Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any of you got a famous relative?

Comments

• Options
    My mum's cousin is one Brian Robert Kinsey...
  • Options
    37 generations back (all recorded and verified) my direct ancestor killed Macbeth and then the bard, Shakespeare wrote a play about it all...
    Howzat?!! :-)
    I am directly related to Macbeth. Not that I've got anything recorded to prove it, but by the time you get much beyond 25 generations you are related to everyone that was on the planet.

Nevertheless, that's a fantastic thing to be able to trace it back to someone directly like you can.
  • Options
    My great great uncle isolated Acetylchlorine from ergot in 1914 developed Sulphapyridine in 1939.
    Beat that.
    Do you mean acetylcholine?
    I do. Thank you for having heard of his magnificent isolation. Unfortunately the acetylcholine isolating gene didn't make it as far as me.
    indeed, a landmark discovery....I'm guessing henry dale is said relative? (If my memory serves me right)
    Good guess. Henry Dale was his partner in the acetylcholine business, but he did sulphapyridine by himself. His name was Ewins.
    Wow, that's awesome! Two very important discoveries!
  • Options
    My Dad's Aunty was Margaret Price, who, I understand, was a very great opera singer - a bit gutting as we never new of her until we read her full-page obituary in the Daily Telegraph!

Also my uncle by my brother's first marriage was a judge on the French equivalent of Pop Star To Opera Star - does that count as famous???
  • Options
    As this thread appears to have completely gone off the rails and (apart from rwhites) I have no famous relatives I will add my small claim to fame.
    I created and produced every single certificate for uni of greenwich students from 1999 to 2006. Amongst many non-entities (including myself!) I personally hand crafted the honorary award given to curbishley (and murray if memory serves). Although I consider each one a work of art I expect curbs used his as back up bog roll(at least I have the comfort of knowing he can wipe his bum with a spelling error free piece of quality parchment). I wonder how long it will be before local organizations, business, government decide to steal a little of our glory and jump on the cafc bandwagon once more.
  • Options
    As you will have seen on the 'Dartford Bridge Charging' thread every time it makes its annual appearance, my late brother is well known in literary circles for his epic work 'Clockwise Round the M25': a mine of information about our favourite m'way. It is still available on Amazon should you need a present for Mum on Mothers Day: she'll love it!
    My own claim to fame is much more modest: I managed to get a road in Norwood named after one of my dad's favourite race horses. So if you live in Mill House Place, SE27, I hope you like it.
  • Options
    Steve Nash the basketball player (Canadian National Team) is my wife's second cousin.
    That's real fame! WHO????
    Ha ha Chirpy, Steve signed a 6 million dollar contract when he was just 23! His brother wasn't a bad footballer either, came over to England and played for a few teams including Scunthorpe if I remember rightly. His Dad used to play for Enfield.
  • Options
    Steve Nash the basketball player (Canadian National Team) is my wife's second cousin.
    That's real fame! WHO????
    Ha ha Chirpy, Steve signed a 6 million dollar contract when he was just 23! His brother wasn't a bad footballer either, came over to England and played for a few teams including Scunthorpe if I remember rightly. His Dad used to play for Enfield.
    Doesn't make him famous though does it?

• Options
    they like to think they are famous!
  • Options
    You can say you know me, i'll be famous one day mark my words!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Mams cousin is Dana who won the Eurovision many years ago.Shes now a politician in Ireland. Also author Roddy Doyle was my english teacher, the knob.
  • Options
    ^ your family's all kinds of everything then
  • Options
    My cousin is married to Ronnie Wood's (Rolling Stones) son!
    Any chance you can get us a discount from his gallery ? :)
  • Options
    distantly related to Anne Linnet, a very well-known Danish musician - maybe someone knows he she is :)
  • Options
    My stepdad is related to Gary Cooper
  • Options

You can say you know me, i'll be famous one day mark my words!
    People walking up to you in the street and saying "Your Crazy" does not make you famous, trust me ; )

• Options

The fella supporting the right knee is my step grandad :-)

Jack Shreeve
  • Options
    My Gran said she was Lawrence Oates' (of Scott of the Antarctic fame) niece or cousin - I can't remember which. I don't believe her though as she tended to embellish, the only link being her surname.

I had a great aunt who was Mayor of Slough.

That's it really.
  • Options
    37 generations back (all recorded and verified) my direct ancestor killed Macbeth and then the bard, Shakespeare wrote a play about it all...
    I am directly related to Macbeth. Not that I've got anything recorded to prove it, but by the time you get much beyond 25 generations you are related to everyone that was on the planet.

Nevertheless, that's a fantastic thing to be able to trace it back to someone directly like you can.

LOL - that's true that almost 100% of the UK indigenous population are related to some British historical figure if you go back far enough - a distant cousin who is well into all this geneaology stuff stumbled across our common great grandmother who had a direct cousin who was Francis McKinley Jr (an US President) then found out that he had commissioned a geneaologist to trace his roots back to Duncan MacDuff...

Cheers
  • Options
    My uncle said he once shot Hitler or was it he shot Hitler once......can't remember exactly but he obviously wasn't a very good shot !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Dad married Pamela Stephenson
  • Options
    my dad is the comedian Peter Cook....................well, that's his name and he thinks he's funny.
  • Options
    My uncle said he once shot Hitler or was it he shot Hitler once......can't remember exactly but he obviously wasn't a very good shot !
    A photographer wasn't he? Or the guy that shot a testicle off in the First World War? ;-)
  • Options
    No, well not really.... Terry Marsh, the accused attempted-murderer, is a distant relative. Though I'm reliably told that my Grandad fought Jackie The Kid Berg as an amteur and beat him: my great Uncle tells me this, he knew my Grandad when he was a child, but on research it doesn't add up. I'll have to get my arse into gear, and research the East End Boys boxing records. No doubt they got blown up in the war!
  • Options
    edited March 2012

LOL - that's true that almost 100% of the UK indigenous population are related to some British historical figure if you go back far enough - a distant cousin who is well into all this geneaology stuff stumbled across our common great grandmother who had a direct cousin who was Francis McKinley Jr (an US President) then found out that he had commissioned a geneaologist to trace his roots back to Duncan MacDuff...

Cheers
    Given that all of the American presidents except for Martin Van Buren are related to each other, if you are related to McKinley you're also related to Obama, Reagan, Kennedy, Jefferson etc. etc. Now consider that George Washington is related to the Queen and suddenly you are tied to practically every Royal family in Europe. I believe that makes you the best connected person on Charlton Life :-)
  • Options
    No, well not really.... Terry Marsh, the accused attempted-murderer, is a distant relative. Though I'm reliably told that my Grandad fought Jackie The Kid Berg as an amteur and beat him: my great Uncle tells me this, he knew my Grandad when he was a child, but on research it doesn't add up. I'll have to get my arse into gear, and research the East End Boys boxing records. No doubt they got blown up in the war!
    Terry Marsh the boxer was once part of a fire crew the was called to tackle a blaze on an industrial estate where I worked. As they got on with fighting the fire a bunch of factory workers gathered round chanting "Terry Marsh, Terry Marsh Terry Marsh". It was quite surreal.
  • Options
    Lincsaddick. your family's all kinds of everything then.

Hahaha they are. And remind me of youuu.:)

• Options
    Ah McKinley the forgotten President of the 20th century. Assassinated by an anarchist, driven to surgery in an electric ambulance, couldn't get an appropriate doctor to remove the bullet, and then died from gangrene. Generally well thought of as a President, but barely ever talked about. Only usually mentioned as to how Teddy Roosevelt rose to power; who incidentally was shot and the bullet left in his body too.

McKinley's an excellent ancestor to have.
  • Options
    My dad has a wikipedia page, he wasn't famous but the characters he drew for a living are. Dennis The Menace/Desperate Dan etc etc
  • Options
    My dad has a wikipedia page, he wasn't famous but the characters he drew for a living are. Dennis The Menace/Desperate Dan etc etc

Legend ! was a member of the dennis the manace fan club as a kid. What era did he draw them ?