Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Hansen

Comments

• Options

Poor production. After the first 'coloured' someone in the gallery should have been screaming into his earpiece 'black not coloured! black not coloured' and Linekar should have cut in with a remark about black players and put emphasis on the first word.

Huge fuss about nothing.

• Options
    Seems to me that the people taking serious offence and trying desperately hard to convince each other that they are the wronged parties are the white people on this board and hundreds like it.  Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed the absurdity of your posturing.

So true
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lewis Carroll the well-known child-fancier?

Probably would.
  • Options
    so what your saying is white people cant take offence ? so calling a blackman  a c**t can get you nicked but calling ALL Englishmen c**nts well thats sooooooo right on OK and of course we have NO right to get offended -----its after all just BANTER and the other is clear RACISM 

• Options
    so what your saying is white people cant take offence ? so calling a blackman  a c**t can get you nicked but calling ALL Englishmen c**nts well thats sooooooo right on OK and of course we have NO right to get offended -----its after all just BANTER and the other is clear RACISM 

What in the name of hell are you wittering about? Your splutterings are starting to make less sense than my nephew's - and he's 18 months old. I'm not even sure who that particular tirade was aimed at!

If you preface the word 'c**t' with the word 'black', then even the biggest pillock on Earth would construe that as racist. If you just call someone a 'c**t' then, inj the right circumstances (i.e. not said in jest to/amongst acquaintances), that's certainly offensive, but not racist. If this was explained to a small child they'd understand it. Why can't you?

PS: In advance, no - I don't want to 'meet you in the liberal' (as that (or something like it) will probably form part of your next passive-aggressive response)
  • Options
    Seems to me that the people taking serious offence and trying desperately hard to convince each other that they are the wronged parties are the white people on this board and hundreds like it.  Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed the absurdity of your posturing.

If you believe that black people really don't care if they are called 'coloured' and this is just about PC white liberals acting offended, you are deluding yourself.   

• Options
    I think the big problem is that the vast amount of people in this country these days are genuinly not racist but are fed up with being told they are if they mention a wrong word or dare get caught in a all--white party in Norfolk or do not like curry.I hope in my lifetime we stop this obsesive pigeonholing of people, children do not recognise race until they are told about it,
  • Options
    GH:
    You should see your doctor about a change of medication as your current prescription clearly isn't working.  Why do you always have to turn everything into a rant??? Or are you just indulging in a huge wind-up??? 
  • Options
    Is anyone on this thread actually expressing offence? It's just the foaming-at-the-mouth 'this country's going to the dogs' brigade who are getting all offended at......what, exactly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As much fun as the circular racism debate is, the only thing I have to add is the bit in that video where Hansen says coloured for the second time and Dixon looks across at Lineker like he's afraid the world is about to explode, is priceless
  • Options
    I was just listening to the album 2001 by Dr Dre in which the good doctor uses the N Word repeatedly.  Once again one rule for millionaire musicians and another for the man in the street.
  • Options
    No the black men round catford use it to greet each other Mortimerician
  • Options
    I was just listening to the album 2001 by Dr Dre in which the good doctor uses the N Word repeatedly.  Once again one rule for millionaire musicians and another for the man in the street.

Rihanna uses it on her Loud album but apparently because it ends in 'a' and not 'er' it is ok.
  • Options

If you believe that black people really don't care if they are called 'coloured' and this is just about PC white liberals acting offended, you are deluding yourself.   

In which case surely they will demand that the NAACP* changes it's name?

* The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the NAACP was and still is a very influential organisation that lobbied hard and successfully for Civil Rights in the US.

I can't help but think that some of the criticism that Hansen is attracting is down to envy.

• Options
    Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
  • Options

I'm white but my wife is 'of colour' (to use the current American term) and I have mixed race (not dual heritage) children, so I'm going to put in my pennyworth.  I don't think for one minute that Alan Hanson meant to be racist or, as far as I know, is racist but he did, inadvertently or not, use racist language. I have some sympathy with him up to a point; we all make mistakes, but he really should have known better.  The BBC as a large public organisation will have a policy on racist and other offensive language and behaviour and I'd bet that all their presenters are given plenty of training on this.  For him to use a term which is actually well known to be offensive (sorry, guys, but it is) is inexcusable. The thing about the word 'coloured' is that it was used until relatively recently in some parts of America and in South Africa under the Apartheid regime (and indeed in this country too) as a perjorative term.  It was terminology used by us white people in the not so distant past when we thought we could lord it over other people around the world and has connotations of the despicable attitudes to people of non-European descent of that period. Quite apart from that, as has been pointed out, all of us are coloured in one way or another, so why should black people be referred to as coloured?  The implication can only be that white people are the normal colour and anyone else is different, odd, inferior. Why is 'black' better?  Why is 'of colour' acceptable and 'coloured' isn't?   Because that's how non-white people want it and so that's how it should be. 

Cheers for explaining that Bill; that's appreciated and it certainly makes sense in terms of apartheid and other racist systems.   I have to admit though the "of colour" still seems weird to me as, until a race of transparent guppy-people evolves, absolutely everyone is "of colour".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not having that. Guppies are multicoloured (see what I did there?)

• Options
    Perhaps I should have said transparent frog-people but I didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

• Options

The thing about the word 'coloured' is that it was used until relatively recently in some parts of America and in South Africa under the Apartheid regime (and indeed in this country too) as a perjorative term.      

This is incorrect - the word 'coloured' is used in South Africa to describe people of mix race that have both black and white in their heritage. It's not offensive and that's what these people call themselves. I guess it depends on your upbringing and country you live in that makes you think certain words are politically incorrect. I have no issues calling a black person black or a mixed race person coloured. This whole race issue is always blown out of proportion and it now seems everyone is scared to say the wrong thing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rihanna uses it on her Loud album but apparently because it ends in 'a' and not 'er' it is ok.
    She used up all her 'ers'  repeatedly mis-pronouncing Umbrella.
  • Options

He was also in a group called N.W.A which stands for "Niggas with attitude".
  • Options
    For the love of god,

He fukd up, he said something that some find offensive , some don't,

There is so much I know more than you bollox on here that its like your all comparing willys

In the grand scale of television cock up's it is more Keith Floyd than Ron atkinson and the sooner people stop looking for something that ain't there

and be more pissed off that the beeb put jack all on for family tv Xmas day entertainment the better

Where is only fools and horses or gav and stace or a Xmas special from Catherine Tate ,

Instead we had beastenders and ab fab wtf
  • Options

There is so much I know more than you bollox on here that its like your all comparing willys

In the grand scale of television cock up's it is more Keith Floyd than Ron atkinson

True, it's not the worst comment ever made on TV but football had, and still has in some parts, a bad reputation when it comes to racism and Hansen's slip was unfortunate in lending some substance to the view that all those seventies attitudes are still out there, just thinly covered up.  And of course it came at a particularly sensitive time and ironically in a discussion about alleged racist language in football.  It's important to understand the issues at play here and also the effect of language on shaping attitudes - it's easy when you're not affected yourself to think it's all just bollocks. It isn't. The BBC and other public organisations must get it right or what hope is there for everyone else?  I notice that Hansen has been missing from MOTD since his faux pas. Doubtless getting some refresher diversity training.

• Options
    Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony

Only side by side on the piano keyboard nolly.
  • Options

In the grand scale of television cock up's it is more Keith Floyd than Ron atkinson

True, it's not the worst comment ever made on TV but football had, and still has in some parts, a bad reputation when it comes to racism and Hansen's slip was unfortunate in lending some substance to the view that all those seventies attitudes are still out there, just thinly covered up.  And of course it came at a particularly sensitive time and ironically in a discussion about alleged racist language in football.  It's important to understand the issues at play here and also the effect of language on shaping attitudes - it's easy when you're not affected yourself to think it's all just bollocks. It isn't. The BBC and other public organisations must get it right or what hope is there for everyone else?  I notice that Hansen has been missing from MOTD since his faux pas. Doubtless getting some refresher diversity training.

I think it's the producers that are probably in more need of training than Hansen.  Why on Earth should he be expected to be an authority on this subject?  Why allow (or more likely, Prompt) Lineker to start probing him on this subject?  He's there as an expert on how to play football not as an expert on race relations.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

There is so much I know more than you bollox on here that its like your all comparing willys In the grand scale of television cock up's it is more Keith Floyd than Ron atkinson

I think it's the producers that are probably in more need of training than Hansen.  Why on Earth should he be expected to be an authority on this subject?  Why allow (or more likely, Prompt) Lineker to start probing him on this subject?  He's there as an expert on how to play football not as an expert on race relations.
    agreed , but I guess for a million + a year the BBC need him to be an 'exsquirt' on everything .. after all, he is just another overpaid scottish knowall
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Personally, I wasn't aware that this had become offensive, until a teenage black girl at work, complained that a customer had called her coloured. This was about 2 years ago.

I discussed this with my friends at that time & think I am right in saying, that none of them realised that a description that we had always taken to be polite had now become offensive.

says CE

I guess I wasn't involved in that conversation two years ago! Don't think I've used 'coloured' since the 80s, if ever.
  • Options

Personally, I wasn't aware that this had become offensive, until a teenage black girl at work, complained that a customer had called her coloured. This was about 2 years ago.

I discussed this with my friends at that time & think I am right in saying, that none of them realised that a description that we had always taken to be polite had now become offensive.

says CE

I guess I wasn't involved in that conversation two years ago! Don't think I've used 'coloured' since the 80s, if ever.

EastTerrace  -   Have you been out in the last 2 years, apart from going to work ?    :-)

• Options
    You have a point CE!

As for Hansen, I think the majority of please that say coloured are not racists, they use other terms.