Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager

Comments

• Options
    Left quite underwhelmed by this... Fortunately can concentrate on charltons endeavors instead! can just picture us going out in the first round and roy sat there bashing his head against the wall...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think anyone can turn the current batch of players into world beaters. Unfortunately, at international level, the cheque book can't get you success. It's probably as good a choice as any. I just hope he clears out the team that failed so badly in South Africa and builds for the future. It's easy to forget that football is a team game and like any office it has to have the right bunch of people who want to work together. Give him a chance, I say.
  • Options
    Hope he gets it and takes it. Decent man and good manager who has international experience and tactical awareness. Redknapp has too much baggage and is tactically poor. We have half a chance of a decent run under Hodgson....but with the team we have, decent should be through the group games and maybe one more win. We are not going to win the thing.
    Strong suggestions this morning that Harry had turned them down, although I'm sure I heard yesterday he said he was 'surprised' they'd gone with Woy.

Hodgson's record is at best mixed, and whilst he's doing a decent enough job with West Brom you have to look at Blackburn's relegation a few years ago and Liverpool under him to wonder if he really is that wonderful, notwithstanding that he's probably one of only two English managers who could do the job.

The thing about Redknapp - and he's not my favourite football person by a long chalk - is that pretty much everywhere he's been he's improved the team on the pitch and playing a good brand of football to boot. He's done this with money and with no money. He's done it in the lower leagues and he's done it in the Prem with both small and big clubs. He may not be a master tactician a la Glenn Hoddle, but he certainly knows how to get the best out of his players and how to win games and you can't do that so consistently over a long period of time if you're tactically inept.

There may be a question of how he responds tactically within a game, or when he's up against the very best - but then do you think Wigan's recent run of form is about great tactics or inspiration and confidence? We've tried the great tacticians and failed. I think we might regret not plumping for a manager with a track record of getting more out of teams than the individual players within.
  • Options
    I wouldn't take it if I was Roy H. Why the hell would you want that level of agro and scrutiny at his age?
  • Options
    We could have Mike Basset in charge and still nothing would change.
    Our best chance with the current crop ("golden generation" under the Swede)has long since been wasted.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Should have been Hod but basically I'm in the ABR (Anyone but Redknapp) camp. I wouldn't think Hodgson will McLaren again, more Graham Taylor. That's something to look forward to!
  • Options
    Seems as they have gone for 'dull, but bloody nice bloke ' woy...... the 'John Major' of the football world.
    Frankly good luck to anybody taking this job. As saga has stated the players seem to have a distorted view of there International ability.
    With his health, and position at Spurs, I do not think 'Harry' will be to upset by this. I guess the middle of the road candidate, like 'woy' does have the experience of International management, although he looked out of his depth at Liverpool to me. Still, a couple of years and our Chris will be in the number one choice for the England job.......
  • Options
    This is a reassuring decision after all the nonsense of the last few months. I see Roy Hodgson as being in the Bobby Robson mould. Look out for a few imaginative squad selections and a fascinating tournament into which we go without any of the usual ridiculous expections. Charismatic managers? No thanks.
  • Options
    Hodgson didn't get relegated with Blackburn, the year before he joined they barely escaped relegation, he cam in and in his first season they finished 6th and got into Europe. Second season he lost Hendry at the back, his big signing Kevin Davies didn't work and he got the sacked in the November. So I have no idea where you get your info Rikofold.

All those saying he won't be able to handle the primadonnas, why would he select them? I'm sure it's possible to pick and England team avoiding these arseholes who seem to think the are more important than the national team. If Terry/Gerrard/Rooney don't like Roy then simply don't pick them. It's not as if we're going to win anything with them in the team anyway, so what difference does it make?

I think Roy will surprise a few people, I can see us getting to the semi finals of the Euros, which is probably more than we deserve.

• Options
    Crikey please not Roy what next howard wilkinson as his assistant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure about this appointment. We all know england are going to win nothing but we should have a bit of fun trying. Roy is the george osbourne of foot ball
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    disappointed. nothing against Hodgson but with the talent, or lack of, England have at the moment I was hoping that we'd appoint a man who knows how to bring the best out of players and Redknapp does seem to be able to do that.
    Then again, based on that criteria I'd be chasing Wenger for a 3 month stint.
  • Options
    He gets the chance to manage an England squad that has quarter final potential, my oh my how enticing is that? I personally think he would be crazy to take the job, and I think there is every chance that he will get crucified, especially as the tweeting prima donnas are already putting the knives in. But he's an intelligent thoughtful man with a wealth of international experience, I much prefer him to Redknapp so despite my concerns, and antipathy to the current squad and the FA, I like the appointment.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Pearce have a crack at club management somewhere before taking over the England job.
    He has done, he was a disaster

• Options
    The old guard of Terry, Lampwick, Ferdinand, Cole and Rooney will run rings around poor old Roy. If I was him I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Will all end as it usually does in tears.
  • Options
    Harry Redknapp has spent a fortune everywhere he's been and he's left clubs in a financial mess when he's left. Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth, Southampton. Three of those clubs went into administration after he left.

I don't think it's all that clever to exceed expectations of a club if you do so by spending more money than the club has ever spent.

I don't know the figures, but I read somewhere that Spurs have spent more than all but a couple of clubs in the Premier League since he went there. I know it's not all about money, and it's not easy to coach the players when you've signed them, but I don't remember seeing him achieve much more with the same players as someone else did.

Hodgson took Blackburn from finishing 13th to finishing 6th in his first season, and even though the wheels fell off the following season, he did improve their fortunes in the first season. Maybe be didn't buy very well in that summer, but then it's not an important part of the England Manager's job to buy players. If you select one and he doesn't do it in a friendly you just don't select him again. A big signing and a long contract can't be, so easily, given back. I would also suggest that Hodgson did about as well as Kenny, or Rafa did in the League, but with substantially less money.

On the whole I think Redknapp would be a gamble, and I'm sure that the media (coupled with the situation at Spurs) would have made it ridiculously expensive to get him, and I'm sure he'd want a long contact and all that.

We also need to bare in mind that we are in a bit of a state for this summer, and I don't fancy our chances in Brazil (we never do well in South America) so we really need a manager that can oversee the transition from the last remnants of the 'Golden Age' to a new generation, and I'm not sure it's worth what Redknapp (and Spurs) would want to baby sit that process.

Of course this could just be a smoke screen to help convince Redknapp and Spurs that they either take less for this or we will go elsewhere. The clamour from all and sundry was making it easy for Spurs and Redknapp to demand the earth.
  • Options
    The old guard of Terry, Lampwick, Ferdinand, Cole and Rooney will run rings around poor old Roy. If I was him I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Will all end as it usually does in tears.
    Then why would he select them? This isn't a club side where he's stuck with what he's got, he can select anybody, so why select anybody who might cause trouble. Select younger, hungrier players who are honoured to be selected, they can't do any worse, especially if the players they replace were going to cause trouble anyway. At least 3 of that old guard shouldn't be going anyway. Terry shouldn't be going, Ferdinand has been poor, when fit, this season and Rooney is going to miss most of the games so I really see no reason to take him, especially if there is even the slightest hint he may be disruptive. Why would any sane manager take an unavailable player who's going to cause trouble?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Really like Roy. Don't think he will have any success at all, sadly. This will end in tears IMO. He's got an awesome amount of experience, but hasn't achieved a great deal of success... I can't help but feel, in order for a squad to be more than the sum of their parts, they first need to realise they're not great in the first place.

PS Curbs for West Brom?
  • Options
    We've never had an England manager that suffers from rhotacism before. So what do we call folks who chuckle at the Woys of the World ( or whom I am one although I prefer to call my speech defect an alveoloar trill) , are they called rhotacismists?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good. The media can do one. Get on their high horses about players' behaviour, but indulge Redknapp all day long because he's good copy.

You can't have it both ways. If you think Terry is a disgrace to the armband, then you have to conclude that Redknapp would be a disgrace to the position.

Once again, if you haven't read Tom Bower's book, Broken Dreams, do yourselves a favour and get it.
  • Options
    roy does good with un fashionable teams no comp to be paid to get him out the contract and he actually has tactics harry has one trophy to his name and i could tell you now what we'd play for the euro's arry is in a slump and there's nobody english who's better.
  • Options
    I'm on record elsewhere on here as Woy being the best available English manager for the job and pleased if this comes to fruition. Decent man, internationally experienced with a good record pretty much everywhere he's been and was very harshly treated by the scousers.

No doubt Harry's mates in the press are already sharpening their pencils in preparation of us bombing out early in the Euors which would have happened whoever was the manager. Oh to be a fly on the wall in Harry's house when that news broke...
    Some good points, but the job as England manager is political - he needs to be able to get the mangers and owners of the top clubs on his side otherwise there'll be a string of unexplained injuries and illnesses affecting our first choice XI which will mysteriously clear up for the next match in the Prem or CL.

Hodgson I'd like to see as a mentor type, someone who can do the coaching and get the tactics right on the pitch.

But his experience with Liverpool suggests to me that he's better working with players who aren't the prima donna type.
  • Options
    He'd never pick you then!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hodgson has just announced his first England team:

1.Wobert Gween
    2. Wayne Bwidge
    3. Wio Ferdinand
    4. John Tewwy
    5. Micah Wichards
    6. Matthew Ethewington
    7. Aawon Lennon
    8. Fwank Lampard
    9. Steven Gewward
    10. Wayne Wooney
    11. Daniel Stuwwidge

Subs: Gaweth Bawwy, Michael Cawwick, Dawwen Bent, Gawy Cahill, Gabwiel Agbonlahor, Wyan Shawcwoss
  • Options
    Is this a short term appointment or long term???.

If its for one tournament I really don't think it matters who is in charge, you might as well stick with the prima donnors get knocked out quickly and move on.

If its long term, then you are talking about shaping the English game for the next 10 yrs. I think Roy would do a good job with this, a bit like Houllier when he was running the french academy.

Hodgson though needs to be brave, drop the big names and get control. He didn't do that at Liverpool but that was becuase of behhind the scenes stuff but he had no issues as Fulham and WBA.

• Options
    no thanks
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    But his experience with Liverpool suggests to me that he's better working with players who aren't the prima donna type.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but surely he managed those type of players at Inter Milan. Also I'm not sure he had many problems at Liverpool, save for the owners expecting him to rebuild a team with no money. And it was a team that only finished 7th the season before anyway.

I think the issue with not playing the 'old guard' is that if he doesn't and we perform badly in the qualifying games he will be forced to backtrack (as McLaren was with Beckham) and then his credibility is shot. Many other nations seem to be able to keep players in the International squad well into their 30s, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to do the same. Gerrard, for example, is likely (when fit) to be the best option in his position for several years to come, so why shouldn't we select him? I'm assuming, of course, that he is not going to retire like Scholes did.
  • Options
    Good. The media can do one. Get on their high horses about players' behaviour, but indulge Redknapp all day long because he's good copy.

You can't have it both ways. If you think Terry is a disgrace to the armband, then you have to conclude that Redknapp would be a disgrace to the position.

Once again, if you haven't read Tom Bower's book, Broken Dreams, do yourselves a favour and get it.

Agree.

Pleased to see that Hodgson is being considered. I hope the so called "star" players do act up or develop sudden injuries once the season is over. We wouldn't have done anything with them IMHO and we'll most likely not anything without them but at least we can start building for Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018. We need to think long term and start building a squad of players capable of playing in and winning tournaments. That will take time so 2012 and 2014 have to be about gaining experience.

Expectations will be ridiculously high come kick off as they always are and Hodgson will be blamed for everything ("we would have won if Harry was manager" to be the cliche of the summer) but we need to end the short-termism and belief that one or two "stars" can overcome better technical and better organised teams.
  • Options
    I suppose we are beyond whether it is a mistake or not given that virtually every appointment has been a mistake since SIr Alf. He doesn't have much time to put his squad together and get them playing his way before the Euros and if we don't do well in those, will he be under pressure? Probably. I think the Euros suited a caretaker manager but I suppose if the FA didn't go for him now, he might not be available later. The reality of the situation is that any England manager has to turn a team of inferior players into something that is above the sum of it's parts. This is an area where Hodgson has been successful in the past so it will be interesting to see how it goes.