Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Cook. Permanent?

Comments

• Options
    N000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • Options
    N000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    Well.............it was at 12.42 in the morning!

• Options
    If he can set up some more goals like our second yesterday, I'd definitely say yes.
  • Options
    I thought Lee Cook got better as the game went along. He gave the ball away a couple of times but battled on. He put in some top crosses and gave the side a balanced look. Lee Cook, in that position looked better than Wagstaff and Green and I wasn't not thinking about the lack of Johnnie Jackson and the need to find a decent left midfield player. There was definitely some threat on the left and he helped out in midfield.

I am with Rugby Addick, lets see how the next few games go and make a judgement then.
    The first loan spell did not work out. He looks fitter now, lets give him a chance to prove himself.
  • Options
    No thanks
  • Options
    For those saying no, why?
  • Options
    I doubt they know other a knee jerk no.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    There was a lot of adverse reaction the other week when the loan deal was done and a lot of bad reflection back to the Blackpool? away game in his last loan spell. I never saw that game but I don't have any bad memories of his last stay which I think was only 4 starts in 9 appearances. However I'm not in the yes camp either after just one game as I mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    He was not good enough for us when he was here last and he hasn't improved.

How many different QPR managers don't seem to want him either ?
  • Options
    That was his first game; he did his covering and tracking back, neat and tidy, great tackle and delivery to create the 2nd goal.

Like all wingers, he flitted in and out of the game - but there's promise of more to come.

The most important part though, he enhanced and fitted into the team.
    Just what we need right now, especially with Jackson missing.

Should we offer him a contract? Depends if the player wants it enough.
    As the next 6 games will show.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did the Jackson role exceptionally well yesterday
  • Options
    I thought he played well yesterday but started to run out of steam after the hour mark. Obviously delighted SCP kept him on to put that ball in for N'Guessan!
  • Options
    Did ok with a few nice touches, and the cross showed he has class. But I suspect had we drawn instead of winning he might have been the scapegoat, such are the fine lines in football. But if he plays ok and sets up a goal a game from now on in he will deserve a chance.
  • Options
    Thought he played well danced through a couple defenders to get in the box nearly score first half , nearly scored in the second half keeper made good save and then he put that cross over for the goal .Gave the side a balanced look , to early to say whether he will be a good signing but on yesterday's performance I'd say yes but to early to call .
  • Options

Last time he was here the fall to League 1 has begun. Reid had just left, we had too many midfielders that couldn't play together (Cook one of them). We had strikers that couldn't score and a manager with an oversized squad that he wasn't sure how to use. At the time many said Ambrose, Sinclair, Thomas, Iwelumo, McCarthy etc weren't good or consistent enough, but all have proven themselves at least in the Championship.

Cook was no worse than Hollands or Stephens yesterday, but some are giving them 7.5's and 8's and Cook is getting the odd 5. Green has had worse games (and without an assist or goal) but has still been given high marks.

What he did or didn't do 4 years ago has nothing to do with what he can offer us now. We looked more balanced with Cook on the left than we did with DN'G. I'm not saying sign him up, but there's no reason to decide now that he can't possibly be good enough.
  • Options

Last time he was here the fall to League 1 has begun. Reid had just left, we had too many midfielders that couldn't play together (Cook one of them). We had strikers that couldn't score and a manager with an oversized squad that he wasn't sure how to use. At the time many said Ambrose, Sinclair, Thomas, Iwelumo, McCarthy etc weren't good or consistent enough, but all have proven themselves at least in the Championship.

Cook was no worse than Hollands or Stephens yesterday, but some are giving them 7.5's and 8's and Cook is getting the odd 5. Green has had worse games (and without an assist or goal) but has still been given high marks.

What he did or didn't do 4 years ago has nothing to do with what he can offer us now. We looked more balanced with Cook on the left than we did with DN'G. I'm not saying sign him up, but there's no reason to decide now that he can't possibly be good enough.
    Very good post Sco.
  • Options
    I'd say keep him 'til the end of the season for now. Put Jackson in the middle next to Hollands, then decide then. No harm in keeping him if we can't find a better replacement over the summer though
    Definitely agree with this. Stephens i feel needs to be dropped from the starting 11 and the bench to be replaced by Jackson in the middle beside Hollands and Pritchard on the bench. Let stephens drift betwen being dropped and the bench and then in the summer he needs a rest and then get him ready for the start of the season as at the start of this season he showed he has a lot of potential. Jackson in the middle I feel would make the team a lot more balanced as he could pick out a few passes whilst consolidating the middle.
  • Options

On that logic we would be having Mooney/Rachubka/Spring back.

We are going into the CCC and so are his parent club - who have used him 27 times in 3 years and are letting him go on a Bosman.

I'll go with the judgement of Mark Hughes and Woy Hodgson - both of whom have declined his services in the past.
  • Options
    Too early to say whether he's worth signing up permanently, but he definitely added balance yesterday, and I don't think it is a coincidence that having a natural left-footed, left-sided midfielder helped to bring out the attacking side of Wiggins' game.
  • Options
    If he scores / assists or otherwise contributes significantly to us winning most of the rest of our games this season, yes.

It's there for him to win!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cook was certainly sizzling yesterday.
  • Options
    If not for injuries Lee Cook would certainly have played in the Premier League and maybe even England . I remember him being linked with us whilst Curbs managed us and on the couple of occasions I saw him play for QPR in his first spell I rated him highly and my various Rangers supporting friends saw him as an exciting talent.

He has not had a good run of games since we last had him as Valiant Phil observes above and the reason I was positive about the move was due to his excellant performance for the O's against us on New Year's Eve , yesterday I felt his delivery was superb and the best compliment I could give him is that I did not believe we missed Jacko in the same way we did when Ephraim was playing partly because of his natural left foot. Indeed I agree with the view that the skipper could be moved centrally when he returns to the team and Cook should remain wide left.

We needed a left footer to see us over the line , in my opinion Cook fits the bill . Yesterday would vidicate that view , let's see if he can stay fit .

This might be a good pay as you play or one year deal because beyond next season Bover or Harriott could be ready.
  • Options

We are going into the CCC and so are his parent club - who have used him 27 times in 3 years and are letting him go on a Bosman.

I'll go with the judgement of Mark Hughes and Woy Hodgson - both of whom have declined his services in the past.
    Well not really, those 3 are fairly average League 1 players. Cook was a good Champ player just a few years ago, Fulham paid a few million for him.

Hughes and Hodgson had him while they were Prem managers.

Not every signing has to be someone on the up after a great season - Yann had done very little at Leicester, Morrison was poor for Sheff Wed, Hamer was a reserve keeper at Reading etc.
  • Options

Well not really, those 3 are fairly average League 1 players. Cook was a good Champ player just a few years ago, Fulham paid a few million for him.

Not every signing has to be someone on the up after a great season - Yann had done very little at Leicester, Morrison was poor for Sheff Wed, Hamer was a reserve keeper at Reading etc.
    Spot on Scoham, it was interesting to hear the Swansea chairman on talksport this morning saying that when they got promoted out of league 1 , it took them 3 seasons in the championship to get to the Premiership By improving the team year on year, that might not be quick enough for some of our fans, but fits with our chairmans vision to be there or thereabouts, let's see how Lee Cook gets on from now till the end of the season, he sure can cross a ball though.
  • Options

But I thought we couldn't go on what happened a few years ago ???

Hughes has the chance to keep Cook for next season and doesn't want him.
    Yann was in the doghouse for messing up a penalty - more fool Leicester.
    Hamer is not good enough for the Championship.

I agree with you that not everyone will be on the up, but my point is:

Why sign a "known quantity" average player on a permanent deal, rather than take a chance on another developing player like Pritchard or Bover?

• Options
    But I thought we couldn't go on what happened a few years ago ???

Hughes has the chance to keep Cook for next season and doesn't want him.
    Yann was in the doghouse for messing up a penalty - more fool Leicester.
    Hamer is not good enough for the Championship.

I agree with you that not everyone will be on the up, but my point is:

Why sign a "known quantity" average player on a permanent deal, rather than take a chance on another developing player like Pritchard or Bover?

Well 9 appearances for us in a poor season isn't much to go on. Different to regular football every year at QPR which led to a Prem side paying decent money for him.

We need to build a squad for next season, which is why Powell signed players like Hughes, Hayes and Taylor. I'm sure he'll sign a mixture of younger players to develop and older players to do a job again this summer.

Not saying we should sign him, but clearly he's been a good Champ player in the past. Might just be one of those players that comes in for a season to do a job.
  • Options
    Exactly, we could do a lot worse than Cook in the championship for a few years. Also, on what basis do you reckon that Hamer isn't good enough for the championship?

• Options
    I think Cook does have natural ability. Being the good man manager that Chris appears to be, maybe he'll be able to work with him and bring out what he really has got going for him. The difference with Mooney/Spring etc mentioned above is that they just don't have that natural quality/ability. I think Cook could be a good signing at Championship level.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    If not for injuries Lee Cook would certainly have played in the Premier League and maybe even England.
    Really ?
  • Options
    We have all gone Lee Cook crazy