Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chesterfield Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I will say more when soberer (yes I know that isn't a word) tomorrow, but I will just say that we looked on another planet to Chesterfield today.

Chris Solly is looking like the best right back in the league.
  • Options
    Kap10 September 24 Quote
    First half was best I have seen for a long time, although did not think BWP was at his best and his 1st touch let him down.  From about 12th to 15th minute CFC could not get out of their own penalty area let alone half.  As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Hayes plays a brilliant 1st touch and then an awful one.

I agree BWP was poor today I've never seen him give the ball away so much! I suppose I can forgive him for being the best striker in the division and still getting his goal.

I also think that Solly is fast becoming my favourite player, he is hard as nails that lad

Really enjoyed the day and hope we can get a couple of results in the coming week. Also good to be able to give some Millwall fans and Palace some slipper, could we replace Millwall next year lol
  • Options
    And was it me or was there NO Adamms family song?!!! :-D
  • Options
    The best thing for me was the positivity among the crowd. Like the weight of all the previous seasons being lifted, North Lower singing, sides joining in. Players to get behind who seem to care, and play as a team, that you actually are getting familiar with now and starting to believe in. More connection between players and fans somehow. Rather than the poisonus atmosphere from last few seasons. Of course we will hit a dry spell at some stage, just hope there's more patience. Yeah some of Hayes's touches were poor, and the reaction OTT, but yet again, he played some fantastic balls, and again linked well with BWP. Glad he scored at home. Solly was absolutely brilliant, Whiggins great (esp going forward), Jackson was up for it the whole game (unlike when we went to sleep at the start of the second half), and Kermoghant looked like he could be a find. Really enjoyed it. And the scum (Millwall) lost too!!!
  • Options
    It was a useful game though - Powell observed afterwards about what happens when we sit back which also shows it isn't a tactical plan, and I don't think a better example could be found to illustrate this to the lads. Usually lessons have to be learned the hard way but apart from dropping 2 points against Scunthorpe and Sheff Wed, we are learning them and still winning (the easy way). The football and off the ball running of the team is well above this league and I do believe we will get better. This team is so full of potential that it could be a blessing we didn't go up last year - the development they are getting in this tough league will help them be more competetive next season in an even tougher one.

Chesterfield were a decent League One side I thought- good movement up top and liked Mendy a lot - a player I will be keeping an eye on to see how he progresses - but we killed them for 65 minutes of the game and the overall stats show how much we were on top.
  • Options
    Good win. Played well first half and created some good chances, another day we'd have got 3 or 4. Second half Chesterfield improved, could say we should have played better but in the end they didn't create a great deal. It's not often you can completely dominate a game for the entire 90 minutes

Someone few rows behind me didn't sound happy with BWP but I thought he actually played quite well in the first half. Won a few headers, worked hard and his touch was usually good. Did very well to set up Hayes for a great chance, unfortunately his touch let him down. 

Wagstaff isn't going to swing loads of crosses in but if we create chances like the one for BWPs goal, where he gets in behind a defence he can put a decent ball in.

Hollands, Solly, Taylor and Morrison generally solid as they have been. Jackson had a good game. Wiggins looked comfortable running with the ball, nice to have that in a full back, perhaps playing with a bit more confidence now. Not that I've had a problem with him but there had been some talk on here about Evina replacing him.

Early to judge Kermorgant but looks like what we needed, a proper alternative to Hayes (which just isn't Euell for me). Looks like he'll win more in the air than Hayes but also has a bit of quality on the ball, he's clearly not a big lump type of player. Looks similar to Hayes in that if he gets a run of games he'll be involved in setting up chances and get a few assists. Hopefully he'll get a start in the JPT game.

Was you sitting in the east stand, block c by any chance?
  • Options

Hard to make too many judgements as this is the first game I have seen in nearly a year (other the then odd televised game which doesn't really count).

I was very impressed. After a lively start from the visitors we took control for the whole of the first half. The work done by stephens and hollands in midfield giving the rest of the team time to play, and play they did. Lots of movement off the ball, lots of simple passing until the space was created. Essentially showing how, when it is done well, straightforward a game football is. Agree with others that if we had gone in 3-4 goals up the visitors could not feel hard done by.

Second half chesterfield tweaked things a bit. Looked to me like they dropped Mendy back a little allowing him to put a bit more pressure on our central midfield. For all the good work the midfield did they appeared to struggle with what to do with the ball when facing our goal. This slowed our play down a fair bit reducing our chances. that said for all their huffing and puffing chesterfield did not create all that much.

My instinct was that their shout for handball was a penalty but that is counteracted by our shout late on which looked equally as nailed on.

Overal we showed that this side is light years ahead of last years in both outlook on how to play the game, and ability to put that into practise. I will be back when shifts and cash allows during the rest of the season.

• Options
    Saw their pen appeal on Football League Show, ball hit hand, he was looking the other way, not many refs would have given that, if chesterfield manager gets that wound up about an injustice he is going to spend a lot of time in the stands. FLS didn't show our nailed on pen appeal nor the foul on waggy in the build up to their pen, strangely  
  • Options

So we have now scored the most goals i believe and no one has conceded less goals than us,

not only are we playing tighter but we are scoring enough goals as well considering some were worried about where the goals are going to come from this has to go down as a great start

cant believe the shite airtime we get on bbc does anyone know if the regional show that was midweek is coming back

• Options
    Great game yesterday, good atmosphere.
    I cant really add more to whats already been posted. I have never seen a more nailed on penalty than ours, and to book Taylor, well that was ridiculous.
    Was sitting next to a non Charlton friend, he commented on how awful the officials were. When I pointed out that at this level the majority of officials are just as bad he said that there is no reason for them to be that bad.
    More importantly I am well chuffed for the club, a great marketing campaign and I hope we get some of the extra fans back on a regular basis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    44 mins in - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015cvr4/The_Football_League_Show_2011_2012_24_09_2011/

Our 3rd goal looks better on the box than it did live for me!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    What a day!! Met up with a couple of Lifers in the Lib before hand.....and thanks to @tangoflash I had a ticket......in the Upper North (first time I've been behind the goal since the Flanagan and Killer days!!), what an atmosphere, even joined in the singing etc etc......got there in time to see and hear the addicks fan opera singer......Jerusalem was excellent and VFR was just.....incredible!!
    Loved the banter that went on around me......gonna have to get a ticket for up there again!!
    The match was enjoyable....passed it around in the first half and Chesterfield were chasing the game....richly deserved 2 goal lead......2nd half, for the first 20 mins we did very little and seemed to invite them to attack us.....a goal for them was always coming and when they got the pen it finally sparked us into life.....the new lad 'kermit' made a difference when he came on and showed he has the touch to be a good man upfront......3rd goal was sublime.....left the ground really on cloud nine.....great day out.
    However the journey home was a mare.....4 1/2 hours to get back to Leicestershire.....unbelieveable!!
    Thanks again to all who made me welcome......see you either christmas or last game of season.
  • Options
    We were clearly the better side, played some sublime football and created lots of chances.  We did sit back in the second half which allowed them to get back into the game.   That said I don't think the result was ever in doubt.   Let's hope that some of those coming along/back for the first time today feel it'd be worth paying out for tickets at regular prices.

Very pleased that Hayes scored.  He does some great work for the team, but there's always a worry that without scoring he could be under appreciated.  Thought BWP played excellently, very unselfish making that pass to Hayes when he could have scored himself.  Loved the chip from Stephens, what a pity it hit the bar.  Super last goal - that was unstoppable.

---------------------------

Some selected quotes from Mr Powell:

“I want us to be more ruthless and clinical... we need to just kill teams off”
    “we should have got a penalty – I've seen it again”
    “A fantastic and well worked team goal right at the end, you always want BWP at the end of it”
    “We always want to get 3 points each and every game and we've done that today; in front of a bumper crowd so a good day all round”
    “I've got an affinity with the people here”
    “This year I had to change the atmosphere of the place. I've done that through the signings but also we've worked hard on the training field and we're still going to work hard because we're not the finished article article by a long way. What I like about the players is they do create, they do push themselves to get better. I do push them each and every day and even after the game today I said 'I want more than that' I wasn't happy, you know, I had a bit of go at them but its because I want the way of thinking changed here”.

To be honest during the second half I was convinced the team had come out playing to orders of retaining and trying to slow the play.  Which is a big mistake at the start of a half, you have to play at your tempo and win the right.  Having heard CP's after match comments they certainly 'were not' instructed to play that style second half and he was not happy we took our foot off the pedal. Further mentioning having done this against Scunthorpe & Rochdale.  It's reasuring to know he wants more form them and knows we are still work in progress. 

Never the less another good win, 3rd goal class move and finish. 

In my opinion Waggy was not fouled when he lost the ball for their resultant penalty.  There claim for a penalty looked right to me.  Our penalty claim was a cert.  Referee's just don't get it, as has been mentioned a big lump CH having the nous or agility to dive, NO.      
  • Options
    I think one or two people are underestimating how important the Hayes/BWP partnership is to the way Powell wants us to play. I'm not too worried if Hayes misses a few chances as he's already showed he can score a few too (nearly 30 years of watching Charlton and I think that's the first back heeled goal I've seen us score...can somebody recall another?). Their partnership is going to cause some major problems for our opponents in the same way that Hunt/Mendonca caused mayhem in the first half of our Championship winning season. The team will change over the course of a season but partnerships such as Hayes/BWP, Morrison/Taylor, Wiggins/Jackson, Stephens/Hollands etc will grow because they are only in their infancy at the moment. I'm impressed with the depth of the squad (I just hope we can afford all of their wages) and we have plenty of players who can slot straight in when the time comes. There will be challenges ahead...our next two games will be a major test but this squad looks like it should last the distance and keep us in the hunt for a long while yet.

For large parts, yesterday was a great game to watch. Despite the penalty controversies, the ref allowed things to flow (the Hayes bar hitting being an example) and the players were there to play football rather than kick each other. The thing that impressed me most was the technique of the players....we now have a team of players who control a ball and pass.

PS: Maybe Evina needed to be sub instead of Euell as we didn't appear to have any left-sided cover yesterday. Jackson was walking a tightrope after his booking and probably needed to be subbed (with MK Dons coming up on Tue night...) and an explosion of Evina's pace wouldn't have gone amiss. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Just seen the goals on tv. Hayes flick was top draw but that 3rd goal was different class. When watching it in real time I thought Kermit had a lot more time and space to pick out waggy but his pass was class. Quality worked goal
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Was you sitting in the east stand, block c by any chance?
    No, West Upper.

I think one or two people are underestimating how important the Hayes/BWP partnership is to the way Powell wants us to play. I'm not too worried if Hayes misses a few chances as he's already showed he can score a few too (nearly 30 years of watching Charlton and I think that's the first back heeled goal I've seen us score...can somebody recall another?).
    Anyinsah scored a similar goal last season. Was a TV game, Luton in the FA Cup I think.

Agree the partnership is important and that Evina could be a useful sub.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

*wrong thread

• Options
    First half impressive, really played fluid fast attacking football, could and probably should have been out of sight by half time.  Second half we looked like the job was done, until they scored and then we started to play more.  Taylor looked a tad badly treated over the penalty incident, definite contact from my view point. Also great effort from Hayes
  • Options
    edited September 2011

comfortable routine victory where we sat off and invited them on for a bit and then a little worry when they scored

wiggins was very impressive and solly is coming on in leaps and bounds with every performance he is more than good enough, now we don't need to keep waggy in for his defensive work , i hope green can get fit cos despite the assist from waggy yesterday was a poor performance by him imo ... he must have fallen over 5 times without a foul being given a real nothing performance

hayes is infuriating but good enough for a promotion push from this pub league

and kermo looked good in his cameo

the next two performances will tell us a bit more

we're well set now

30% autos and we're guaranteed a minimum of the play offs imo

• Options
    Just reading some of the comments on here only confirms to me that we really do have some miserable fans.

Absolutely nothing to moan about at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just reading some of the comments on here only confirms to me that we really do have some miserable fans.

I think that some cannot enjoy the good times because the last few years have left them sure everything is about to go tits up
  • Options
    And that Football League show footage is an absolute joke. The only non-goal footage they show is the Chesterfield non-penalty (it wasn't) and the hoo-ha over who was taking the penalty. Nothing about us other than the goals, which they kind of have to show. W**kers.
  • Options

I think that some cannot enjoy the good times because the last few years have left them sure everything is about to go tits up
    You may have a point, but moaning about things like the price of the pies is just some imbecile moaning for the sake of it. You know who you are.
  • Options
    a  decent performance rounded off by a brilliant 3rd goal. Didnt think Chesterfield were that bad going forward, but they were shockin at the back. thought everybody played fairly well...no stand out performances, although i thougt morrison was probably MOM...just has this nack of bein in the right place at the right time...against 2 decent center forwards. obviously gave away the pen but taylor was completely the wrong side of his man leading up to it. but not to concentrate on the negatives as the positives greatly outweighed them overall.
  • Options
    Taylor made one mistake today which Morrison is getting blamed for. The penalty. Taylor was caught the wrong side of the man and the man escaped him which meant that Morrison had to make the tackle. It was the only mistake that he made but everything else was perfect. 

I haven't been this happy to be a Charlton fan in some time.

My MOM was Wiggins/Jackson. I thought Hayes was superb as well.
  • Options
    just seen the highlights.. if you are going to be pedantic they're penalty SHOULD have been taken again. Just before their player goes to strike their pen, one of their players is already inside the box. So that peanlty should have been retaken. As for the decision on their first pen.. I have seen those given but absolutetly appallin decision not to give our one as a penalty and the insult to book our player as well to rub salt in the wounds.... As someone said on here.. It lis not as though our player looked up and saw an opportunity to "con the ref"..... The officials at this level are very very poor. How can the lino give a trow the other way when Wahhy make excellent ground to retrieve the ball and kept it clearly in playe is beyond me. The ONLY credit i would give the ref is on the THIRD handball (where was the booking for delibarate handball) he actually played advantage when we hit the crossbar. But then again, even if Wright Phillips had scored from the rebound he prob would have disallowed that as if you in a red shirt... scoring from a boot is not allowed (as he pulled him up for a handball where he cleared had chested the ball.
  • Options
    So delighted I whacked the Mastercard out first thing this morning and made a donation to East Midlands Trains for next week!

Not much else needs to be said!

MOTM Solly or Wiggins

Great cameo from Kermorgant.
  • Options

You may have a point, but moaning about things like the price of the pies is just some imbecile moaning for the sake of it. You know who you are.

Says the man moaning about the moaning, moaning about the Football League show etc.
  • Options
    Still disappointed with our bench, although it wasn't required yesterday.

Only one of Hughes or Cort needs to be on there, Hughes being my choice due to his versatility. Kermongat gives us the target man option to replace Hayes more than Euell does. Green when fit gives us an attacking option, with Waggy the fast paced frontman to play up front if we need to change it around up top. The other place, bar Sullivan, would go to Evina for me. Another attacking option on the left wing, allowing Jackson to move inside, and he gives us a defensive option too.

Shame Evina himself, Bover or Alonso didn't get a place yesterday with Pritchard injured.
  • Options

Just a few quickies before reading the thread...

Taylor's booking looked harsh and looked like a pen from the nw quad. After registering his dismay his attitude was superb - straight back to his own box where he headed away the ensuing punt down field. First class.

Didn't notice if Waggy was fouled or not but it's not the first time he's milked one a bit (I've always backed his PLAY). Either way, Chesterfield were perfectly entitled to carry on, and after denying them the possible handball, there was never going to be any doubt about that pen.

First half was our best sustained attacking at home this season, with Wiggins beginning to show what he can do by overlapping with the excellent Jackson. Hayes was also constantly involved until he tired later on.

Possibly along with Waggy this time - or Stephens? - it would still be nice to be able to freshen things up from the bench without making us less potent / more defensive. A fit Green woulf of course be one option, and Kermogrant did well, but we don't want all substitutions to be aimed simply at holding on to what we've got - although I'll be quite happy if we're always making them when a couple of goals to the good!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who, when marking, sometimes struggles to judge our two fine centre halves accurately. They don't look identical, but have both just made such excellent, unfussy starts that one doesn't often stand out alongside the other as significantly inferior, or slower etc. Proper old-fashioned centre backs.

Chesterfield looked dangerous on the attack at times and could prove usefully difficult opponents for their two big Sheffield rivals.