Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager

Comments

• Options
    I'm a member of the public - and I'm happy that Redknapp didn't get the job.
    Agree with you on both points BFR.
  • Options

.... while Hodgson I suspect has somewhat fewer skeletons in his cupboard.
    Just his "support" of Apartheid, as some fool tried to suggest in the press conference. Roy dealt with it very well.
  • Options
    Well, looking at the balance of comments here, the football press are talking out of their arses when they claim Redknapp as the 'people's choice'. Or perhaps people here are just brighter than average. I'll leave someone else to check on what OwlsTalk are saying about it.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with "brightness". Think Redknap would have better motivational skills than Hodgson. Bearing in mind we are probably not in the top half dozen in the world, then this in my opinion is more important than technical and tactical nous. Ironically not sure Hodgson's that great in that area either (ask Liverpool fans)
  • Options
    Nothing to do with "brightness". Think Redknap would have better motivational skills than Hodgson. Bearing in mind we are probably not in the top half dozen in the world, then this in my opinion is more important than technical and tactical nous. Ironically not sure Hodgson's that great in that area either (ask Liverpool fans)
    Well Hodgson must be great. He got Liverpool higher than King Kenny & he's the greatest.
  • Options
    Whoever got the job was/is on a hiding to nothing, I don't think the current crop are up to it, and as much as I'm looking forward to the Euros , it's not to watch the England team.

I have seen so many false dawns with England, I have very low expectations of England at the moment, with Rooney missing for 2 matches, I think we will be doing well to get out of our group, regardless of who is in charge, get Behind Hodgey and give the guy a chance.
  • Options
    Two websites have ran polls on what people think of the appointment, both came out at above 60% saying Woy is the right man for the job. The Redknapp fans will give you silly estimations as to how many wanted him. Personally I know very few of my friends who wanted him to take over so surely what the papers are trying to feed everyone will fall on deaf ears?

Oh and by the way anyone wanting a good article about this
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/01/england-appoint-roy-hodgson/
  • Options
    Without either being in the dressing room or as a minimum watching the team regularly I don't see how you can say RH cannot motivate a team? He's been around football all his life at some top clubs and taken footballing minnows to tournaments.

Presumably the Swiss team were totally demotivated under him and it was only their world class squad that got them as far as they did?
  • Options
    Bournemouth. The key word in my post was "Think" he (HR) would be a better motivator. Didn't sat Hodgson couldn't motivate. We'll just have to see how He does. Just wouldn't have been my choice and I can't believe that 60% think he's the right choice.
  • Options
    "Citing sources "at the heart of the FA", the paper claims that the reluctance of the Tottenham boss's wife to relocate to the Midlands were the issue".

Darren Bent would have moved to the Midlands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, we have young men earning thousands of pounds a week for playing football, have the honour to represent thier country and they need to be motivated.FFS.
  • Options
    players play for the manager, as we are motivated to do well by our bosses/supervisors, not the company itself. this is where I think hodgsons appointment fails, because he'll be dealing with jumped up twats who think they know better. I wish him well, but I feel the press are going to murder him regardless.
  • Options
    players play for the manager, as we are motivated to do well by our bosses/supervisors, not the company itself. this is where I think hodgsons appointment fails, because he'll be dealing with jumped up twats who think they know better. I wish him well, but I feel the press are going to murder him regardless.
    I think we are going to see a new attitude now. Many of the old guard are going to be replaced or decide to retire themselves. Any player late in his career that wants to carry on playing for England is going to know that his position is under threat, and many of his old pals will not be around the squad.

I think we need to make use of older, more experienced, players but the attitude of some might make them not worth the trouble. A 30+ year old can be dropped, where as when he's 27 he knows that a long 'battle' with the manger will result in him coming back in as he still has years left to represent the country.

I suspect that they will either tow the line or they will not be involved - it won't tke long for them all to realise it.
  • Options
    Thought it was disgusting that him playing in South Africa was brought up by a member of the press, obviously whoever it was who brought it up is one of those who will be on Woys back the whole time.
  • Options
    I think some of you are ignoring the more important issue that Hodgson is a Palace fan...
  • Options
    F.A. hierarchy.....Pompous stuffed shirts. Have Ignored what the public want.(again). At the very least they should have interviewed prospective candidates, then chosen the best man for the job.
    Surely Dave Richards in launching a tirade against foreigners then falling into a pool has demonstrated that he's exactly the kind of jingoistic buffoon, with a sense of slapstic timing, that the average dimwit in the street/in the media demands?

• Options
    Let's hope he choses theplayers on form and not reputation -- he has a great chance to start an exciting new era
  • Options
    Two websites have ran polls on what people think of the appointment, both came out at above 60% saying Woy is the right man for the job. The Redknapp fans will give you silly estimations as to how many wanted him. Personally I know very few of my friends who wanted him to take over so surely what the papers are trying to feed everyone will fall on deaf ears?

Oh and by the way anyone wanting a good article about this
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/01/england-appoint-roy-hodgson/
    Thanks - good article. Can't see Roy making much impact on our performance in the Euros, but I like what I read about his approach to tactics. It may not be the most exciting way of playing, but if it gets results that's what counts. He took the Swiss to 3rd in the world rankings.
  • Options
    Really annoyed me that it seemed to take four journalists at the press conference until one of them even offered their congratulations. That wouldn't have been the case if it was Harry.

Looking forward to Euro 2012 now. Have very low expectations so that's fine.
  • Options
    What I find annoying is the press, particularly the Sun finding as many words to make fun of his speach impediment as possible.

1. It's seems they are against him before a ball has been kicked.

2. There are many people out there with speach impediments and it's not something a professional Journalist should be looking to score cheap laughs with. IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He took the Swiss to 3rd in the world rankings.
    are you sure about that??

• Options
    BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hodge Out!!! ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    He took the Swiss to 3rd in the world rankings.
    are you sure about that??

He did indeed.
  • Options
    Won't 'Arry be getting the Chelski job?
  • Options
    Harry was 'one of the boys' would be the lampard and terry clique with Arry as there leader, i dont think hodgson will be like this and hopefully will stand up to one or two the old boys and shake it up a little.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So, we have young men earning thousands of pounds a week for playing football, have the honour to represent thier country and they need to be motivated.FFS.
    Exactly what I think.

Its a sad sign of the times that highly paid internationals even need to be motivated by others to play for the country (ofcourse you can excuse a lack of quality or confidence but not the lack of effort)

I wonder if your manager needed to have such treatment when called up in 2001 for example?
  • Options
    I like Woy. Good experience at every level, good manager, nice man and he speaks the lingo. Reckon it could be a master stroke.
  • Options
    I like Woy. Good experience at every level, good manager, nice man and he speaks the lingo. Reckon it could be a master stroke.
    Couldn't agree more. Anyone saying he can't motivate players only has to look at what Fulham and WBA achieved with him at the helm. Only concern would be his time at Liverpool, but seems like he was fighting against a lot of backroom shenanigans. He's a decent bloke and I doubt many England teams will go out under him not knowing their jobs and how they are going to play. If some of the prima donnas don't respect him, kick them into touch, it won't be a bad thing.

I think it's the right man at the right time.

• Options
    The problem at Liverpool was that he wasn't Kenny Dalglish!
  • Options
    I think it is a decent selection but I wish England managers were put on shorter contracts initially. They can always be extended if successful.