Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Hansen

WSSWSS
edited December 2011 in Other Football and Sports
Could be it for him.

Just spoke about "coloured players" about three times on match of the day.

Comments

• Just checked my spanish dictionary, coloured is a dark coffee....
    It just says a lot about Hanson really, out of date and out of touch, I saw it and cringed for the bloke
  • Just checked my spanish dictionary, coloured is a dark coffee....
    It just says a lot about Hanson really, out of date and out of touch, I saw it and cringed for the bloke

mine too!
  • FFS!! Please tell me your not being serious.

What else is he supposed to call them, Could think of a lot worse.

If you Pc Mob had your way, We'd have to call them 'Non White Fellow Ctizens or some other bollocks.

• FFS!! Please tell me your not being serious.

What else is he supposed to call them, Could think of a lot worse.

If you Pc Mob had your way, We'd have to call them 'Non White Fellow Ctizens or some other bollocks.

lol
  • edited December 2011
    I knew PC Mob when he was the neighbourhood officer on the Ferriers Estate, your right he did call people a lot worse

• What else is he supposed to call them,

mmmm....

Alan could lose his job over this which would be a touch!
  • edited December 2011
    Wouldn't say it was racist as such, as clearly there was no malice involved, unlike Terry, Suarez, etc. But a very out of date term and one that isn't acceptable, bit embarrassing really, would expect better of him. I'm sure he'll rightly be picked up on it. Losing his job would be a bit much though.
  • I think it was taken out of context. There was no malice in it! People are over reacting! Yes, it was out of date. But my nan says stuff like that and she doesn't mean to offend anyone. It was the norm 'back in the day'.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm no particular fan of Hansen but I have in my possession an autobiography by the late Conrad Hunte called Playing To Win in which he describes black people as coloured throughout.

Was he wrong, as a black West Indian, to use that term and who decides what is right and wrong in this context?

• What else is he supposed to call them,

mmmm....

Alan could lose his job over this which would be a touch!
    why would he lose his job?
  • Sponsored links:

• White people's faces turn red when angry
    green when they feel ill. 
    pale when scared.

Yet black people are coloured. 

Always amazed me that.
  • Could be it for him.

Just spoke about "coloured players" about three times on match of the day.
    What "colour" were the playeres?
  • It's ridiculous to even suggest he may lose his job .
  • I wish Lawro said it. Most uninsightful, boring and miserable tv pundit of all time?

Hansen is a plonker to use that term, but there's no malice so I'm personally not too bothered. 
  • I wish Lawro said it. Most uninsightful, boring and miserable tv pundit of all time?

Hansen is a plonker to use that term, but there's no malice so I'm personally not too bothered. 
    Agreed. Lawrenson is an idiot who thinks he's funny . They should have ditched him years ago along with that miserable sod Alan Green.
  • I must admit I cringed when I heard him say it, then repeat it. It wasn't live, so I suppose the BBC accepted it before broadcast.

I think it must say more about how we are now supposed to react to specific words than the actual meaning of those words.

For the record, I would never use that term because I've been told it's derogatory and relates to the apartheid regime.

• What is this world coming to ?
  • What was he talking about where "coloured" was deemed necessary to be used
  • "There are a lot more coloured players in the Premier League now, rather than 25 years ago. Some of the best players in the world are coloured."

Something along those lines. Obviously not racist, just hugely ignorant. Lee Dixon's face was brilliant when he said it.
  • edited December 2011
    strange isn't it when I was a child it was more racist to call somebody Black than it was Coloured, I still find it hard to call somebody Black today.Maybe as he is from the same era, he finds it hard to change as well. Coloured was acceptable in the 70's and not now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was the comment out of the blue or in relation to talking about the current suarez saga ?

20 questions !!
  • everyone wants the pound of flesh at the moment, is Hansen racist no not in the slightest but let's make a mountain out of a molehill.
  • Was off the back of a Suarez discussion.

Agree Steve, the "instant media" only fuels it as well.
  • Give him an 8 game ban.
  • No more racist than the fact his nick name is "jocky"
  • Bet he feels a bit like Randy Marsh this morning! Where's Jesse Jackson?

*South Park reference.
  • I didnt know coloured was offensive to people of that race. I thought coloured/black was the acceptable phrasing so I am glad I have found this out. If people think he was being racist or intentionally offensive then they are sad individuals. 
  • I just think his reference to "coloured" players was a bit old fashioned that's all and agree this is a mountain out of a molehill
  • Us 50 plus years olds as kids were told not to call black people black as it was rude, the correct term was coloured. Busbodies latch on to words and become offended.

In my lifetime, "crippled" people, became "handicapped" and then "disabled".

• I didnt know coloured was offensive to people of that race.
    Me neither. I always thought black was considered more offensive and coloured was the more PC term. But seriously, what the fuck is the world coming to when this is even a talking point, let alone a serious issue?