Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• edited August 2016
    I apologize in advance for this rant, but why is it some dog owners either don't have the brains they are born with, or can't be arsed to teach their pets a few basic commands.

I took my two year old grand-daughter for a picnic in Avery Hill Park yesterday, laid the blanket out and we got on with minding our own business until some tool with two small dogs, off leash, come up and started barking right in little uns' face.

I asked the bloke to control his dogs, to which I got the stock answer 'They won't hurt you'. He clearly couldn't control them off leash.
    I asked him again, and said you either control them now, or I will.

I went for a big stick, to get them away from us, as clearly he didn't have a clue what to do.
    I shook the stick at the dogs, and he piped up ' There's no need for that, they are only trying to be friendly'.

I asked him to explain that in simple terms to my distraught two year old grand-daughter. I must confess to the red mist rising with his attitude. He even blamed it on her crying was the reason the dog was barking. I said, ' She wasn't until you came long'.

I know that dogs are inquisitive, as probably their owner does too, but surely it's not a lot to expect when they see a young child having a picnic to take a reasonable precaution and keep their dogs on a lead, or better still learn and teach the dogs the three basic commands, of lie down, come to heel, and be quiet. It's not fucking rocket science. I also know that not all dog owners are the same as this and the majority are reasonable.

I witnessed another young family going through the same things in the park this morning.

As she once said, there's no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad dog owner.

Rant over!
  • I'm afraid when I lived up there Avery hill was one place I avoided with my dogs. Poor dog ownership is everywhere, only this morning when was out with our puppy 3 small breeds charged at her and the owner smirking at me said they won't do that when she's fully grown. My reply was if one my fully grown dogs had done to hers she'd have been calling the police. I'm afraid it's the £Uck everyone else attitude that's widespread through society, we have a section of beach here that dogs are allowed on all year around. Some owners mentality is the sunbathers should piss up off up the other end and will wander along the beach slinging a fecking ball over the heads of picnicking families. It's just poor behavioural standards, some people with dogs need to understand while they know their dog may not bite the person on the receiving end of their dogs attention is not reassured by your word on it and from a child's perspective it's even more frightening. As I said to someone the other day, sit on the floor and call my dog and then you'll see him from a child's height. As "responsible" dog owner I like would to invite you and your family down to meet Bailey and Valli and the pack and have private agility display at our paddock.
    Rayimage
  • edited August 2016
    I fully agree with Ray here - @TCE - Mrs RM and I have 6 German Shepherds ranging in age from 11 1/2 years to 4 months old. Many times when either I or Mrs RM are out walking 1 or 2 of them, they will be happily 'bimbiling' about in the park or open farmland when they are approached by other dogs (normally small ones funnily enough) barking and ranting.
    We call our dogs back, who, because they are properly trained, do as they are told, only to be followed by the other persons dogs who is saying " they only want to play" and "they wont hurt your dogs". We just stand there and think of "course they won't hurt our dogs, they would eat them as a snack", so we ask "why cant you control them?", then we get a torrent of abuse!!
    I can assure you f it was the other way around we would get the blame for having Big dogs out of control......absolutely agree, there are no bad dogs, just really awful and crap owners who shouldn't be allowed to own a dog!!
  • Ray, that's a very kind gesture and one we will take up. I'll pm you.
  • I fully agree with Ray here - @TCE - Mrs RM and I have 6 German Shepherds ranging in age from 11 1/2 years to 4 months old. Many times when either I or Mrs RM are out walking 1 or 2 of them, they will be happily 'bimbiling' about in the park or open farmland when they are approached by other dogs (normally small ones funnily enough) barking and ranting.
    We call our dogs back, who, because they are properly trained, do as they are told, only to be followed by the other persons dogs who is saying " they only want to play" and "they wont hurt your dogs". We just stand there and think of "course they won't hurt our dogs, they would eat them as a snack", so we ask "why cant you control them?", then we get a torrent of abuse!!
    I can assure you f it was the other way around we would get the blame for having Big dogs out of control......absolutely agree, there are no bad dogs, just really awful and crap owners who shouldn't be allowed to own a dog!!

Feckin six, I'll have to get more now. ;)
  • Small dogs are c****, FACT.

It drives me crazy the amount of people that walk their dogs off-lead here, despite their dog not having the first clue how to behave off-lead.

People comment how well behaved my dog is, it's not that hard to train a dog, time and effort, if you can't be bothered, don't buy a dog!
  • Hi Ray, yes we kept an 'All Black' from our last litter, we also have a 'dark sable' who is 9 months old (both males). So we have 3 males and 3 females. I'll try and post a picture of both of them in a little while on here.
  • Hi Ray, yes we kept an 'All Black' from our last litter, we also have a 'dark sable' who is 9 months old (both males). So we have 3 males and 3 females. I'll try and post a picture of both of them in a little while on here.

Is Ang running the sable on or are you keeping her too? One these is not the "furry Shark" is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Small dogs are c****, FACT.

It drives me crazy the amount of people that walk their dogs off-lead here, despite their dog not having the first clue how to behave off-lead.

People comment how well behaved my dog is, it's not that hard to train a dog, time and effort, if you can't be bothered, don't buy a dog!

Don't say that Stu, I make a comfortable 300 quid a week showing people how fecking difficult it is. ;)
  • 3 months old today Sits, Down's, recalls young Valli with Uncle JJimage
  • T.C.E said:

Small dogs are c****, FACT.

Don't say that Stu, I make a comfortable 300 quid a week showing people how fecking difficult it is. ;)
    Oh, in that case, everyone should have their dog's professionally trained, or they'll probably start eating babies!
  • edited August 2016
    T.C.E said:

Hi Ray, yes we kept an 'All Black' from our last litter, we also have a 'dark sable' who is 9 months old (both males). So we have 3 males and 3 females. I'll try and post a picture of both of them in a little while on here.

Is Ang running the sable on or are you keeping her too? One these is not the "furry Shark" is it?
    The furry shark (Zeek) is the Dark Sable short coat, he is 9 months old and a pure working dog, hard as bloody nails and will compete in man work and tracking. Ang is training him at a full working club run by people that compete. I'll put a link on here of his dad and what he did in Germany.
    The 'All Black' is a short coat (really rare nowadays) is a dual purpose dog, work and show. He is 4 months old and called 'Clay'.
    Jed is now 11 1/2 and getting really slow, he also has lost most of his hearing and his eye-sight is failing, but he still enjoys a walk and is eating well.
    Cinna (the kick-ass 2 dog) has just completed an advert with Claudio Ranneri (spelling) which will be shown on Sky sports sometime.
    Then of course there is Uma and Bea.
  • edited August 2016
    On the flip side of this a situation that occurs week in, week out:

It boils my blood when sat on the beach, in a park or especially in a pub garden when parents let their kids charge towards us all overexcited at Diego, screaming is it a fox in his face, they then let their kids try and stroke him without permission from me or my other half.

We ask them to approach slowly and be gentle or if he's already tired just say he's not friendly (he's very friendly)

Then after a few moments he'll start becoming overwhelmed and show submissive signs such as flattening his ears and his tail drooping between his legs.

I warn these parents and kids every time. I advise that he's had enough now... they continue to let their brats intimidate my dog. I cannot push the child away so I speak to the parents...

I say 'he's getting a bit scared, can you tell your kids to leave him be'... The answer is almost always along the lines of 'They're okay, just be gentle kids'

Then as Diego starts to whine and at worst growl very softly, not aggressively just enough to say he's really uncomfortable...

I will tell the kids to leave him alone now... the parents then get all aggy about it and tell you not to talk to their kids like that?

I mean seriously how stupid are these people. I have warned them and their kids once.

I have warned them twice and now my dog looks uncomfortable.

He is now also trying to tell me and them he's had enough and the little kids aren't listening to me...

Somehow they think i'm the arsehole for finally warning off their kids and telling them to leave him now.

It has got to a stage where we move away from them if we're in the park etc, but if we're having a picnic, are set up on the beach or are in a pub garden, there really isn't very far you can go.

It has caused more than one disagreement with child owners.

He is always on lead so can't even run away.

If a dog owner says that's enough, listen to them they know their dog.

You do not.

We do not want our dogs put down because you were too stupid to listen to our warnings and the warnings our dogs were giving.

Just as a side note, Diego has never bitten anyone, he just starts shaking if they don't go away as he's threatened but knows he can't defend himself by biting.
  • You two must spend a fortune on food!!

I have a year old Lab that eats £3 a day.
  • T.C.E said:

Hi Ray, yes we kept an 'All Black' from our last litter, we also have a 'dark sable' who is 9 months old (both males). So we have 3 males and 3 females. I'll try and post a picture of both of them in a little while on here.

The furry shark (Zeek) is the Dark Sable short coat, he is 9 months old and a pure working dog, hard as bloody nails and will compete in man work and tracking. Ang is training him at a full working club run by people that compete. I'll put a link on here of his dad and what he did in Germany.
    The 'All Black' is a short coat (really rare nowadays) is a dual purpose dog, work and show. He is 4 months old and called 'Clay'.
    Jed is now 11 1/2 and getting really slow, he also has lost most of his hearing and his eye-sight is failing, but he still enjoys a walk and is eating well.
    Cinna (the kick-ass 2 dog) has just completed an advert with Claudio Ranneri (spelling) which will be shown on Sky sports sometime.
    Then of course there is Uma and Bea.
    Have a word with this boy Redmidland absolute stunning dog, didn't have clue how to play. Spent half the lesson teaching him and ended walking him back to the car because he didn't want to go, very unfit but stunning.image
  • That is one beautiful dog!
  • Beach side house, free dog displays, now where was I:

I was in a park the other day and this irresponsible dog owner let his dog come up to me and bark.

Is there food, drink and accommodation included as well Ray :smile:
  • Dazzler21 said:

On the flip side of this a situation that occurs week in, week out:

It boils my blood when sat on the beach, in a park or especially in a pub garden when parents let their kids charge towards us all overexcited at Diego, screaming is it a fox in his face, they then let their kids try and stroke him without permission from me or my other half.

We ask them to approach slowly and be gentle or if he's already tired just say he's not friendly (he's very friendly)

Then after a few moments he'll start becoming overwhelmed and show submissive signs such as flattening his ears and his tail drooping between his legs.

I warn these parents and kids every time. I advise that he's had enough now... they continue to let their brats intimidate my dog. I cannot push the child away so I speak to the parents...

I say 'he's getting a bit scared, can you tell your kids to leave him be'... The answer is almost always along the lines of 'They're okay, just be gentle kids'

Then as Diego starts to whine and at worst growl very softly, not aggressively just enough to say he's really uncomfortable...

I will tell the kids to leave him alone now... the parents then get all aggy about it and tell you not to talk to their kids like that?

I mean seriously how stupid are these people. I have warned them and their kids once.

I have warned them twice and now my dog looks uncomfortable.

He is now also trying to tell me and them he's had enough and the little kids aren't listening to me...

Somehow they think i'm the arsehole for finally warning off their kids and telling them to leave him now.

It has got to a stage where we move away from them if we're in the park etc, but if we're having a picnic, are set up on the beach or are in a pub garden, there really isn't very far you can go.

It has caused more than one disagreement with child owners.

He is always on lead so can't even run away.

If a dog owner says that's enough, listen to them they know their dog.

You do not.

We do not want our dogs put down because you were too stupid to listen to our warnings and the warnings our dogs were giving.

Just as a side note, Diego has never bitten anyone, he just starts shaking if they don't go away as he's threatened but knows he can't defend himself by biting.

I'm afraid I would remove myself and my dogs from situation, I won't risk my dogs life catering for a idiot, if JJ bit a child's face almost certainly that child would die. So at risk of wasting half a pint I would leave, no ifs or buts. If people remember a certain explayer giving his children sandwiches and telling them to sit down on the floor and eat which they did, within a metre of Bailey. Yes, it was Bailey he's trained to ignore food etc but to put a dog in that position is not right, so as an owner I would remove my dog I didn't on that day but spent most of it ignoring conversations around me and concentrating on my dog. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• You two must spend a fortune on food!!

I bet feed my four for less than 3 quid a day. Feckin PAH hate people like me. ;)
  • T.C.E said:

You two must spend a fortune on food!!

I bet feed my four for less than 3 quid a day. Feckin PAH hate people like me. ;)
    Mind you, I don't suppose you have PAH out there?
  • T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Oops, PAH = Pets at Home. ;)
  • edited August 2016
    Good point TCE, but if you're having lunch in a beer garden it's more difficult. I have at times asked the Mrs to keep an eye on my food/drink whilst I take Diego for a stroll around the car park or around the park/beach... it's so annoying that you have to take yourself and your dog away from where you set up, because someone won't listen.

Diego's life I admit is much more important to me than a dinner/pint. I'd wonder why I own him if I didn't feel that way.

How do you feed them so cheaply? Are your boys on Raw? Diego is allergic to grain so is on a grain free diet ad we're thinking Raw may be better for him.

He also hates a tooth brushing session... so Raw may not be the best.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Good point TCE, Are your boys on Raw?

No mate, not surprisingly I break all the rules and combine to two. ;)

Beach side house, free dog displays, now where was I:

I was in a park the other day and this irresponsible dog owner let his dog come up to me and bark.

Is there food, drink and accommodation included as well Ray :smile:

Ifyou want a pint your welcome Mike......... ;)
  • T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

I get Orijen imported, costs a bloody fortune!

If you had some tips of home prepped food and it's not too cheeky to ask, perhaps we could exchange some PM's.
  • T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

I get Orijen imported, costs a bloody fortune!

If you had some tips of home prepped food and it's not too cheeky to ask, perhaps we could exchange some PM's.
    I'm not to clued up on raw diet, but I do know there is a FB page on the subject. But mine eat everything from chicken wings/legs/carcass through to salmon, pork and beef. Just remember no cooked bones just raw bones.........
  • I tell the other half about cooked bones roughly 5 times a week..... never bloody listens, drives me mental.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Good point TCE, but if you're having lunch in a beer garden it's more difficult. I have at times asked the Mrs to keep an eye on my food/drink whilst I take Diego for a stroll around the car park or around the park/beach... it's so annoying that you have to take yourself and your dog away from where you set up, because someone won't listen.

Diego's life I admit is much more important to me than a dinner/pint. I'd wonder why I own him if I didn't feel that way.

How do you feed them so cheaply? Are your boys on Raw? Diego is allergic to grain so is on a grain free diet ad we're thinking Raw may be better for him.

He also hates a tooth brushing session... so Raw may not be the best.

Never brushed my dogs teeth in their lives! All food purchased online and wholesale, if you want to feed raw get an extra freezer.
    Bailey has 17 severe allergies and 70+ just below the level of at risk of severe he also suffers from Hypothyroidism. So we have to be careful about what he eats but also where he takes a pi55 as one of his allergies is certain trees. ;) Tell me what you feed your dog and how much you pay and I'll get a price for you. ;)
    And NO, I won't mark it up. ;)
  • Without doubt the most loving, loyal of my dogs. JJ would run down the wing through a wall for me. As you could imagine he stands well over 5'3" on his back legs so just as well he wasn't called Solly as a puppy.
    imageimage