Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Hansen

Comments

• Options
    Sorry WSS i still dont find it funny defining Englishmen as c**ts--------------and for the record no one showed up at the Con Club to call me an English c**t to my face  so maybe the pussies are just on here.

Have a nice white xmas everyone (if thats still allowed). 
  • Options

I watched MOTD last night and thought Hansen was a bit out of date using that word, but none of them said anything of much value on the whole Suarez / Terry debate - they should stick to talking about football.

Hansen's gaffe is hardly in the same league as Big Ron's assessment of Desailly.

• Options
    He has nothing to be sorry for
  • Options
    Harry Gregory said: In my lifetime, "crippled" people, became "handicapped" and then "disabled".

I have heard that even disabled is now frowned upon and that the term 'differently abled' should be used! 
    There is no question but that Hansen should be sacked. Not for this comment but because for £40k a show he is cack.
  • Options
    The thing is is that nothing is PC anymore. If you said "that mixed race player" then that's actually technically racist as well. We have to say 'dual-heritage' instead. Everything's old fashioned.
    Eh!? When did that come in? Most of my dual-heritage mates still refer to themselves as half-caste!
  • Options
    The thing is is that nothing is PC anymore. If you said "that mixed race player" then that's actually technically racist as well. We have to say 'dual-heritage' instead. Everything's old fashioned.
    Eh!? When did that come in? Most of my dual-heritage mates still refer to themselves as half-caste!
    My girlfriend is mixed-race dual heritage. I had to research PC words and phrases at college and came across it. I brought it up and I go to a college in Lewisham where white people are the ethnic minority (not that it affects me).

I was shocked when I came across it. I don't think many mixed-race dual heritage people know it themselves.
    I will carry on saying mixed race until it offends someone though.
  • Options
    You know when it comes to racism, people say: " I don't care if they're black, white, purple or green"... Ooh hold on now: Purple or Green? You gotta draw the line somewhere! To hell with purple people! - Unless they're suffocating - then help 'em.

• Options
    My girlfriend is mixed-race dual heritage. I had to research PC words and phrases at college and came across it. I brought it up and I go to a college in Lewisham where white people are the ethnic minority (not that it affects me).

I was shocked when I came across it. I don't think many mixed-race dual heritage people know it themselves.

I will carry on saying mixed race until it offends someone though.
    What's the difference between "coloured" and "mixed race/dual heritage" then in terms of being offensive? Surely both group an entire range of people under one heading and isn't specific/descriptive enough?
  • Options
    Exactly SLL which is why I think this has all been hyped up too much.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2011
    He shoud have said African American.
    I remember a few years ago when a black person was found dead in the undercarriage well of a Jumbo Jet that had arrived in San Francisco from Nigeria or somewhere. He was a stowaway. The news reports called him an 'African American'.  :-)   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I say bring back "love thy neighbour" to TV.

This may be just for people of a certain age.

• Options
    Mind Your Language
  • Options
    The problem with "dual heritage" is it's not as accurate as mixed race as a visual descriptor. Heritage is about culture, not just ethnicity. Technically, I'm dual heritage, but I'm as white as they come. Secondly, it ignores the possibility that you can have a more complicated background than that. I can see why people might find "half-caste" offensive, but I think there's a danger of being too precious about the terminology.

I think "people of colour" is mostly an American thing, and it's meant to include black, asian, arab etc. In the UK, BME is the most favoured umbrella term, although some BME people prefer non-white, as they don't have to keep explaining the acronym all the time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is ridiculous. The world is going mad. There was no offence intended by Hansen. Isn't racism about discrimination?
  • Options
    Sorry WSS i still dont find it funny defining Englishmen as c**ts--------------and for the record no one showed up at the Con Club to call me an English c**t to my face  so maybe the pussies are just on here.

But that WAS A JOKE GH!!!

Someone had fiddled with Google. I thought it was really funny.

• Options
    Can anyone tell me if any coloureds blacks have complained about this and also which term would they prefer?

Seems to me that the only people that seem offended are those on the far left side of the planet, the same type that want to preserve gypsies as a national treasure...............

It wasn't said in a derogatory or demeaning way and was just a descriptive term that he had been taught to use at the time.
  • Options
    SE9SE9
    edited December 2011

Have a nice white xmas everyone (if thats still allowed). 

I dont believe they didnt  show  ;-)   English cnut!!!!
  • Options
    strange isn't it when I was a child it was more racist to call somebody Black than it was Coloured, I still find it hard to call somebody Black today.Maybe as he is from the same era, he finds it hard to change as well. Coloured was acceptable in the 70's and not now.
    Yeah but we don't travel by cattle no more mate just park the motor down the rose ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I don't mind Alan Hansen, never had a bad word to say about Charlton. We even get a good mention in one or two of his books.

The man has nothing to be sorry about. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2JYCNF2_g

"Calling man coloured blud... Dickhead"  

The video maker is probably an Arsenal fan, just saying :p

• Options
    As a proud card carrying member of what people on here call "the PC brigade", or mob, (or whatever word you can think of to imply an aggressive army rather than individuals who recognise the harm that prejudice does all of us) Alan Hansen's archaism wasn't that offensive. Not a big deal.  Many of the posts here that have been generated by the comment ARE offensive.  And that's sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What we need to do is to have the government issue everyone with a chart of colour shades.

1. Dark black

2. Black

3. Light black

4.Dark brown

5. Brown

6. Light brown

7. Olive

8. Dark white

9. White

10. Light white.

Then, before we address anyone, if we are unsure, we can refer to the chart, before we open our mouths.

This will of course present difficulties in poor light, such as in a club, in which case we should refrain from making references at all.

Whilst I would normally go for number 6, when I have been in the sun there seems to be an omission as bronzed does not seem to be in the list, could we add that as number 11   
  • Options
    Poor bloke, just a clumsy mistake no doubt about it but what timing....
  • Options

What we need to do is to have the government issue everyone with a chart of colour shades.

1. Dark black

2. Black

3. Light black

4.Dark brown

5. Brown

6. Light brown

7. Olive

8. Dark white

9. White

10. Light white.

Then, before we address anyone, if we are unsure, we can refer to the chart, before we open our mouths.

This will of course present difficulties in poor light, such as in a club, in which case we should refrain from making references at all.

Whilst I would normally go for number 6, when I have been in the sun there seems to be an omission as bronzed does not seem to be in the list, could we add that as number 11   

Still no place for Simon Jordan on that list - 'orange' will have be number 12 then

;-)

• Options
    Blud lol, what a dick
  • Options

I'm white but my wife is 'of colour' (to use the current American term) and I have mixed race (not dual heritage) children, so I'm going to put in my pennyworth.  I don't think for one minute that Alan Hanson meant to be racist or, as far as I know, is racist but he did, inadvertently or not, use racist language. I have some sympathy with him up to a point; we all make mistakes, but he really should have known better.  The BBC as a large public organisation will have a policy on racist and other offensive language and behaviour and I'd bet that all their presenters are given plenty of training on this.  For him to use a term which is actually well known to be offensive (sorry, guys, but it is) is inexcusable. The thing about the word 'coloured' is that it was used until relatively recently in some parts of America and in South Africa under the Apartheid regime (and indeed in this country too) as a perjorative term.  It was terminology used by us white people in the not so distant past when we thought we could lord it over other people around the world and has connotations of the despicable attitudes to people of non-European descent of that period. Quite apart from that, as has been pointed out, all of us are coloured in one way or another, so why should black people be referred to as coloured?  The implication can only be that white people are the normal colour and anyone else is different, odd, inferior. Why is 'black' better?  Why is 'of colour' acceptable and 'coloured' isn't?   Because that's how non-white people want it and so that's how it should be.

• Options
    edited December 2011

1. Dark black

2. Black

3. Light black

4.Dark brown

5. Brown

6. Light brown

7. Olive

8. Dark white

9. White

10. Light white.

11. Bronzed

12. Orange ( Simon Jordan, David Dickinson)

Personally I am 8 in winter, 7 in summer & 6 after a summer holiday abroad.

On a serious note, as a 49 yr old, I have to say that I live in SE London/North West Kent & would say am of reasonable intelligence & streetwise etc.

But I was also brought up to describe black people as coloured, because this was the correct & polite thing to do.

Personally, I wasn't aware that this had become offensive, until a teenage black girl at work, complained that a customer had called her coloured. This was about 2 years ago.

I discussed this with my friends at that time & think I am right in saying, that none of them realised that a description that we had always taken to be polite had now become offensive.

When did this change occur in the UK & why are only some people aware ? Surely, this should be better publicised. I would add, that I would say I am well read & generally well versed in current affairs. Yet, this one passed me by.    

• Options
    Shakes head!! Where the hell will all this end? I'm 26 I had no idea it was anymore offensive than black. And I'd still use it. The Nigerian girl at work, who im great mates with certinally doesn't give a shit.

People need to stop being offended on behalf of other people.
  • Options
    Seems to me that the people taking serious offence and trying desperately hard to convince each other that they are the wronged parties are the white people on this board and hundreds like it.  Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed the absurdity of your posturing.
  • Options
    It's the same people who refer to black boards as chalk boards, here's a clue, none of them are anything but white anglo-saxon and somehow feel a need to be offended on behalf of people they have neither met or understand
  • Options
    Seems to me that the people taking serious offence and trying desperately hard to convince each other that they are the wronged parties are the white people on this board and hundreds like it.  Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed the absurdity of your posturing.
    Great post.