Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Dont think anyone is suggesting otherwise mate, and we already have one dog and two cats..
  • Just a comment to anyone unfamiliar with the amount of commitment a dog requires
    Made friends with a lovely chocolate lab at the weekend though really lovely looking and perfectly behaved
  • razil said:

we've been looking at getting a new chocolate or black lab, can anyone recommend a good breeder, must be full KC and ideally additional health checks etc

Saw some tonight that were 'half pedigree' and they wanted full whack £550, tried to stop the missus even going there, trying to explain they just aren't worth that, its not that they wouldn't be a great dog, its just the breeder is taking the piss at the asking price. Am I wrong here?

I've had my black lab for 12 days now, she's stunning, I'll get some pics up here after work tonight.

Things don't really work the same way here in China, with regards to breeders etc, pet shops here run like factories and it's just horrible.

Luckily after a drive out into the country we managed to find a litter of labs for sale that hadn't been raised in a cardboard box and sold after 4 weeks.

The above 41/2 month old puppy, on the left and posing with his litter brother (both our breeding) has come back to us, through no fault of his own, as his new owners didn't want him any longer. Please remember a dog is a massive comittment and no-one should take on a dog unless they know how much time they can take. We are now looking for a new home for him.
  • Poor thing,

We're waiting until we are in a bigger property to consider giving Diego a sibling.

I really do get pee'd off when people don't allow for how much a dog needs you... and how much you need to be comitted to it.
  • This had me in tears this morning:

rest in peace K9Argo
  • edited November 2015
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor JJ goes under the knife in a couple of weeks, yes they are coming off. Hopefully this will take the edge off him and he will stop trying to dominate every man, woman and child as well as protecting me from just about everything. Our new vet is allowing me to stay with him through surgery, although Im convinced its for his benefit. not a fan of big dogs is our vet. :)image
  • edited November 2015
    Hi all I'm pleased to announce that little 'Ryker', who is shown in the earlier picture (above) with his brother, has now found his forever home. He will be living in Guildford with a kennel maid and her husband who look after the Surrey Police Dogs. He is settling in well and has been to work with his new owner, where he has been watching the police dogs go through their training.
  • This puppy has arrived and she's adorable.

How do you stop them howling and screeching in the night though ? Seriously all night yesterday and banshee like.

We won't be having her in our room for sure so she is downstairs in a pen with a very comfy cage, food and water.

During the day she has been very confident and (shit and piss aside) seems absolutely fine.
  • edited November 2015

Our new addition (pet name Zeek), he is a full working dog and a link to what his mum and dad do is below, Mrs RM will be training him to do the same with an ambition to get into Team GB for competitive purposes-:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swx4FlaMJI8
  • edited November 2015
    PL54 said:

This puppy has arrived and she's adorable.

How do you stop them howling and screeching in the night though ? Seriously all night yesterday and banshee like.

We won't be having her in our room for sure so she is downstairs in a pen with a very comfy cage, food and water.

During the day she has been very confident and (shit and piss aside) seems absolutely fine.

Separation anxiety, she's just come away her siblings so she's scared. With Bailey we kipped downstairs for a couple of nights. Do it for too long and you'll make her worse, give her an old teeshirt (worn) to snuggle up to or a toy but be careful of children toys, put the radio on a talking channel for her.
    She has food and water in her crate?
    If thats the case you'll never house train her, 8 week old puppies are the same as babies all they do is eat and S***, water should be available at all times but if its in their sleeping quarters she'll use a particular area although that will be last thing she'll want to do, as soon as she wakes up or as soon as she has a drink whip her outside for a p*** likewise after feeding, three times a day at first..... Unfortunately you've chosen the worse time of year to house train her, because you should stay outside until she goes and lots of praise when she does.
  • Hi everyone, not posted on this thread for quite a while...

Got a few issues with our Wirehaired Vizsla that I hope to address. He's 2 and a half years old now, and was unfortunately involved in an accident last December where he was hit by a car.

Since then he's become very aggressive towards strangers entering the house, or outside on walks when people stand and look at him. If people are just walking by there's no issue?! He hasn't attacked, but lunges towards people with his tail between his legs until he backs away. He also has issues with certain dogs, but 99% of the time it's when my wife takes him out. He's a lot more relaxed with me.

You can sense that he's extremely anxious, and jumps at certain loud noises. He's also become scared of fireworks since the accident (normally fine as he's a gun dog).

I obviously don't expect all the answers on here, but wondered if anyone knew a dog behaviourist near the Welling area? Would really appreciate a recommendation. Thanks.
  • edited November 2015
    T.C.E said:

PL54 said:

Separation anxiety, she's just come away her siblings so she's scared. With Bailey we kipped downstairs for a couple of nights. Do it for too long and you'll make her worse, give her an old teeshirt (worn) to snuggle up to or a toy but be careful of children toys, put the radio on a talking channel for her.
    If thats the case you'll never house train her, 8 week old puppies are the same as babies all they do is eat and S***, water should be available at all times but if its in their sleeping quarters she'll use a particular area although that will be last thing she'll want to do, as soon as she wakes up or as soon as she has a drink whip her outside for a p*** likewise after feeding, three times a day at first..... Unfortunately you've chosen the worse time of year to house train her, because you should stay outside until she goes and lots of praise when she does.
    She has a crate within a small pen. Should we lock her in the crate at night ? Food and water are available in the pen but not in the crate itself.
  • It sounds to me like he's developed fear aggression, the tail held low or between the legs would indicate he's a little scared. Aggression with another dog is normally shown by a dog standing as tall as possible and his head over the other dogs back if he's close enough the tail in my dogs forms the letter C two dominant dogs doing the same thing, brace yourself it's going to kick off likewise two fearful dogs. Your dogs been through a bad time and he needs reassurance. When he's out with you he feels safe to a degree as he knows you will look after him, I'm afraid it's as though he feels he has look after your wife so will act up a lot more and especially if he's scared. A lot more than we realise is transmitted through the lead and if we tense up even wrap the lead around expecting the worse to happen it almost certainly will. Without teaching you how to suck eggs, if your dog walks on your left the lead should in be your right hand using the left only if you need to put the brakes a bit quick, a nice relaxed and as you near the problem give your dog something else to think about other than the person/dog a gentle check (enough to get his attention and look at you) and up the walking pace. It will make him think about you and what you/he's doing, don't talk to him or make eye contact even if you cross the road to avoid the issue he's watching and concentrating on something else. Xena has a degree of fear aggression and my wife used to carry a small squirty bottle of water and whenever Xena saw another dog she would get a squirt of water but it would be enough to make her think of something else. JJ could be slapped over the head with a cricket bat and it wouldn't make any difference, so we trot/jog past the dog a quick check and a lets go JJ and he's concentrating on me, equally if the other dog wants a row JJ will still have a go. Bailey has always hated the bangs of fireworks, yet equally passed a gunshot test, a lot of it I believe is Baileys guarding instinct when fireworks are going off as far as he's concerned someone's coming through the window. Just lots of reassurance..... There was a behaviourist wrapped around the oval pet centre at welling and she was charging £80 an hour!! I'm yours for the day for 80 quid if you want to travel to me. ;) I'm not a behaviourist and not yet completed my qualifications ( not that they mean much) but I'm here if you want. Just shout if I can help anymore.
  • Just sent you a PM @T.C.E
  • edited November 2015
    My dogs room, no water or food available at bed time. Last drink around ten pm, three meals a day, no food available other than training treats. Our dogs beds all with matteresses and their favoured toys, there is a radio for when we leave them. Puppies should be left no more than two hours a grown dog four at maximum. https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xla1/v/t42.1790-2/12094478_10206253179983311_1836385374_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQzMywicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoidjJfNDI2X2NyZl8yM19tYWluXzMuMF9zZCJ9&rl=433&vabr=241&oh=5c0083c5b577e146a06edd027f74f476&oe=565B5C6C
  • Sponsored links:

• Normally all my dogs beds would be covered, but apparently they were in the wash at the time this videoed. !!
  • The next step in dog training - a bit of essential abseiling. Love the way this dog is hanging on for grim life. (Vancouver Police)
  • edited November 2015
    PL54 said:

T.C.E said:

PL54 said:

She has a crate within a small pen. Should we lock her in the crate at night ? Food and water are available in the pen but not in the crate itself.
    I guess things are a little different for me, as I let my little one go where she pleases in the house, so some night she's up in the bed with me, others on the sofa, however I keep her water and food in between the two, so as far away from where she's sleeping as possible. I take her food bowl away when it's not meal time too.

I also got her to pee and s*** in my bathroom pretty quickly, using dog nappies to soak up any misplaced piss and have that pinned down in the bathroom, so now I just shower away anything she can't hold until we go outside.

There are some great 'dog calming' mixes on youtube, I leave them on when I have to go to work for her.
  • Diego manages around 8 hours a day 3 times a week on his own.

He's fine with it.

I leave the TV on or the Radio and he just lays around sleeping. He get's 3, 2-3 mile walks everyday (including day care days) which involves around a mile run on the last walk of the day too, which he loves.

He refuses to run once around a mile has passed though, which we're working very slowly on building up...

On the other 2 days he goes off to Doggy Day care on one and I pop home for a mile walk on the other.

I use a pet cam to check up on him and he's usually sleeping, staring out the window (low windows) or watching TV.
  • p.s We do make sure he gets loads of attention when we are home.
  • edited November 2015
  • The next step in dog training - a bit of essential abseiling. Love the way this dog is hanging on for grim life. (Vancouver Police)

Like you said, love the way the dog is hanging on. My puppy does that with my arm when we play fight.

• Bailey, Xena and JJ doing a bit of baby sitting with our Granddaughter.image
  • Yes stu he has a couple of snack mazes and puzzles
  • What do you all feed your dogs? Sadly, in China baby milk is cut with all sorts of crap and can make it deadly, so obviously, buying dog food here is totally out the question. I have been getting bags of 'Orijen Large Puppy' imported, was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions.