Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v The Champions Post Match Reaction 2-2

Comments

• Options
    The Preston players clapped our team out? Bloody hell, fair play.
  • Options
    The Preston players clapped our team out? Bloody hell, fair play.
    Yes, i thought that showed some class from their club and players. And we showed it in return for Alexanders cameo and even his goal. A great day, another away point, thats '50 away points'. I've done 11 league aways this season and only the Hudds defeat to show for a season of travelling. I doubt we'll get as successful a haul from 23 away again in my lifetime and it's been a wonderful year, including being able to introduce my daughter to the addicks on tour. Her mother says she should support The Massive, but she's having none of it. She's now an Addick and proud to wear the colours. Looking forward to a packed home crowd next week and a chance to thank all at the club for the journey Powell has started.
  • Options
    I can't believer there are people on here having a pop at the teams performance, staggering really.

Its a bit like having a pop at a batsman who has scored 250 runs for holing out at deep mid-wicket.

These are dead rubber games, just sit back, enjoy it, have a laugh and breathe it all in, this does not happen all that often.
  • Options
    Went to the game with the usual gang and had a brilliant day! We went by train and it was so easy and nobody had to drive. Found good pub in Preston and the singing started there. Charlton fans in good spirit.
    Was a bit disappointed at 8 changes to the team but it worked first half and so no complaints. Second half very different and all the action at the other end. Preston stepped up their physical side I thought.The ref seemed determined that Preston should score and gave some odd decisions but no one could deny Alexander his swansong!
    The Preston guard of honour was a really nice touch and I didn,t expect it of Westley. All credit to them. Our fans were in great voice and fancy dress! Anyone get pictures of the conga?
    I loved the whole day and the result was disappointing but will not take the edge off a great day. Very proud and can't wait for next week's party! The Reds are Going Up!
  • Options
    I cant remember a game where we were enjoying ourselves so much and not being that bothered what happened on the pitch, I had a great day from start to finish, Nick Cambell who came down from Dundee loved it and felt there was a real connection between the team players and crowd that is a rare thing in modern football. Singing "thats why your manager" to SCP when he missed a shot in the warm up was a great example of this.

Eight changes and taking our foot off the gas 2nd half did tarnish the day a smidge but for me hardly worth a mention.

As Nick says, whatever Charlton do Dundee do it a little worse, they too were 2-1 up away at Ayr yesterday with 5 minutes to go, as Alexander was celebrating yesterday (and who can begrudge him that) Dundee were conceeding to loose 3-2! Were looking to sponsor one of each others players next year, cant wait for next week should be a cracker....
  • Options
    Good first half performance against a poor Preston side looked completely comfortable and could have been more than 2-0 up at the break.

Second half best forgotten and the last minute equaliser was probably karma for the number of last minute winners we have managed over the season.

I feel sorry for Sullivan but ultimately each time he has played he has struggled - whether that is the lack of regular first team action I don't know but when you get your chance you have to show what you can do and this season he has failed to do it. Yesterday his handling was poor even in a first half where Preston rarely threatened. Seeing him fumbling about gave Preston the hope they needed that if they got shots in on target they would score, which of course they did. Alexander goal was served up on a plate, poor wall (even from viewing from the other end of the pitch) there was only one place he could put it and an extra man on the end of the wall was shunned and the ball was in the back of the net. Can't risk him as back up to Ben next season - has not impressed in any of his few outings.

Support was fantastic rang out some old dittys, good to see so many in fancy dress and the Poznam was a great bit of fun.

Friday night in Blackpool not to be recommended what a dump! Vegas of the North....you're having a laugh!

Bring on more fun next week v Hartlepool and lets hope for a less generous performance and make that 101 points tally - won't get the chance too often to break the magic ton-up in points.
  • Options
    Loved it when the three mounted coppers rode down the touchline prior to kickoff, to chants of... "Goodbye horse, goodbye horse".
  • Options
    First half brilliant. 2nd half shit.

Evina brilliant. Sullivan shit.

Haynes also played well.

That's all you really need to know about the match.
    That'll do for me!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I can't believer there are people on here having a pop at the teams performance, staggering really.

Its a bit like having a pop at a batsman who has scored 250 runs for holing out at deep mid-wicket.

These are dead rubber games, just sit back, enjoy it, have a laugh and breathe it all in, this does not happen all that often.
    A more apt cricketing analogy would be being on 400 runs in a test match, needing one more to hold the all-time record individual score, then being run out going for a risky single. It was a great day yesterday, a lot of fun, but it will probably be a long time until we get another chance to hold a record like this (highest number of points ever in this league) and we threw it away as though it didn't matter. I know a lot of people couldn't care less about that. I just find it irritating that we blew it because of unnecessary team changes leading to a substandard performance in the penultimate game of the season. Ah well, I'll be over it by next Saturday...

Really pleased for Alexander.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ahh the famous butter pie - I wonder how many gave it a try? It may not sound the most impressive thing, but once tasted will be loved forever. I live in Lancashire and get friends from back home asking me to bring some back with me when I visit...having one for breakfast is a great way to ease away a hangover, that's for sure!
  • Options
    Highlight was sarcastically cheering and celebrating when Preston scored their first goal
  • Options
    Highlight was sarcastically cheering and celebrating when Preston scored their first goal
    SCP and the rest of the staffs crossbar challenge was very good aswell.
  • Options
    Only receolection of the game seems to be how shit Sullivan looked.

Anyway, Champions!
  • Options
    Sullivan got man of the match and a place in the team of the week in The Sun. Unbelievable !
  • Options
    Sullivan got man of the match and a place in the team of the week in The Sun. Unbelievable !
    Does seem bizarre.

Whilst it would not upset me to see Sullivan go in the summer I think the criticism of him is harsh. Another player who has had little game time this season and he come into a game and makes similar errors to those that Hamer was making not too long ago despite runs of games.

At this level Sullivan can do it, we know because when he did it this time last season for us we wanted him to be in front of our own home grown keeper and were disappointing when he was dropped for Elliots return and worried that he would not sign. Whilst we would like to see players come in and take their chance on the odd one off game that they play it does not always happen and sadly for JS it did not happen for him in one of the positions where it matters most yesterday

• Options
    anyone know how many we officially took yesterday?
  • Options
    well I'm glad that most of you are happy that we played poorly for 45 mins and threw away a 2-0 lead, but then some of you didn't spend £17 on a ticket and £30-odd for petrol.

Just wonder if you'll feel the same next week if we do the same in front of a 26,000 full house ??? I for one will chuckle VERY LOUDLY !!!

C'mon the ' pool !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    CP made it known that he wants his strongest team out for the final home game and would be making changes for the Preston game. He did as he said he would yesterday and I'm sure he will do as he said next Saturday.
    There were also many on here who were hoping that the squad players would be given a run-out as we have now won the league title.

It is impossible to please all the people, all the time.
  • Options
    well I'm glad that most of you are happy that we played poorly for 45 mins and threw away a 2-0 lead, but then some of you didn't spend £17 on a ticket and £30-odd for petrol.

Just wonder if you'll feel the same next week if we do the same in front of a 26,000 full house ??? I for one will chuckle VERY LOUDLY !!!

I paid alot more than you plus expenses for beer and the night out etc and as I said before the game, I couldn't give a fcuk what the score was. They're champions now, End of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I paid 17 quid for a ticket and 25 quid for coach ...and then for personal reasons couldn't go so lost the money and listened on the radio instead ...and you know what? I couldn't care less because we are champions and that's all that matters to me.
  • Options

Is that all you spent? My trip to Preston cost loads more, so stop moaning
  • Options
    edited April 2012

You can chuckle ? You should try it some time Golfie, you may actually enjoy yourself. Alternatively get some anti-depressants.
    If you're not happy with Charlton right now you never will be.
  • Options
    Everyone please Ignore Golfaddick. He is our resident troll and none of his posts deserve a response .
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    £30 - odd for petrol? I spend that on petrol going to the f****g SHOP! Surprised you can afford a car, never mind golf. Weirdo.

And how do you chuckle "very loudly"?
  • Options

http://www.samaritans.org/
  • Options
    What a fun old day out, Double Denim, Poznan, loads of singing, good weather. The footy was pretty good too
  • Options
    There's more to life golfie than money

If
  • Options
    I spent £100,000 contemplating and researching going to Preston, another £200,000 on computers and back-up computers because I couldn't go to Preston and wanted to be sure I could follow it online. I am annoyed that as a club, management and players, we didn't have the good grace to lose 3-0 with Alexander getting a hat trick.
  • Options
    More sloppy journalism from the BBC:

"Preston's Graham Alexander brought to an end his 22-year career with an injury-time equaliser at Charlton."

"at Charlton"? Sloppy.