Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chesterfield Post Match Views

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
After a good win in front of the masses, all in here please.

Comments

• Options
    Really looking forward to the match reports from the happy lifers back from the Valley...it sounds like it was a great day.

Hopefully, all the extra people that came along experienced a completely different atmosphere to last time, with optimism and positivity now firmly rooted in SE7....it would be great if some of them decide to come down more often to enjoy what is shaping up to be an exciting season for us.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    Great win. Created a lot of chances. On another day we would have gone in at half time 3 or 4 up but pleased with the solid performance. 
  • Options
    Great win - up the addicks
  • Options
    Very enjoyable. 1st half we played the best stuff ive seen in ages. North stand was rocking. Second half not as slick but all in all a quality day and great win
  • Options
    a good game. ref and lino were poor. we battled through second half.
  • Options
    Great win. Should have killed it off in first 45 - Hayes should have had a hat trick. Ridiculous officiating in the second half though. Luckily it didn't matter but it could have been different and it's not fair that Hamer was denied a deserved clean sheet. I'm sure it was a foul on Waggy but even if he's not gonna give it, CF have to kick it out. Fair play to the players for even carrying on. Massive relief after BWP's sealer though. Bring on MK
  • Options
    Played brillant just one thing but thay switch off four them first ten mins but then again it was expected thay would come at us .the crowd was exerlant .
  • Options
    Lib far too busy and silly queues for a beer.

No soap in one of the north upper toilets. One of the driers and two of the taps didn't work.

Far too busy on concourse at ht and couldnt get a beer.

Drummers haven't a clue at what speed they're supposed to whack the thing at so end up diluting what atmosphere there is. Red Army is now darmy and getting shorter.

Played alright I suppose
  • Options

Great win and we easily deserved it. Ref was pretty poor and penalty that wasn't given was a shocker.

Whatever happened in the South Stand was a shambles and had i been sitting in there I would have been f*cking seething. Will be interested to hear what clubs response to all those who missed the second goal today.

• Options

For the first 10 minutes I thought here we go again, another operation cock-up. They looked sharper and were well up for it. We thankfully realised quite quickly that they were defensively poor and their keeper was a flapper. Went on to dominate the first half and could have been 3-4 up at half time.

Then it becomes a concern. What is being said at half-time?. We visably dropped deeper as a team, midfield invited pressure. This isn't the first time this has happened this season.

Hayes only seems to be able to play for 45mins as I thought he was again poor in the second 45mins.

One of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen to book Taylor. I don't think you could get a more nailed on penalty.

Plus for me. Nice to see a player come off the bench and have an impact. Yann looks big, mobile and has a nice touch. Lovely pass to split the defence in the build up to the third goal. Won plenty of headers as well. On that cameo, once he is up to full fitness he is going to be pressing Hayes for a starting place very very soon.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

No soap in one of the north upper toilets. One of the driers and two of the taps didn't work.

Drummers haven't a clue at what speed they're supposed to whack the thing at so end up diluting what atmosphere there is. Red Army is now darmy and getting shorter.

Played alright I suppose

this ;)
  • Options

Played alright I suppose
    Pass me that season ticket application form!
  • Options

Played alright I suppose

Looking at how miserable you looked walking to your seat and how slow you were moving, I'm not so sure this is tongue in cheek!
  • Options
    Great 1st half, Jackson firing on all cylinders and BWP showing why he is a league apart. Not sure what happened 2nd half. That said, another win COYR
  • Options
    good win, backed off to much early in the 2nd half. 1st half chesterfield were very poor making us look good. shite ref, bottled it twice with certain pens. like the look of the new striker, much better 1st touch than hayes.
  • Options
    First 5 minutes we were very shaky but for the next 40 we completely dominated and should have been further ahead. Second half they came at us as was expected but we really didn't respond. I was getting incredibly nervous when they made it 2-1 but the lads pulled through once again and we are now in a fantastic position. Come on you reds.
  • Options
    Ha, they're getting steeper :-)
  • Options
    That last goal was absolute class
  • Options
    I thought it was waggy that got booked for the pen that wasn't given
  • Options
    I thought it was waggy that got booked for the pen that wasn't given

You thought wrong then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought we were on top all game.

There 4-3-3 left jackson acres of room and he used it well.

They tightened up 2nd part of 1st hald but we still looked like scoring every time we attacked.  The passing and the space the runners made was the best since P'boro away.

Even when they came at us start of 2nd they created few real chances.

Clear pen but if Wagstaff isn't on the floor from a foul n he's back covering and Morrison doesn't have to dive in.

Our pen looked a clear foul from the East.  Didn't see a single CFC player complain about a dive.  one for the video.

Waggy did what people say he can't do (ha ha) which is cross the ball for the third but JJ MOTM for me.  Hayes scores, is running the game and then misses a one on one.  Still class and a deserved standing ovation when he went off. Kermit looked good in his short spell.  All round very good individual and team performance and three points.

• Options
    We had 25 shots in the game. That's dominance for you.
  • Options
    Still annoyed me the amount of people who shouted abuse at Hayes when he had the odd poor touch. 3 goals and 5 I think assists so far, and the fact he could have had 3 shows at least he is getting in the positions, Benson rarely even seemed to get a good chance. Kermogant also with a very impressive cameo.
  • Options
    With such a history of stabbing ourselves in our own foot, the biggest surprise today is basically, everything went to plan.

In summary, the cheap tickets boosted the attendance, the sun turned out, and on cue, so did the team. Crackng first half played on the front foot, great work from BWP for the first goal and a real top drawer clever free kick for the 2nd. We were battering them and if they had come off at HT five down they honestly couldn't have complained.

2nd half a different story. They had obviously had the mother of all rollicking's, we all of a sudden had become lacklustre. Their penalty looked like providing the frustrating finish we have seen soooo many times over the last few years, especially when the ref (diabolically from where i was sat) didn't give us what looked a stonewall pen and booked Taylor. If League One centre halves are now diving in the opposition box then we have serious problems creeping into the game.

And then just when you thought what should have been an impressive and comfortable win was going to be anything just, a final goal in stoppage time was a proper team goal that oozed class and sealed the victory with a nice classy bow. Good work from Kermit played in Waggy, who for once got his delivery spot on to leave BWP a headed goal everyone knew was a goal 10 yards before he headed it.

All in, a day with plenty of positives, but the real tests are still to come over the next week.
  • Options
    Excelent first half, great movement, imaginative passing, quick feet. Best half I've seen from Charlton this season. Should have been 4 up by half time. Hayes is an interesting player - at times he looks brilliant with great vision putting through BWP but seems to freeze a bit when he has time. First tough seems very poor.

Second half was weak. Seemed to be second to the ball all the time and nothing was working out. heir goal galvanised us though and we started to attack again. Liked the look of Yann. Think he may challenge Hayes.

Thought our set plays have improved a lot.
  • Options
    We had 25 shots in the game. That's dominance for you.
    14 on target so their goalkeeper had to earn his money...
  • Options

thought we played well today, our best attacks came down the left, wiggins and jj combining well. Chesterfield looked decent going forward but very poor at the back, we could have scored many more. On the pens from where i was sitting waggy was fouled in the build up to theirs and taylor was fouled for ours so the ref got both wrong but he was still better than average for this division.  

• Options
    We could actually lose the next 2 and still be top, that is an amazing fact....
  • Options
    hayes is a clever player. he often has the first touch of zidane then a the first touch of martin pringle...confusing.

all that said, he works and has been important to our start.
  • Options
    I thought it was Waggy too!