Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's The Boat Race today.

Comments

• Options
    Cracking photo of Matthew Pinsent giving the bloke evils today. You can just see what's going through his mind.

Anyway, a bloke called "Trenton" complaining about elitism. I'll wager the bloke wasn't brought up in a council house and went to a comprehensive with that moniker!
  • Options
    Cracking photo of Matthew Pinsent giving the bloke evils today. You can just see what's going through his mind.

Anyway, a bloke called "Trenton" complaining about elitism. I'll wager the bloke wasn't brought up in a council house and went to a comprehensive with that moniker!
    Public school and then London School of Economics. I would say both fairly elite establishments!!
  • Options

Public school and then London School of Economics. I would say both fairly elite establishments!!
    I met one of the leading lights of the the Socialst Workers Party once, he was like that and drove a porsche.Knob.
    Anyway, if anyone does fancy rowing, the Curlew club in Greenwich has been going strong for years now and i don't think there's anything elitist about it.
  • Options
    I was looking down the conspiracy theory route.One of the teams was 5/2 on and Im wondering if the bookies paid out??
  • Options
    Trenton Oldfield. What an absolute tosser. Needs a slap. On a more serious note, a rower collapsed after the race was rerun. This wouldn't have happened if he hadn't swam across. So, 3 years in Wandsworth with a few nights eating his pillow whilst big Shirley and the boys have their way and he could claim to be helping the lowly types. When I grew up on St Pauls Cray I knew a lot of Trentons. Good old English working class name. Nearest he got to St Pauls Cray is St Pauls Churchyard !! Had to get that in.....
  • Options

Boat Race protester Trenton Oldfield has been refused leave to remain in the UK after the Home Office decided his presence was not "conducive to the public good".

The Australian, who disrupted last year's University Boat Race by swimming into the path of the crews, was jailed for six months for his actions.

Oldfield, who was watched by millions of television viewers as he halted the annual race on the Thames between Oxford and Cambridge universities, was found guilty at London's Isleworth Crown Court of causing a public nuisance.

During his trial, Oldfield told the jury the race was a symbol of elitism and that London was blighted by inequality.

A Home Office spokesman said: "Those who come to the UK must abide by our laws. We refused this individual leave to remain because we do not believe his presence in this country is conducive to the public good."

Oldfield, whose British wife Deepa Naik is expecting a child, told the Guardian he had appealed against the decision.

He said: "No one was expecting this. I have a tier one visa, as a highly skilled migrant, and I was sentenced to less than a year. The lawyer said I had nothing to worry about because it was less than a year. It feels to me that this is a very vindictive decision, very political and very much an overreaction."

He added: "Before bringing their verdict, the jury asked the judge if she could be lenient. The probation officer recommended a non-custodial sentence. The sentence was excessive, but the judge also said I have contributed positively to life in this country."

Sentencing Oldfield in October last year Judge Anne Molyneux said he had ruined the race for everyone: "You caused delay and disruption to it and to the members of the public who had gone to watch it and to enjoy the spectacle of top athletes competing."

Adding that Oldfield's actions had endangered his life and those of others, the judge said: "Your offence was planned. It was deliberate. It was disproportionate. It was dangerous
  • Options
    Bit harsh kicking him out of the country...never going to survive the appeal.
  • Options
    if true, i can think of a lot more deserving people to be 'lobbed out' and who's presence is not "conducive to the public good" than him that's for sure, shocking!
  • Options
    Don't mess with the toffs then. What a load of rowlocks.
  • Options
    There are some that think a criminal conviction should mean leaving the country, irrespective of the circumstances. I'm not a million miles from that view... he should have known his actions would have consequences, so I'm not too sympathetic. Just hope his wife can go to Aus. Wouldn't want to split a family up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good kick the no good tosser out make people think twice before making ridiculous political protests

Who did he think he was the prick the boat race is a symbol of british sport and especially london sport

He didnt think of his wife and unborn child before he dived into the thames or putting emergency service personel into danger had he got into trouble whilst swimming

Hopefully he will lose his appeal and we wont
    Have to pay for him or his child or his wife

The cost of schooling and medical care that they all could use is more than his ticket is worth

Respect the laws or piss off

• Options

Good kick the no good tosser out make people think twice before making ridiculous political protests

Who did he think he was the prick the boat race is a symbol of british sport and especially london sport

He didnt think of his wife and unborn child before he dived into the thames or putting emergency service personel into danger had he got into trouble whilst swimming

The cost of schooling and medical care that they all could use is more than his ticket is worth

London sport? You're having a laugh ain't you.

By the way how old are you? You write as if you're very old indeed.
  • Options
    I aint old and i am serious
  • Options

This 1000%. Was thinking exactly the same thing when I read about him bleating on that his wife was pregnant. F***ing twat.
  • Options
    he'll win the appeal unfortunately .. he's married to a Brit, Deepa Naik, who is pregnant according to the BBC
  • Options
    'I have a tier one visa, as a highly skilled migrant'

And yet he's not allowed to stay because his presence in this country is conducive to the public good? He brings more good to this country than a good number of the English population by working alone!

It's very doubtful that someone invading the FA Cup final would receive such a harsh penalty, yet disrupt the upper classes and suddenly you're booted out. Shows the exact inequality he was protesting against.
  • Options

I aint old and i am serious

You are and you're not.

• Options
    I dare say that a Brit in Oz on a temporary visa would not have his/her visa renewed if they disrupted a major sporting event, for example perhaps the Melbourne Cup. Though the annoying thing is that is he were (say) from Mexico or Argentina on a Spanish passport he could stay as long as he liked
  • Options
    How rude i am serious 100% i hope he has to pay for his own ticket aswell

I dont care if his wife is pregnant he didnt think of her diving in the thames its not exactly a clean warm non tidal current river

And the boat race is a british and london sport its unique imo
  • Options

Lol...the BR is a competition between two bunches of sporting mercenaries who nominally are receiving an education at either Oxford or Cambridge, which we the tax payer are footing.

It ceased to be a sporting event years ago when they started recruiting rowers who's sole ability was to be able to row a boat over a 4m or so distance faster than anyone else.

And why do Oxford and Cambridge always get to the final?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I dont care if his wife is pregnant he didnt think of her diving in the thames its not exactly a clean warm non tidal current river

I don't know how much you know about human biology but the event in question took place well over 9 months ago...

• Options
    Who cares we are a country steeped in history and tradition those who like the boat race for what it is are also tax payers like myself and i
    Have no issue paying for it

I am also going to be paying towards his wifes health care i also paid towards the trial that this shit caused

• Options

And the boat race is a british and london sport its unique imo

It's not unique, there are rowing races on most major urban rivers. Or those near universities. In fact the River Laune at the end of my garden hosts rowing regattas regularly. There are inter varsity rowing races in the USA and probably all over Europe as well.
    It has never been "London" except for location, it's participants being from two other cities that have rivers perfectly able to host the race. London's job has been to marvel at how those over us are so athletic.

As to the protester - yes punish him but not his child. I'd have thought a fine or community service of some sort would fit the bill here.
  • Options
    Obviously rowing is everywhere i aimt stupid the whole race its pomp and ceremony

The fact our two best educational institutions are involved and on the greatest river in this country which is in the best city in the world
    No one is punishing the child they can go too

• Options
    He has a very annoying face.........take him to the Tower!
  • Options
    The boat race is unique in that highly tuned athletes race at the intensity of a 2000 metre Olympic final , but carry on for another 3 miles. Modern multi lane courses cannot replicate the mentail strain of a side by side race. The race could not be replicated on the Cam or in Oxford due to locks. Unfortunately he will win on appeal once baby is born, despite the obvious intent behind the pregnancy.
  • Options

Obviously rowing is everywhere i aimt stupid the whole race its pomp and ceremony

The fact our two best educational institutions are involved and on the greatest river in this country which is in the best city in the world
    No one is punishing the child they can go too

What pomp and what ceremony?

Of course the child would be punished - either by being uprooted for no real need or by being separated from it's father.

You are priceless. Of all the things to get in a lather about you choose this.
  • Options
    I aint in a lather i think the guy should be slung out end of

I dont care about his unborn child the same as he never about his wife or the families of those who would have had to get in the water and rescue him had he got into trouble

I am fed up of people coming here disrupting people going about their business and then bleating on about not leaving as its unfair

If you think its a harsh punishment thats your choice

The pomp and ceremony is part of the boat race its enjoying something like mentioned above is unique in the greatest city in the world

• Options

Well said NLA pal!
  • Options
    The UK is basically kicking out someone for jumping in a river. How can that ever be justified?

Would've liked to have seen the prison sentence an English person gets for protesting. Probably community service.