Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton are looking at swindon's Leon Clarke in a swap deal with Paul Benson !

Comments

• Options
    Maybe he just needs a manager like Sir Chris
  • Options

Hayes dropped down another rung on the pecking order?

• Options

Fell out with the manager at Swindon.

Fell out with the manager at Sheffield Wedensdday.

11 clubs by the time he is 26.

Ps Is he the one who dislocated his toe by kicking the a\dvertising boards when he scored ?

Can someone post up just how much trouble Clarke has been in

if it is all down to the PDC incident then why are you concerened,

he scores goals at this level for the team near the bottom then he will score for us

in powell i trust, it gets benno away and playing which he deserves and brings fresh inpetus in to the squad for the remaing months

• Options

Fell out with the manager at Swindon.

Fell out with the manager at Sheffield Wedensdday.

11 clubs by the time he is 26.

Ps Is he the one who dislocated his toe by kicking the a\dvertising boards when he scored ?

Can someone post up just how much trouble Clarke has been in

if it is all down to the PDC incident then why are you concerened,

he scores goals at this level for the team near the bottom then he will score for us

in powell i trust, it gets benno away and playing which he deserves and brings fresh inpetus in to the squad for the remaing months

Yeah that was him had to be taken off
  • Options
    Wolverhampton Wanderers

Clarke is a product of Wolves' youth academy, where he worked his way up to making his first team debut in a League Cup win over Darlington on 23 September 2003. However, he did not feature at all in the team's Premier League campaign of that season.

After a loan period at Kidderminster Harriers in Spring 2004, he made his breakthrough into the Wolves first team in the 2004–05 season, and made 31 appearances, scoring 8 times.

During the 2005–06 season his fortunes were mixed, as he benefited from injuries to others in the early part of the season, before slipping down the pecking order later in the season, after new players were signed. He went out on loan twice; first to Queens Park Rangers, then to Plymouth Argyle.

He played regularly in the first half of the 2006–07 season but, in January he was transfer-listed when manager Mick McCarthy said he wanted to "freshen up" the strike force.[1]

[edit] Sheffield Wednesday

On 15 January 2007, then Sheffield Wednesday manager Brian Laws announced that the Owls had completed the signing of Clarke for an undisclosed fee, thought to be around £300,000 signing a contract until 2009.[2] He wore the number 18 shirt, for the remainder of the 2006–07 season. However, only two months later it was announced that Clarke would be going out on loan to League One promotion chasing side Oldham Athletic without even making a starting appearance for Wednesday.[3] Clarke proceeded to score his first goal for Oldham against League One rivals Doncaster Rovers in a 4–0 victory on 11 March 2007. In total, Clarke played five games and scored three goals for Oldham. After returning to Hillsborough, he was immediately placed in the first team and scored on his first start in a 2–1 victory against Cardiff City.[4] After only one goal and one start in the early stages of the 2007–08 season, he was sent on loan to Southend United until January on the last day of the 2007 Summer Transfer Window. He made a great impression on his debut, scoring one goal and setting up two others in a 3–0 victory against Gillingham.[5][6]

After returning to his parent club Sheffield Wednesday he was restricted to one start and five substitute appearances for the rest of the 2007–08 season, but made three important contributions. This included providing the flick on for Marcus Tudgay to score the second goal of a derby win against Sheffield United on 19 January 2008, scoring the third goal as Sheffield Wednesday beat Leicester City 3–1 in the vital relegation clash between the clubs on 26 April 2008 and following this up with another goal in the Owls' final game of the season, a 4–1 win over Norwich City at Hillsborough on 4 May 2008.

Since he has come back to the Wednesday first team in the 2008–09 season he has scored against Barnsley, and also against Doncaster Rovers in a 1–0 win. Clarke later helped a Wednesday comeback against Norwich with a goal in a 3–2 victory, and then two games later he scored at home against QPR in a 1–0 victory in the 75th minute.

Clarke scored the first of Wednesday's two goals in the end of the season relegation battle against Crystal Palace, which could have seen either team relegated from the Championship on 2 May 2010. However in celebrating the goal, he kicked the advertising boarding, dislocating his toe and forcing the striker to be carried off the pitch and subsequently substituted (his replacement being former Palace player Tom Soares). The game finished 2–2, which saw Wednesday relegated to League One. Three days later it was announced he would not be offered a new contract.[7]

[

• Options
    Queens Park Rangers

Clarke signed for Queens Park Rangers on 21 May 2010 on a 2 year contract, with manager Neil Warnock stating "he's worth a gamble." After struggling to keep a first-team place at QPR he was loaned to Preston North End on 28 January 2011 until the end of the season.[8] Clarke scored his only goal for Preston on 15 February 2011 against Watford. On the 19 August 2011 QPR confirmed that Clarke's contract had been terminated by mutual consent.[9]

[edit] Swindon Town

Clarke signed for Swindon Town on 19 August 2011 on a two-year contract,[10] dropping from the Premier League to League Two to link up with Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio.

[edit] Dispute with Di Canio

After a 3-1 loss to Southampton Clarke was involved in an altercation with Claudio Donatelli, the Swindon fitness coach. Di Canio intervened, the manager and player were shown on television cameras arguing and being separated by coaching staff.[11]. Swindon Town chairman Jeremy Wray later confirmed that the club would be looking to offload Clarke on loan as a result of the incident and Di Canio himself stated that Clarke would never play for Swindon whilst he (Di Canio) is manager.[12]. On September 8, he signed a three-month loan deal at League One side Chesterfield. Manager John Sheridan was boss at Oldham when Clarke played five games on loan, scoring three goals.

[edit] Chesterfield

On September 9, 2011 Clarke joined League One club Chesterfield F.C. on a 3-month loan[13] and scored on his debut. He has subsequently scored on his home debut, followed by a hatrick against Carlisle, making that a very impressive 5 goals in his first 3 games for the Spireites. He also scored on his return to Sheffield Wednesday but despite this ended up on the losing side as Chesterfield fell to a 3-1 loss.

[edit] References

• Options

There you go.

Never played for Wedensday and loaned out, Transfer listed by Wolves and Swindon and contract terminated by qpr.

• Options
    11 different clubs at the age of 26, Kicks off with his manager in front of cameras, Comes across a right arrogant cnut to me. I dont want him.

The evidence does suggest that he's far from being a model pro, but we needed to replace Benno and acquiring on a free a proven goal scorer at this level fresh from a team in the relegation zone to boot suggests that if he knuckles down he could a sound investment. If it doesn't work out then so be it. CP has gotten most of his incoming transfers right so perhaps he due a dud purchase, but he has earned the right to take a punt on him.
  • Options
    None of which prove he's a troublemaker
  • Options

There you go.

Never played for Wedensday and loaned out, Transfer listed by Wolves and Swindon and contract terminated by qpr.

well, you must be right then. Add to that all the bad signing's Chris Powell has made so far and it's another bad move by a crap manager. Powell out !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There you go.

Er...he did play for Wednesday :

After returning to his parent club Sheffield Wednesday he was restricted to one start and five substitute appearances for the rest of the 2007–08 season, but made three important contributions. This included providing the flick on for Marcus Tudgay to score the second goal of a derby win against Sheffield United on 19 January 2008, scoring the third goal as Sheffield Wednesday beat Leicester City 3–1 in the vital relegation clash between the clubs on 26 April 2008 and following this up with another goal in the Owls' final game of the season, a 4–1 win over Norwich City at Hillsborough on 4 May 2008.

Since he has come back to the Wednesday first team in the 2008–09 season he has scored against Barnsley, and also against Doncaster Rovers in a 1–0 win. Clarke later helped a Wednesday comeback against Norwich with a goal in a 3–2 victory, and then two games later he scored at home against QPR in a 1–0 victory in the 75th minute.

Clarke scored the first of Wednesday's two goals in the end of the season relegation battle against Crystal Palace, which could have seen either team relegated from the Championship on 2 May 2010. However in celebrating the goal, he kicked the advertising boarding, dislocating his toe and forcing the striker to be carried off the pitch and subsequently substituted (his replacement being former Palace player Tom Soares). The game finished 2–2, which saw Wednesday relegated to League One. Three days later it was announced he would not be offered a new contract.[7]

"

• Options
    Was that not under a different manager though ?
  • Options

i do believe that this season he is on fire with his goals

sign players in form and something to prove,

remember everyone this is to replace benno who has not played 1 signficant part in our season so far to date,

this is not to replace Yann or BWP

squad player off bench chill ya peanuts

• Options
    Paul Sturgess said: "I know wolves and wednesday fans who have said Clarke is crap."
    Would these be the same knowledgable wendy fans who said that Morrison was shite and that Llera should be the first name on their team sheet? Maybe not the most reliable of opinion-formers then.
    I have concerns over someone who has had so many clubs in such a short space of time. That career path reminds me of Bothroyd (who didn't do much for us) but who now seems to be able to hold down a position at QPR. Maybe Clarke will blossom under CP but he needs to understand that he is backup. If he gets into an argument with CP there will only be one winner.
  • Options
    None of which prove he's a troublemaker

Takes one to know one eh - Leroy ;0)
  • Options
    Exactly what we need, someone to come on and take defenders out of their comfort zone and make space for our goal scoring midfielders. The fact he scores a few as well is a bonus. I trust CP can manage his ego.
  • Options

Clarke, who has scored a fair few this level, off the bench is an excellent option.

Powell get's that confidence and belief into players and keeps them grounded. If he is rubbish then all is not lost as he isn't seen as our first choice.

• Options
    @NLA

squad player off bench chill ya peanuts

Ha, ha, ha, this!
  • Options
    You have to admit that BWP, Kermit, Hayes and Clarke looks pretty good for league one.
  • Options
    I think Clarke will have met his match in Sir Chris if he tries any silly stuff here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all wanted a striker, we get one who's scored 9 in 13 at the bottom of our league and we still love a moan!
  • Options
    Any signing that might disrupt the harmony we have in the squad is a big risk although looking at his CV it only looks like he had had the spat with DiCanio and let's face it Di Canio could have an argument in an empty room.
    I does concern me why he has been at so many clubs though.
    I say leave him alone.
  • Options
    We get 6 months or so to see if he's up to scratch. If he scores a few he'll be kept on - if he proves to be pants we bin him once we're promoted.

Common sense from CP and a different option for us

I imagine he has a BIG point to prove to Sheff Weds so stick a fiver on him to score up there in a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Yeah, much like with Kermorgant I'm going to wait until he plays to judge rather than judging on his Wikipedia. That's a little too close to the Alan Pardew school of scouting for my liking. If this happens I look forward to seeing him play
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Clarke could be a very shrewd signing. The list of argumentative and arrogant prima donna strikers is endless. So long as he is not disruptive and settles in passably well with the other players he'll be ok. Falling out with Laws and Di Canio doesn't make him unique. Di Canio makes Mussolini look humble and Laws once broke a players' jaw with a sandwich plate in a half time row. Not least amongst Powell's attributes is his apparant calmness and acceptance of human nature. Still I suspect he can conceal a steel fist inside a velvet glove. Welcome Leon and get stuck in
  • Options

My summary of his career.

Wolves 03-07   Not good enough for The Prem so sold.

Sheff W 07-May 10. Did ok in Championship. Wednesday were relegated, he was out of contract. Probably not offered a new one as couldn't afford (remember they were heading for administration).

QPR    May 10   Given 2 yr deal by Warnock. QPR then flying top of the table, Clarke can't get in team. Summer 2011 QPR terminate contract, mutual consent as both parties don't think he's a Prem player.

Swindon 11    Joins Swindon as no one better came in & has a row with that stable chap Di Canio who tried to pull him off the pitch by his neck.

Chesterfield on loan for 3 months, bottom team & is 4th top scorer in league.

I reckon he's a lower Championship / very decent League 1 player.

His various loans in the main have been because he couldn't make it in a Prem team or a team heading for the Prem.

A better bench option than Euell I would say. At the very least he can run & jump.

• Options

Someone above said his career path reminds me of Bothroyd.

Also reminds me of a career path of another Charlton legend, Marcus Bent.

• Options

My summary of his career.

Wolves 03-07   Not good enough for The Prem so sold.

Sheff W 07-May 10. Did ok in Championship. Wednesday were relegated, he was out of contract. Probably not offered a new one as couldn't afford (remember they were heading for administration).

QPR    May 10   Given 2 yr deal by Warnock. QPR then flying top of the table, Clarke can't get in team. Summer 2011 QPR terminate contract, mutual consent as both parties don't think he's a Prem player.

Swindon 11    Joins Swindon as no one better came in & has a row with that stable chap Di Canio who tried to pull him off the pitch by his neck.

Chesterfield on loan for 3 months, bottom team & is 4th top scorer in league.

I reckon he's a lower Championship / very decent League 1 player.

His various loans in the main have been because he couldn't make it in a Prem team or a team heading for the Prem.

A better bench option than Euell I would say. At the very least he can run & jump.

Very good summary. Looks decent business to me.
  • Options
    Please let this be true, Happy new year.
  • Options
    Also, I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but isn't Di Canio sort of the textbook example of a prim donna disruptive striker? Worked out pretty well for us from what I remember