Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• Options
    I usually add about 10% but vary it up or down depending on service and food. I hate it when it's already added to the bill. 
    I used to work with a bloke with tipped when he was likely to go back to a place. Then he might tip 30% or even more so he was remembered by the staff. If he wasn't going back, he didn't tip.
  • Options
    Any recommendations for walk ins in Canary Wharf? Going over there tonight
    Smollenskys, Wahaca, Roka (unlikely but worth a try), Plateau.
    I know I'm commenting on a post from 7 years ago, but we realised Plateau has now closed when we was up at CW just after Christmas for a lunch date.  I used to love it in there.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Back in Charlton for the first time in years on Friday and really, really looking for a banging curry. Any recommendations?
    Shampan in Falconwood or Mogul in Sidcup.
    The Moghul isn't what is once was.

We went in there a few weeks ago and I'd booked a table for 5 some time in advance. We were crammed into a table for 4, with barley enough room to put drinks down. Started serving the mains as they were taking the starters away and the whole meal was rushed. The be fair, my food was very good but a couple with us weren't that impressed with theirs.

Also heard from more than a couple of people we know that they weren't that impressed with the food or service. 
    That’s a real shame as when I went about a year ago I thought the food was banging.

I go Jasmine in Bexleyheath now, really nice people and food is quality.
  • Options
    If a service charge is added then I don't tip.

Cannot remember going to a restaurant where they don't add a service charge tbf
  • Options
    For for the advise, how many of these will deliver to Charlton? After a 20 hour journey, I’m not sure I’ll be going out xD 
  • Options
    Back in Charlton for the first time in years on Friday and really, really looking for a banging curry. Any recommendations?
    Shampan in Falconwood or Mogul in Sidcup.
    Fully agree with Shampan - amazing food
  • Options
    Have any of you eaten in Kesar in Charlton?
  • Options
    Why has this thread been updated? Mickey Apples spotted at the Charlton McDonalds holding his P45?
  • Options
    Hayat and El Iberico, both at the Oval, Blackfen are excellent.

• Options
    Saka Maka in Hither Green won South London Restaurant of the Year. I've had their takeaway a few times, and I can't figure out how they managed that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I'm in central London I never tip. Food is far too expensive uptown, so they can poke it, tip wise.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Depending on your budget, Shampan at Chatterton Road, Bromley (we went a couple of weeks ago for a family birthday and it was really good), Pink Garlic on the same road...
    but if you want something a little bit better than your average... Cinnamon Culture (formerly of Sundridge Park but now in Chislehurst) or Indian Essence (Atul Kocchar's restaurant) in Petts Wood (he owns Benares at Berkeley Square in London).
    Funny enough i was in Indian Essence last night. 3rd time in about 6 months.

Its the nuts , never had a bad meal, service spot on. 

Last nights fish thing i had was out of this world.  
  • Options
    edited January 23
    The New Viceroy in Charlton is pretty decent.

0208 319 - 3439 to book a table, probably can probably book online, can take your own booze in their, which you can buy at the Coop opposite.

https://newviceroyonline.com/order-now?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=GMB_ORDER_NOW&utm_content=22-Jun-22
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Why has this thread been updated? Mickey Apples spotted at the Charlton McDonalds holding his P45?
    Hope he meets Bowyer in there.
  • Options
    For for the advice, how many of these will deliver to Charlton? After a 20 hour journey, I’m not sure I’ll be going out xD 
    Why not have  a good Chinese takeaway instead? 🤭
  • Options
    For for the advise, how many of these will deliver to Charlton? After a 20 hour journey, I’m not sure I’ll be going out xD 
    Shampan will deliver to Charlton 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Depending on your budget, Shampan at Chatterton Road, Bromley (we went a couple of weeks ago for a family birthday and it was really good), Pink Garlic on the same road...
    but if you want something a little bit better than your average... Cinnamon Culture (formerly of Sundridge Park but now in Chislehurst) or Indian Essence (Atul Kocchar's restaurant) in Petts Wood (he owns Benares at Berkeley Square in London).
    Funny enough i was in Indian Essence last night. 3rd time in about 6 months.

Its the nuts , never had a bad meal, service spot on. 

Last nights fish thing i had was out of this world.  
    Indian Essence is peerless in the realm in my opinion. 

Very very good. Mondays and Thursdays with Gordon playing the guitar are even better!
  • Options
    Just seen that Atul Kocchar is opening Essence at the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells for those that live that way.
    https://essencerestaurants.co.uk/
  • Options
    Sadly The Hengist in Aylesford is no more

apparently the owner is/was an Addick.  Still got a few others in his group but The Hengist is now closed

shame as it was bloody lovely in there 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to the Oxo Tower last October. 6 course tasting menu with wine. Was expensive but would say one of the best meals I've ever had. Well worth it.

The Tilbury, Datchworth in Herts. Also was excellent if anyone is ever over that way.

Blacklock in the Wharf was very good too
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Tried Luciano's in Lee the other day. Decent, but not as good as Carola up the road. Also more expensive.

Got a table booked at St Johns later in the month. Bit of a Fergus Henderson fanatic so looking forward to that. 

Jay Rayner has just given Sharkbait & Swim in Deptford a very good review, have been meaning to try. He also reviewed Everest Curry King in Lewisham recently. I must say, Jay Rayner in Lewisham must have been a sight.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    Went to the Oxo Tower last October. 6 course tasting menu with wine. Was expensive but would say one of the best meals I've ever had. Well worth it.

The Tilbury, Datchworth in Herts. Also was excellent if anyone is ever over that way.

Blacklock in the Wharf was very good too
    I've been meaning to take my wife up there for a while. Never got round to it.
  • Options
    Copper & Ink in Blackheath (former Masterchef winner Tony's restaurant!) has now also closed as of recently.

Sad about that, really liked it in there.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Copper & Ink in Blackheath (former Masterchef winner Tony's restaurant!) has now also closed as of recently.

Yup, great restaurant and terrific people. Thankfully went there again in late December. 

Tony has had to sell his house as well because of the cost. Awful for him.  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

apparently the owner is/was an Addick.  Still got a few others in his group but The Hengist is now closed

That is a shame, I saw it was up for sale. Always decent food and drink there. Indidnt realise the owner was one of us 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Swisdom said:

That is a shame, I saw it was up for sale. Always decent food and drink there. Indidnt realise the owner was one of us 
    I bumped into Keith Peacock in Aylesford a year or two back and he mentioned he'd had lunch in The Hengist and recommended it.

Sadly I never got there.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Yup, great restaurant and terrific people. Thankfully went there again in late December. 

Tony has had to sell his house as well because of the cost. Awful for him.  
    I’m always amazed that people put money into restaurants. 

Seems to me that those that make decent returns are few and far between. 

I understand however why chefs want to do what they do but turning a profit is much harder. 
  • Options
    I highly recommend my friends restaurant, had a meal there last year. Did not disappoint. 

The Old Bank Westerham (oldbank-westerham.co.uk)
  • Options
    Sadly, there was a fire at Uskudar in Petts Wood last night.
    Looks like it'll be out of action for a while.