Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Not me no, but I think I might know who they are......
  • Mate when did you teach bailey and jj to wood carve
  • @T.C.E Fabulous photos once again.

What did you mean by 'Forgot how much hard work a puppy is' - presumably you mean the training. Is there a set training plan you conform to - a check list? How much time do you devote to a puppy's training.

It would be interesting to know as my friends have just kept a boy puppy, a golden retriever who is called Deano (great name and they are not even Charlton supporters). They live in the country and the Mum of the puppy is mainly walked off the lead over the fields and has never mastered walking to heel and reacts badly with lorries. I foresee problems for me when I dog sit for their holidays in the future when I try to take three dogs for a walk on leads along a road. The latest idea for training the mum dog is walking with a stick in front of her nose as a supposed barrier - is this a good technique?
  • WSA said:

@T.C.E Fabulous photos once again.

What did you mean by 'Forgot how much hard work a puppy is' - presumably you mean the training. Is there a set training plan you conform to - a check list? How much time do you devote to a puppy's training.

It would be interesting to know as my friends have just kept a boy puppy, a golden retriever who is called Deano (great name and they are not even Charlton supporters). They live in the country and the Mum of the puppy is mainly walked off the lead over the fields and has never mastered walking to heel and reacts badly with lorries. I foresee problems for me when I dog sit for their holidays in the future when I try to take three dogs for a walk on leads along a road. The latest idea for training the mum dog is walking with a stick in front of her nose as a supposed barrier - is this a good technique?

With puppies it's all about short periods of time, like children they have a short attention span. I probably spend four of five periods of 5 minutes on actual one to one training as as his weekly training class which is a further hour and half. With puppies it's all about praise and reward. As for a checklist, there really isn't one, housetraining is normally top of any list followed by sits and downs. Fortunately having Bailey and road walking him with JJ he also responds to voice commands that normally a puppy of six months wouldn't be doing, JJ will slow down and stop when approaching a kerb and walk on when roads are clear
    Walking three dogs in the country lanes when one of them hasn't been lead trained is dangerous and is not something I would recommend, I walked Bailey through some lanes the other day and walking him alongside when the road is clear and giving him a "step out" command when we met on coming traffic. Step out command = walking a lead length away in single file..... JJ shys away from lorries, as like your friends dog he hardly sees them down here, Bailey as puppy used to be afraid of buses, especially at night in London that was easily solved, we just stood at a bus stop getting him calm and distracting him as one approached.
    Heel work is actually easier off lead, because the handler works harder to keep the dogs focus. JJ will walk to heel both on and off lead due to a treat bag hooked above his head on my belt his focus is food!

• @T.C.E Great advice - thank you. I will bear that in mind when I next visit my friends. I haven't heard of 'step out' before. The road we have to cross to get to the quieter lane is a route for the lorries taking rubbish to a recycling depot so perhaps I will practise your bus stop de-sensitise exercise when I am next on duty.

Another question re: my dog. One of her few bad habits that I have failed to resolve is her jumping up at people giving her attention. I would like to resolve the problem without having to keep guessing when she is going to do it and yanking her away. It's difficult when she doesn't do it with me. She meets a lot of other dog walkers who have treats in their pockets and I think she is too eager to get something or their attention sometimes. If I take treats out she isn't interested in mine. She does sit on command (eventually - this is a Tibetan trait), but often too late to avoid the jumping up. If other people tell her to sit, or reach down to her level to stroke her she is fine and doesn't jump up.

I hope you don't mind all these questions?

Cheers.

• WSA said:

@T.C.E Great advice - thank you. I will bear that in mind when I next visit my friends. I haven't heard of 'step out' before. The road we have to cross to get to the quieter lane is a route for the lorries taking rubbish to a recycling depot so perhaps I will practise your bus stop de-sensitise exercise when I am next on duty.

Another question re: my dog. One of her few bad habits that I have failed to resolve is her jumping up at people giving her attention. I would like to resolve the problem without having to keep guessing when she is going to do it and yanking her away. It's difficult when she doesn't do it with me. She meets a lot of other dog walkers who have treats in their pockets and I think she is too eager to get something or their attention sometimes. If I take treats out she isn't interested in mine. She does sit on command (eventually - this is a Tibetan trait), but often too late to avoid the jumping up. If other people tell her to sit, or reach down to her level to stroke her she is fine and doesn't jump up.

I hope you don't mind all these questions?

Cheers.

"Step out" is a command that just evolved from when I was training Bailey for the "gaiting" part of showing your dog. Most Dogs will run alongside a handler, but step out to Bailey means walk or run in front of me or the handler (see the photo).... (JJ's dad in German sieger)
    A lot of the problem is the treat is being offered at the persons chest height inadvertently encouraging the dog to jump up. If you are approaching with your dog ask the person to offer the treat at the dogs nose and not wave it about in the air. If you are approaching someone who your dog knows May have treats in their pockets, calm your dog before walking on, if the dog rears up put the brakes on all the while you continue to approach with your dog pulling or misbehaving you are endorsing what it's doing. All four corners of your dog must be on the floor = reward and he will quickly learn. Your treats must be of a higher value or your dog will favour someone else's, I use cheese or diced hotdog sausage put them in a pouch with some of his normal treats are the smell will transfer, when approaching let you dog see your hand go into the treat bag remove a treat and move your hand up to your chest with the command "watch" the dog should make eye contact, reward this. Continue with this daily, your dog is purely interested in others because they are more fun or have higher value rewards. The sit command is quite simple. Call your dog with your reward in hand and at nose height, as the dog approaches lift your hand 3 or 4 inches above his head and reach out over his head this should encourage him to park his arse, some dogs will walk backwards which is alien to a dog so put him near an immovable object so he can't reverse, if want to use the walking backwards command I suggest "back" dogs don't understand conversations. Keep commands one word commands ie: sit, down, off, not sit down, lay down or f***k off ;)
    You only learn by asking questions, I've so no problem answering them. ;)
  • Thanks @T.C.E

I thought you might say better quality treats - that one is a bit difficult for me to achieve at the moment. However I shall endeavour to put some more effort in in the future to progress.

It is interesting hearing about and seeing photos of your beautiful dogs. Fantastic.
  • WSA - you have made me feel better! I have gorgeous Tibetan Terrier (she was two this week) who seems to do everything that yours does. Must be a breed thing! We're not the best trainers in the world despite the best of intentions so TCE your hints and tips are priceless. Thanks mate. Will try them out this morning. Piccy below of the gorgeous Nima (tibetan for "sunshine" I believe). She's brilliant at balancing plant pots on her head (not really before anyone calls the RSPCA - I just take rubbish pictures).
  • WSA - you have made me feel better! I have gorgeous Tibetan Terrier (she was two this week) who seems to do everything that yours does. Must be a breed thing! We're not the best trainers in the world despite the best of intentions so TCE your hints and tips are priceless. Thanks mate. Will try them out this morning. Piccy below of the gorgeous Nima (tibetan for "sunshine" I believe). She's brilliant at balancing plant pots on her head (not really before anyone calls the RSPCA - I just take rubbish pictures).

Terrier of all types are by what I've seen certainly seem to be a challenge, although it can be done as with all dogs. We just have work harder, I'm just pleased to pass on what I've been taught folks so no problem in helping out folks.

• @Sillybilly‌

I could almost say snap, except Molly has only got the white bit on her chest. She is now 11 so the black has some grey in it.

A very happy little soul who loves people and most other dogs.
  • Sponsored links:

• @WSA‌

Awe shucks. She is lovely. They are very similar. Nima has the white patches on her feet and on her bum. Little grey flecks here and there. Like Molly she adores anything with legs be it two or four. She also appears fascinated by things with two wheels so we need to be careful near roads or where there are bikers.
  • @Sillybilly‌

Does Nima voice her opinions. Molly is full of it. She will squeal with delight when she meets someone she knows who makes a fuss of her.

My previous Tibetan also used to sing. She seemed incredibly moved by the Coronation Street theme for some reason. I think she inherited it from her Dad who liked music - he used to howl along to Vivaldi (there's posh!)
  • She doesn't sing but she is certainly able to make herself heard! Loves all the family but is absolutely besotted with me. Should have called her "shadow". Thankfully my wife enjoys all the grooming!

They sound very similar indeed.
  • Bailey earlier this morning, no JJ to annoy him just the big man..........imageimage
  • I've been scouring the rescue sites, want another border collie, not a pup, preferably a year and older. no luck so far. I want another georgie which is gonna be impossible I know!

rescue sites not helping by often insisting dogs go to a rural area. which is sometimes understandable but sometimes ridiculous. I've always had border collies and I've never lived In a rural location. there are plenty of green spaces in london and surely it's more about the relationship between owner and dog. there's no guarantee a dog going to the " country " is necessarily going to have a better life.
  • I've been scouring the rescue sites, want another border collie, not a pup, preferably a year and older. no luck so far. I want another georgie which is gonna be impossible I know!

rescue sites not helping by often insisting dogs go to a rural area. which is sometimes understandable but sometimes ridiculous. I've always had border collies and I've never lived In a rural location. there are plenty of green spaces in london and surely it's more about the relationship between owner and dog. there's no guarantee a dog going to the " country " is necessarily going to have a better life.

I've just been sent this, hopefully it's not one you've tried.
    http://bordercolliesneedinghomes.weebly.com
  • T.C.E said:

I've been scouring the rescue sites, want another border collie, not a pup, preferably a year and older. no luck so far. I want another georgie which is gonna be impossible I know!

thanks t c e appreciate it.
  • T.C.E said:

I've been scouring the rescue sites, want another border collie, not a pup, preferably a year and older. no luck so far. I want another georgie which is gonna be impossible I know!

Really hope you find The One very soon, sillav.

• T.C.E said:

A lot of Germen Shepherds in need of good homes. ;)

Maddie is a black and tan female German Shepherd rescued by GSDWF. She was 2 years old in January 2014. She has a lovely temperament but is boisterous and has had no training. She will need someone who would be willing to take the time to train her. She has been good with the dogs she has meet so far but has not been tested with cats.

• T.C.E said:

Really hope you find The One very soon, sillav.

thanks f f
  • Sponsored links:

• T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

A lot of Germen Shepherds in need of good homes. ;)

Maddie is a black and tan female German Shepherd rescued by GSDWF. She was 2 years old in January 2014. She has a lovely temperament but is boisterous and has had no training. She will need someone who would be willing to take the time to train her. She has been good with the dogs she has meet so far but has not been tested with cats.

I do like German shepherds and she looks lovely but they're probably a bit too big for my home but thanks for the soft sell;-))
  • @tce - I don't know whether you have seen the video clip in this article?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/is-this-the-worlds-best-guard-dog-9784322.html

Amazing response by the dog!
  • WSA said:

@tce - I don't know whether you have seen the video clip in this article?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/is-this-the-worlds-best-guard-dog-9784322.html

Amazing response by the dog!

I've not seen that clip, I'm not sure why that would be done in the street but still.... That is not dissimilar to Schutzhund or working dogs trials and similar to what I did with Bailey yesterday. Obviously I had no helper ( the guy being bitten is a helper) so I played that role myself, with someone with no experience holding Bailey's lead. So it wasn't the perfect demonstration of man work but the Upbeats apparently enjoyed it.
  • JJ now at 8 months old and tipping the scale just under 30 kgs, (Bailey is 41kg and fully grown) I expect him to grow bigger than Bailey and he's certainly developing a character of his own and is a very loving dog and a loves cuddle as much as a play fight. He has slight fear aggression which I'll work on, as he matures he will learn that is not acceptable to react no matter the provocation. His heel work and general obedience is fantastic, his bitework is coming on bundles and although he's yet to try any tracking with him he's already proving he has a nose for it.
    I know a certain person will read this, so for yesterday I send my families thanks. Mum had a lovely send off. image
  • Beautiful pic of 2 very special dogs.

Thoughts are with you in the days after your Mum's send off.
    xx
  • I've seen Dazzler's question on Wally's thread so will answer it here, rather than hijack that one. Mouthing in puppies and sometimes even fully grown dogs is done because like babies, everything goes straight in their mouths to investigate. The problem being that puppies like babies have teeth, up to 42 razor sharp baby teeth and the canines are like hypodermic needles. Teeth and skin do not mix as we know and a puppy mouthing a child could do some damage and should be discouraged. The solution is simple and two fold, any contact from a dogs mouth and hands or clothing "scream like a girl" (sorry Ladies) and leave the room and do it every time puppy does it. Puppy will learn that playtime stops when he does that so the behaviour stops. I prefer to train my dogs when to bite, rather than stopping a natural behaviour. It's more a case of teaching them what's acceptable when living with us rather than controlling them, in my opinion. Ten month old JJ with Xena and Bailey giving JJ a b******* for not behaving himself. imageimage
  • Cheers TCE very appreciated.

Hopefully that'll do the trick. Diego is learning very fast but this is his only ongoing issue, that he isn't giving up on yet!

• Sorry Dazzler, I missed the jumping up bit. Immediately a dog jumps up, turn your back on the dog. Never bend over to stroke a potential jumping dog, firstly your endorsing the jumping and secondly a head butt from a dog fecking hurts. ;) once again, I prefer to train my dogs when jumping is acceptable rather than stop it. image
  • Cheers again TCE. I'll let you know how these tips go!
  • edited December 2014
    Mouthing in puppies and sometimes even fully grown dogs is done because like babies, everything goes straight in their mouths to investigate. The problem being that puppies like babies have teeth, up to 42 razor sharp baby teeth and the canines are like hypodermic needles. Teeth and skin do not mix as we know and a puppy mouthing a child could do some damage and should be discouraged. The solution is simple and two fold, any contact from a dogs mouth and hands or clothing "scream like a girl" (sorry Ladies) and leave the room and do it every time puppy does it. Puppy will learn that playtime stops when he does that so the behaviour stops. I prefer to train my dogs when to bite, rather than stopping a natural behaviour. It's more a case of teaching them what's acceptable when living with us rather than controlling them, in my opinion. Ten month old JJ with Xena and Bailey giving JJ a b******* for not behaving himself.
    Going to try this for our little 'Bell'...... spent yesterday afternoon securing the cable's as best I could do. Going to build a 'gate' for the stairs later today.... She is doing nothing wrong, just being her age. We have to get educated and will have to go to the local trainer.......
    http://www.progressdogtraining.co.uk/index.htm. Our other 'westie' dog has been very good, and put up with a lot from her, more than I would have.....