Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton are looking at swindon's Leon Clarke in a swap deal with Paul Benson !

Comments

• Options
    Sheff Wed fans opinions are based on him playing Championship level, he has proven at Chesterfield (struggling Div 1) that he can score goals at this level.

This is where we are, Div 1, trying to get out.

Seeing we were never going to play Benson this is a decent move, ok some think gamble, nontheless forget the background to the guy, anyone would have taken the 4th highest goal scorer in the division at this stage.

CP so far has proven his man management skills to lift players, so called not rated by other teams fans (Morrison).

I think this guy is a better call than Euell who many were creaming their pants over joining us.      
  • Options

it is no gamble, have we not gambled since the start of the season being limited to what we had on the bench???

It is a gamble if he is a hot headed trouble maker intent on ruining his career

i dont think he is or it is and if he does terminate contract and fook him off no big deal

I reckon we wouldnt have been the only 3rd tier club looking at him in this window

• Options
    I don't think Kerm has to worry as he has given 100% every game that Ive seen him and is scoring fairly consistently, however I think BWP might look over his shoulder
  • Options
    I don't think Kerm has to worry as he has given 100% every game that Ive seen him and is scoring fairly consistently, however I think BWP might look over his shoulder
    <br

Doubt that tbh. I think it's Hayes and Euell who are the most in danger.
  • Options
    I was talking regular place not the bench...imo on current form
  • Options

BWP when fit is I suspect pretty fireproof in terms of selection.
  • Options

BWP when fit is I suspect pretty fireproof in terms of selection.
    No I totally agree, and 6 weeks ago we wouldn't be having this conversation -  BWP and Kerm compliment each other. I'm not saying right now, it's just a lean spell or at least I hope that is what it is, but in a month's time he may not be one of the first down on the teamsheet...again with my FM 2012 hat on
  • Options
    I know it means little but I am surprised to read that Chesterfield fans are not particularly bothered that the leagues fourth top scorer won't be resigning for them. Useless and lazy seems to be a widespread opinion.
  • Options
    It's a swap for a player that for whatever reason wasn't gonna get a look in with us this season. If he turns out to be lazy or attitude not right then I'm sure CP won't end up using him much and it'll just be a gamble that hasn't worked. Not a big deal really and is highly unlikely to disrupt our season.
  • Options
    I know it means little but I am surprised to read that Chesterfield fans are not particularly bothered that the leagues fourth top scorer won't be resigning for them. Useless and lazy seems to be a widespread opinion.
    I interpreted it differently, SHG.  They are stuck in the mire, seemingly nailed on certainties for relegation and a significant number of their fans have basically written this season off; which is reflected in their comments in general and towards Leon Clarke.

I don't feel they were ever going to be fully behind a loan signing who to be perfectly honest is devoid of any emotional connection with the club and is only interested in maximizing his wages - which Chesterfield cannot afford anyway.

With this in mind it seems only natural for some of them to downplay his time at the club when in actual fact he has done quite well.   Certainly whenever I have seen him this season he has looked a handful at this level.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    9 goals scored in 13 matches by a lazy useless player sounds alright to me !!

• Options
    9 goals scored in 13 matches by a lazy useless player sounds alright to me !!

BWP in disguise? :)
  • Options
    No complaints about this at all.

We're swapping a player who's not getting a look-in and wants to leave for the league's 4th top scorer. Sounds alright to me.
  • Options
    Am I wrong in thinking a player cannot play for three teams in one season?
  • Options
    Wikipedia has him playing for us already...
  • Options
    Strengthens the squad for sure, will have a real job ousting BWP or Kermogant but gives us a different option from the bench - well done again Sir Chris.
  • Options
    Am I wrong in thinking a player cannot play for three teams in one season?
    thats signing on permenant deals/long term loans. I think his initial loan to chesterfield was 3 months which is classed as a short term loan.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am really worried about this.  I mean, apparently he is thick and quite frankly I don't care if he is the 4th top scorer in this league, if he is not bloody clever then why on earth would we be signing him?

These Wendies fans know so much about football, so far they have called it perfectly, Morrison is a lump and pretty useless, Llera is the man to build a defence around...and as for Semedo well he is probably the best midfielder in this league, the forwards momentum he gives teams is second to none.

TBH I guess the difference between us and Wendies is that if Clarke decides to score a goal then kick an advertising hoarding so hard he breaks his toe, it won't matter too much cause we will probably already be 4 or 5 goals to the good!

• Options

I am really worried about this.  I mean, apparently he is thick and quite frankly I don't care if he is the 4th top scorer in this league, if he is not bloody clever then why on earth would we be signing him?

These Wendies fans know so much about football, so far they have called it perfectly, Morrison is a lump and pretty useless, Llera is the man to build a defence around...and as for Semedo well he is probably the best midfielder in this league, the forwards momentum he gives teams is second to none.

TBH I guess the difference between us and Wendies is that if Clarke decides to score a goal then kick an advertising hoarding so hard he breaks his toe, it won't matter too much cause we will probably already be 4 or 5 goals to the good!

I thought you were serious til I got to "These Wendies fans know so much about football", then I laughed. 
    Well done. 
  • Options
    No idea how good a player he is but he is subject to probably the gayest football youtube clip since those Nigels singing outside that pub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aO5mcK8MlQ&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not at all worried by this if its true. I trust CP's judgement. He is in the best place to judge and the best qualified,
  • Options
    I'd concluded Clarke was a troublemaker until I heard Neil Warnock talking about him. He described the incident with Di Canio as a blip, hugely out of character, and described Clarke as one of the loveliest guys off the pitch you could meet.

Not quite sure what to make of it, but SCP has been careful to bring in the right characters into the club and would have done his research. Looked a much better player than a Chesterfield loanee when we played them earlier this season. Better than Benson? Oh I think so, and therefore we're improving the squad at little cost.
  • Options
    Anyone know the breakdown of his goals , does he take penalties ?
    I know he scored a few early on for chesterfield

Free bet imo , jog him on if he's pony but playing for a contract often spurs players on and he'll be on the bench unless we have injuries
    In SCP we trust
  • Options
    If it is a straight swap then surely it is permenant as Bensons contract expires at the end of the season and Swindon do not want Clark tp play for them ever again
  • Options
    Why does it matter that he is a trouble maker? Di Canio was hardly an angel. BWP got caught with his hand down a girls handbag and beat up some Southampton supporters whilst playing for Southampton. And as mentioned above were signing a 26 year old who's the leagues 4th top scorer for the team bottom of the league.

Also when he played against us he was a handful getting in the way and generally being a nuisance which would be a good option from the bench and which we don't really have at the moment.
  • Options
    Everyone says we need a plan B well Clarke is it
  • Options
    If it is a straight swap then surely it is permenant as Bensons contract expires at the end of the season and Swindon do not want Clark tp play for them ever again

Yes, I think he will be given a permanent contract until the end of the season.
  • Options
    Liked the YouTube clip above. Some very nice touches there and a good mix of finishes. Shows a bit of quality.
  • Options
    Liked the YouTube clip above. Some very nice touches there and a good mix of finishes. Shows a bit of quality.
    My thoughts exactly
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Someone above said his career path reminds me of Bothroyd.

Also reminds me of a career path of another Charlton legend, Marcus Bent.

Clarke's career path is probably typical of a bulk of footballers. The vast majority don't make a career out of football, or fall out the game early on.
    The video clip above shows this guy has some class, and looks like a clever player.