Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Loki's had a dog shrink visit recently - reckoned there was confused lecking order, he has a number of anxiety issues, and barks in certain situations

No sleeping on our bed (we have him on the floor next to her crate in our room) must walk properly on lead not in front, he eats last but before Belle, we use the compressed air if he barks off the lead

The two of them puppy fight a lot but apparently ur supposed to let them resolve it unless it grets nasty. Belle is now bigger but Loki still wins, think shes about 13kgs

We're doing a fair bit of training with them which is really paying off particularly Belle as shes a lab and is very food orientated, shes close to being housetrained now (shes 15 weeks) and just about goes through 7 hours at night.

They both have separation anxiety, shes ok when hes there but for him only we will do.image
  • Better pic (Eltham park)

• PL54 said:

T.C.E said:

PL54 said:

This puppy has arrived and she's adorable.

How do you stop them howling and screeching in the night though ? Seriously all night yesterday and banshee like.

We won't be having her in our room for sure so she is downstairs in a pen with a very comfy cage, food and water.

During the day she has been very confident and (shit and piss aside) seems absolutely fine.

Separation anxiety, she's just come away her siblings so she's scared. With Bailey we kipped downstairs for a couple of nights. Do it for too long and you'll make her worse, give her an old teeshirt (worn) to snuggle up to or a toy but be careful of children toys, put the radio on a talking channel for her.
    She has food and water in her crate?
    If thats the case you'll never house train her, 8 week old puppies are the same as babies all they do is eat and S***, water should be available at all times but if its in their sleeping quarters she'll use a particular area although that will be last thing she'll want to do, as soon as she wakes up or as soon as she has a drink whip her outside for a p*** likewise after feeding, three times a day at first..... Unfortunately you've chosen the worse time of year to house train her, because you should stay outside until she goes and lots of praise when she does.
    She has a crate within a small pen. Should we lock her in the crate at night ? Food and water are available in the pen but not in the crate itself.
    Sleeping all the way through the night now - with the crate closed she just goes to sleep.

Still gets very upset when left alone in a room on her own in the day though, but getting better. down to about 5 minutes of crying and then she settles.

Now working on the garden, not the carpet, being the toilet.

Would an off cut of carpet in the garden work ?

The 5 of us could get up and out of the house for school and work like a well oiled machine up until the weekend but now the mornings are carnage !
  • edited December 2015
    I wdnt put carpet outside

just take her every half hour to the toilet when out of the crate, crate when you can't, any suspicion of her wanting to go take her out, use an association when she goes in the right place and treat immediately

Take her on the lead, but turn your back to get her to wee.

its worked with Belle
  • House training talk has reminded me of when Bailey was a puppy. Taking himoutside was joy for me but a nightmare for my wife, seconds after going into the garden it was done and back in doors, I assumed my wife had found a neighbour every evening to talk to until she asked the question. Baileys command for going to the toilet, what you say? As your only out there a few minutes, lm gone for ages. Well having a bit of a foul mouth on me it's always been, take a dump or have a piss..... My wife had saying "do your business" so Bailey couldn't work it out. So explaining that that to the good lady was met with "I can't say that" so the same routine continued until after week or so looking pleased she returned in a few minutes. I watched her take Bailey out the next night, she was bending down and whispering in his ear so the neighbours didn't hear her saying it and she was getting a response. It's doesn't matter what you say as long as it's always the same thing.
  • So you tell them to crap and if by chance they do then they get rewarded until such time the word creates an automatic response ?
  • I think you take them out at times of likely delivery, then say the word and reward when it arrives
  • edited December 2015
    PL54 said:

So you tell them to crap and if by chance they do then they get rewarded until such time the word creates an automatic response ?

Thats exactly its the only time talking shite earns a rewards. ;)
    With a puppy its a doodle because ten minutes after eating they want a dump, our puppy was house trained in three days. Any puppy crapping in the house (barring illness) after six weeks in my opinion the owners at fault. By then the dog should sitting by the appropriate door waiting to be let out. If your dog craps by the back door you should have watching the dog and reading the signals and the puppy will tell you, most dogs walk in circles with their nose down before parking their ar5e.
  • It's always fun when the window cleaner turns up...... And walking them as a three ball turns a few heads. imageimage
  • edited December 2015
    With our fella, when he was a pup, he had his crate and then a pen around that to play in. When we had to leave him alone we put pee pads down on the floor of his pen. Once he got used to going to the loo on those we started making the area covered with pads smaller and smaller until we could put down just one pad on a tray to help contain any pee. Then we put a piece of astro turf on top of the pad so he got used to doing on a grass like substance and moved the pad over by the back door and eventually took it away altogether.

Along side that we did all the usual stuff of taking him outside to do his business regularly when we were at home and rewarding him etc.

He can go 10 hours + inside without accident now as just occasionally we have to leave him home for longer than we'd like due to our work schedules. We've even taught him to ring a bell on the back door handle when he wants out and knock the window with his paw when he wants in again.
  • Sponsored links:

• He can go 10 hours + inside without accident now as just occasionally we have to leave him home for longer than we'd like due to our work schedules. We've even taught him to ring a bell on the back door handle when he wants out and knock the window with his paw when he wants in again.

I know people that can't do most of those things. ;)
  • Why not to use retractable leads.image
  • Ouch! Look's like I will be changing lead once little Lola isn't so little anymore.
  • razil said:

we've been looking at getting a new chocolate or black lab, can anyone recommend a good breeder, must be full KC and ideally additional health checks etc

Saw some tonight that were 'half pedigree' and they wanted full whack £550, tried to stop the missus even going there, trying to explain they just aren't worth that, its not that they wouldn't be a great dog, its just the breeder is taking the piss at the asking price. Am I wrong here?

I can never understand why the majority of people seem to favour labradors, I honestly don't get it, they always appear pretty dumb as dogs go. perhaps someone can explain.
  • Actually pretty bright, they can do a number of roles including guide dog. I actually dont see that many, our other one is a King Charles Cav.

Labs are quick trainers too, Belle does sit, stay, leave, high five, and shes 15 weeks, shes nearly house trained too.

Bonkers tho..

• I'm hoping to go on a residential course in the new year with one of my dogs to train him as a "Drugs Dog" as seen at airports etc. Assuming we get selected its a two week course with no job guarantees or anything like that (although that would be nice), but its just something to get my dogs working on something different and just think of the fun I could have at The Covered End entrance on match days. ;)These are toys for our dogs. ;)imageimageimage
  • so you have to have illicit drugs to be able to do this training?
  • razil said:

so you have to have illicit drugs to be able to do this training?

I wondered how it works, apparently its all above board and they supply training and ready trained dogs for customs and other agencies and are licensed to keep these substances for training purposes and at £4600 for a three week course Im hopefully not buying their next stash. ;)
  • edited December 2015
    Diego lives off of grain free foods... he's a delicate lad. :lol:

We usually go for the Wainwrights option or as a treat real meat (cooked).

Diego loves assault courses, skate ramps and all kinds of fun things where he can waste energy.

I just wish we had american style enclosed dog parks over here.

imageimage
  • Sponsored links:

• It looks as though German Shepherd number four will be winging its way to me. At only 7 months old this handsome lad is already needing rehoming, I'm going to take him despite JJ being at that teenager stage as most rescues don't like to rehome at the silly season. So I need some suggestions as to naming this fella, it must be Charlton themed name. Please forget about the currant squad (JJ) is already here and any management under the currant regime..... I was leaning towards "Kins" Kinsella but is doesn't work to well when calling a dog. image
  • edited December 2015
    Lucca, RIP Little boy

Humphrey

Darcy
  • @TCE hi mate what about Curtis or Jenson or maybe Lucas?
  • edited December 2015
    As puppy visits the vet for an operation today, I will be allowed to stay with him throughout the operation as long as I stay out of the way. I also think the vet is doing that for his benefit and not mine. ;)imageimage
  • edited January 2016

• It's time to up the ante, to unleash hell.

Anyone tangles with me, they tangle with Evie.

She may be small; she may be fluffy; but she gives a mean bark.

Introducing.............Canines Against Roland Duchatelet, CARD

Here she is in red and white match day garb, and then wearing black and white.

Be afraid Roland, be very afraid!
  • I think a bit more menacing is the approach needed. ;)image
  • Yep, that works better! Evie doesn't really do menacing.
  • Our pup has been wetting the 'bed' at night. She's in a crate overnight so I've been getting up every night at c3 to let her out for a pee.

All been fine.

Last night I forgot to lock the crate once she walked into it.

I came down at 3 this morning to a kitchen, lounge, dining room, play room and study that looked liked Beckenham on a bad Friday night.