Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chesterfield Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Their penalty appeal for the hand ball was debatable...definitley ball to hand and 'not' hand to ball and hit very hard at close range...I've seen them given.....as well as not given. Would have been unlucky to have awarded a pen IMHO.
  • Options
    Hamer 7.5 best I've seen him play. Deserved a clean sheet 
    Solly 8 His usual best 
    Morrison 7 him a Taylor look good together
    Taylor 7 same
    Wiggins 7.5 like him the look of him alot more as he's settled in
    Waggy 7 needs to practice his diving as the one before the pen was a bit over dramatic. He actually did a good cross to BWP : 0  
    Stephens 7.5 spread the ball about beautifully
    Hollands 7.5 complements Stephens really well. does the dirty work in midfield
    Jackson 8.5 best he's played all season. used his space really well. MOTM  
    Hayes 7.5 seems to be an on off player. extra 0.5 for his goal
    BWP 8 worked his socks off for the team and got his goal
  • Options
    Great game, and  enjoyed the occassion.
    First half performance after a bit of an unsteady opening few minutes we dominated.
    A good game of football, only thing that really marred it for me was the non penalty, and the penalty, still 3-1 was better than I hoped for and 
    the players looked good as a team.Well done Charlton
  • Options
    Just got back. Took a spurs fan and a Chelsea fan with me. We all enjoyed it, but they both commented on how poor both sides were.

I thought we played well and deserved our win. Hollands looks solid, but Stephens imo didn't have a great day. Chesterfield are a poor, poor team. I don't remember them having a shot on goal in the second half? 

I don't go often due to the fact im a student. I sat in the north upper M block, where tbh it wasn't very lively, I found that I was one of the only people clapping and singing. Once the attendance was announced the bloke behind me who hadn't supported the team in the slightest throughout the 90 mins had the cheek to say that all the extra people were armchair fans who wouldn't bother supporting the team again. Absolute rubbish, bet he's the kind of person who starts booing if things aren't going well after 5 minutes....

Sorry for any mistakes, slightly intoxicated.

Great day, great support.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    First half was best I have seen for a long time, although did not think BWP was at his best and his 1st touch let him down.  From about 12th to 15th minute CFC could not get out of their own penalty area let alone half.  As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Hayes plays a brilliant 1st touch and then an awful one.

Chesterfield missed from two yards out - "Are you Torres in disguise made me laugh"

Second half, what is put in their tea at half time, but it was a penalty for us and to have booked our player was outrageous, their shout is one of those if its for you then yes against then no.  Led to their manager being sent to the stands.  Powell should have subbed Hayes earlier and with the run of games we have we could have done a couple of subs earlier to rest the starters and add a bit of momentum back.

The 5,000 extra fans should have gone home happy and hope they comeback, lets hope the club have got their marketing in place 
  • Options
    I'll go along with Addickted4life, although id give Waggy an extra 0.5 and take 0.5 from BWP ha ha. Solly is quality, he really is, he's half the size of most of the players he comes up against but he battles and wins against them. A fans favourite in the making. COYR!
  • Options

One of these days we're going to put both halves of a match together....and give someone a complete drubbing for the whole 90 minutes.

One positive thing re having some poorer periods of play, is that it allows us to see and appreciate what a good solid defence we have and for them to get stuck in to produce a winning result.........which, whilst a bit frustrating,  is very reassuring.

• Options
    Dale Stephens was immense first half. League 1's Stevie G
  • Options
    I think all the fans who were there for a fiver should have been give song sheets so they could've added to the atmosphere.

Also my Dad was getting so happy as he put a bet on 2-1 and Hayes to score 1st but step in BWP and roll on the tears from my Dad.

great day with all the extra support.Why don't we do the football for a fiver more often we surly would make more money out of it?
  • Options

For the first 10 minutes I thought here we go again, another operation cock-up. They looked sharper and were well up for it. We thankfully realised quite quickly that they were defensively poor and their keeper was a flapper. Went on to dominate the first half and could have been 3-4 up at half time.

Then it becomes a concern. What is being said at half-time?. We visably dropped deeper as a team, midfield invited pressure. This isn't the first time this has happened this season.

Hayes only seems to be able to play for 45mins as I thought he was again poor in the second 45mins.

One of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen to book Taylor. I don't think you could get a more nailed on penalty.

Plus for me. Nice to see a player come off the bench and have an impact. Yann looks big, mobile and has a nice touch. Lovely pass to split the defence in the build up to the third goal. Won plenty of headers as well. On that cameo, once he is up to full fitness he is going to be pressing Hayes for a starting place very very soon.

This.  

I think a little more credit to Chesterfield though, they tightened up second half and they've got some very decent players at this level - but we would have been out of sight if their keeper hadn't made 5 or 6 good saves first half. 

Our set pieces were, on the whole, top notch today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chesterfield got out of the blocks quicker than us in both halves but by the end of each half we had firm control of the game. A well earned 3 points.
  • Options

Let me start by reference to Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday. Scunthorpe equalised so late it was impossible to react, and Wednesdays equaliser was a bit dubious, and may also be explained by it being Hamers home debut.

Right.

In the rest of the games when we have faced setbacks the players have shown strength of character and determination to triumph. When Chesterfield got their penalty today, and we all inwardly groaned, and chewed our nails, the players reacted and responded with the above mentioned determination and character. We came on to them again, created a few chances (not least the clearly wrong decision regarding Taylors penalty), and then wrapped things up with a great goal.

We also responded last week at Rochdale, and against Bury, and indeed we have guys out there playing for us who simply don't want to lose. Whatever the strengths and weaknesses of the team, the balance looks good from where I'm sitting, and even though thoughtful criticism of a player may be justified, to my mind so far, the playing staff, and the coaching staff have massively exceeded expectations and then some.

What will happen when this new team start to gel?

Today we were almost embarassingly dominant in the first half, and in the second half we made sure we closed things out with a win.

On the Taylor incident it beggars belief that a centre back, with no thinking time whatsoever in that situation would try a deliberate dive. Maybe a forward, tussling and canny, with options limited might try it on, but Taylor was felled so instantly he could not possibly have had the time to try it on, however fast the speed of thought!

Also BWP's goal. I think he gets cheesed off if anybody else is getting plaudits as the goalscorer, and wants to be the number one in that situation. Hence his little bit of justifiable selfishness up front (mind you in the first half he set up Hayzee really well, but it was miscued). As the ball came across, and we could all see BWP was going to get it, he was obliged to try a sort of diving header, not the power of a shot, the keeper knew what was coming, and yet still BWP scored. it was a brilliant finish from a deadly and in form striker.

If I were a South Stand fan I would have been mightily cheesed off having to move, and thereby missing Jacksons goal. However Rick and the team were excellent in gettin in the crowd today, and are probably beating themselves up it wasn't more. No need to do that.

I still think we will have a clearer picture about our prospect for the season in a weeks time, and maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement just yet.

• Options
    I thought solly was good again today i am so happy four him when there were people putting him down at first one my brother going at this wait he could play four england .
  • Options
    Some quotes from Wednesday fans on Semedo:

''He is by far the best player ive seen in a Wednesday shirt''

''Has to be the best centre midfield player we've had for 10 years??? ''

''How the hell is he not in the Championship? ''

'FIRST 'NAME ON THE TEAM SHEET FOR ME WITHOUT A DOUBT''

''He is the player we have needed for years and years.''

!!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    We were clearly the better side, played some sublime football and created lots of chances.  We did sit back in the second half which allowed them to get back into the game.   That said I don't think the result was ever in doubt.   Let's hope that some of those coming along/back for the first time today feel it'd be worth paying out for tickets at regular prices.

Very pleased that Hayes scored.  He does some great work for the team, but there's always a worry that without scoring he could be under appreciated.  Thought BWP played excellently, very unselfish making that pass to Hayes when he could have scored himself.  Loved the chip from Stephens, what a pity it hit the bar.  Super last goal - that was unstoppable.

---------------------------

Some selected quotes from Mr Powell:

“I want us to be more ruthless and clinical... we need to just kill teams off”
    “we should have got a penalty – I've seen it again”
    “A fantastic and well worked team goal right at the end, you always want BWP at the end of it”
    “We always want to get 3 points each and every game and we've done that today; in front of a bumper crowd so a good day all round”
    “I've got an affinity with the people here”
    “This year I had to change the atmosphere of the place. I've done that through the signings but also we've worked hard on the training field and we're still going to work hard because we're not the finished article article by a long way. What I like about the players is they do create, they do push themselves to get better. I do push them each and every day and even after the game today I said 'I want more than that' I wasn't happy, you know, I had a bit of go at them but its because I want the way of thinking changed here”.

• Options
    Just seen the goals, hayes did a neat back flick for his, whereas from the stand I thought he had simply had it deflect off him, the other two goals quality too
  • Options
    3 goals, 3 points and siting top. What could there possibly to moan about. I'll tell you what. Second half we were asleep for the first 25 mins and it could cost us dear if we continue to switch off for long periods against better teams than Chesterfield. Frustrating because when we are awake we look good. Cost us two goals last week and one this. Great through ball by Kermit to Waggy for the cross onto BWP for third. All in all a good afternoon but we need to put teams to the sword when we are cruising and not let them back in which is becoming a recurring theme.
  • Options
    What Seth said.

When we suffer setbacks, the team roll up their sleeves and get back on the job.  What I like about this is how they are now avoiding panicking and hoofing and just playing their football, safe in the knowledge that they will be able to out-pass the opposition and thus they will create chances.  They did this at Rochdale last week, and it sounds like they did it again today, which is very encouraging.  Isn't it great to have players that can produce quality football again? I can't wait to see the goals on the box tonight (especially the last one which sounds like a corker).

If they can learn to prevent the opposition from rallying straight after half time, then any team is going to have their work cut out getting any points off us whatsoever.  I'm sure CP is well aware of what needs to be done and is on the case; he learnt from the Wednesday game, and that is why we are responding to the opposition scoring like we did today and not going long ball or panicking.  As far as I am concerned, this team can only get better!
  • Options
    Good result, decent performance.
    Saw Gus Poyet driving down floyd road about 10 minutes before kick off. Hope he was there for the game, not scouting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good win. Played well first half and created some good chances, another day we'd have got 3 or 4. Second half Chesterfield improved, could say we should have played better but in the end they didn't create a great deal. It's not often you can completely dominate a game for the entire 90 minutes

Someone few rows behind me didn't sound happy with BWP but I thought he actually played quite well in the first half. Won a few headers, worked hard and his touch was usually good. Did very well to set up Hayes for a great chance, unfortunately his touch let him down. 

Wagstaff isn't going to swing loads of crosses in but if we create chances like the one for BWPs goal, where he gets in behind a defence he can put a decent ball in.

Hollands, Solly, Taylor and Morrison generally solid as they have been. Jackson had a good game. Wiggins looked comfortable running with the ball, nice to have that in a full back, perhaps playing with a bit more confidence now. Not that I've had a problem with him but there had been some talk on here about Evina replacing him.

Early to judge Kermorgant but looks like what we needed, a proper alternative to Hayes (which just isn't Euell for me). Looks like he'll win more in the air than Hayes but also has a bit of quality on the ball, he's clearly not a big lump type of player. Looks similar to Hayes in that if he gets a run of games he'll be involved in setting up chances and get a few assists. Hopefully he'll get a start in the JPT game.
  • Options
    Chesterfield definitely didn't deserve anything from the game. 
  • Options

Saw Gus Poyet driving down floyd road about 10 minutes before kick off. Hope he was there for the game, not scouting.
    He sat next to Tony Jimenez, up until about 60 mins then left.
  • Options
    Should've been 3 or 4 first half, can't remember a game where we have had so many shots in a half, think it's the 8th game this seaosn we've gone 2 up and as Powell points out if there is any negative we need to get a 3rd otherwise like Scunthorpe/Rochdale we are prone to dropping back in the 2nd half.

Thought Kermogant looked good and sharp with some nice touches, played a bit like Hayes. Our 3rd goal was very well worked. All in 3 points clear with a game in hand, I think we play better away our defence seems solid and I don't fear going to MK or Sheffield United right now.
  • Options

He sat next to Tony Jimenez, up until about 60 mins then left.
    Poyet could have been there after watching his son play for the u18s this morning (don't know if he played, but they were at home today)
  • Options
    3 goals, 3 points and siting top. What could there possibly to moan about. I'll tell you what. Second half we were asleep for the first 25 mins and it could cost us dear if we continue to switch off for long periods against better teams than Chesterfield. Frustrating because when we are awake we look good. Cost us two goals last week and one this. Great through ball by Kermit to Waggy for the cross onto BWP for third. All in all a good afternoon but we need to put teams to the sword when we are cruising and not let them back in which is becoming a recurring theme.
    I think that is a bit harsh. I don't think we switched off; I think Chesterfield deserve credit for correcting for what they were failing to do first half - marking Hayes and BWP much more tightly, and not allowing them to turn. First half we had it easy - never closed down and we won every single second ball.

Overall it was a very good performance. Every player is still improving game by game. I am sure we will hammer a couple of teams by the end of the season. No complaints what-so-ever.
  • Options
    Excellent first half and should have gone in more than 2 goals up.
    Did CP ask them to stop playing football at half time? Probably not, but they did.
    Woke up again after the Pen and sealed it with a lovely move for the 3rd.
    Defensively Chesterfield were rubbish and there is no reason for us to sit on our lead and invite pressure.
    Ref was diabolical.

• Options
    First half we were excellent and hayes could/should  have scored more. Starting second half sloppy but picked it up,solid win JJ was class.
  • Options
    The more I see Morrison and Taylor playing together, the more I like them. Proper, no nonsense, centre halfs
  • Options
    Seems churlish to complain when we are top of the league and over 22,000 just saw a lively 3-1 home win but here we go anyway...

Why, when we are clearly a much superior side to many in this league do we just switch off when we are 2 up? Chesterfield should have been dead and buried after 50 mins. 

All credit to Chesterfield for their attitude in the 2nd half and they should have had a clear penalty for handball which caused their manager to be sent to the stands. They were a very average side but it could easily have been 2-2 (as per Rochdale). Our defence just sit on their 18 yard line inviting pressure and forcing defenders to launch 40 yard hoof-balls.

I dread us getting a second goal because with the exception of  the home win v Bournemouth which really was comfortable we just go to sleep.

PS> Thought that short lad at right-back was immense for us today.