Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley v Charlton XI/PSF/27 July 2011

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011

My summary of the night's action

I thought the Doc and Francis played well at the back and great run from Francis in the second half when he ran the full length of the pitch. Warren played well and always looking for the ball although I thought he gave the ball away a few times. Alonso started badly but got into the game and he looked very neat and tidy, when he lost the ball he had a continental style of getting the ball back, pulling shirts and shorts getting his body in the way but some lovely passing and movement. Pritchard had some good movement and he got himself in the box on many occasions to support the front two and looked good on the ball. Harriottt I thought did really well and we looked very good when he came on in the second half and I thought his goal was really well taken, I think this guy looks real class and I am expected great things from this guy following his good form end of last season. Euell took his goal well, was on to it in a flash, had some other great touches around the box and looked in great shape. Felt sorry for Tuna. It was only Bromley but a good win is a win

• Options
    Have to say I was against giving Euell a contract but having just seen pics of him in the red shirt again I've come over all sentimental. Sign him up.
  • Options

Francis really good runs - but a few characteristic mistakes.  Getting better though with each game - think we might be glad he seems to be staying.  Bover clever again but a little bit light weight.  Davisson & Warren both impressive in first half.  Harriott very aggressive on the ball and looks like he's bulked up a bit - "short and wide" - nice goal.  Alonso looks mean and moody - technically gifted but a few wayward sideways balls - appeared unfit and a bit disinterested - but got into the game as it went on.  Euell looked very fit and ran around a lot.  Honore ok but not great.

Enjoyable game - but then winning 4-0 tends to do that...

• Options

From the Bromley OS

Fitness was the telling factor at Hayes Lane as a young Charlton side ran away with victory.

Despite
    the visitors enjoying a good spell of possession, it was the home side
    who had the first chance when Hakeem Araba got up well to meet a Ugo
    Udoji cross, but his looped header went just over the crossbar, before
    Araba had appeals for a penalty turned down soon after. Marlon Patterson
    and Ryan Dolby combined well on the left hand side and the former's
    cross was palmed away by goalkeeper Conor Gough straight into the path
    of Orlando Smith, who could then only swing and completely miss the
    ball.

Defender Simon Francis then had to be alert for the home side when
    he cleared away close to his own goal line from a Smith cross. Forward
    Hakeem Araba then went close twice within a matter of minutes when
    first, a Udoji long throw into the box caused trouble for the visitors
    and Araba was well denied by Gough before Tutu Henriques saw a shot
    superbly saved by Gough and Araba somehow put the rebound over from
    close range.

Despite the home side enjoying the majority of the chances,
    it was the Addicks who opened the scoring when Jason Euell cleverly
    flicked the ball to Bradley Pritchard who broke quickly. Marlon
    Patterson then slid in on the midfielder and the ball came back to Euell
    who smartly placed the ball past goalkeeper Dean Santangelo. Bromley
    almost replied instantly, Ugo Udoji broke forward well before feeding
    Orlando Smith who made a superb run through on goal and tried to round
    Gough, but the goalkeeper was able to deny the winger. Midfielder Danny
    Waldren then went close when he rose highest to meet another long throw
    by Udoji, but goalkeeper Gough comfortably saved.

Simon Francis
    burst forward superbly at the start of the second half before crossing
    into the box where Tosan Popo headed the ball back to Freddie Warren,
    but the midfielder could only fire over with the goal gaping. The
    visitors then doubled their lead through substitute Tosan Popo who
    reacted quickest to a throw-in and was able to poke the ball past
    Santangelo. Freddie Warren and goalscorer Popo then combined superbly
    with a number of one-two's before the former's shot was well saved by
    Santangelo.

Tamer Tuna, looking to impress against the club that
    released him in the summer, went close soon after when he came forward
    at pace but his powerful effort was too close to goalkeeper Pope to
    trouble him before Ade Azeez went close with a header at the other end.
    It was 3-0 soon after when another substitute, Callum Harriott, fired
    home with a low left footed effort that beat Santangelo at his far post.
    It was four soon after as Harriott turned provider, with his corner
    finding youngster Ade Azeez who had a free header that he managed to
    power past Santangelo untroubled.

Harriott should have set up another
    goal when he disposessed Ugo Udoji close to his own goal and sprinted
    goal wards, and with Azeez free inside the box, Harriott blasted the
    ball across goal too far in front of his team mate as Charlton settled
    for a four-goal victory.

Bromley: Dean Santangelo, Ugo Udoji,
    Marlon Patterson (Nathan Green), Danny Waldren, Joe Dolan (Rob Gillman),
    Liam Harwood, Orlando Smith (Jake Britnell), Tutu Henriques, Gareth
    Williams (Danny Hockton), Hakeem Araba (Tamer Tuna), Ryan Dolby (Aaron
    Rhule).
    Subs not used: Paul Agu.

Charlton: Conor Gough (Nick
    Pope), Simon Francis, Cedric Evina (Morgan Fox), Bradley Pritchard
    (Mikel Alonso), Gary Doherty, Yado Mambo, Ruben Bover (Callum Harriott),
    Freddie Warren, Jason Euell (Ade Azeez), Alexis Honore (Tosan Popo),
    Ben Davisson (Semi Ajayi).

• Options
    So thats SEB
  • Options
    Did Honore play bad?
    I had high hopes for this lad , based on what others had said , but for me he didn't shine enough last night.
  • Options
    You just knew Euell was going to score , when he was in that position , classy and effortlessly , looks fit enough in my book , surely we can come to a deal with him , could be the Christian Dailly 'mentor' for this season , as well as a player in his own right.
  • Options

Lots of people are starting to say "why not sign-up Euell" and I was sceptical at first but he looked pretty good and very fit last night.  But surely it must be about money - he was in the premier league not so long back and Championship last year.  Surely he's got to be used to (at least) £7 - £10k per week.  I would have though best we could offer would be around £3k per week (all of these numbers are guess work) plus performance/appearence bonuses.  My guess is the best we could hope for would be a pay-as-you-play deal on the understanding that he can leave if another offer comes in?

• Options

A few observations from last night:

Alonso: Good to see him at last. Clearly likes to play a nice pass, if not to leap too high against burley opponents. VG vision and that ability to make space for himself and remain unflustered.

Honore: Keen and nice touch but perhaps a little too perfieral to make enough of an impact if we can manage Jason Euell, who impressed throughout. Popo brought that little bit more bite and fully earned his goal.

Davisson, Warren, & Bover all small but very tidy; Warren's turn to shine this time with real drive in the centre, where Pritchard also impressed again - great attitude, great engine, looks to get forward at the right times but will always track back too.

Francis excellent again - not sure what those "customary errors" were. If people are prepared to give him a break he might just keep Solly waiting a while yet.

Gough: Big agile and brave. Really like the look of him (based only on 45 mins).

Great to see the young forwards expressing themselves at the end; Azeez looked a handful and cushioned his header nicely. Harriot's got a real tenaciousness about him.

Had no idea Fox was from the academy. Just a short spelll but he did v well at LB and looked beyond his years.

OK, just Bromley but plenty of positives, not least the drive of some of the youngsters. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I disagree with comments on here RE Mambo, the Bromley no. 10 was a beast and if Doherty, Dailly, Llera or Fortune (last seasons centre backs for those who can't remember!) was marking him, I reckon he would have scored last night. Mambo likes to drop back and get the ball to his feet, and like Llera was last season, he becomes another viable option for a pass, instead of rolling it to a hoofer like Doherty.

Euell was excellent last night, he has great movement, and he actually started the move that led to his goal with a neat backheel. I would sign him up in a flash, he showed last night exactly how you should play that link up striker role. Also, he has the legs and the wise head on him to play centre mid if we really need him, though obviously he have many options here already.

All our youngsters looked good whern they came on, the final front 3 of Azeez, Popo and Harriott was very creative and there seems to be a deep understanding between them already.
  • Options
    Mambo was playing too close to the Bromley CF in the first half but the bench told him to drop off. From then on Mambo had no real problems.

That could mean he's useless or that he has a lot to learn still but has some potential that the Club are trying to realise.
  • Options

I wanted to get to this one but something cropped up that couldn't wait!

The joys of daughters!

• Options
    Paddy your right i thought Goughy looked really good , made a couple of good saves , and kept us in it when we were under the cosh , Nick Pope bless him (Nick shout more at your defense!) looked a bit nervous imo , but he's young , will learn, i think Ben Roberts will help him a lot.
  • Options
    I see that we have drawn Bromley in the Kent Cup - apparently we only agreed to enter of the cup ties where played away.
  • Options
    Phew! Glad Sam posted that - I also thought Mambo did quite well at Bromley and gradually seems to be growing in confidence. Don't think anyone expects another Alan Hansen but he has an obvious physical presence and could yet prove useful cover.