Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woking v Charlton Athletic PSF 23 July 2011 - News, Views and Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    that woking keeper sounded like he had a really good game!! saved everything we hit at him!!
  • Options
    that woking keeper sounded like he had a really good game!! saved everything we hit at him!!

Trust me we didnt hit him with that much.
  • Options
    thanks from the west coast of Oz Red, great job as usual.

where in the west are you?

Just around the corner from Hillary's. I believe we have met once. When Tel was here a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Defence looked more solid than Vs Shots, but less threat from Cards. Francis could force his way back on this showing, Stephens very classy, Alexis our most dangerous striker but that's not saying much. Davisson and Pritchard also good games.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Was at the match, it wasn't a bad game, kept possession quite nicely. In the first half Hayes and whoever was upfront with him offered nothing in my opinion and Waggy needs to deliver his balls in earlier as he kept running and running and eventually losing the ball. The woking keeper made some quality saves in the first half, but apart from 3 or 4 chances Charlton didn't really offer much in attack.

Players that impressed me were Stephens, he sprayed the ball around nicely and set up 2 or 3 chances. Mambo also did well, was strong in the tackle and in the air.

Players that didn't impress were Hayes, looked slow got beaten to the ball mostly every time, and Wagstaff although he wasn't that bad, there were too many times were he could of put a cross in but decided to take on the man or run into the corner where he lost it. 
  • Options

Not overly impressive but need to remember it wasn't anything like a full strength side. Their keeper kept them in it with a couple of good saves.

Positives for me were Stephens who looked good, and Pritchard who looks a very tidy player.

Good to see Euell albeit as a cameo appearance.

• Options
    Wasn't that Hayes longest game since January? How did Euell do in the little time he was on?
  • Options
    hayes will struggle to look sharp for a while, no football since january will do that.
  • Options
    Stephens reminds me of Carrick. Looked very good for a 20min spell in the 1st half.
  • Options
    Stephens looked good as did Francis. Waggy was poor as usual and I'm not quite sure what Hayes offers as a player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011
    not great vibes coming from these games but den bosh and den scum games we're more likely to see more of a first choice 11 ....
    hayes isn't sounding promising from reports but we can just hope it's down to rustiness but he was surplus to a relegated preston so doesn't  sound promising
    i hope benno and francis stay 

5€€€ per cent autos 70 per cent play off stress 25 per cent another year of embarrassment
  • Options
    Stephens, could well be the player who makes it all work, doesn't waste the ball, gets it, gives it, picks a pass and a half
  • Options
    den bosh and den scum games

Wish I'd said that : - )

Hayes will be fine. Might take time for him and BWP as well as the other players to get on the same wavelenght but he is a very unselfish player. His striking partners always do well.

Still expect to see one or two more come in soon and a loan or two in September.
  • Options
    Euell is playing for a contract
  • Options

Stephens looked superb today. He was playing at the very slow pace of the game, but have to say he looks a real player.

I spoke to Ben Roberts at half time. Alonso was given a bit of time to sort out houses etc, and also he is 3 weeks behind on the others in terms of training. He will be in contention next week. Also, Evina's knock is nothing serious. In fact, he said if it was a league game tomorrow, everyone would be fit.

My auto spell wouldnt let me type Waggy. Kept getting Wayward - think maybe my phone knew something. Green will be a fixture on the right this year, but think Waggy is better behind the front guy, or as an impact sub.

Pritchard looked handy. Defo a decent 4th choice centre mid option (far better than McCormack). Alonso, Hollands, Stephens and Pritchard is very nice. Add in Green, Jacko, Waggy and Bover and we look good in midfield.

• Options

For what it's worh v a moderate Woking:

Sullivan: If I was a cb he'd make me nervous. Clearly a good shpt-stopper, but although his final kick is ok as a rule, he does look jittery when asked to "sweep". also flapped at two very catchable crosses today, although at least he wanted them.

Francis: Very good, esp bearing in mind recent goings on.

Doc: OK, he's slow, but played with a nice determination, missing from someone I'll mention later.

Mambo: Did well. May yet have a future with us.

Andersen: Impressed again. Would like to see him at cb too.

Waggy: Attacked his full back, worked hard, but again final cross often disappointed.

Stephens: Excellent; showed what a cultured midfielder sitting deep can do, unlike many a defender helping out in midfield. Great passing range and not uncomfortable further forward when the moment arrives.

Pritchard: Did himself no harm at all. Energetic, determined, and ready to attack when opportunity arose.

Davisson: Really impressed today. Showed much more hunger to go with his excellent use of the ball which he rarely gives away. Obvious concerns re. size (here we go again).

Popo: Tried hard, lively and never shirked, but had his work cut out to make much impression largely because...

Hayes: Very disappointing. I understand he's missed match time but he's not going to get match fit with that amount of effort. I hate to jump on someone so early and will support him all the way but there was more than a hint of Abbott about his lack of effort. As a foil for Popo he gave him virtually nothing and made little effort to reach balls that didn't land on his foot. Let's hope he'd been told to take it easy and that it's not his natural inclination. This really wasn't the kind of input we need from a No.9, dropping off or not, but let's give him a chance.

• Options
    im loving the reports on dale stephens my sort of midfielder passing range is brilliant sounds good for the season
  • Options
    Forgot to mention Yado, who looked very assured. I'd like to see him against better oppo.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    i would like to state now that paul hayes will come good!! i think he will be linking up the play and making chances for the midfield and his stike partner! him and hooper were surpurb together for scunny! at preston it just didnt happen for him its a comfident thing preston dumped him didnt use him but didnt let us have him on loan! he will be fine ;-)
  • Options
    Really hope you're right uie2.I'm happy to give him time to get fit but feel he missed a chance to put in some yards this afternoon. Fingers crossed...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased to hear that Stephens sounded good as I have big hopes for him but I dont think you can take anything from pre season games apart from improving fitness. Just look at the likes of Stoke who lost to Aldershot today. It's nice to win but ultimately these results mean nothing!
  • Options
    Pleased to hear that Stephens sounded good as I have big hopes for him but I dont think you can take anything from pre season games apart from improving fitness. Just look at the likes of Stoke who lost to Aldershot today. It's nice to win but ultimately these results mean nothing!
    Your right mate. Its just fitness. A lot of people put the knife in about drawing at Aldershot but they beat Stoke today so it means nothing! It is nice to see the team take shape and win but, Powell hasnt played the first team together properly yet and they need to gel more as its a new team. The next to games at Den Bosch and Millwall i think we will see more of the first team which will give us an idea. 
    And on the Hayes note. I wasnt exactly optimistic when we signed him anyway. Records speak for themselves but lets hope im wrong aye. 
  • Options
    Can't believe some peoples willingness to put the boot in after just a few friendlies.

God help us if we don't win the Bournemouth match by six clear goals.
  • Options

Can I just add that we are followed by some of the biggest w**kers on the face of the earth.

To the bllying pricks who thought it fun to have a pop at the young Woking fan standing at the back of the terrace, you are utter c**nts.

If anyone thinks I'm over reacting consider that this fan was female, around 10-11 years old and was quite clearly mentally handicapped. When I mentioned that they really were a clever bunch they funnily enough didn't have anything to say back.

• Options
    The fucking dregs of society Clem, unbelievable how low some people will go ....shoulda given them a slap mate
  • Options
    Yeah i know the lot you are on about Clem. Me and Nathan were standing near them first half.
  • Options
    Same group I ended up on the train with?
  • Options

Im feeling good about this season dont really care about todays result its all about fitness at this stage and I know,with another couple of signings,particularly  up front,that we have a team capable of getting out of this league and I cant wait for this club to be back where it belongs certainly in the top two divisions of English football.I have a feeling also that simon francis has a point to prove lets see!!! 

• Options
    edited July 2011

"Hayes: Very disappointing. I understand he's missed match time but he's not going to get match fit with that amount of effort. I hate to jump on someone so early and will support him all the way but there was more than a hint of Abbott about his lack of effort. As a foil for Popo he gave him virtually nothing and made little effort to reach balls that didn't land on his foot. Let's hope he'd been told to take it easy and that it's not his natural inclination. This really wasn't the kind of input we need from a No.9, dropping off or not, but let's give him a chance."

Since we were first rumoured to be linked with him I've heard nothing very complimentary apart from one decent season with Scunthorpe. A worse goal scoring record than Abbott. Its all very well saying that he'll set up chances for others but I'm happy with the midfield doing that & the strikers putting those chances away. A simplistic view I know & of course all strikers bring others into the game but the fact remains we have brought in a striker with a poor goalscoring record......again. Midfield looks good but feel we're going to be lacking at both ends.

Sullivan looking dodgy? As I've said before he was 3rd choice at millsmall for a reason.

• Options
    As you say yourself 'simplistic'

Had a lot more than one good season and scores his share of goals especially at this level.