Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey to Blackpool

Comments

• Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

I can only speak for myself, but I want this thread to go on as long as JonJo is kicking a ball. Why? Because I reckon he is the best Charlton youth product I've ever seen; I believe he will go on to be the best achiever in the game, in terms of honours and international caps;  because o he conducted himself so well when he was here: and last but not least, because of the muppets who slagged him off. When I watched him on the box for Liverpool against Napoli I found myself rooting for him as if he was still one of ours. 

Like I said, its just me..
  • Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

I can only speak for myself, but I want this thread to go on as long as JonJo is kicking a ball. Why? Because I reckon he is the best Charlton youth product I've ever seen; I believe he will go on to be the best achiever in the game, in terms of honours and international caps;  because o he conducted himself so well when he was here: and last but not least, because of the muppets who slagged him off. When I watched him on the box for Liverpool against Napoli I found myself rooting for him as if he was still one of ours. 

Agreed.

He is and was a very good player. Unfortunately largely because of the dross around him we only saw spasmodic flashes of that although, because he is so good, it is easy to forget that most of his Charlton career was played out before he was 18 years of age!

He left us "properly" (unlike the Arsenal tosser) so I for one wish him every success and would hope Uncle might give us the odd update from time to time too if anyone is still in contact with him.
  • Options
    He left us "properly" (unlike the Arsenal tosser)

Harsh Len.
    Surely we got rid of that Tosser to pay for our promotion chasing squad?  ;-)
  • Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

Agreed.

He is and was a very good player. Unfortunately largely because of the dross around him we only saw spasmodic flashes of that although, because he is so good, it is easy to forget that most of his Charlton career was played out before he was 18 years of age!

He left us "properly" (unlike the Arsenal tosser) so I for one wish him every success and would hope Uncle might give us the odd update from time to time too if anyone is still in contact with him.

You've got that wrong Len. Jenkinson ensured we did well out of it as well. I can't remember the details, but he ensured we got a £1M.
  • Options
    Ok the point is we are interested with jonjo, if soundas isn't, he shouldn't open the thread.
  • Options
    My personal interest in how Shelvey gets on is unlike the Semedos and Francis(s) of recent times, he has the potential to go a very long way, quite possibly the best academy prospect since Scott Parker. That can only reflect well on Charlton, plus it's good to see that while the club is stuck in league bloody one at least something good has come out of it in recent times (prior to Saint Powell working miracles of course.)
  • Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

Big call to say he is better than Parker or Bowyer for that matter, I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

For me, Lee Bowyer in that 95/96 season was the best Charlton product I have ever seen, I will never forget his goal at The Valley against Norwich.

• Options

Ah...you see,  in fact I know quite a bit about what's going on with Nicky and indeed some things that came out of the move to Boro..but honestly it's all in the past and he's gone...........done and dusted.

I don't ask after him or yearn to know what he's up to on or off the field. Come on lads.....he's ex-Charlton so why would I be 'that' interested?.

Shelvey generates interest as he's our best youth product for years snapped up away from us in a shrouded mist of controversy
  • Options
    This will please some of you, especially the west ham fella on here, but he kept making the crossed arm hammer signals to Millwall fans Saturday.
  • Options
    As the ham ham fella happens to be Shelvey's uncle, I'm sure he was already aware :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This will please some of you, especially the west ham fella on here, but he kept making the crossed arm hammer signals to Millwall fans Saturday.

Good lad Jonjo.

• Options
    Is Jonjo a west ham fan then?
  • Options
    yep whole family are
  • Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

Agreed.

You've got that wrong Len. Jenkinson ensured we did well out of it as well. I can't remember the details, but he ensured we got a £1M.
    If I am wrong I apologise but from what I remember reading at the time he refused to sign a contract (unlike Jonjo) which meant we received rather less than we would have done hence my derisory tone towards him.
  • Options

Why would it please us that he did Hammer signs ?

Like Curbs , Bowyer , Lee and Williams he joins the list of Wham supporters who played for us but whose heart was always at Upton Park .

I liked Shelvey as a player and agree that he did the right thing by us and wish him all the best .

• Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

Agreed.

If I am wrong I apologise but from what I remember reading at the time he refused to sign a contract (unlike Jonjo) which meant we received rather less than we would have done hence my derisory tone towards him.
    I remember reading that Jenkinson insisted that we got a fair price when signing for Arsenal.
  • Options

Went to this game at the weekend as my friends who are Millwall fans were spending the weekend up there.  He did the Hammer sign at least 3 times at the end of the game and once during.  I found it quite amusing to be honest, also their left back, Crainey I think it was, was also giving abuse to Millwall supporters.

• Options
    SoundAs, me old mate...

Agreed.

Len, it took me ages to find, but I have in the end. On the O/S 08/06/2011    "Jenkinson seals Gunners switch"

I can't copy/paste from the O/S but the main points are :-

Steve Kavanagh said :-

"Jenkinson had an exemplary attitude and I want to make it clear that CAFC will benefit from the deal and will not have to rely on the compensation rights. I thank Jenkinson, his Dad & Arsenal for the professional manner of their dealings" 

• Options
    I think Jenks got a bad press on here and from what I have gathered it was fully undeserved.

I am interested in how Jonjo's career goes and am still angry that we didn't see more of him in the first team but I suppose that is what you get from a Conference manager.
  • Options
    I think Jenks got a bad press on here and from what I have gathered it was fully undeserved.

I am interested in how Jonjo's career goes and am still angry that we didn't see more of him in the first team but I suppose that is what you get from a Conference manager.

Ooooohhhh, you won't ever let it lie will you Large!!!????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ooooohhhh, you won't ever let it lie will you Large!!!????
    You boring little man... That's not little at all.

• Options
    Just scored the equaliser
  • Options
    6 goals in 8 games.
  • Options
    Good lad. Surely way too good for Scotland. JonJo will go all the way with three lions on his chest
  • Options
    The only problem with Jonjo is very similar to Johnnie Jackson. Pace.

So much of the modern game is about pace and that's something Jonjo isn't blessed with.
  • Options

So much of the modern game is about pace and that's something Jonjo isn't blessed with.
    Nothing on the pitch moves quicker than the ball.
    All good players read the game, make time and dont run round like headless chickens
  • Options
    Jonjo the Jock has a certain ring to it!  Not sure what Uncle would think, mind you...
  • Options

I take your point but, whilst no greyhound, I reckon Jonjo is quicker than Jacko and probably has enough pace.

He is still only 19 so has and will get quicker than the young boy who played for us.
  • Options

I take your point but, whilst no greyhound, I reckon Jonjo is quicker than Jacko and probably has enough pace.

He is still only 19 so has and will get quicker than the young boy who played for us.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he matches Gerrard for pace, when it is measured. I remember in the Napoli game being very surprised when he lost their back line with a sudden burst of speed.