Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    Bailey and Xena (our rescue) settled down after two weeks and are inseperable and have become good mates.
    . image
  • Options
    Lovely pics TCE. Keep them coming.
  • Options
    I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and is a fantastic pet, they are bred to hunt lions and there just happens to be loads of them around here.

Definately one one of the faithfull sleeps on a section of Charlton carpet.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    A update for those that maybe interested in the progress of two and a half year old Bailey.
    This coming thursday he has an assessment to become a PAT dog (Pets as Therapy) for those that dont know should he pass he will be used to visit schools, care homes, hospices and hospitals as well as be used to help folk with a fear of dogs. The pictures shown are Bailey 2.5 months 18 and 29 months.imageimageimage
  • Options
    Buster at 18 months.....
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This afternoon this boy surpassed everything I could imagjne, with a score of 50 points from a possible 50 points, Bailey passed his assessment and is now qualified as a Therapy Dog (PAT)
    For those that are unaware of what a PAT dog is, they are are used in various scenario's including the visit of Hospices, Hospitals, Sheltered Accomodation, Special need schools helping people in several ways.
    Once all the paperwork is completed, CRB checks that sort of thing, one of the places I hope to get to visit is Demelza House.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwFjLeMuRSgimage
  • Options
    Of all the threads on CL, this is my favourite because there are no personal attacks on posters. Instead a succession of photos of beautiful animals. I am probably not alone in feeling slightly wary of German Shepherds (although I love dogs - as well as cats) but Bailey looks magnificant and those who come into contact with him in his role as a PAT dog will be very fortunate.
    TCE, how is Xena coming on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How do you copy an image into here? I have tried copy and paste and the image option nothing seems to work.
  • Options
    Not mentioned here but I don't know why Staffies have such a bad reputation. I've know a couple who were both as soppy as socks!
  • Options
    @AddickFC81.
    Unfotunately for staffs, the problem lays at the other end of the lead. As you say Staffs are smashing dogs, but they are traded like cigarette cards. Until someone does something it wont change.
    1970s The Doberman
    1980s The Rottweiler
    1990s The German Shepherd
    2000s The Bull Terrier breeds
    See the pattern? Everyone of those breeds above the Terriers was persecuted for being ferocious, until reputable breeders took the lead (excuse the pun) and hiked up prices as well as interviewing potential owners and issuing contracts with breeding restrictions. Staffs are available in the freeads and prices around 50 quid, you wont turn up at a reputable breeders with a pocket full of cash and walk away with a dog, Bailey's breeder would certainly tell you to feck off if you tried it, Redmidlands Missus, while he was up here turned away a potential owners because something wasn't right. Staffordshire Bull Terriers arn't the problem.
  • Options

How do you copy an image into here? I have tried copy and paste and the image option nothing seems to work.

click on attach file, then browse, find you photo then load it ; )

• Options

Of all the threads on CL, this is my favourite because there are no personal attacks on posters. Instead a succession of photos of beautiful animals. I am probably not alone in feeling slightly wary of German Shepherds (although I love dogs - as well as cats) but Bailey looks magnificant and those who come into contact with him in his role as a PAT dog will be very fortunate.
    TCE, how is Xena coming on?

Xena is doing fantastically well her seperation issues are almost sorted, she appears to have latched on to my wife which is great because training the two of them together was bloody hard work. She's so far behind Bailey it was setting him backimageimage
  • Options
    Hope this works, but this is my 6-year-old solid-black GSD Ted. He is owned my family since he was 10- weeks old.
  • Options
    @legaladdick, just say the word.
    Come and meet him, it might help you overcome your nervousness, because trust me you wont meet many bigger Sheps than Bailey.
  • Options
    Retired Greyhounds are wonderful..
  • Options

Hope this works, but this is my 6-year-old solid-black GSD Ted. He is owned my family since he was 10- weeks old.

He's a good looking boy. ; )
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Retired Greyhounds are wonderful..

We regularly meet a lady from greyhound rescue, lovely dogs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    What's your view on huskies tce seem to be in papers a bit of late. Would you say there a family dog?
  • Options
    I have a 12 year old border collie, he came from battersea dogs home and was a year old when I picked him up.

well I was shocked this morning, a women and her child asked if they could stroke him and I said of course. everything was fine for a few minutes and then suddenly he bit the little girl, I was mortified. I couldn't believe he'd done it, he's never bitten anyone or thing before.?

thankfully the mother was ok, saying it was a valuable lesson for her daughter to always ask before strocking, she was great, luckily he hadn't broken any skin and little girl didn't cry but I don't know what to do now, should anyone ask in the future should I say no?

I've had him for 11 fantastic years, why would he do that, to be fair he hasn't been well for a few days, vomiting and dioherea so maybe it was that but it could have turned nasty, the women was.brilliant but she could have been in rights to inform the police or something?
  • Options
    Beautiful Dog Nolly, I don't know too much about temperament around the family envoironment, one thing I would suggest is if you are thinking of buying a dog of that size, do your research, go to the pedigree dog database find a champion breeder and contact via email, any breeder worth their salt will help you with advice. One I do know there's a guy quite local to me who has 5, he jogs with the older 3 on harness and he runs from 75 to 100 miles a week. That suggests the obvious,the dog loves to run! The downside is, if they don't get that run they could vent their energy elsewhere. Some dogs chew furniture, some chew theirselves, some may misbehave in other ways including aggression. I don't read the papers Nolly, what's the news on Huskies? Remembering the papers as I do, l'm guessing it's not good publicity
  • Options
    i love the huskie,always wanted one,few probs in ireland with them,there popular there and few isolated incidents highlighted.
  • Options
    my mother is training her dog a staff cross rhodesian ridgeback in epsom TCE , had first lesson where there just getting him to walk more calmly.
  • Options

I have a 12 year old border collie, he came from battersea dogs home and was a year old when I picked him up.

well I was shocked this morning, a women and her child asked if they could stroke him and I said of course. everything was fine for a few minutes and then suddenly he bit the little girl, I was mortified. I couldn't believe he'd done it, he's never bitten anyone or thing before.?

thankfully the mother was ok, saying it was a valuable lesson for her daughter to always ask before strocking, she was great, luckily he hadn't broken any skin and little girl didn't cry but I don't know what to do now, should anyone ask in the future should I say no?

I've had him for 11 fantastic years, why would he do that, to be fair he hasn't been well for a few days, vomiting and dioherea so maybe it was that but it could have turned nasty, the women was.brilliant but she could have been in rights to inform the police or something?

Firstly, if he's ill with sh*ts and throwing up is he drinking?
    If he's not drinking then the vet is your next call, he will dehydrate in next to no time especially in this heat.
    I'm guessing he's in some discomfort and the young girl found the spot, fortunately no harm was done, as you say it's out of character and you know your dog. So I would suggest he's feeling crap, unfortunately they are animals and they certainly should never be trusted 100%

• Options
    nolly said:

my mother is training her dog a staff cross rhodesian ridgeback in epsom TCE , had first lesson where there just getting him to walk more calmly.

Had interesting conversation with a fella having problems walking his dog, all the normal pulling, lunging, spitting and snarling at other dogs and people.
    I have my first ever proper paying dog training session with a 18 month Yorkshire Terrier. Now if someone can tell me how a dog that size can drag a grown man down the road,
    I'm listening ; )
  • Options
    if this does not work out in epsom i will get you on the firm, he hardly barks at anything but loves balls and will run and grab it off anyone playing,not in a nasty way but still not on
  • Options

Bavarian Mountain Hound, would love to get one of these next year. They're excellent tracking dogs and, imo, amazing looking dogs too!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Never seen one Rob, they've got ears on them. Are there many of them in this country?
    Like you say, good looking dogs.