Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sack Powell before it is TOO LATE (old thread)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lincsaddick[/cite]The squad is and was only a part of the problem .. since Powell's arrival he has brought in a half crocked striker (Wright-Phillips) and a bunch of callow youths .. Reid, Wagstaff, Francis for example have been marginalised .. his 'tactics' are non existent Powell has the mentality of a youth coach and not of the manager of a seasoned bunch of professionals .. sorry .. he's gotta go before CAFC goes the way of my second favorite team, Grimsby .. sinking and struggling to stay above water
    You wouldn't happen to know a Grimsby fan who goes to Charlton games and used to teach maths at Darrick Wood in Locksbottom?
  • Options
    All 5 of Dickie's points are sadly true, and spot on.
  • Options
    Dickie's main point is wrong.
  • Options
    CP will learn hes football managment lessons in time. He did not have an easy job to start with, in fact id say its a very difficult job to start with, but like what imnot said with the expectations he needs to learn he lessons quickly otherwise he is out. 7 defeats out of 8 games in not acceptable in League 1 for our club Charlton Athletic. If Tranmere wernt so bad it could have been 8 straight defeats.
  • Options
    i think he has to forget the trying to play good football bit - there isn't an ounce of quality in central midfield so it's pointless and as i've said before, parky assembled a shit squad with regards to being able to play but at least he knew that - trying to get them to play football could end in relegation - we need to go back to lumping it, scramble enough points and in the meantime, line up a proper established, experienced manager to build for next season. Anybody who can't see the centre of midfield needed immediately addressing in the window shouldn't be in football management and to lose 7 out of 8 in this league is frankly pathetric. CP - Nice bloke? i'm sure he is and i'm sure he'll do the honourable thing so we can start building for next year - how can we do that at the moment? his only brief for now must be winning football matches - all these experimenting excuses people come out with are nonsense - you don't need to experiment to know that most of our players are crap. Win as many games as you can, flog season tickets, try to get promoted and then completely clear the squad out in the summer must have been his brief - he's failed abysmaly so far - it's a shame but let's hope he does the right thing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcnorth7[/cite]what are we gonna gain by sacking CP nothink if we go down then even one will be say we was better off with CP i dont think it the manger i think it the team lack off confindent i was disgusted at the reaction after the daggenham game it was over the top

might gain a manager so we can start to build for next year and stave off relegation?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i think he has to forget the trying to play good football bit - there isn't an ounce of quality in central midfield so it's pointless and as i've said before, parky assembled a shit squad with regards to being able to play but at least he knew that - trying to get them to play football could end in relegation - we need to go back to lumping it, scramble enough points and in the meantime, line up a proper established, experienced manager to build for next season. Anybody who can't see the centre of midfield needed immediately addressing in the window shouldn't be in football management and to lose 7 out of 8 in this league is frankly pathetric. CP - Nice bloke? i'm sure he is and i'm sure he'll do the honourable thing so we can start building for next year - how can we do that at the moment? his only brief for now must be winning football matches - all these experimenting excuses people come out with are nonsense - you don't need to experiment to know that most of our players are crap. Win as many games as you can, flog season tickets, try to get promoted and then completely clear the squad out in the summer must have been his brief - he's failed abysmaly so far - it's a shame but let's hope he does the right thing
    I'm sure he knows about the problems in central midfield.

Is it fair to expect him to have signed a couple of midfielders in January though?

He most likely knew little about our squad, he wanted to give the current players a chance, they had gotten us to 5th after all.

He'd have also needed time to work out who he should be signing. BWP was obvious, the top scorer in the league available cheaply. He's clearly been trying to sign a midfielder on loan and has done in Parrett.

As I said a few months ago, who are these proven, experienced League 1 managers? All the teams in the top 6 have fairly young managers who at some point got their first chance, some at this level. What proven manager would come here knowing he'd be sacked if there wasn't enough improvement after just a few months?

Not saying Powell definitely will be successful if we give him time, but even with the bad signs it's far too early to write him off and decide he's not up to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    might gain a manager so we can start to build for next year and stave off relegation?[/quote]

i dont think it all down to the manger we've been free falling sinces alan curbishley left us what did he do diffent to all the others
  • Options
    we can't continue in the hope that cp might get it right and i can't believe that there weren't better midfield players available in the window - it's all a bloody mess - i honestly thought the new owners had a game plan and had been watching the team for months ready to act - clearly not - what an absolute joke it all is and what an absolute mess CP is making of it. Oxo? if he can't see what an absolute waste of space he is and to pair him and semedo at home against brentford is enough for me. lets all be nice and give him a fair crack - don't think so - he's hopeless - get a proper manager in and lets start sorting things for next season.
  • Options
    You've all gone barmy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcnorth7[/cite]might gain a manager so we can start to build for next year and stave off relegation?

i dont think it all down to the manger we've been free falling sinces alan curbishley left us what did he do diffent to all the others[/quote]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcnorth7[/cite]might gain a manager so we can start to build for next year and stave off relegation?

i dont think it all down to the manger we've been free falling sinces alan curbishley left us what did he do diffent to all the others[/quote]

he managed well?
  • Options
    We are destined to loose on tuesday. I just want a good performance which I can be proud of and come out of the valley satisfied that the team are "fighting" against our terrible form and downward spiral. Would take a 0-0 definatly.

We need an encouraging perfomance of any kind to lift the spirits and the players are capable of doing that
  • Options
    no second team? (I know what you mean of course) .. the club that gave us Matt Tees, Charlie Wright and Lord Clive Mendonca!!

I have absolutely nothing against Powell as a person. I agree with the sentiment that he is not a legend, at least not in my book. Chris Powell is a man who has made the very best of his ability as a player and as an administrator with the p f a etc. He talks a good game and is a good example to younger players. These admirable attributes are in many ways incompatable with football club management. Hard headed pragmatism is what is needed, the ability to motivate players of mixed ability, background, age and temperament. Sentiment should play no part in Powell's future. He is simply not yet cut out to be a manager and the longer he stays the deeper will be the hole that his inevitable successor will need to pull us out from. See Parkinson after Dowie,Reed and Pardew for example. He's gotta go ... NOW or sooner
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentaddick[/cite]You've all gone barmy

No, they've gone barmily beyond barmy.
  • Options
    Since hes taken over as manager weve been on a terrible run of results and not playing well, but give him the benefit of the doubt no one really knows whats going on behind the scenes at football clubs and what is really going on. Im patient enough to wait for the first few months of next season and see how it goes.

Give him the benefit of the doubt at least for the reason that he is a club legend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Winters-Dawn post #3 sums it up for me. Imnot's post is spot on too.

Winters-Dawn said "I think we should give him the summer"

Well I lost count of the number of times people demanded that Parky be given "3 more games" or "to the end of the season" or "till after Christmas".

It just ain't working!

I'd be backing CP if we had lost every game since he took over but we were making measureable improvements each and every game i.e. real light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    Sacking him now would simply make a few people feel better about the dreadful run. It wouldn't begin to address the bigger, longer term picture, of which few of us know very much. It really isn't about keeping him around because he's a nice bloke - it's because he's been appointed as manager with a plan to take us forward. If he really doesn't manage that then of course there'll come a time when difficult decisions have to be made, possibly by the man himself, but haven't we already seen the damage that rash, panic-stricken decision-making leads to.
  • Options
    completely agree paddy7. Unless we get relegated I very much doubt the new owners will sack powell in the near future.
  • Options
    Why are some supporters in such a hurry to sack the manager?

We are financially secure, for the first time in many a year, So as the new owners said, promotion is not nessesary for the club to suvive.

The squad is cack, bar a select few, and we would of had to have a cleanout even if by some miracle we were promoted this season, which even under parky was not a given.

Yes, we crave success, but if we wanted it all so easy we'd be Man Utd fans instead.

We just have to wait a little longer, we all know that's the Charlton way! :)
  • Options
    Ya cause sacking managers when things have suddenly gone wrong has done us wonders. Fergie didn't win a title with United for 4 years. Give him a full season at least. The club needs stability. Look at Leeds, they took several seasons to reestablish themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He needs to stay to build for next year, its a long term job. We need stability now, he will turn it round if given time.
  • Options
    ferguson had a track record before utd. he was to a certain extent proven. we only have 12 games to base our judgement on cp and in normal circumstances you would try to give him time but given the year after year of dross and the complete and utter disilusionment of the fans i honestly think the ground will be virtually empty next year unless we start showing some signs of progress. it would be crazy to sack him admitted but i'm hoping it won't come to that and if we continue losing i reckon he'll walk.
  • Options
    I think it would be hilarious if they kept him on for next season and he turned it all around during the summer, id love to see how many people would think hes a fantastic manager then after all this stick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Corkaddick[/cite]Look at Leeds, they took several seasons to reestablish themselves.
    A new manager each season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Winters-Dawn[/cite]I think it would be hilarious if they kept him on for next season and he turned it all around during the summer, id love to see how many people would think hes a fantastic manager then after all this stick.
    given where we are, that would be a dream scenario that would make us all happy. However the mounting evidence suggests that it is a highly unlikely one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Corkaddick[/cite]Look at Leeds, they took several seasons to reestablish themselves.
    A new manager each season?
    gary mcallister club legend sacked in the second season
  • Options
    I'd be happy if they kept him on and he turned it all round - you can only judge things as you see them at the moment though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]I'd be happy if they kept him on and he turned it all round - you can only judge things as you see them at the moment though.
    This.

Unlike Parkinson's tenure - I think every single Charlton fan wants this to work out spectacularly well. The problem many have, including myself, is that there is not even a sign of changing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Unlike Parkinson's tenure - I think every single Charlton fan wants this to work out spectacularly well.

so you think we had fans who under parky didn't want us to be a roaring success

i mean we have more than our fair share of divvy twunts but surely we all want us to do spectacularly well!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Unlike Parkinson's tenure - I think every single Charlton fan wants this to work out spectacularly well.

so you think we had fans who under parky didn't want us to be a roaring success

i mean we have more than our fair share of divvy twunts but surely we all want us to do spectacularly well!
    Worded weirdly but I honestly think, this season especially, that there were plenty of fans - regardless of results and league position - wanted Parkinson out.