Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Great to see everyone's gorgeous pooches & to hear your stories.

If I could put up a pic, I'd show you our "Timeshare" Cavachon, Jasper.

A complete nutter but love him to bits.
  • have had a Border Terrier for three months now. Such a great little dog, couldn't imagine life without her now. My first ever dog and, having always had cats, entered into it with trepidation. Shouldn't have worried although having a dog as opposed to a cat is completely different.

Anyone else got a Border?
  • have had a Border Terrier for three months now. Such a great little dog, couldn't imagine life without her now. My first ever dog and, having always had cats, entered into it with trepidation. Shouldn't have worried although having a dog as opposed to a cat is completely different.

Anyone else got a Border?

Friends of mine have 4 Borders and 7 German Shepherds. The Borders run with the Sheps in one pack it's great to see.

• Just out with Bailey and JJ for our daily walk when we were approaching a young lad who suddenly looked up, saw us and veered onto someone's driveway. The lad was probably about 12 looked visibly scared. So as we passed by I reassured him that my two were ok and he had nothing to worry about, he immediately told me that he had been bitten by a police dog. Stopping to talk, I assured him that all was ok especially with Bailey and praying that JJ didn't act up as all puppies are prone to do. As we talked he slowly approached and I could see he wanted say hello to the dogs but was rightly very nervous so I asked if that's what he wanted. Yes, came back the reply moving slowly away and pulling up his trouser leg showing me a horrendous scar on his leg that had happened when he was nine. Showing him the correct way to approach way to strange dogs, with a clenched fist allowing the dogs to sniff and not over the top of the head where the dog will immediately lift his head to sniff, he followed my instructions to the letter. Growing in confidence he ended up standing between my two while I took his photo with his mobile so he could show his mum. I asked how he managed to get bitten by a police dog. He told me it happened while was at home, he was playing in the garden when a police dog chasing his dad bit him instead. The police knocked on the door looking for his dad, his dad ran through the house and out the back gate following his dad the lad got between his dad and the dog. Police dogs are trained to bite, even a policeman won't get between a dog and bad guy as I explained this to the lad, he interrupted saying he doesn't want to be afraid of dogs and thanked me for helping him overcome his "scaredness" as he put it. Thankfully JJ behaved and Bailey was just Bailey.image
  • Brill T.C.E. Nice one.
  • Nice story T.C.E.
    My lab has just made friends with a lively Kangal puppy. All good at this stage, think I'll be a bit wary as he grows up though!
  • Cracking story ray,

You can sense how he must have felt when he saw the dogs and I bet he was as proud of himself as you can possibly be
  • As I said elsewhere, I work hard with my dogs and I understand that some people have a fear of bigger powerful dogs and nothing I or others will do can change that, but I'll always spend time with those that want to. I wanted to train Bailey as a Cynaphobia dog (fear of Dogs) but unfortunately there very few places it can be done. Like most things it's purely a title and Bailey who possibly the calmest dog around people I've seen is great at encouraging people to say hello who may be deterred by his size. As a PAT dog Bailey qualified to attend various establishments to interact with patients/residents I have only been asked by the charity to attend one site, Belmarsh Prison!! Every time I have volunteered my dogs to the charity I have been given some reason as to why I was not required. So that stigma is rife in dog charity I know what to expect of my dogs and can read their moods, JJ will not be interacting with the Upbeats for a while yet, he's a typical youngster. His balls have dropped, he strutting his stuff and trying to be top boy. He'll take on anyone who shows a weakness, he challenges Bailey at home but deep down he knows Baileys the man. Bailey on the other hand, he's been there and done that and really doesn't care much for it. He switches from Bitework to working with the Upbeats and back to bitework so easily, he can track and find cash, people ( never tried him on illegal substances) My dogs aren't status symbols, they aren't to make me tough the German Shepherd happens to be my favoured breed it's that simple. People's perception that these dogs wander around biting people at random it's pure crap at little like people's assumption that you don't have train smaller breeds. Smaller breeds walked on extending leads almost guarantees the dog has no recall , possibly the easiest command to teach. But purely because the handler has no self confidence they won't drop the lead, JJ had recall at ten weeks old it took longer to house train him. You get back from your dogs tenfold what you put in. I'm very proud of Bailey and his achievements but won't stop working with him. Critics of dogs or their owners are more than welcome to join me to see what hardwork will achieve or better join us walking with the Upbeats on March 21st
  • edited February 2015
    Taken this morning, Bailey met up with his friend Ashley who is austistic and very, very hyperactive but a smashing lad just the same. Despite Bailey having just had a training session he settled very quickly and had a cuddle and posed as Mum took a photo.image
  • Diego looking after my God son and my future brother in law!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler you should've called him Morgan ;)
  • edited February 2015
    Bailey, Xena and young JJ who was 1 year old on Saturday.image
  • Lola hurt her paw sat whilst playing with my eldest, looks like it is just tendon damage he was so upset that he felt responsible, I thought she had broken it, crufts looking in jeopardy though

Poor little thing don't know who was more upset the weekend the dog or Joe
  • Ray, I admire your rapport and understanding with your dogs.

My only wish is for the those dog walkers in Avery Hill Park who have to re-enact the 'Fenton' sketch every time they recall their dogs, would share your passion.

• NugNug
    edited February 2015
  • Nice one Nug. Very best wishes.
  • edited February 2015
    If any of you on here ate going to Crufts this year held at the NEC between 5th and 8th March inclusive, our GSD 'Cinna' will be strutting her stuff on all 4 days about 3 times a day, showing what she had to do for the films/TV she's been in. Anyone can come and meet her, she had hundreds of kids (and adults) buzzing around her last year and was excellent with all of them. I'm not sure what time(s) she'll be on but its normally morning, lunchtime and afternoon. Mrs RM and Cinna's other trainer will be there all 4 days and I'll be there on the Friday and Saturday (if the Dr says that's ok). Some of the other 'stunt dogs' which work on TV and film will also be there. The picture below was taken on Valentines day 2015, she is getting better with age!! (Unlike me!!!)

• Ray, I admire your rapport and understanding with your dogs.

My only wish is for the those dog walkers in Avery Hill Park who have to re-enact the 'Fenton' sketch every time they recall their dogs, would share your passion.

I had heard about that particular park when I lived up there and most of it wasn't nice. It's the old story I'm afraid the minority etc, etc. you'll have to enlighten me on the "Fenton Sketch" I find that recall is particularly easy to train into a dog and a sure sign that a dog has no recall is my all time hate "the extending lead" you can hear that clicking noise from a hundred yards when my two appear over the horizon as the dog is retrieved. ;)

• Nug said:

Not sure if this is the right thread but while I was in hospital recovering from surgery for 3 weeks decided it was time for a family dog so we adopted this little Jack Russell from a rescue home this past weekend. My kids are over the moon and she's very sweet. I'm hoping she'll give me something to take my mind off the chemo I am about to embark on.

Best wishes to you on your recovery Nug and well done on taking a rescue, the return on your investment will be tenfold once she settles. Anything you think people can help with advice wise, just shout. Our Xena is a rescue and cracking dog I homecheck for a Shep rescue and take Bailey along to meet potential adopters to help people see what they are taking on.
  • Sponsored links:

• If any of you on here ate going to Crufts this year held at the NEC between 5th and 8th March inclusive, our GSD 'Cinna' will be strutting her stuff on all 4 days about 3 times a day, showing what she had to do for the films/TV she's been in. Anyone can come and meet her, she had hundreds of kids (and adults) buzzing around her last year and was excellent with all of them. I'm not sure what time(s) she'll be on but its normally morning, lunchtime and afternoon. Mrs RM and Cinna's other trainer will be there all 4 days and I'll be there on the Friday and Saturday (if the Dr says that's ok). Some of the other 'stunt dogs' which work on TV and film will also be there. The picture below was taken on Valentines day 2015, she is getting better with age!! (Unlike me!!!)

Bailey won't be there, he's contracted to the BBC. Lol

• Here's our three doing some training earlier today. imageimageimage
  • edited March 2015
    As recall has been mentioned, We're currently working on this with Diego.

Can you guys provide any tips for recall training?

We don't want him to have to be stuck on a long lead all the time as we feel dogs should be able to run free a bit, but return on request.

As he is a Shiba Inu, naturally he's very stubborn and sometimes it can be quite a challenge to get him to return. this includes when there are apparently very few distractions.

Luckily we live in a very green area and at the moment he only goes off lead in quiet, closed in fields or caged tennis courts to practice. We do want to practice where there are a few more distractions to ensure we and he can carry over to dog walking areas such as Reigate Hill and similar places.

At the end of the day if he's safer on lead in those places, then I'll keep him to the training places where I know he can be off lead safely to run free.
  • What's his favourite toy? That becomes his training reward, don't let him play with it at anytime. That's his, its "pay day" for your dog. Recall is one of easiest commands if done correctly. Recalling your dog using phrases like " come here shithead" will work if accompanied by a high pitched excitable voice and lots of arm waving. Lowering the tone of your voice and saying "come" will have the opposite effect. It's all about making yourself more interesting than what your dog is doing. On his return, reward him with his toy, lots of who's a clever boy all very OTT praise. You really have to go overboard with the praise.
  • Cheers TCE, will give it a try. Just got to try each toy to see which one he loves most.
  • T.C.E said:

What a difference a year makes. :)imageimage

That's what you call a scarf
  • T.C.E said:

What a difference a year makes. :)imageimage

That's what you call a scarf
    I do that in order to install trust between me and my dogs, a fearful dog could lead to a bite.
    It was all ok until Xena decided to try and play fight while JJ was up there. Then I had to kneel down quickly.
  • That old back eh mate
  • Time to break out the transfer rumours thread. My dog Evie considering an offer earlier today...

Beautiful day walking along the river at Marlow.