Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

News of the World

Comments

• I've got my finger on the pulse les_says.

Other people may be able to predict boring things like football transfers, but I've got all the big stories!
    ;o)
  • When will they launch 'The Sunday Sun'?
  • I've got my finger on the pulse les_says.

Other people may be able to predict boring things like football transfers, but I've got all the big stories!
    ;o)
    and i should've said 'thank' rather than 'blame'!
  • Very interesting revelation of the extent of Tony Blair's relationship with the top people at News Corp just come out at the Old Bailey.
  • Riviera said:

Very interesting revelation of the extent of Tony Blair's relationship with the top people at News Corp just come out at the Old Bailey.

Don't be such a tease. Tell all, please.

• Rebekah Brooks. How on earth has she got so powerful so young ?

A quote from 3 years ago.

I think the answer to that is close to coming out.........

• And a general reminder to be extremely bloody careful what you post on here and other social media....

These type of people employ firms who employ people trawl the web for potential litigation......
  • Riviera said:

Very interesting revelation of the extent of Tony Blair's relationship with the top people at News Corp just come out at the Old Bailey.

It's widely reported on Sky and BBC so no need to worry. It was a piece of evidence submitted at the Central Criminal Court of England!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26259956
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

It's widely reported on Sky and BBC so no need to worry. It was a piece of evidence submitted at the Central Criminal Court of England!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26259956
    I can see why this is going to cause a stir and all that but at the end of the day is an ex-prime minister/politician (and lawyer btw) providing mostly PR advice to a newspaper editor and owner. Not really sure it's all that 'sexy' tbh and lots of MP's provide lots of dodgy people with advice and a lot more besides every day I'd suggest.

• Not sexy? Publish a "Hutton Style" report? I think that is very, very "sexy" and I wish we had our own Woodward and Bernstein in this country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Not sexy? Publish a "Hutton Style" report? I think that is very, very "sexy" and I wish we had our own Woodward and Bernstein in this country.

I didn't read it at first as encouraging them to publish a "cover up" if that's what you're alluding to rather the format of the thing.
  • I think the interesting thing is the inferred point that Hutton was indeed a cover-up. I'm really not bothered about celebs having their phones hacked but I am really interested in what really happened to David Kelly.
    There have been so many cover ups by successive British governments and I wish we had the people with the energy to expose them.
  • The phone hacking I have little sympathy for, if someone famous does not change their voice mailbox pin from the default one their network gives them, more fool them.

This was never about a missing girls phone being hacked (disgusting). It was slebs having privacy invaded that was not on terms that suited them.

• Riviera said:

I think the interesting thing is the inferred point that Hutton was indeed a cover-up.

As if we didn't know that already.

• edited February 2014
    Carter said:

The phone hacking I have little sympathy for, if someone famous does not change their voice mailbox pin from the default one their network gives them, more fool them.

This was never about a missing girls phone being hacked (disgusting). It was slebs having privacy invaded that was not on terms that suited them.

I don't think they ever want their privacy invaded, some (but by no means all) want to use the media on their terms, agreed. I also think that the methods involved were a bit more cloak and dagger than having a stab at a default setting. A number of the people we are told were hacked were hardly celebs at all - do we really think the missing girl was the only ordinary person they targeted?
  • Oh not at all, ordinary people in extraordinary situations such as the poor Dowler family I'm certain have been the target of phone hacking.

In all honesty that is all they would have had to do, have you changed your pin on your voicemail?

What I'm saying is this pretty dirty behaviour was not brought to light because of people like the Dowlers it was whistle blown because someone like sienna miller got caught nobbing around and did not drip feed it to a tabloid.
  • I don't even know how to access my voicemail Carts... :-(
  • Haha and there's you hacked ;-)

• The whole affair proves once again that the law of unintended consequences is particularly applicable to technology. Tapping, trolls, tracking and dependency all seem sadly obvious now. Do the benefits of instant and constant communication outweigh the negative consequences?
    I seem to constantly be dealing with the fallout from social media at work but recently we located a missing young person using twitter and fbook.
    The only surprise is that the powerful didn't have somebody cover their trail for us. That's the lesson isn't it? Once you start to tap those screens eventually it'll come back and bite your arse.
  • Sponsored links:

• The broader point of Blair's email to Brooks was that he was helping News Corp. at exactly the time that the company had switched their support from Labour to the Tories and were embarking on a massive campaign to get David Cameron elected - Brooks is a close friend of Cameron and one of his biggest supporters.

People in the Labour movement see this as a huge betrayal from someone who was a Labour PM and was supposed to be on their side, not the side of Murdoch and Brooks.

Blair was always struggling to be let back into the Labour fold after the Clusterfuck of Iraq, now the hatred for him will go even deeper because once again he has put his own personal interests above those of the Labour Party, he may never be forgiven for this.

Its quite funny really, Neil Kinnock warned Blair years ago that getting into bed with Murdoch would ultimately destroy him - it took 20 years but he was bang on the money.
  • Sorry Ormi, but when was Blair Labour Prime Minister?
  • Riviera said:

Sorry Ormi, but when was Blair Labour Prime Minister?

1997-2007.

But your loyalty to the party that gave you everything you now have - including tens of millions in cash - is supposed to endure for a while.

Blair never really cared about the party itself anyway, that's probably why he was so successful.
  • New Labour was always Conservative Lite. Mandelson more of a tory than a lot of tories!
  • And a general reminder to be extremely bloody careful what you post on here and other social media....

These type of people employ firms who employ people trawl the web for potential litigation......

Ermm... I best be careful.... Well... Did...no forget that... Anyone allergic to ginger??? (The food) :-O
  • Riviera said:

1997-2007.

But your loyalty to the party that gave you everything you now have - including tens of millions in cash - is supposed to endure for a while.

Blair never really cared about the party itself anyway, that's probably why he was so successful.
    I've never voted Labour in my life but came very close to voting for Tony Blair.
  • Riviera said:

1997-2007.

Ormiston Addick! You're better than that.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

1997-2007.

Ormiston Addick! You're better than that.
    Yes, fair enough, you got me there, not really any such thing as Labour/Tory PM.
  • Its quite funny really, Neil Kinnock warned Blair years ago that getting into bed with Murdoch would ultimately destroy him - it took 20 years but he was bang on the money.

I'd like to be destroyed in this way.

Riviera said:

• Blair was always struggling to be let back into the Labour fold after the Clusterfuck of Iraq, now the hatred for him will go even deeper because once again he has put his own personal interests hatred of Gordon Brown above those of the Labour Party, he may never be forgiven for this.

EFA