Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v The Champions Post Match Reaction 2-2

Comments

• Options
    RobRob
    edited April 2012
    I can't believer there are people on here having a pop at the teams performance, staggering really.

Its a bit like having a pop at a batsman who has scored 250 runs for holing out at deep mid-wicket.

These are dead rubber games, just sit back, enjoy it, have a laugh and breathe it all in, this does not happen all that often.
    A more apt cricketing analogy would be being on 400 runs in a test match, needing one more to hold the all-time record individual score, then being run out going for a risky single. It was a great day yesterday, a lot of fun, but it will probably be a long time until we get another chance to hold a record like this (highest number of points ever in this league) and we threw it away as though it didn't matter. I know a lot of people couldn't care less about that. I just find it irritating that we blew it because of unnecessary team changes leading to a substandard performance in the penultimate game of the season. Ah well, I'll be over it by next Saturday...

Really pleased for Alexander.

I think Chris got it right yesterday. He also wanted the record but he put faith in his squad and it didn't quite work out but so what! It's things like this that builds togetherness and obviously for him this is important. If promotion and/or being champions was on the line no way would he have risked it but at the end of the day he choose to honour the players who have performed this year as part of the squad rather than solely going for the points. Sound decision. Next week the rest of the squad (ie. the first teamers) will get their chance and I can't see any reason why we won't match Fulham's record with a superior GD.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    well I'm glad that most of you are happy that we played poorly for 45 mins and threw away a 2-0 lead, but then some of you didn't spend £17 on a ticket and £30-odd for petrol.

Just wonder if you'll feel the same next week if we do the same in front of a 26,000 full house ??? I for one will chuckle VERY LOUDLY !!!

C'mon the ' pool !!!!!!!!!!
    I agree with Golfie,
    The teams shit
    Powells shit
    Our supporters are shit
    Winning the league is shit
    Everything is shit.

And I for one will not chuckle VERY LOUDLY or even smile when we pick up the trophy as League 1 champions, with at least 98 possibly 101 points, in front of a 26,000 full house.

• Options
    ;-)
  • Options
    A good day out. Freezing outside the ground but inside we basked nicely in the sunshine.

Good crossbar challenge comp with Powelly and Dyer pre match.

2-0 and cruising at h-t thanks to decent finishes from Haynes and N'Guessen thanks to poor Preston defending. Cook was then forced off and I really think Jackson shoud've been introduced then as we looked a little unbalanced with both Green and Wagstaff on the pitch.

At the start of the 2nd half Preston brought on a pacy winger for his debut who looked pretty decent. Ex Bolton right back Nicky Hunt then cracked in a low drive and the turning point of the match then occurred when Taylor clearly had his shirt tugged in the area but both ref and lino missed it. The officials, especially the lino on the left who never seemed to want to award us a throw in and gave some very tight offside decisions, certainly didn't do us any favours.

5 mins left and Alexander was brought on. Now I'm all for sentiment but you knew, you just knew that the ref would fashion a dodgy pen or free kick in a decent position and so it proved. As sure as night follows day the man of the moment curled a beauty around the wall past Sullivan, who'd flapped at everything all day.

Had a quick chat with Henry Irving and Alex Wright post match and then on the coach home.

• Options
    Sullivan should have saved the shot from hunt imo
  • Options
    Sullivan should have saved the shot from hunt imo
    Thought that the first time I saw it. Watch it again. It gets a slight deflection.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Played some delightful stuff in the first half and could easily have gone in 4 up.
    I think we thought it was just a stroll in the park and that the job had more ot less been done.
    We came out second half with far less intensity and they came out with far more......despite this they still really didn't look like scoring...and neither did we.
    However, as often happens, a speculative shot out of the blue through a crowded penalty area (was Sullivan unsighted....possibly?) resulted in a somewhat 'streaky' goal that (at that stage), they hardly deservered...but from then on they had the precious goal they needed to give them some new found belief.
    Yes, we should have won from the position we were in but I'm not too dissapointed really and in a funny way one simply couldn't begrudge Alexander his goal and a fairy tale finish to a fine and respectable career by a good honest pro.
    I'll be far more dissapointed in the Preston result if we don't get to 100 points on Saturday as we've achieved everything else we set out to do.
    100 points plus, would be a little bit of extra icing on the cake.
  • Options
    Alexander robs us with the last kick of his career .. who wrote that script !

Reminds me of a certain left back who scored the winning goal vs Coventry at the Valley with practically his last professional kick! :-)
  • Options
    Everyone please Ignore Golfaddick. He is our resident troll and none of his posts deserve a response .
    Hear! Hear!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A good day out. Freezing outside the ground but inside we basked nicely in the sunshine.

Good crossbar challenge comp with Powelly and Dyer pre match.

2-0 and cruising at h-t thanks to decent finishes from Haynes and N'Guessen thanks to poor Preston defending. Cook was then forced off and I really think Jackson shoud've been introduced then as we looked a little unbalanced with both Green and Wagstaff on the pitch.

At the start of the 2nd half Preston brought on a pacy winger for his debut who looked pretty decent. Ex Bolton right back Nicky Hunt then cracked in a low drive and the turning point of the match then occurred when Taylor clearly had his shirt tugged in the area but both ref and lino missed it. The officials, especially the lino on the left who never seemed to want to award us a throw in and gave some very tight offside decisions, certainly didn't do us any favours.

5 mins left and Alexander was brought on. Now I'm all for sentiment but you knew, you just knew that the ref would fashion a dodgy pen or free kick in a decent position and so it proved. As sure as night follows day the man of the moment curled a beauty around the wall past Sullivan, who'd flapped at everything all day.

That's pretty much how I'd sum up the day, Tommy.

Just wonder how Wiggy & Morro felt at being left out of the team having played all the previous games....seemed 2 changes too many to me.

Understand that the younger element , the fancy dress brigade ( some great ones BTW) and those who rarely travel away /like a good old drink pre match , enjoyed another great day . But as a regular traveller, I left the ground feeling a tad disappointed - a bit like " after the Lord Mayor's show" IYKWIM.

Of course I'm over the moon at the achievements this season and the prospect of playing in the Championship next season etc etc . But this game seemed an unecessary hiccup in our journey onwards & upwards after the euphoria at Carlisle and again at The Valley last Saturday with the Big Celebration to come on the 5th. That's the best way I can explain it.

And it's not a moan , lads & lasses. Just an observation ....sorry if I offend.

• Options
    Why did that go all blue ??????
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    We were so on top first half it was embarrassing. 2nd half they pushed up, play a very high line and got in our faces and in doing so took control. Shame Alexander's goal was an equaliser not just a consolation but pleased for him.

But on a more important note it was a cracking weekend with Alex Wright, Princess Fiona, DannyCAFC and Norman Smith. Ticket inspector on train from Blackpool to Preston turned out to be Mark Tivey's brother. I think he was surprised we remembered him. then Danny and Norman ended the night playing poker with a Middlesboro first teamer. Joe Bennett we think.

The fancy dress, the double denim, the catholic club, the cross bar challenge, the pozan, "Bring on the Champions", Soundsasa£ one man pitch invasion (blag of the season)= great day in a great weekend. OK, didn't get 100 points, yet. Big deal.
  • Options
    so what happened to Mark Tivey?
  • Options
    Was managing in China for a while and now lives between Sweden and Spain were he has a bar
  • Options
    I can't believer there are people on here having a pop at the teams performance, staggering really.

Its a bit like having a pop at a batsman who has scored 250 runs for holing out at deep mid-wicket.

These are dead rubber games, just sit back, enjoy it, have a laugh and breathe it all in, this does not happen all that often.
    A more apt cricketing analogy would be being on 400 runs in a test match, needing one more to hold the all-time record individual score, then being run out going for a risky single. It was a great day yesterday, a lot of fun, but it will probably be a long time until we get another chance to hold a record like this (highest number of points ever in this league) and we threw it away as though it didn't matter.

to me using your example it's like getting 401 runs against bangladesh (third tier)
  • Options
    Didn't mark tiveys brother go to eaglesfield
  • Options
    It was very fitting that Alexander got his last minute goal, a nice moment for football (leaving aside partisan thoughts)

Preston were TERRIBLE in the first half, but much much better in the second, but I thought it was a useful exercise in judging some of our reserves.
    Sullivan was shaky, Evina was better but gave the ball away too much, Haynes looked dangerous. Taylor and Cort are a bit too similar to play together. I thought Cook played really well until he was forced off injured. Hollands was good in the 1st half, but in the second he and Pritchard got overun.

Reading the Football League paper on the train today, they gave Solly 8 and Sullivan 4!

Oh, and the Butter and potato pie was as dull as it sounds!
  • Options
    edited April 2012

A more apt cricketing analogy would be being on 400 runs in a test match, needing one more to hold the all-time record individual score, then being run out going for a risky single. It was a great day yesterday, a lot of fun, but it will probably be a long time until we get another chance to hold a record like this (highest number of points ever in this league) and we threw it away as though it didn't matter.

to me using your example it's like getting 401 runs against bangladesh (third tier)
    Quite. Just as I said, as though it didn't matter.

Look, I'm happy to agree to disagree on this one. I can't help the twinge of disappointment I felt at the team's capitulation and the result on Saturday any more than some people can help not caring about the number of points we get or any further records we might or might not set this season. There's no right or wrong answer. It's just that in the 45 years I've supported Charlton, I have seen just two championship wins - others with still more years behind them, another twenty years even, haven't seen any more championships than that (although they might just have seen an FA Cup win). The point is that we have achieved very little in our history. We have laboured away in whatever division we've been in, occasionally having an unusually good year (or an unusally bad one), but rarely having a team who can make a name for themselves in history. The 97/98 team did, perhaps, but only because of the play-off final. The other championship winning team (1999/2000) is remembered as much for its end of season decline as for winning the title. But this team, the one we have now, has broken records all along the way. It has led the division in which it is playing for longer, I would guess, than any other Charlton team, certainly in living memory. It has won more games, conceded fewer goals, gained more points etc etc than any other previous team from SE7. It has convincingly won a league which contains some exceptionally strong sides and it had the chance to underline how good it is, to put the seal on its greatness, by setting the highest number of points any team has ever gained in this division. It blew it. You may think that doesn't matter, that this is a crap league which we're well out of. But I doubt very much if any of us will see another Charlton team have the opportunity to set a record like that. And any rare chance gone by, possibly forever, has to be a matter for regret.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I understand where you're coming from
    but to me the third tier is our lowest level and as great and meaningfull a season as this has been to US , realistically no one I know (1 orient fan apart) has even noticed the amount of points we've got and only goons from sheffield will be bothered and we're hardly 20 pts in front of them 2
    I for one are glad we didn't win the JPT it may have been a trophy but to me it would be a reminder of how low we had fallen
    As much as I love charlton the lower we go the less pride I have in our achievments and vice versa .......
    As you say agree to disagree and each to their own but I'm sure none of us really knew or cared before we got in the position who the record points holder was or how many it was for the 3rd tier
    and does anyone know who is the record holder (without googling) for the other leagues and with differing numbers in each league and 3 or 2 points for the win .... Who cares .....it's about promotion and winning them for me and that's what we've done !
    And you missed out the first ever Play Off final, that made a place in history , now that one game may have kept us alive and that meant something ................
  • Options
    There is also the consideration that, if we had reached 103 points, one day another team - Bournemouth or Coventry or some nondescript side like that - would beat that record and who then would remember that we had done it? But perhaps the point is that we would know. It would count when we talk in the future about that great side of 2011/12. You're right that supporters of other teams don't give a toss about other teams' achievements until they're in a position to emulate or beat them. I'm sure it's the same with the first play-off final. Who outside of Charlton or Leeds would remember that game, who took part in it or when it was? But we know because it's part of our history and we take pride in it as we should. And it's the same with what we've achieved this season. One day I hope you'll be proud of that too.
  • Options
    @bill_stumps in both the play off season and the Div 1 championship season we actually broke quite a few records such as wins in a row - 12 or was it 11 and lost to swindon on the 12th, we turned over a lot of hoodoos - 2 million years since we had won at wolves .. I did suggest to the communications team that a roll call of achievements and records broken be added to the end of the season video so we did not forget but it did not happen I am sure for good reason and so many of those achievements are forgotten. We will for a long time be able to refer to being the holder of the joint record of most points to be promoted with few will care even fewer will be concerned its not out right. That we wot promoted will be the ever lasting memory and thats why I am not concerned that we did not do it on Saturday .. it would have been nice but not crucial
  • Options
    Who said I'm not proud of what we've achieved this season ....I felt more pride in the play off winning seasons and being 2nd tier champions yes but we've been different gravy this season whether we end up on 98 -99 or 101 pts and if we had gotten 103 my pride level wouldn't have been different
  • Options
    edited April 2012

As much as I love charlton the lower we go the less pride I have in our achievments
    Fair point, Kap10.
  • Options
    At the start of the Season if you said that we would reach 98 points with a possible 101 and be promoted as Champions with a couple of games to spare i would have ripped your hand off.Despite drawing at Preston,i am still in party mode.As a supporter i would like us to win every game,but i really was not bothered by the Preston score.
  • Options
    It's true that whatever we achieve this hardly registers to fans of clubs higher up the league - went for a pint with two friends who support Premiership teams last week - Man U (he's okay - he grew up there) and A***nal - they both casually enquired how we were doing! League 1 isn't on their radar - why would it be I suppose - no matter how well we do we will not be playing them next season.
  • Options
    "Less" than = <

2012 champions give me less pride than 2000 champions .....
    Doesn't mean I'm not proud , hope that helps
  • Options
    More upset that the MASSIVES have overtaken Sheff UTD
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    well I'm glad that most of you are happy that we played poorly for 45 mins and threw away a 2-0 lead, but then some of you didn't spend £17 on a ticket and £30-odd for petrol.

Just wonder if you'll feel the same next week if we do the same in front of a 26,000 full house ??? I for one will chuckle VERY LOUDLY !!!

C'mon the ' pool !!!!!!!!!!
    I know, I know - don't rise to it, but ............

In the face of some very stiff competition this season, this post has got to win the award for "Wankiest post of the year!"