Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Hansen

Comments

• Options
    I would have thought the term black was more offensive, considering their skin-tone is brown..................

Just think everyone's a bit too precious these days.
  • Options
    Precious perhaps? indoctrinated more like it.
  • Options

I would have thought the term black was more offensive, considering their skin-tone is brown..................

Just think everyone's a bit too precious these days.

Agreed that old sweaty shouldnt get the sack for it
  • Options

This is too funny for words, how many of the infamous ‘PC Brigade’ have actually expressed any care about this whatsoever? Not many from what I can see.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The only people who are frothing at the mouth are The Sun – and the best they could do was to pull a quote from Stan Collymore’s Twitter account.

Perhaps that means that nobody really cares about this at all – apart from tabloid hacks desperate to spin out enough material for a story in a notoriously slow news week?

• Options
    Oh turn it now ffs 
  • Options
    getting embarrasing now
  • Options
    Is PC Mob mates with PC Rob ?
  • Options
    a few black mates of mine dont like the term coloured, they say black. my dad says coloured but hes in his mid 70's and i always pull him up on it when he says it.
  • Options

FFS...does it matter?

It's all gone mad!

• Options
    Racism - Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or
    abilities specific to that race

Hansen - A person from an older generation when 'coloured' was the PC term.  I wouldnt use it, but to label him a racist? Absolute bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reminds me of the 7up documentary when a young kid in the early 60s was asked what he thought of coloured people. to which he asked back something about if purple people existed.
  • Options
    A regretable slip of the tongue into the language of an earlier time. I dont imagine for one moment he meant anything by it but he's been around long enough to realise this term is considered offensive and I'm sure if he the time to think about it he would not have chosen to use it. In article for instance.

He will (rightly) apologise, have his bbc equal ops retraining and move on hopefully.

• Options

just amazes me how people are so easily offended now

nation full of pussies.

• Options

nation full of pussies.

Careful, Goonerhater will start calling you racist for calling the English pussies!

That was a joke, Merry Crimbo.

• Options
    He shoud have said African American.
  • Options

Us 50 plus years olds as kids were told not to call black people black as it was rude, the correct term was coloured. Busbodies latch on to words and become offended.

In my lifetime, "crippled" people, became "handicapped" and then "disabled".

It wouldn've been blacks who pointed out that coloured was offensive and the busbodies (??) who decided that coloured was better than black.
  • Options
    This is such a load of bollocks that I'm actually quite depressed over the whole thing.
  • Options

What we need to do is to have the government issue everyone with a chart of colour shades.

1. Dark black

2. Black

3. Light black

4.Dark brown

5. Brown

6. Light brown

7. Olive

8. Dark white

9. White

10. Light white.

Then, before we address anyone, if we are unsure, we can refer to the chart, before we open our mouths.

This will of course present difficulties in poor light, such as in a club, in which case we should refrain from making references at all.

• Options

Black friends of mine have, in the past, told me they don't like the term 'coloured' so I cringed when I heard it but it obviously wasn't said in an offensive manner just a bit naive/ill-informed perhaps.

• Options
    He's issued an apology so that should be the end of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    strange isn't it when I was a child it was more racist to call somebody Black than it was Coloured, I still find it hard to call somebody Black today.Maybe as he is from the same era, he finds it hard to change as well. Coloured was acceptable in the 70's and not now.
    Yep, I remember it being like that too.  What I find stranger is that some black people prefer to use the term "people/person of colour".  But what is "coloured" if not an abbreviation of that?  If someone could explain to me how one is deemed appropriate and the other isn't, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Options
    20 years ago it was wrong to refer to someone as black - you had to say coloured

nowadays it's the other way around

but seriously - is it really a big deal?!??!?
  • Options
    There is no logic in this Stig it's just fatuous and bloody stupid
  • Options

Haven't read all of this thread but my view is that i didn't realise coloured was now a bad term and the only issue is whether Hansen should have. To call him racist is absolutely ridiculous and i think it gets back to this hair splitting terminology nonsense rather than what anti racism should be all about. It's this belief from some up their own arse people with superiority complexes that others are being racist without realising or conscious of it etc etc and they are just as bad. The fact is they are not just as bad and common sense needs to come into play here. Being racist and undertaking racist actions are pretty easy to decipher if you ask me and all this PC and terminology shite is just detracting from the real issues. 

• Options
    I'm offended being called white to be honest, I would say I'm more pink.
  • Options
    I'm offended being called white or pink. I'm more off white / olive.
  • Options
    Telling a racist joke is a tricky one - you don't have to be a racist to laugh at or tell a racist joke in my opinion. Most humour is unnacceptable really, especially if told to the wrong person - i.e handicapped or gay or whatever but as long as the recipient isn't going to be offended then it's okay in my book. The problem comes when the recipient thinks you think he is racist or vica versa - good friends can say jokes to each other that they wouldn't dream of saying to somebody else and if it happens to be a racist joke, it could be taken out of context if overheard. It's all about intent and discrimation in my book and laughing at the differences and characteristics with races shouldn't really be the issue. We laugh at the Scots and vica versa but its because blacks are seen as victims its seen as unnacceptable which i can understand which is why the N word is unnnaceptable. Big lips and curly hair may be stereotypes but i don't see that in itself as a problem - its a fact. The same as a black man is likely to be faster or more powerful. I think all these differences have been buried under a mountain of fear and although its easy for me to say, i think an element of common sense and humour has to come back into things. It's all getting out of hand. Would i favoura  white employee over a black one: no, would i want white rather than black neighbours: no, would i want a white rather than a black team mate: no. Those sort of things, if i'd said yes, would be racist but saying a wrong word or laughing and joking about characteristics are not racist in my book even if the subject is race. Two totally different intentions, 1 subject, and thats the key: intent.
  • Options
    The thing is is that nothing is PC anymore. If you said "that mixed race player" then that's actually technically racist as well. We have to say 'dual-heritage' instead. Everything's old fashioned.
  • Options
    the sun and daily mail must have shot their load when he said that.
  • Options

What we need to do is to have the government issue everyone with a chart of colour shades.

1. Dark black

2. Black

3. Light black

4.Dark brown

5. Brown

6. Light brown

7. Olive

8. Dark white

9. White

10. Light white.

Then, before we address anyone, if we are unsure, we can refer to the chart, before we open our mouths.

This will of course present difficulties in poor light, such as in a club, in which case we should refrain from making references at all.

Now this is great :)