Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v The Champions Post Match Reaction 2-2

Comments

• Options
    I am a little annoyed that we played half a reserve side. I don't want to sound greedy, but I really wanted to beat Fulham's record of 101 points and I think we could have done if we'd approached the game today with the same determination that we have showed in the league all season.
  • Options
    disappointed with the point, especially after being 2 up, but pleased they still have the 101 pts to aim for next week. have been concerned that our last game could turn into a panto (a poor one) if we hit 100+ points before
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Cracking day in Preston. Shame about the result as we were so comfortable in the the first half half it was unreal. Would have like to have seem Hayes given more time . We completely took the foot of the gas in the second half.
    Fantastic away support and a brilliant party atmosphere.
    Pleased for Graham Alexander . Very similar to Powell's last game for Charlton.
    Good day all round.

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice pics Beds.

And nice to see a fair few of our fans entering into the spirit and going up in fancy dress. The ones dressed as old people were particularly impressive.
  • Options
    Great 1st half performance, one of the best of the season & could have had 4 or 5 - great passing & movement and the front 2 were awesome.

2nd half was p**s poor - don't think the team left the changing room & thats p**sses me off - given another 2 mins & we would have lost 3-2. I don't care if we were already promoted & are champions - players still need to put in a shift. Shame really as that has left a bitter taste in the mouth. Don't think SCP "tinkering" with the team helped - although we now know that Sullivan is not the back up keeper for next season.

Finally - don't bother with Valley Gold as our youngsters aren't going to get a game..............just spend the monry on useless loanees like Cook instead. All I learnt from him today is that his injury prone..............as if we didn't know that already !!
  • Options
    Ref wanted them to get something and they did. Oh well good day! Sullivan will be off in the summer
  • Options
    Golfie is back, Golfie is back, hello, hello!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half was really good, second half fell to peices, thought the game changed for the worst when cook came off cos it changed the balance completely and I thought he looked a real threat. The atmosphere was brilliant, and the Poznan was a different experience, wonder if there's any pictures/videos of that?
  • Options
    First half brilliant. 2nd half shit.

Evina brilliant. Sullivan shit.

Haynes also played well.

That's all you really need to know about the match.
  • Options
    I wasn't there and I am not bothered. The reserves held their in a competitive fixture away from home in conditions which Northern teams are used to (more so than us).
    Actually the conditions up north were rather different to the conditions back home. No rain at all and the game was played mostly in bright sunshine!

I understand that after a season like this it might seem churlish to moan about drawing today, but I am a little disappointed with this result nevertheless and even more so with the performance. Preston were poor - deservedly 2-0 down at halftime, they gave no sign that they had it in them to make a game of it. 100 points were in the bag. But in the second half, when we were looking for a performance to underline our league champions status, Preston simply stepped up a gear and we couldn't respond. We collapsed. We could barely get out of our half and when we did were too often caught offside. I don't think their goalie had a single shot to save in the second half. Our forwards had no service, the defence was panicked into making rash, wayward clearances and for the last quarter had wave after wave of pressure to deal with. Had it not been for a fantastic goalline block by someone (? Taylor) we would have lost. This season we could have gained the most points any team has ever won in this league, why is it not disappointing after our record breaking performances that we won't?

And what has SCP learned from all this? Did he really need this game to discover what players like Hayes and Taylor and Green are capable of (or not)? Is he going to base his decision on who goes or stays on this one game? I believe this was a wasted opportunity - with players like Wiggins, Morrison and Kermogant and dare I say it, Hamer, in the side I don't think we would have surrendered as lamely as we did or allowed Preston to run the game in the second half like they were the champions and we were a bunch of clueless wannabes.
  • Options
    Great 1st half performance, one of the best of the season & could have had 4 or 5 - great passing & movement and the front 2 were awesome.

2nd half was p**s poor - don't think the team left the changing room & thats p**sses me off - given another 2 mins & we would have lost 3-2. I don't care if we were already promoted & are champions - players still need to put in a shift. Shame really as that has left a bitter taste in the mouth. Don't think SCP "tinkering" with the team helped - although we now know that Sullivan is not the back up keeper for next season.

Finally - don't bother with Valley Gold as our youngsters aren't going to get a game..............just spend the monry on useless loanees like Cook instead. All I learnt from him today is that his injury prone..............as if we didn't know that already !!
    God, life must be so hard for you. I can't believe how anyone can be so bloody miserable. We've won the league in record fashion & your'e still bloody miserable. I bet you'd moan if you won the lottery.
  • Options
    graham alexander received the man of the match award.......... ummmmmm
    Pure sentimentality and why not. nobody else from either side really deserved it.
  • Options
    The ones dressed as old people were particularly impressive.
    LOL
  • Options
    Shame we let the lead slip but it was always going to happen for Alexander like that. The 100 points looked nice while it lasted, but anyone thinking thhat you can judge our back-up players on one irrelevant game at the tail end of a winning season might just be an idiot. We learnt nothing from this game, except that keeping a consistent team is the best way to achieve success, which everyone already knew anyway. A win would've been nice, but it wasn't to be. Glad to see Haynes get his first goal though. Always important to get the first one out of the way
  • Options
    Liked Evina, can't see him dislodging Wiggins but good to know he is there in reserve. Thought Hollands controlled midfield first half and Green put in a decent shift. Officials were awful, lino seemed to just ignore the ball when it went out for a throw.

Draw was a fair result on the whole. All in all really enjoyed the day and although a little miffed we lost the result, the party atmosphere made up for it for me, bloke next to me on the train home brought me a beer, nice way to cap it off!

Roll on Hartlepool
  • Options
    It was a nothing game, had a great day, the result meant very little. Was actually happy Alexander got his goal as weird as it sounds because I respect him as a player, and it doesn't really affect us

Wiggins has been carrying a knock for a while so resting him was the right decision. I imagine Kermo appreciated the rest too. I would rather go out in style with a full strength team next week, and if resting a few today facilitated that than I don't mind.

Fair play to everyone there today, great atmosphere and fancy dress. Also thought Preston were respectful on the most part, numerous complimentary mentions on the PA and the guard of honour were appreciated.

One last thing: the butter and potato pie. Stunning
  • Options
    It was a nothing game, had a great day, the result meant very little. Was actually happy Alexander got his goal as weird as it sounds because I respect him as a player, and it doesn't really affect us

Wiggins has been carrying a knock for a while so resting him was the right decision. I imagine Kermo appreciated the rest too. I would rather go out in style with a full strength team next week, and if resting a few today facilitated that than I don't mind.

Fair play to everyone there today, great atmosphere and fancy dress. Also thought Preston were respectful on the most part, numerous complimentary mentions on the PA and the guard of honour were appreciated.

One last thing: the butter and potato pie. Stunning
    Ahhh, you sampled our very own delicacy, the butter pie. Beautiful, aren't they? - Especially with grated Crumbly Lancashire cheese melted on top.

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed the day, and good luck in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe that people are seriously that bothered about the result and can't see it for what it was
    SCP wanted to give some players, that had played a part in our record breaking season, a run out and for me it just adds a little more to the spirit within the club
    I wasn't there but can remember losing 2-0 to west brom when we were last champiions not giving a monkeys cum about the result cos it didn't matter
    This is 3rd tier football, this team is Champions 2011/2012, that is the only thing that matters(even more than away numbers!!:-)
    the nightmare is over , the shame of being the lowest south london team for 3 seasons running will (hopefully)stop next year
    Enjoy next week , it doesn't really matter to us we've been converted but it does matter to the newbies that we may be able to convert into following the religion that is CHARLTON ATHLETIC FOOTBALL CLUB
    These are rare rare times, as a footy fan , we can only finish top! so sit back and relax cos if you can't do that now then you should give up going footy cos it really isn't good for your health

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
  • Options
    The Rod on Tour Group at Euston

• Options
    CP had a lot of banter pre match
  • Options
    Even posing with Charlton Womens players
  • Options
    Guard of honour for the champions + Graham Alexander
  • Options
    Players muted at the end
  • Options
    12.40 got home. Left at 6.40 in the morning.

Great day out with some real memorable moments. Fianlly got back to Dartford with mins to the last train to sidcup, then got off the train and 14 mates in the local curry were waiting for me to sweep up their left overs.

Cracking day, and massive thanks to @gumbo s old man for driving and putting up with us idiots.
  • Options
    nearly made it to Preston, made a mad dash from Egypt for this but it wasn't to be. I don't think anyone can bemoan that a guy who was playing his last ever game after a thousand professionally appearances scored for his club to nick a draw. good for him I say! love that about football.
  • Options
    Played well in first half, poor in second half.

Sorry but thought Sullivan was awful, basic catching, setting wall at free kick.

Still had a great weekend (although thought Blackpool was horrible place).

Support was fantastic, great fancy dress, great singing, nice pub.

Can't wait for Hartlepool.
  • Options
    I thought our fans were great yesterday had to laugh at those preston kids at the back of their stand trying to large it with us.draw was prob fair result ref gave them everything in second half