Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Hansen

1235»

Comments

• Options
    In my village down in Cornwall, we have only a handful of people of ethnic origin.

No one calls them black or even coloured ........they're just our mates.
  • Options
    strange isn't it when I was a child it was more racist to call somebody Black than it was Coloured, I still find it hard to call somebody Black today.Maybe as he is from the same era, he finds it hard to change as well. Coloured was acceptable in the 70's and not now.
    That's right. It used to be unacceptable to call someone black and we were told to say 'coloured.'

Another point is that we often say 'black' for people who aren't really black.
    SCP and BWP for example are obviously black. What about people like Lisbie and Daryl Russell? Is calling people 'brown' acceptable? I mean, they are not black or white, are they? I always find it odd that Barack Obama is considered the USA's first 'black' president when he is clearly not so.
  • Options
    It's the same people who refer to black boards as chalk boards, here's a clue, none of them are anything but white anglo-saxon and somehow feel a need to be offended on behalf of people they have neither met or understand
    It's slightly off topic but why do people use the term Anglo-Saxon? The Anglos and the Saxons were tribes from two millenium ago. How can they possibly be relevant today as a term to describe British people?
  • Options
    It's the same people who refer to black boards as chalk boards, here's a clue, none of them are anything but white anglo-saxon and somehow feel a need to be offended on behalf of people they have neither met or understand
    It's slightly off topic but why do people use the term Anglo-Saxon? The Anglos and the Saxons were tribes from two millenium ago. How can they possibly be relevant today as a term to describe British people?
    Great question.
  • Options
    In my village down in Cornwall, we have only a handful of people of ethnic origin.

No one calls them black or even coloured ........they're just our mates.
    That's deep man... real deep. ;-)

Thing is Oggy, down your way you're 'ethnic' if you got the standard number of fingers and thumbs.

• Options

Sorry Oggy, but that's bollocks. Everybody has an "ethnic origin" of one description or another.

Or are you actually saying that down in your village you "only have a handful of people of ethnic origin" as in the rest of them are some form of crazy non-human mutants? (exclusing you, of course!)
  • Options
    There just his friends leave it offy there his ethnic friends
  • Options
    Great question.
    Thanks. It is actually something that really annoys me. I live in France and the French bracket all English-speaking people as Anglo-Saxon. I don't really want to be put into the same bracket as, for example North Americans, under any terminology, but for it to be done so with two tribes, one of whom originated from Germany is just absurd.
  • Options
    I believe both Angles and Saxons originated from Germany
  • Options
    I believe both Angles and Saxons originated from Germany

The Angles were from the area now known as Schleswig-Holstein - this part of Germany is traditionally known as "Angeln".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looked like he was welling up when talking about Gary Ablett on MOTD. Felt quite sorry for him
  • Options
    The whole issue is bull****

Zzzzzzzzzz