Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Is alcohol (lager) harmful to dogs? I've just got in from a long afternoon visiting a relative in hospital and was in need of a cold one, for the first time thought I'd give my lab a taste. It was only a small amount, but wondered if it has the same affect as it does on us and if anyone else here does it?
  • Also is it affect or effect, I never know!
  • Talal said:

Is alcohol (lager) harmful to dogs? I've just got in from a long afternoon visiting a relative in hospital and was in need of a cold one, for the first time thought I'd give my lab a taste. It was only a small amount, but wondered if it has the same affect as it does on us and if anyone else here does it?

http://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/dog-care-advice/food-dangers-poisons-dogs/
  • The company I now work for down here does a lot of charity work, they also sponsor Bailey's work with the Upbeats by supplying some of my dogs grub. In this case 105kg of beef, sorry there is no vegatarian option ;)imageimage
  • Oh dear, well I won't do it again then!
  • nice little pic of Diego (edited using my mobile)
    God I'm soft when it comes to Dogs.
  • but not when it comes to women hopefully eh Dazzler.
  • This is Rambo my mums new puppy, a very cuddly, happy and friendly but he isnt yet trained at all and we've just found out he is completely deaf.

Any hints on how to train a deaf dog? Thanks.
  • This is Rambo my mums new puppy, a very cuddly, happy and friendly but he isnt yet trained at all and we've just found out he is completely deaf.

Very cute. Use plenty of hand signals.

Talal, got it spot on......
    Hand signals, Bailey works to hand signals which started purely by accident, mainly because I was screaming above the London traffic...... The "watch me" signal started with me pushing my glasses back on, "stop" is just a hand out in front showing the palm of the hand, just like you or I would recognise. You can elaborate from there and customise it to suit yourself. As you know Sadie, I'm just down the road from you, if you (or your Mum) need any help I'm here, completely FOC.......

• Sponsored links:

• T.C.E said:

This is Rambo my mums new puppy, a very cuddly, happy and friendly but he isnt yet trained at all and we've just found out he is completely deaf.

Talal, got it spot on......
    Hand signals, Bailey works to hand signals which started purely by accident, mainly because I was screaming above the London traffic...... The "watch me" signal started with me pushing my glasses back on, "stop" is just a hand out in front showing the palm of the hand, just like you or I would recognise. You can elaborate from there and customise it to suit yourself. As you know Sadie, I'm just down the road from you, if you (or your Mum) need any help I'm here, completely FOC.......

Thanks Ray, my mum lives in Erith though x
  • With the dog being white, is it it true that only white dogs are born deaf, or is it something I think I have heard but haven't really
  • D, whites are a fault in some breeds, Sheps being one of them. But fortunately the faults have mostly slowly been bred out of them by good breeders only putting the good dogs together, and not just shutting any old dog in the kitchen for an hour and closing the door. That's not to say you wouldn't get a dog with a problem no matter what the breed or colour. The good breeders wouldn't breed with any dog with a problem of any description, for example Bailey despite having a fantastic temperament wouldn't be bred with because of his hypothyroidism, easily treated with drugs but weakens the breed each time they produce a litter.
  • Who you looking at?
  • Looking good Mog. :)
  • I'm hoping to get the dogs up to sparrows lane to visit the Upbeats on the weekend of the next international break in October (I believe) Maybe we could do a bit of grub again, pizzas, crisps drinks that sort of thing. I'll ask my company for some sponsorship with the grub and put a few quid in myself. Anyone else available to get involved either on the day or with 30 pizzas in their freezer going cheap, please let me know, many thanks.
    Rayimage
  • Nice dog runs TCE
  • Beautiful pic, Ray !

As we're awaiting a moving date and have our usual week away in October too, I'm unsure whether we'll be able to help out this time, sadly.

Will keep an eye on my diary though, just in case.
  • brogib said:

Nice dog runs TCE

Thanks R and FF.........They only go in there when we have friends around for dinner or maybe someone doing some work around the house. A lot of people see them and assume our dogs sleep outside, not a chance of that happening. Here they are being quality checked after installation. ;)
  • Same as our runs mate, I built them for somewhere to keep the dogs while we are at work or if we've got vistors.

Our little Field Spaniel just had a massive cancerous lump removed from where one of his anal glands is and he's been doing so well over the last 4 day's but we've just come in from the garden and he's managed to get past the plastic collar and he's chewed the stitched away leaving a gapping wound...... Spoke to vet and he said clean it up with some Betadine and bring him in in the morning, I've bodged up a bigger collar for him for tonight, but reckon I'll be up with him all night making sure he ain't having another go silly little sod.
  • Sponsored links:

• brogib said:

Same as our runs mate, I built them for somewhere to keep the dogs while we are at work or if we've got vistors.

Our little Field Spaniel just had a massive cancerous lump removed from where one of his anal glands is and he's been doing so well over the last 4 day's but we've just come in from the garden and he's managed to get past the plastic collar and he's chewed the stitched away leaving a gapping wound...... Spoke to vet and he said clean it up with some Betadine and bring him in in the morning, I've bodged up a bigger collar for him for tonight, but reckon I'll be up with him all night making sure he ain't having another go silly little sod.

Hopefully he's over the worse.

Get an old tee shirt and put that on him, legs out through the arms etc. smear a dab of Vic near not on the wound, that'll make his eyes water and he should leave it alone. ;)
  • edited August 2015
    My wife and youngest are insisting we enter the canine owner club and are eyeing up Shnoodles (sic ?) and Cockerpoos - I have insisted that it can't leave hair everywhere, must have good temperament, is easily trained and half cute looking. May just go for a Schnauzer as we know them.
  • A easy trained puppy = it's as easy as the more you put in, the more you get back.
    Good temperament and cute looking. = I can recommend a good German Shepherd breeder. ;)
    Non shedding dog= forget German Shepherd ;)

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/finding-the-right-dog/non-shedding-breeds-of-dog/
  • PL54 said:

My wife and youngest are insisting we enter the canine owner club and are eyeing up Shnoodles (sic ?) and Cockerpoos - I have insisted that it can't leave hair everywhere, must have good temperament, is easily trained and half cute looking. May just go for a Schnauzer as we know them.

Save yourself from spending the best part of a grand on a designer mongrel, and get one from down the dogs home mate, there's plenty down there in need of a loving family for a small donation.
  • brogib said:

PL54 said:

Save yourself from spending the best part of a grand on a designer mongrel, and get one from down the dogs home mate, there's plenty down there in need of a loving family for a small donation.
    I'd be up for that but the females in the house will have final say.

I'm happy with the hamster we have.
  • edited August 2015
    Schnauzer all the way, gotta love the Germans engineering even their dogs are made in the exact way you expect

Can't believe how wonderful a breed they are

So loyal and gentle yet she defends our house with vigorous attitude

The way she is with my 18month boy is totally inspiring
  • Loki's (our king charles) recall is pretty poor, plus he's started nipping people who try and stroke him who aren't in his inner circle ( me and the wife, or others who spend a lot of time getting to know him and stick around) be also barks a lot at other dogs when on the lead, tail wagging away.

@t.c.e. i'd be more than willing to part with a few quid if you could offer some advice with him, he's such a potenially nice dog, just can't trust him with people.
  • Diego is much the same he just wants to play with every dog when walking :neutral: it's not great as others stroll on by and he's desperately trying to get over to say hi.

We had a trainer for a while but they're so expensive, plus Diego isn't food driven... so most of their tactics don't work.

• We've just moved to a new house with a big garden and are thinking of getting a dog. My daughter has been obsessed with Dalmatians for years (thanks Disney) and is pushing hard for us to get one. Anyone here got any experience with the breed and whether they're suitable for young children (4 and 5)?
  • edited September 2015

We've just moved to a new house with a big garden and are thinking of getting a dog. My daughter has been obsessed with Dalmatians for years (thanks Disney) and is pushing hard for us to get one. Anyone here got any experience with the breed and whether they're suitable for young children (4 and 5)?

One thing I know abut Dlmatians is that a lot of em go deaf.