Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woking v Charlton Athletic PSF 23 July 2011 - News, Views and Match Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Same group I ended up on the train with?
    Yep.
  • Options

Im feeling good about this season dont really care about todays result its all about fitness at this stage and I know,with another couple of signings,particularly  up front,that we have a team capable of getting out of this league and I cant wait for this club to be back where it belongs certainly in the top two divisions of English football.I have a feeling also that simon francis has a point to prove lets see!!! 

Several times today you could have applauded Francis and slated him within 10 seconds. Rothko nailed it when he said to me that he does the difficult bits well but then fecks it up bu slicing simple clearances into touch or mis-controlling and the letting the ball run away from him.

I know he wasn't up against much today but for what its worth he looked more at home than Solly has. Given his lack of pre-season I was also impressed that he got through 90mins pretty easily.

• Options

Yes simplistic....and ?

scores his share of goals, what does that mean ? he's not very good so we don't expect him to score many but that's ok because that's his normal quota ?

Took him 100 games more to score the same number of goals as Abbott who has been slated over & over again on here, but anyone else isn't entitled to an opinion because he's a new signing I guess? 

• Options
    Yep agreed on Francis, done well at muscling the attacker off the ball and winning it but then went and ruined it with a thoughtless ball out which gave it back to them. There's a good player in there, Powell needs to have plenty of one to one chats with him, give him confidence.
  • Options
    Have to agree with much of what has been said.

Stephens looks capable of running a game from the middle and think the description of Pritchard as "tidy" hits the nail on the head.

Francis came in and did pretty well. Wagstaff worked hard and looked more dangerous as the game went on but in my opinion still looks to go to ground too easily.

Mambo and Doc looked solid enough without being threatened too much. Sullivan looked better in the games at the end of last season than he did today. Andersen also looked solid enough but couldn't really tell if he's worth a contract.

Up front we looked pretty toothless. Popo ran around a lot but most of what he did was chasing long balls over the top without much hope of getting on the end of them. Hayes looked slow and off the pace. Hopefully this can be put down to lack of football recently.

Alexis and Euell both look like they have something to offer but think we need something extra up top (and I personally don't care if he's 6 foot 8 or 5 foot 4).
  • Options
    Same group I ended up on the train with?
    Yep.
    They were being massive C*nts on the train
  • Options
    Mambo looked okay, looked naive on occasion with sloppy passes across our own box. Also could have maybe been sent off when he took someone down who was pretty much through on goal had it been a competitive match.
  • Options
    Can't recall a single misplaced pass from Mambo, never kicked it long. Class above Taylor.
  • Options
    they weren't misplaced, they were under hit. if we were playing against better strikers with more anticipation then they would have had a chance on goal.
  • Options

Can I just add that we are followed by some of the biggest w**kers on the face of the earth.

To the bllying pricks who thought it fun to have a pop at the young Woking fan standing at the back of the terrace, you are utter c**nts.

If anyone thinks I'm over reacting consider that this fan was female, around 10-11 years old and was quite clearly mentally handicapped. When I mentioned that they really were a clever bunch they funnily enough didn't have anything to say back.

Ross & his "ultra" mates?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    these idiots are not real charlton fans just hangers on from our premier league year probley clem!!
  • Options

Yes simplistic....and ?

scores his share of goals, what does that mean ? he's not very good so we don't expect him to score many but that's ok because that's his normal quota ?

Took him 100 games more to score the same number of goals as Abbott who has been slated over & over again on here, but anyone else isn't entitled to an opinion because he's a new signing I guess? 

Leave it out. No one said you couldn't have an opinion; some just offered an opposing one to yours.

Before last season he scored 8, 17 and 9 league goals and set up a lot more. He's won promotion from this division twice. Gary Hooper went from a 2 goal a season player with Southend and Orient to a 24 and 19 goal a season alongside Hayes
  • Options
    Bit surprised by the positive comments about Popo on the OS report - seemed to do a lot of running to very little effect. There was good service from the left with Andersen and Davisson, but Waggy and Francis (?!) hardly effective on the right. Good cameo by Euell.
  • Options
    Pretty dull performance all told. I'd agree that Hayes just doesn't look particularly interested which was frustrating. Doc and Mambo were strong but the lack of pace between them is apparent. Davisson's first touch is incredible, he only really received high cross field passes and he never let it get away from him. Not too many positives to come from the match but it was a good workout for what was mostly our second string
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Stephens was good, but a bit too clever for the rest of the team at times. Like Jensen, he often played through balls to no-one as the divs in front of him weren't expecting that ball. Francis had a good game, hope he stays. Euell was very lively and I think would be great if utilised the way we used him in his last season with us, ie bringing him on for the last 15 minutes as he varies play a lot and could catch tired legged opponents out as result - not sure if we can make the money work for such a role, but we could do with him.

Two complaints. (1) Woking don't let you drink booze in the stands/terraces. Most Blue Square South clubs I've been to do, so I'm guessing this is a Surrey Police (Woking are the biggest team in their jurisdiction) poxy rule. (2) Stayed behind after to boo the team, but they didn't do a lap of honour. Cowards.
  • Options
    I'd imagine Stephens will be first choice in CM alongside Hollands (at least until Alonso is ready). Looks like Stephens probably played yesterday because Bover went back to Spain for a wedding this weekend.

I think Tuesday we'll see a team even closer to Powell's first choice, which is probably the team v Aldershot with Stephens for Bover and Hayes for Benson.
  • Options
    Spiritof1947 - you are joking, right? Difficult to tell sometimes.
  • Options
    Think he/she was joking.. Difficult to tell- often the best jokes..

Be interested to know who this fake ultras crew are. What was stopping others putting them in their place? 

• Options
    Well I sincerely hope these so called Charlton fans go to the game next Saturday and try to give it the big one. Plenty of people of the blue persuasion would be more than happy to put them straight.
  • Options
    Can't remember if I mentioned it already but our ex trialist Sam Williams, lined up for Dagenham yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From what I've seen over the Aldershot and Woking games, the pattern of play has changed to "up, back and through" football mixed up with diagonal passes in behind from the CMs. An improvement on last season when it often took 2 or 3 passes before a positive forward pass was made, which allowed opponents to get organised behind the ball, particularly at the Valley.

On individuals, I wouldn't take much notice of yesterdays game against opposition 2 levels below Aldershot. Mambo & Doherty had nothing to deal with and Stephens had the luxury of time and space on the ball which he won't get in league matches. Hayes looked like an experieced pro playing against non-league opposition, never likely to move out of third gear or risk injury and he did enough for me ( first half volley well saved and a goal disallowed after rounding the keeper). However I'm struggling to see Hayes and BWP fitting together, they are very similar.

So far, Wiggins, Hollands, Green, Jackson & BWP look nailed-on, although Green is suspended for the Bournemouth game. The other places are all up for grabs.

Contrary to a number of views I thought the Central Defence did well at Aldershot and will be interested to see how they perform v Den Bosch.
    Mambo lacks mobility and Doherty retreats to the 18 yard line whenever he comes under pressure. Taylor and Morrison held the line well 15/20 yards outside the box. On the negative side, Morrison is a right footer on the left side, which will be a problem if he is isolated. Most of last seasons problems in CD came from Dailly & Doherty retreating quickly to the 18 yd line to compensate for a lack of pace on passes played in behind. Holding a tight line higher up the pitch closes down the space in front and puts pressure on the ball. We should be less open.

Some of the football at both games has been very good, into the front 2 to feet, who brought the CMs into the build-up and early passes out to the flanks where the FBs joined in quickly. The quality of Green's crosses has been a real asset.
  • Options
    Tutt, I agree with a lot of what you say but Taylor barely won a single header and Shots didn't rain in high balls as any L1 side having done homework will do. I don't fancy Doc either and can't agree that Yado lacks pace, only experience. Our 1st choice fullbacks are also vertically challenged. Add to this, upfront we have players who can nick a goal but nobody to have the oppo retreat to their 18 yard line. Worrying times,
  • Options
    look jason euell !!