Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• Options
    How the return was reported, No.2 - Kentish Times

• Options
    How the return was reported, No.3 - Valiants Viewpoint

• Options
    edited December 2012
    How the return was reported, No.4 - The Mercury

• Options
    How the return was reported, No.5 - Valley Review (Prog v Portsmouth)

• Options
    How the return was reported, No.6 - Charlton Magazine

• Options
    Ooh I'm in the programme, celebrating at the Town Hall.
  • Options
    How the return was reported, No.7 - Charlton Magazine

• Options
    How the return was reported, No.7 - Ten years on - Programme v Liverpool

• Options
    edited December 2012
    6th December:

1958: Stuart Leary became the first player to score 100 goals for Charlton when he scored the second of two goals in a 4-3 home victory over Bristol Rovers. Sam Lawrie scored the other two.
  • Options
    7th December

2002: Charlton 2 Liverpool 0. Two great goals. The fist has some great passing and movement before Euell shows what a killer instinct he had. In the secon, Konchesky wins the ball twice ends up in the box and poaches one himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzYKBMv-HI8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    8th December

2001: Charlton 3 (Stuart, Lisbie 2) Spurs 1.
  • Options
    9th November

2000: Charlton 3 (Bartlett 2, Robinson) Man Utd 3. Super comeback having been 3-1 down.

• Options
    inbox message from Anna Kissed:

5th December 2006

Hi Stig.
    Regarding December 5th, and it being an auspicious day for the club, may I add to the list: CAFC 1, Blackburn Rovers 0 (El Karkouri, very late on) ?
    (My birthday!)

Best wishes,

Anna Kissed

-----------

To Anna Kissed (and everyone else),

Thanks very much for this one. Please feel free to post whatever you want on the thread. It shouldn't be exclusively mine, in fact I'm absolutely sure that it would be far better if it wasn't.
  • Options
    Great work Stig with those downloads, really good to read
  • Options
    10th December

1945: Frank Lock signed for the Addicks on leaving the Royal Artillery. He stayed at The Valley for 8 seasons, in that time scoring eight goals from 230 appearances, mainly as a left back. In 1953 he was signed by Liverpool manager Don Welsh.

• Options
    11th December

1938: Charle Wright born. 209 appearances for the goalie bought from Grimsby for £8000. Apparently Charlie used to chat with the fans during the match until Eddie Firmani banned him from doing so.
  • Options
    12th December

1897: Norman Smith born. Smith played 450 games for Charlton mainly at right back. He is the only player to have won two champions medals whilst at the club: 1928/29 and 1934/35.
    1936: Charlton beat Everton 2-0 to top the league for the second time in history.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    13th December

1928: John Hewie born. 530 appearances covering every position on the pitch, 38 goals. He is, as far as I know, the only Charlton player to have won international caps for more than one country. Playing football for Scotland and Baseball for England; not bad for a South African!

Hewie, number 3, playing for Scotland v Spain in 1957. Scotland won 4-2.
  • Options
    14th December

1947: Lennie Lawrence born. A PE teacher who took us to Wembley, got us promoted and worked wonders during the most difficult time in the club's history; keeping us in the top flight for four seasons running and earning the nickname Houdini in the process. Despite this, he made himself unpopular with some Addicks fans for the manner of his leaving and for, many years later, working for Palace.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    15th December

1934: Sam Lawrie born. 78 goals from 208 appearances as a winger.
    Sam Lawrie's audition for a role in The Matrix.

1934: Ralph Allen scores four as Charlton beat the Gills 6-3.
    1951: Killer born. Charlton's greatest goalscorer with 168 and the owner of one of the finest beards ever to be seen on a football pitch.

1956: Charlton's line up against Aston Villa included four county cricketers. Mickey Stewart, Syd O'Lyn, Derek Ufton and Stewart Leary.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Stig was the Sam Lawrie picture taken at White Hart Lane v double winning Spurs FA Cup 3rd round Jan 1961 (lost 2-3) ?
  • Options
    Yes, spot on sleepy_head. That's very impressive!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The tall Spurs player to the right is Maurice Norman their centre half and I think half out of view could be Dave Mackay and on the half way line possibly the late David White with either Hewie or Tocknell difficult to be sure at a distance.
  • Options

The tall Spurs player to the right is Maurice Norman their centre half and I think half out of view could be Dave Mackay and on the half way line possibly the late David White with either Hewie or Tocknell difficult to be sure at a distance.

Isn't it JOHN White, sleepy_head? Got killed by a lightning strike if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Davo55 said:

Isn't it JOHN White, sleepy_head? Got killed by a lightning strike if I recall correctly.
    Absolutely right Davo55 silly sleepy sb John White who had the misfortune to be on a golf course at the time of the storm :-(
  • Options
    16th December

1920: Linking to yesterday's story about a lightening storm, on this day “Lightening” Les Fell was born. A pacey winger who was on the club's books for eight seasons, his official appearance record might look a lot healthier than 23 appearances and 5 goals if it hadn't been for the war. He did, though, play in the 1946 cup final.

Les meets the King.
  • Options
    17th December

1925: Bill Paterson becomes the first ever Charlton player to be sent off. Charlton still beat Oxford 1-0 though.
    1938: Charlton beat league leaders Everton 4-1 at Goodison (Wilkinson, Tadman 2, Brown). Prior to this Everton had won 9 out of 9 at home with a goal difference of +24 there.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    18th December

1950: Phil Warman born. Started as a left winger, but soon converted to left back. Warman was at Charlton for twelve seasons and in that time played 364 games and scored 20 goals. He played in the 1975 promotion game against Preston and in the 1981 promotion game at Brunton Park. He is the same height as Chris Solly.
    A rare early sighting of PW without the trademark tache.

• Options
    19th December

1985: Bradley Pritchard born.
    2009: Charlton 4 Millwall 4. When Steve Morison scored an o.g. in the 86th minute it looked as if Charlton might actually do the business against ten-man Millwall, but we let Schofield score two minutes into injury time. FFS.
  • Options
    20th December

1922: FA Cup winner Bill Whittaker born.
    1980: Beat Carlisle 2-1 (Powell and a MacDonald o.g.) at The Valley. The last of fifteen consecutive unbeaten matches.