Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any of you got a famous relative?

Comments

• Options
    I also have a DVD featuring Incorrubtible Addick . Steve Nash is very well known in North America, he's also one of the owners of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

I was also told that my dad's side of the family is somehow distantly related to Hannah Hauxwell, who featured in a series of documentaries showing her livng in absolute poverty on a farm somewhere in Yorkshire having been callously abandoned by her family. Ooops!
  • Options
    Shine - he left Fleetwood Comics (Whizzer & Chips/Cor!/Monster Fun) and joined DC Thomson (Beano/Dandy/Nutty etc ) in the mid seventies......

He wasnt the original artist for Desperate Dan etc - but he drew the strip hundreds of times as he was able to match the style of the originals. He was a great artist, i have none of his talent but my sister illustrates children's books....
  • Options
    Shine - he left Fleetwood Comics (Whizzer & Chips/Cor!/Monster Fun) and joined DC Thomson (Beano/Dandy/Nutty etc ) in the mid seventies......

He wasnt the original artist for Desperate Dan etc - but he drew the strip hundreds of times as he was able to match the style of the originals. He was a great artist, i have none of his talent but my sister illustrates children's books....
    That is quality, what kind does your sister so ? One of my friends has become a artist/partner with Terry Pratchett for his future books.
  • Options

That is quality, what kind does your sister so ? One of my friends has become a artist/partner with Terry Pratchett for his future books.
    she's done quite a few different books, all children's stuff....it's a tricky way to make a decent living
  • Options
    My uncle said he once shot Hitler or was it he shot Hitler once......can't remember exactly but he obviously wasn't a very good shot !
    A photographer wasn't he? Or the guy that shot a testicle off in the First World War? ;-)
    Ah McKinley the forgotten President of the 20th century. Assassinated by an anarchist, driven to surgery in an electric ambulance, couldn't get an appropriate doctor to remove the bullet, and then died from gangrene. Generally well thought of as a President, but barely ever talked about. Only usually mentioned as to how Teddy Roosevelt rose to power; who incidentally was shot and the bullet left in his body too.

McKinley's an excellent ancestor to have.
    Wow thanks colintat for filling in the rest of the story. Knew he was apparently assassinated due to some issues over steel industry... Electric ambulance in early 1900! Must be a wee bit faster than a milk float:-) Cheers...

• Options
    Roy Dwight (elton johns brother) was the football coach at my school in forest hill, he scored in the fa cup final one year and then went off with a broken leg, but they won 2-1, think it was notts forest he played for...

my ex wife's father is robert redfords second cousin, nowhere near as talented...
  • Options
    ex girl friends dad managed The Who many years ago (not Bill C). Was an Ex so does not count i suppose.

Am told a distant relative was Lord Mayor of London. Dont know his name.
    Dick Whittington ?

• Options
    Roy Dwight (elton johns brother) was the football coach at my school in forest hill, he scored in the fa cup final one year and then went off with a broken leg, but they won 2-1, think it was notts forest he played for...

my ex wife's father is robert redfords second cousin, nowhere near as talented...
    I played cricket against Roy in the late 70's/early 80's. I was playing for Abbey Wood School staff team against another school staff team, it was at the National Dock Labour Board ground on the A20 and we went to the Crossways after.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Terry Marsh was found guilty wasn't he?
  • Options
    Chris Powell is my uncle...................................keep calm, unfortunately he's not SCP !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Might as well throw my twopennath in..........my grandad was Mayor Of Greenwich and was with the Queen when 'knighting' Francis Chichester next to his boat 'Gypsy Moth' which used to be in dry dock alongside the Cutty Sark. He was also present (in an official capacity) at the opening of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel with the Leader of the then then GLC.....Desmond Plummer I think his name was.

He never did a match thread!!!
  • Options
    My dad has a wikipedia page, he wasn't famous but the characters he drew for a living are. Dennis The Menace/Desperate Dan etc etc
    Are you from Dundee originally? Have you seen the statue of Desperate Dan in Dundee City Square?
  • Options
    Might as well throw my twopennath in..........my grandad was Mayor Of Greenwich and was with the Queen when 'knighting' Francis Chichester next to his boat 'Gypsy Moth' which used to be in dry dock alongside the Cutty Sark. He was also present (in an official capacity) at the opening of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel with the Leader of the then then GLC.....Desmond Plummer I think his name was.

Seen this redmidland......
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/francis-chichester-knighted
    I think my grandfather probably had retired from being superintendent of monuments at Greenwich, but he would have been involved in the planning of his boat in the dry dock......
    It was a great achievement what Chichester did, and like so many heroes, his exploits need to be celebrated and remembered.

• Options

Seen this redmidland......
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/francis-chichester-knighted
    I think my grandfather probably had retired from being superintendent of monuments at Greenwich, but he would have been involved in the planning of his boat in the dry dock......
    It was a great achievement what Chichester did, and like so many heroes, his exploits need to be celebrated and remembered.

Thanks Ken.....didnt see my grandad on that clip but have a photo of him from the old Kentish Mercury and the Kentish Independant with him on it.......good memories, thanks.
  • Options
    Great old footage of the Gipsy Moth. 1967 I would have 10 years old. Red, you would been early 40s wouldnt you? ; )
  • Options
    Great old footage of the Gipsy Moth. 1967 I would have 10 years old. Red, you would been early 40s wouldnt you? ; )
    oi T.C.E................sex and travel!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    Yep - My Brother is Ollie (MCS)! Can't get more famous than that!
  • Options
    Well, if we're allowed to name ancestors in this thread, I'm a direct descendant of Alfred the Great.
    Seen an official family tree to prove it too!
  • Options
    Well, if we're allowed to name ancestors in this thread, I'm a direct descendant of Alfred the Great.
    Alf Garnett ?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    No. The Culinarily Challenged Ancient English King. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2012
    ahhh.. the cake burner .. allegedly
  • Options
    My uncle is Jim Davidson. He's looking forward to meeting those of you slagging him off on the other thread, when you will be able to express your views to his face. Good luck.
    I would think it's more likely that he couldn't give a f*** either way whether people on an internet messageboard like him or not. I'd also think he probably wouldn't thank you for posting something so childish.

• Options
    i just spent 20 minutes with the original lead singer of Iron maiden
    Just seen this. Do you mean Paul Di'Anno? He's a total nause.
  • Options
    My uncle is Jim Davidson. He's looking forward to meeting those of you slagging him off on the other thread, when you will be able to express your views to his face. Good luck.
    And always thought your uncle was the original bass player for the Stones......?

• Options
    1 in 200 of us is a direct descendant of Genghis Khan according to geneticists. Any traffic wardens post here?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/1-in-200-men-direct-descendants-of-genghis-khan/
  • Options
    As far as a I know, I'm not related to anyone famous, but as for my own claim to 'fame' I interviewed Alan Curbishley at Sparrow's Lane every few weeks over the course of the 2001-2 season for a football column he did in a magazine I used to work for.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Fred Lucas, my grandfather, former Addick.
    My dad was in the Financial Times about how he and a co-worker set up the gilt-edged securities department of the Royal Bank of Canada (or was it HSBC? Can never remember) so technically he's kind of famous.
  • Options
    Captain James Cook apparently.
  • Options
    Captain James Cook apparently.
    Ha! Not you as well???