Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sack Powell before it is TOO LATE (old thread)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2011
    they may have wanted him out but i'm sure they would have preferred he won every game and led us to glory
  • Options
    Like you said, we have our fair share of "divvy twunts"
  • Options
    furry muff
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Unlike Parkinson's tenure - I think every single Charlton fan wants this to work out spectacularly well.

so you think we had fans who under parky didn't want us to be a roaring success

i mean we have more than our fair share of divvy twunts but surely we all want us to do spectacularly well!
    Worded weirdly but I honestly think, this season especially, that there were plenty of fans - regardless of results and league position - wanted Parkinson out.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. A few kids chanted a f**k off Parky chant which was met with the reaction it deserved. All Charlton fans want us to do spectacularly well.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    So you never heard comments after the game or on here like "I don't care if we won, he's still sh*t and we'd be better off with xxx, xxx, xxx" or "We may well be 5th but he should never be in the job after getting us relegated regardless" etc etc.

Because I certainly did. It wasnt about results, it was about the man. Of course everyone wanted to see us win, just some not with him in charge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]they may have wanted him out but i'm sure they would have preferred he won every game and led us to glory
    didn't sound like it at times
  • Options
    whoopie I love these posts. I have not read one word of this thread, simply opened it to say this.

All the negativity is not helping and all you doom merchants should post all your bile in one thread and not keep clogging up the whole forum.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]So you never heard comments after the game or on here like "I don't care if we won, he's still sh*t and we'd be better off with xxx, xxx, xxx" .
    Correct.
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]or "We may well be 5th but he should never be in the job after getting us relegated regardless" etc etc.
    I read posts that he should not have been given the job in the first place and that he wasn't doing as well as other managers and should've preformed better with the finances he had, all reasonable opinions. I must have missed the alternative motive.
  • Options
    The problem is who will replace him if he's pushed?

The names out there at the moment are all manager's that have been sacked for not producing the goods or out of our reach.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]The problem is who will replace him if he's pushed?

The names out there at the moment are all manager's that have been sacked for not producing the goods or out of our reach.
    Yes, that was the problem with getting rid of Parky, back to square one again, again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE9SE9
    edited March 2011
    Get Dennis Wise in till the end of the season, I would rather us do well with someone that has a nasty side (or any other bad things people have to say about him) then a mr nice guy that may even see us relegated!

I didn't want either Powell or Wise to be the manager but would have choose Wise out of the two due to he has more experience .
  • Options
    This management lark is out of control these days, expectations are too high and need to be lowered.

My views (in a nutshell as could talk for hours)

Curbs- Every Charlton fan knows what happened, fans got bored of starting every season poorly and ending very poorly with no progression.

Dowie- Promised good football and progression, was given only a few months and was sacked for various reasons which are still hearsay.

Reed- Very out-of-depth and wrong time in season (november), looked as if players wanted to play for Dowie not Reed.

Pardew- Arrogance shone through, average manager who rode off his west ham achievements (2). Good appointment at the time but bad tactics, bad use of the loan market, didn't know his best team and financially disastrous decisions on players cost him.

Parky - Wrong time for him to take over as manager (november), couldn't motivate arrogant players, got relegated, inconsistency in 2009/10 season cost us an automatic place. Didn't like dropping his favorites. Cleared out deadwood in summer (mouta, mcleod, Dickson). Started season OK, sacked when 5th in league after a period of inconsistency.

Powell - Started off with 4 wins which weren't convincing. Since then hasn't been able to motivate Parky's players, has used the loan market in the same way as Pards instead of trying to get the best out of players that are good enough for this league (which was one of his and the boards intentions when he took over) and have shown earlier in the season and to be honest it doesn't look good at the moment.

If you see in my points, there is a big trend with the managers.

If Powell goes we need to get away from the Dowie, Pardew and Parky era's. Get a manager in who will have his own ideas and hasn't had any employment within the club. KTF!
  • Options
    If the board had appointed Dennis Wise as manager instead of Chris Powell, and Dennis Wise had turned the clubs fortunes from promotion hopefuls to absolute rubbish in 10 weeks playing awful football with 1 draw and 7 defeats from the last 8 games every Charlton fan bar none would be calling for his head.

All Charlton fans want success for the club. The harsh reality of football management is that managers sink or swim on their results. If there was any sign of improvement whatsoever I would say give Chris a chance. The reality is that with every game things are getting worse.

This downturn in our fortunes is fast developing into a crisis. The board needs to sell season tickets for next season and if this downturn continues the season ticket renewals will plummet. We will probably be looking at gates of below 10,000 next year, and all that hard work of target 10,000, target 15,000 etc will have been wasted.
  • Options
    Should have given Parky till the end of the season.....don't make the same mistake twice.

CP needs time and advice on building a new squad. Haven't we brought in someone to help with that? This constant sacking and turmoil has got us to where we are.
  • Options
    Watched MK v P'Boro on the box. Interesting how two teams that we regularly beat are now in the play off quartet. New managers, new players, new incentives. It is just not happening down at the valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]Should have given Parky till the end of the season.....don't make the same mistake twice.

CP needs time and advice on building a new squad. Haven't we brought in someone to help with that? This constant sacking and turmoil has got us to where we are.
    Not being able to bring in a decent replacement has led us to where we are now.
  • Options
    Palace fan in peace here. And not to gloat, (if that’s your initial thought) after all, we have nothing to gloat about.
    Just wanted to add a bit about the ongoing CP debate. You’ve got to give him some more time - at least till Oct / Nov this year. In the summer he can re-build and mould things his way. Getting rid now shouldn’t be considered. Its much more difficult these days for managers because people want instant success . Stick with him for now.
    As for your position you only need a few more points and you’re safe. Sheff Wednesday look certainties at the moment. You have your own ground, a decent fan base and a mostly well run club to support – nor is there any chance of you going out of business any time soon. Chin up you lot.

At the moment we’re just happy to have championship status, I hope we can keep it. In a season or two you’ll be back. And (even though you might not like this) like us, the very best either of our clubs can hope for is having the very occassional foray in to the prem, assuming neither of us gets taken over by billionaires.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    cheers Fishead, fair post
  • Options
    Fishead, are you related to Fishnets?
  • Options
    Cheers Fishead. You talk sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    But we have been taken over by billionaires and our occasional forays last more than one season plus you misspelt your name : - )

Otherwise a fair post. Welcome to Charlton life
  • Options
    no i'm not related to anyone fishlike, thankfully.

And indeed you enjoyed more than a foray.
    But its going to be very difficult to acchieve the same thing in the future.

The premiership is getting more and more closed shop. Remember years ago when Forest were promoted from Div 2 and then won the 1st division in their 1st season!! In fact i think they had it won by late March too! I doubt that'll ever happen again.
    I'm resigned to being happy with championship status these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fishead[/cite]no i'm not related to anyone fishlike, thankfully.

And indeed you enjoyed more than a foray.
    But its going to be very difficult to acchieve the same thing in the future.

The premiership is getting more and more closed shop. Remember years ago when Forest were promoted from Div 2 and then won the 1st division in their 1st season!! In fact i think they had it won by late March too! I doubt that'll ever happen again.
    I'm resigned to being happy with championship status these days.

Agree, and when you do stay up the problems increase. Your spending increases and if you go down then you are in a real mess.

West Brom have a different model where there don't spend and yo-yo. Right now I'd settle happily for that. For how long I don't know.
  • Options
    I think after what we have been through -(and what we are being through) we will be accepting of a lot less for quite some time to come. 'Oh what I wouldn't give to be spat at in the face' as it were.
  • Options
    I don't care what ooharh says, I honestly don't want to return to the premiership.

As for Powell, does it have to take until November before we know if he's any good?
  • Options
    If we keep going on as we are now till the end of the season, I will guarantee that Powell won't be in charge for next season, whatever Slater or the board says. These are important weeks coming up for him and I hope he comes through them. I really do.
  • Options
    I agree with MuttleyCAFC. I have just received in the post my letter from Michael Slater. Reading between the lines it is obvious that season ticket sales must be really poor. Clearly the board are unhappy and they know that the fans are also unhappy. It is going to be a difficult month for both Chris Powell and the Board.
  • Options
    Not many are going to be rushing to renew in the middle of the depressing form we are in - had they launched the scheme during the 4 game winning run many more people would have signed up. People will eventually after a win or two and some green shoots appear but it will be in their own time. For a lot of people, Charlton is something they want to try to put out of their minds at the moment. Obviously, we don't because we spend a lot of time discussing the club but I would say that doesn't represent a lot of fans.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The club does need a good season though-sooner rather than later - you can only punch somebody in the face so many times before they walk away. Before people say they aren't true fans and good riddance- maybe but we need the hardcore fans and the less hardcore fans too to move forwards as a club.
  • Options

Good things come to those who wait.

OK, 8 games doth not a summer make, but now he isn't saddled with Parky's squad things look a bit brighter, eh?