Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• Options
    @Riviera I think that Greenwich is lacking a decent restaurant at the moment...since the Spread Eagle closed (altho there is restaurant on the site now, just can't remember what it is called), the only 'independent; restaurant in the town centre has been that (which I've never eaten in, otherwise am sure I'd remember the name!) and the new Buenos Aires cafe, otherwise it's all chains... If you like noodles/sushi/Japanese 'fusion' food, then I really do recommend Ziabatsu at the bottom of Maze Hill, next to Hardys pub...more of a cafe, bring your own, cash only and only about 6 tables but it is bloody excellent...check out the trip advisor reviews...was top rated restuarant in London for a while (seriously)... Lots of pubs in Greenwich do 'ok' food but none of them outstanding...
  • Options
    A few notables from recent visits...

For those of you that like trying something a bit further afield:

El Matador in Sevenoaks. Bloody good Chateaubriand. Quality is on a par with the likes of Hawksmoor or Boisdale but at a fraction of the cost. Love how it comes up on the volcanic stone to the table and you cook it how you want it. That style is popular all over now.

The Grumpy Mole in Brockham, a little village not too far from Box Hill. Very good food and decent value too.

If you're after a pub for a Sunday Roast, I can recommend the Hare at Tunbridge Wells.

One I wasnt impressed with was the Big Easy at Covent Garden. I know its a large chain but the food was average at best but the service was appalling.

Will review Heston B's 'Fat Duck' when I go in just over 2 weeks (after the VLM)!
  • Options
    M. Threadneedle street for a nice lunch, they have both M.Grill and M. Raw and never disappointed whenever I've been in there.

I went to zebrano in the city about a month ago and the food was amazing would highly recommend.

• Options
    I replied to Hendersons snow photo on Twitter he took in Chislehurst a couple of months back, and happened to mention Due Amici was my favourite restaurant locally, Charlton shirt on the wall etc, which he favourited, Couple of weeks later he takes Watt and a few others for his last supper in there.
  • Options
    went duck and waffle yesterday very nice the cocktails are there main feature had ones that tasted of burnt toast which was strange for eats i had the house breakfast which was nice, had a main each, a dessert and 2 cocktails, worked out at 60 pp. which isnt bad as the view is amazing up there, think you can just go up to the bar for a drink.
  • Options
    Le Pont de la Tour by Tower Bridge ...it's a bit pricey but the food and service are superb.
  • Options
    Went to the Coach House at Ruxley Garden Centre last week.

Haven't been for a while, as go Due Amici usually, but good to see the Charlton pennant and photo of Kinsella still on the wall.

Best cooking I've had for ages, lovely lovely steak....(am now hungry)
  • Options
    I-Naga, Coney Hall. Went at the weekend for a curry. Superb.
  • Options

I-Naga, Coney Hall. Went at the weekend for a curry. Superb.

Can vouch for that... One of the best curries I've ever had
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Le Pont de la Tour by Tower Bridge ...it's a bit pricey but the food and service are superb.

+1 for here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Assos. Crayford. Great mixed grill. Fabulous rice.
  • Options
    Went back to blue Nile in woolwich recently, still lives up to the great reviews.

Another shout is Hotbox in Spitalfields, proper burgers & ribs.

Lucianos in Lee is one of the better Italian restaurants in all of London, that and il Bordello in wapping also.
    Both head and shoulders above most others.
    Authentic and fresh food.

Hungry now.
  • Options
    Some brilliant restaurants in Peckham now, ForzaWin (Italian supper club) and Miss Tapas (Spanish) probably the pick.
  • Options
    Murano in London. Superb food and attentive service. Wine menu rather pricy.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

El Matador in Sevenoaks. Bloody good Chateaubriand. Quality is on a par with the likes of Hawksmoor or Boisdale but at a fraction of the cost. Love how it comes up on the volcanic stone to the table and you cook it how you want it. That style is popular all over now.

The Grumpy Mole in Brockham, a little village not too far from Box Hill. Very good food and decent value too.

If you're after a pub for a Sunday Roast, I can recommend the Hare at Tunbridge Wells.

One I wasnt impressed with was the Big Easy at Covent Garden. I know its a large chain but the food was average at best but the service was appalling.

Will review Heston B's 'Fat Duck' when I go in just over 2 weeks (after the VLM)!

EDIT: the Big Easy was at Canary Wharf, not bloody Covent Garden.

Ah. The Fat Duck. Now that really was an experience. More theatre than anything else though.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

EDIT: the Big Easy was at Canary Wharf, not bloody Covent Garden.

Ah. The Fat Duck. Now that really was an experience. More theatre than anything else though.
    Bang on re Big Easy at CW.

It is shit......one to avoid.

Food is average at best and takes ages to get service.

The bar looks good on the face of it with some decent beer......unfortunately the ones I like the look of always seem to have run out.
  • Options
    Are there any restaurants out there that sell pints rather than bottles.
    And ones where the drinks are reasonably priced .
    Beckenham bromley area.
    When in lagunas in Beckenham Saturday nearly £8 not even a pint
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    clb74 said:

Beckenham bromley area.

Restaurant side in La Rasscasse.... Food is great and cheap pints
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    CAFCsayer said:

clb74 said:

Beckenham bromley area.

+1 for La Rascasse. Been there several times with the wife and its her favourite local restaurant by a mile. Just bear in mind if you go Fri/Sat night, the bar next door is bloody loud!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Very nice place. My wife won a 7 course meal there for us a few years ago at the chefs table. Angela Hartnett cooked it and gave us a quick lesson in the kitchen. Each course had its own recommended wine, which they didn't skimp on. Got absolutely battered and worked out we each drank well over £250 in wine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

Very nice place. My wife won a 7 course meal there for us a few years ago at the chefs table. Angela Hartnett cooked it and gave us a quick lesson in the kitchen. Each course had its own recommended wine, which they didn't skimp on. Got absolutely battered and worked out we each drank well over £250 in wine.
    Must admit I drank rather more than I intended to, it's a terrific place.
  • Options
    F@ck me in shish and co £10 for chicken shish and chips
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

CAFCsayer said:

clb74 said:

Beckenham bromley area.

+1 for La Rascasse. Been there several times with the wife and its her favourite local restaurant by a mile. Just bear in mind if you go Fri/Sat night, the bar next door is bloody loud!
    And another for La Rascasse. Great food, although I prefer Pierluigi's opposite.
  • Options
    + 1 as well for Rascasse.

Coppers is decent too 2 minutes up the road (no pints though).
  • Options
    Any recommendations for walk ins in Canary Wharf? Going over there tonight
  • Options
    Any recommendations for Oxford street, regent street,Tottenham court road.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Loads of good places in Soho. Kiln, Temper, hoppers are all meant to be superb.
  • Options

Any recommendations for walk ins in Canary Wharf? Going over there tonight

Smollenskys, Wahaca, Roka (unlikely but worth a try), Plateau.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Hakkasan a short walk from there and probably the best meal I've had
  • Options
    Badger said:

Picture restaurant in Fitzrovia (3-5 min walk from Oxford Street) is amazing. 6 course tasting menu is really nice and good vfm.