Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sack Powell before it is TOO LATE (old thread)

1235»

Comments

• Options

Good things come to those who wait.

OK, 8 games doth not a summer make, but now he isn't saddled with Parky's squad things look a bit brighter, eh?

Jury is still out until November!
  • Options

OK, 8 games doth not a summer make, but now he isn't saddled with Parky's squad things look a bit brighter, eh?

You mean now he has been backed with real funds we have a squad that is capable.  CP has done a lot right, but still has a lot to prove, particularly when it comes to changing a game from the touchline.
  • Options
    I personally think Powell has done well this summer. He has picked his squad and I hope he proves all of the negative skeptics wrong. Even on saturday people were starting to boo and get on a few players backs. Charlton for the league 

Get a new forward and a another winger (left) and defender all on loan....IF needed.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Some people must be feeling right mugs with the resurection of this thread.
  • Options

You mean now he has been backed with real funds we have a squad that is capable.  CP has done a lot right, but still has a lot to prove, particularly when it comes to changing a game from the touchline.
    Well he hasnt been able to prove it because in more than 750 minutes of football his team has only been behind for ten of them (at Bury)

• Options
    Just shows the squad we had last year was not good enough.

• Options
    yeah 7 games in absolute mugs. So many of our fans forget the past so quickly and get carried away.
  • Options
    I don't want to open old wounds and dwell on the past, we knew/hoped their would be major surgery in the Summer, but I couldn't have expected as much change to have happened.
  • Options

why still dig at Parkinson? Where were we at this point last season? Could all still go wrong. I hope it doesn't but head my warning. :•)
  • Options

Comparing the conditions Powell is now operating under and those that Parkinson was operating under last year is an exercise in futility.

Powell has had probably the biggest budget in the division and has bought the cream of the available L1 crop in Wiggins, Hollands, Stephens, BWP, Morrison, Taylor and Hayes (to name a few).

By contrast, going into last season Parkinson had hardly any money and had to buy from relegated Southend, mid-table Oldham (Abbott) and only got to spend real money on Benson from D&R - and also lost his best players in close season.

Pointless re-living this debate.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The difference is these players would most likely not of signed if Parkinson was still in charge end of. He has moved on and I suggest we do as well by leaving it in the past where it should now be left! 
  • Options

Comparing the conditions Powell is now operating under and those that Parkinson was operating under last year is an exercise in futility.

Powell has had probably the biggest budget in the division and has bought the cream of the available L1 crop in Wiggins, Hollands, Stephens, BWP, Morrison, Taylor and Hayes (to name a few).

By contrast, going into last season Parkinson had hardly any money and had to buy from relegated Southend, mid-table Oldham (Abbott) and only got to spend real money on Benson from D&R - and also lost his best players in close season.

Pointless re-living this debate.

Exactly this. Yawn
  • Options
    Crikey. Its cringeworthy looking back at some of the posts. Telling him to walk and getting dennis wise in until the end of the season.

Early days still but CP will learn new things every day.

Keep up the good work chrissy
  • Options
    The difference is these players would most likely not of signed if Parkinson was still in charge end of. He has moved on and I suggest we do as well by leaving it in the past where it should now be left! 

I'd imagine those players signed because we're one of the biggest clubs in the league, offered good contracts and the club now have long term ambitions.

Also remember Powell's record last season was very poor and Parky was far more proven as a manager. Plenty of players have signed for the bigger League 1 clubs, whoever the manager was.
  • Options
    yeah 7 games in absolute mugs. So many of our fans forget the past so quickly and get carried away.
    ........Or can see rebuilding when they see it and maintain a bit of
    loyalty - just read the first post on the thread.
  • Options
    People need to get a grip! seriously.

Watch the 99/00 season review VHS and see if we were invincible in that season.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for Lincs to join this / his discussion to admit that he was wrong once again  (IMO).
  • Options
    I'm waiting for Lincs to join this / his discussion to admit that he was wrong once again  (IMO).

well fans what to say?.   My opinion when written six months ago was right for the times. Things have moved on apace.  Powell has been given the owner's complete confidence, money to spend  and he and  his colleagues have spent that money well during the close season and appear to have built the foundations of a good side. I hope of course that the successful start to the season continues and that appearances turn out not to be deceptive. I am still concerned that away from home, in the cold, against physically bigger more ruthless teams we may be found wanting. We will see. At the very least Powell has designed a side to play good attacking football through midfield whilst keeping a solid defence. Against Sheffield Wednesday however the plan went wrong and whatever the reason for that needs to be sorted out. Also, against a mediocre Exeter side playing for most of the match with just 10 men, I understand that the performance was quite unconvincing. I wasn't there so cannot really comment. I have been to just two away games at Bury and Notts County and will say that on both occasions any of the three possibilities, win, lose or draw would have been appropriate. We of course won both games without playing like champions elect.  What could not be denied at Notts and Bury was the team's determination and togetherness. I REALLY hope this grit and graft can be replicated at the Valley. I see from another post here today that Hayes has become a target for the fans'  ire. I have said on here before that in my 45+ years off and on as a 'valleygoer' that a large part of the crowd has needed a (yes it's a cliché but none the less true) whipping boy. If the home fans turn on the team we are doomed. At the moment Powell is successful and so is the team, so far, so far.

When interviewed on TV, each time I see him, Powell looks and sounds increasingly erudite and confident. The thoroughly modern manager.  I know that at season's end, in the event that we do not get promoted many adoring Powellites will be on here baying for his blood, head and probably his intestines. Such is football.

• Options

Lincs said :-His was a silly appointment and the owner should swallow his pride, admit his mistake, cut his losses and pay Chris Powell off now, appoint (say) a Magilton or a Johnson to get us through the remainder of this shipwreck of a season and then have a total re-think of all playing and management staff and strategy for next season. If Powell stays second (i.e. fourth) division football is a distict possibility. He is incapable of picking a winning team or even a team with any tactical nous or fighting spirit.Powell is simply clueless and it can't go on. 

I don't think the above was right for the times, you pre judged him unfairly. BTW Gary Johnson is also doing really well at Northampton  :-)

I think you should be man enough to admit you couldn't have been more wrong.

• Options
    Bump