Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life, Down At The Mac, Owlstalk....

Comments

• Options
    There is a whole section on Owlstalk now commenting on Charlton and their fans are giving our team and manager much credit.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/165578-charlton/

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Yes, some nice comments and maybe we can be friends again. They do seem a little confused by how much we have spent though, which I suppose is understandable given that some of the deals were not disclosed. We know pretty much what the amounts were though. Also missed the fact we sold Robbie to the Toon for £250k.

Chrissy has said that the money we have spent has been funded by those deals. And as for our wage bill, we have lost 18 players opposed to the 20 we have brought in and some of them are out on loan. Within those 18 we have lost a few very big earners in Semedo, Racon and Youga. It is well documented that our player off the year last season was made an offer to sign a new contract on reduced terms in line with our wage structure, but Wednesday offered him significantly more so that suggests to me their wage bill is likely to be higher.

The other factor that is often missed is the fact that we haven't brought in the number of loanees which significantly added to the wage bill in previous seasons. I'd say it is pretty clear that the operation is running as efficiently as it has done for quite a while this season with costs down on previous years. This is understandable with residual player costs from being a Championship club being much less of a factor.

But Sir Chris should see the fact that clubs think we have spent big - "Rossler bemoaning the fact that he couldn't spend millions on players like we could recently"- as a massive compliment. It seems if you are talented enough you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
  • Options
    Nice to read the comments from sensible Owls fans but come on........they do have a point.
    There is no way the money from selling Jenkinson has covered what we have done this year.
    It was being touted that we had persueded certain players to join us instead of Championship clubs that were interested in them so we must have pushed the boat out for certain players with higher wages.
    Not that I am bothered, the manager and the board have been superb so far so long may it continue.
  • Options
    I know we shifted a lot out but I still find it a bit odd that we funded the whole team transformation just by losing high earners and the Jenkinson money. We have bought some real quality in Wiggins, Hollands and Haynes and paid reasonable money ? For Green, Taylor and others. Not saying we are lying about our spending but just that it doesn't really stack up for me.
  • Options
    And Elliott! As for nor beating off Championship Clubs, who would you rather join a team on the up with a contract clause regarding wages and promotion or a team struggling with a contract clause regarding relegation?
  • Options
    And Elliott! As for nor beating off Championship Clubs, who would you rather join a team on the up with a contract clause regarding wages and promotion or a team struggling with a contract clause regarding relegation?
    Wasn't really on the up in the summer though.

• Options
    If there was any truth in the suggestion that Racon, Semedo and Youga were on big wages compared to the Championship, and Reid, Dailly, Elliot, Francis, McCormack, Llera, Anyinsaa and Fortune were on high League One wages then it's not hard to see how we have kept the current squad within the same budget.

As far as I'm aware the only teams in the Championship that were after our players were in the bottom half and probably didn't offer wages much above what we were paying those that left.

I don't want to go over old ground, but it does have to be said that the players that were earning the most, and by definition playing way below what they were costing us were signed by Pardew.

I find it completely believable that we spent no more than £1.25m on transfers, and I can also believe that the wages we are paying the young players we have signed are no more in aggregate than what last season's squad was costing. I think this is especially true of the players that were signed during the summer - not including Yann and the other signings since then.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Why don't we list them and work it out. Quickly and off the top off my head and missing a few so please correct as necessary so we can be accurate -

Hamer (£100k),
    Wiggins (£250k),
    Morrison (£250k), Taylor (Free),
    Stephens (£200k),
    Hollands (Free),
    Green (£250k),
    Kermogant (Free),
    Hughes (Free),
    Hayes (can anybody remember?),
    Haynes (£50k),
    Pritchard (nominal)
    Hughes (Free)
    Evina (Free)
    Cort (Free)
    Clarke (Swap for Benson)
    Euell (Free)
    Russell (Loan till end of season)
    Sullivan (Free)
    Pope (Free)

Only 19 so I'm missing one - so far that lot cost £1.1 m compared to £1.25m out. Players out is easy -
    Jenkison (£1m)
    Elliot (£250)
    Also, did we get any more Shelvey dosh this season as well?
  • Options
    Do remember the meeting at the end of last season when Powell said we'd have the budget of Rochdale's and we all panicked
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't really on the up in the summer though.

The likes of Haynes and Cort were recently however.
  • Options
    Hayes was free
  • Options
    Who have I missed? It's annoying me now!
  • Options
    Thought Green and Stephens were slightly more perhaps another 100k
  • Options
    Alonso free
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It was Taylor- didn't miss him but didn't give him a seperate line - so my calculations suggest we are still in credit!!!! I missed Alonso - how could I forget lol - so I make it 21 - doesn't Pope count?
  • Options
    Who have I missed? It's annoying me now!
    Alonso?
  • Options
    Bover & Pope
  • Options
    Sorry you said Pope
  • Options
    My Calculations suggest we have spent about 50k
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course it's quite possible that had Jenkinson stayed the board would have funded the rest of the signings anyway. It was, clearly, not necessary to sign any more/better players than we have as we seem to be doing, kinda, ok in the league.
  • Options
    After the way they celebrated our relegation from the Premiership in 1998 (you would have thought we were Sheffield United the way the creamed themselves that day) I have come to despise Sheffield Wednesday and wish upon them nothing but perpetual pestilence and misery. In other words, I wish nothing upon them but....themselves. May the fleas of a billion camels infest each and every one of their armpits. The gits.
  • Options
    After the way they celebrated our relegation from the Premiership in 1998 (you would have thought we were Sheffield United the way the creamed themselves that day) I have come to despise Sheffield Wednesday and wish upon them nothing but perpetual pestilence and misery. In other words, I wish nothing upon them but....themselves. May the fleas of a billion camels infest each and every one of their armpits. The gits.
    before this season started, I didn't really hold much of an opinion on Wednesday. I am a fan of football and as such, I like the big teams to do well as I think's it sad to see demises of football clubs, especially with ones of good history. Then I started to read comments on owlstalk... I'm not sure I have ever seen such deluded comments. They live in the past, admittedly they should be proud of their history, but being one of the 20th most successful sides ever doesnt get you a place in the prem. They think they have the god given right of prem football, and need to realise their now in the third tier of english football, and struggling to get out of that. until they wake up and live in the real world, I'm happy to support every team they come up against
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I like the cut of your jib sir, well said.

I hope they get to the play off final and lose to a controversial goal that shouldn't be given in the last minute having led the game for 85 minutes. Against Sheff U.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    i'm glad. for a moment there i thought we had to be nice to them.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I have nothing against them but realised quite early that they were a bit behind us. To be honest I am a little suprised they still have a shot at second. They are a very direct side which isn't to my liking in all honesty. We shouldn't be harsh on their fans though for bigging themselves up - that is what fans should do. They are a big club and on support should be in the Premiership so can't have too many complaints if they think that is the case too. of course football doesn't work like that so you can see teams like Fulham and Wigan in the top division whilst bigger clubs struggle.
  • Options
    I still dont think they will go up TBH , i was wrong they will make the playoffs but i can not see them getting out of this division

Huddersfield Stevenage Final for me
  • Options
    Can see MK or Hudders winning the play offs. Think United will go up in the autos
  • Options
    I have been amused by many of their comments on owlstalk. But, fair play to them with these recents comments. Great to read acknowledgement and respect of our performances and results. I think this says a lot about the way CP, his team and the club as a whole go about their business and a lot of this is down to Mr Wonderful CP
  • Options
    I wouldn't go to much by a few posts on their forum, every club has a few idiots. The genuine fans that I have met all seemed ok and decent folk. I do always however favour the little team and underdog so personally would like to see Stevenage go up, albeit unlikely.