Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test

Comments

• Options
    183-4
  • Options
    183-4

Thanks.
  • Options
    215-5 Swann takes a wicket 1st ball again.
  • Options
    What a ball from Swann and the Sri Lankans are now 5 down! Game really on now!
  • Options
    215-6 Swann bowls another.
  • Options
    Swanny does it again!! Night-watchman Randiv falls clean bowled.
  • Options
    218-6 at stumps. SL lead by 33 runs.
  • Options
    Swann - England's best ever spinner?
  • Options
    I think J C Laker and D L Underwood may have something to say about that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How can anyone really compare players of entirely different generations, whether cricket,football or any other sport? The use of the phrase 'best ever' is unfair on those who played 50 or 60 years ago, especially when the television/film coverage of yesteryear was almost non-existent. Swann is a very good spinner and his ability to get wickets in his opening over is uncanny but 'best ever'????
  • Options
    Agree with Chirpy. It's just a shame that Swann didn't break into the Test side till he was 28/29. Very respectable figures but perhaps more important is his ability to take wickets at vital times.
  • Options
    ANyone know why there's no Hotspot?
  • Options
    I think J C Laker and D L Underwood may have something to say about that.
    Laker and Deadly were both top bowlers, but both played on uncovered pitches and against batsmen with normal sized bats.

Swann plays on covered pitches that rarely deteriorate to anything like the degree they used to and batsmen play with monster weighted bats.

To date Swann has 180 wickets in 40 tests at 28.5 - that's a top record.

Laker had a very similar record to Swann with 193 wickets in 46 tests but at an average of 21.2

Underwood had 297 wickets in 86 matches at 25.8 - the best of the bunch but if Swann plays another five years he will get close to him.
  • Options
    ANyone know why there's no Hotspot?
    I believe that the home country has to pay for the facility & SL couldn't/didn't want to pay/afford it.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Actually I think Hotspot has been totaly dropped for now by the ICC as it is not reliable enough at the moment. It's too inconsistent and dosen't always show due to various reasons due to conditions on the day. If the technology can be improved it may be used again in the future.

I really dislike the whole DRS and wish it was dropped.
  • Options
    240-7 Swann just got jayawar (gave up trying to spell his name) caught Cook.
  • Options
    242-8, Swann bowled the other Jayawar (still can't spell their names, sorry)
  • Options
    251-9 Patel got Hareth for 2 caught Anderson.
  • Options
    278 all out. Lunch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England should do this, if so, then we remain No 1 in the world !
  • Options
    0-1 Strauss 0.
  • Options
    Strauss out for 0 !!!
  • Options
    29-1, need 65 more....
  • Options
    31-2 Trott gone.
  • Options
    Looked out to me - couldnt understand why SL players didnt seem that interested
  • Options
    Actually I think Hotspot has been totaly dropped for now by the ICC as it is not reliable enough at the moment. It's too inconsistent and dosen't always show due to various reasons due to conditions on the day. If the technology can be improved it may be used again in the future.

Not what the commentators on Sky have been saying. As I said above, they say it's the home countries choice whether to use it or not & they have to pay for the cost themselves, which for SL apparently is not inconsiderable.
  • Options

Not what the commentators on Sky have been saying. As I said above, they say it's the home countries choice whether to use it or not & they have to pay for the cost themselves, which for SL apparently is not inconsiderable.
    Agree with CE, its not to do with its reliability - its more reliable than umpires !!
    Its to do with the (non unsubstantial) cost of Hotspot - which for Sri Lankan Cricket Board (which recently went into administration) decided was too prohibitive. Thats another reason why they pumped up the admission prices for this series, because they knew they had a captive audience of 5,000 England fans, and thats why they upped the price from 5 pounds equivalent to 25 - quite a hike, but still much cheaper than tickets in England (my tix for Lords this summer cost me 80 pounds plus admin fee !)
    What everyone is saying is that the ICC makes a colossal profit out of cricket, and that they should 'buy' all the DRS elements for every test match.

I think DRS is brilliant, provides more entertainment (tension whilst waiting for the decision), and also gets far more decisions right than umpires do - ok , its not 100 % but its a lot,lot better than the naked eye. Anyone who doesnt like DRS, in my eye, is either old-fashioned, or doesnt know cricket, or both. Its a nonsense to say that umpires are better than DRS, total Bsh*t.
  • Options
    Thermometer on camera shows 42 degrees in Colombo !!
  • Options
    KP on the march !