least the last 4 games

Evens on Southampton will look very attractive if we start with two up top on Tuesday
  • Options
    Excellent post, Imnot
  • Options
    Agree Imnot, we need to start playing ugly until we can some momentum.
  • Options
    Sort the defense out and the attack will look after itself....its only basic stuff, yet we cant even get that right.....Good shout Imnot by the way and I have to agree wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Winters-Dawn post #3 sums it up for me. Imnot's post is spot on too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you would have thought cp would atleast get the defence right hes supposed to know about that good call imnot
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Winters-Dawn post #3 sums it up for me. Imnot's post is spot on too.

at last, an intelligent person, the man needs time to get HIS team together, i mean the man brought in BWP, and you cant complain about his scoring record so far
  • Options
    what are we gonna gain by sacking CP nothink if we go down then even one will be say we was better off with CP i dont think it the manger i think it the team lack off confindent i was disgusted at the reaction after the daggenham game it was over the top
  • Options
    CHRIS POWELL - THE LEGEND

Chris do yourself and Charlton all a big favour by resigning now.

If things do not improve very soon the only Legend status you will be remembered by, is being most incompetent manager in the history of the club.

Your managerial CV is breathtaking

1. Takes over a club in the playoff positions.
    2. Strengthens the squad by recruiting the leading goal scorer in the division.
    3. In 10 weeks turns the club from promotion hopefuls to possible relegation.
    4. The club is now in arguably their worst position in their entire 106 year history
    5. Oversees a run of 1 draw and 7 defeats from the last 8 games

You are so out of your depth it is painful to watch.
  • Options
    bit harsh dickie
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razorray0[/cite]bit harsh dickie[/quote]

Harsh but true?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razorray0[/cite]bit harsh dickie

Harsh but true?

I would say true
  • Options
    sadly harsh but true
  • Options
    No 2nd teams Lincs, your either Charlton or your not. Next point, you must be having a laugh
    quetioning Bradley Wright Phillips with what he adds to the team, granted not a lot outside the box.
    Just my opinion of course and understandably were all getting frustrated, bring on next season!
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's true, something isn't working. I also believe that the word legend is over used these days. 5 caps for England and jumping out of the tunnel after a home win doesn't make you a legend. Gentleman unquestionably, which is very respectable in an industry like this, but if he's a legend what term do you use to describe the likes of Sam Bartram, Jimmy Seed or Keith Peacock?