Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager

Comments

• Options
    Only dissapointment is not getting to see the train wreck that Redknapp would of made of the job.
    This is a good point and for me the only plus point of Redknapp getting it is that he would make such a monumental cock up that it could finish his career off once and for all.

• Options
    So the job requirements are:
    Must be English
    Must have coached/managed a top team successfully
    Must have won something either domestically and/or in Europe
    Must have several years experience of managing and a decent win/defeat ratio
    Must be tactically and strategically astute
    Must be reasonably popular and well known in the media and capable of communicating his ideas to his players
    Must be his own man - and prepared to take on the top clubs and get senior players on-side and to have demonstrated that at club level.

I wonder how many of these Joachim Loew would be able to put a tick next to (other than not being English of course)?

Not many...but I don't know anyone in Germany who would want to see anyone else in charge of the German national team.

• Options
    Would Harry work as England manager? You get very little time with the players, so you have to be able to get across tactics, play patterns, etc. very quickly and clearly to ensure everybody knows their job. Sometimes you can barely understand Harry when he speaks, and by his own evidence he can't write very well, so what have you got left? If his sole plus point is that he can make players feel warm and fuzzy then I'd suggest we'd be doomed to failure. England are too often tactically inept, we need somebody who is used to making limited players understand what they have to do and getting them to do it. I'd suggest this is what Roy Hodgson has done at virtually every job he's had. Liverpool didn't work for him, but that is as much the club's fault. Lack of funds, a dodgy squad, lack of support from either the fans or the board, with "King Kenny" lurking in the shadows undermining him, he was doomed from day one. I just hope the press don't do the same to him in the England role. I think he's intelligent enough to ensure there aren't any players in his squad doing that like there probably was at Liverpool.
  • Options
    I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the real reason for this (and for the sake of argument, let's accept it's done just to keep the thread going) appointment.
    It's all about one thing:-
    ££££
    $$$$
    €€€€
    Cash
    Dough
    Basically, filthy lucre.

We all know the FA have cocked up their finances massively over the past 10 years, probably longer. Firstly the whole joke about Wembley, they ended up paying far too much for a job that was ridiculously late and over budget - although it is a good stadium.
    Then they have paid through the nose for Erickson and even more so for Capello.
    To get Redknapp would have cost loads in compensation to Spurs and then what do you think dear old Harry would have demanded? Considering he has such a high opinion of himself and his blatant arrogance in thinking this was a done deal, probably somewhere in the region of what the previous manager got, £6m per year. 3 year deal then that would have cost about £30m. Outrageous!

Then you have Hodgson, mysteriously his contract with WBA runs out in June so the FA get him without having to pay off his club and you can be quite sure that his wage demands are no where near Redknapp's. More like a £1m deal over 3 years.

How many other managers whose team are safe in the Prem are out of contract at the end of the season? Surely none? Makes you think that this deal was done a long time ago.

If it is done at all.
  • Options
    I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the real reason for this (and for the sake of argument, let's accept it's done just to keep the thread going) appointment.
    It's all about one thing:-
    ££££
    $$$$
    €€€€
    Cash
    Dough
    Basically, filthy lucre.
    ...and from page 2 of this thread:
    A cynic would say its the cheap option. I believe Roy is out of contract at the end of the season whereas Spurs would demand huge compensation and no doubt Harry would push for a higher wage than Roy. After paying off the inept Italian, there is probably a shortage of coffers!
    Try and keep up Chirpy ;P

• Options
    Do you really think I've got time to read all the crap on here?

Fair enough, I missed that. That's why I was really surprised!
  • Options
    Not a great appointment? Just my view but the thought of roy as manager hardly fills me with exciement but he is a solid manager and english i suppose hope im proved wrong?
  • Options
    I'd like to see Pearce have a crack at club management somewhere before taking over the England job.
    He has done, he was a disaster

Harsh, in my opinion - did an OK job with CIty, had very limited resources compared to Keegan before him and Sven after.

Didn't pull up any trees, I'd agree, but disaster is unfair.

I agree he should go back into club management if he wants to progress - Forest at some point?

He's already managed Forest with little success.
    As a caretaker, with no experience - again, harsh, I'd say.

I'm not saying he's the messiah, but he's not a very naughty boy either!
  • Options
    The FA suits/knobs definitely have a history of taking the easy ,safe ,uncontroversial and bland way out .This reminds me so much of the appointment of safe and bland uncle Ron Greenwood when what the national team was crying out for was Brian Clough.Good luck to Roy if he gets it but the fortunes of the national team should not be predicated on the FA 's concern to get a nice guy in charge.NIce guys generally win nothing.
  • Options
    The FA suits/knobs definitely have a history of taking the easy ,safe ,uncontroversial and bland way out .This reminds me so much of the appointment of safe and bland uncle Ron Greenwood when what the national team was crying out for was Brian Clough.Good luck to Roy if he gets it but the fortunes of the national team should not be predicated on the FA 's concern to get a nice guy in charge.NIce guys generally win nothing.
    I made the same comparison at work today, but 'Arry is not in the same league as Cloughie and Hodgson has far more experience at this level than Greenwood. Hodgson seems to have built a career on getting the best out of teams without resources, so if it wasn't for our press and our egotistical players he would probably do a good job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hodgson may have more international experience than Greenwood did when he took over England but Greenwood had proper football experience. He was West Ham boss for 10 years! He developed the team that won the World Cup for goodness sake.
    I've nothing against Roy but he is nowhere near on par with Greenwood, one of English footballs greats.
  • Options
    Why Pearce? What has he done which suggests he would be a success ats England manager? I may be wrong but when he managed Forest, didn't his wife have to ppoint to him that her had chosen a team without a keeper???
  • Options
    I think he's had reasonable success with the U21's hasn't he?

Why does everyone go on and on about keepers? Play 4 up front and have rush goalie....
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hodgson didn't get relegated with Blackburn, the year before he joined they barely escaped relegation, he cam in and in his first season they finished 6th and got into Europe. Second season he lost Hendry at the back, his big signing Kevin Davies didn't work and he got the sacked in the November. So I have no idea where you get your info Rikofold.
    Well Randy I'm relying on my memory, so happy to stand corrected - although I didn't actually say he'd been relegated with Blackburn, he was sacked by then although I'd thought it was much later in the season and Kidd took over for the last few weeks. What I said was that you only need to look at their relegation, and that squad was, ahem, enhanced by Hodgson. Seems it was longer. Even so, they were most definitely bottom at the time and had been on a terrible run. Hendry was an iconic player, but if Hodgson had a one man team who else does he have to blame? The point still stands.

Anyway, he'll do ok as England manager I'm sure. Good call on Hoddle, whoever it was who said that. That would have been an interesting appointment, unfinished business and all that.
  • Options
    Excellent appointment, has the experience and I believe the personality to deal with the pressure and inflated speculation. Has a fantastic CV and could be just what we need. Will hopefully be able to deal with the big personalities in the squad,

Liverpool was a poisoned chalice (sp), he did not have anywhere near the same money as Daglish, they had been awful the year before and his record in the League is not too disimilar to King Kenny's who spent his tenure lurking in the background. Pretty sure that is the only real blemish on his record.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Good call on Hoddle, whoever it was who said that. That would have been an interesting appointment, unfinished business and all that.
    It was me and I've been saying it on here for years.
  • Options
    Let's just get behind roy. He's a proud englishman willing to stick his neck out and take over the mess that is englands national team. As others have said on this thread, he's wanted and deserved this appointment. Bit sick of the general prejudice and gloominess surrounding the national team, when are they ever going to change if we as fans are in a constant state of depression and anger? Reminds me of the general feeling of resignation during the recent pardew years
  • Options

Good call on Hoddle, whoever it was who said that. That would have been an interesting appointment, unfinished business and all that.
    It was me and I've been saying it on here for years.
    Hoddle should never have been sacked in the first place, the whole thing got blown out of all proportion and it was only really when that sanctimonious prick Blair got involved that Hoddle ended up getting the tin-tack.

If Blair had stayed out of it then Hoddle would have copped a bollocking from the FA, told to keep his gob shut on non-football matters and the whole thing would have been forgotten.

Of course Hoddle's comments were stupid, everyone knows that, but it's not like he burnt down an Orphanage, he said something dumb that he probably hadn't really thought through - and it was said in a press interview rather than a broadcast interview where he would have been more guarded.

The whole thing was a complete shambles and a perfect example of the "manufactured outrage" that the media love to stir up all the time.
  • Options
    Manufactured outrage ?

I think quite a few people were outraged by his comments and it didn't need manufacturing.
  • Options
    Hoddle was a good fit as England boss. Wasn't scared to drop people.

Maybe Le Tiss should've gone to WC1998 but he was a hard player to play in a XI without basing the squad around him. Wouldve been a good squad player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    been confirmed now, press conference @ 4pm
  • Options
    It always surprises me that people look at club managers when they decide who would make the best national team manager, when the jobs are so different. I would put high on my list of requirements, a good understanding of the game outside this country - Hodgson scores well in that department. However, somebody like David Platt may be a great England manager, but his name will never be at the forefront because of his CV.
  • Options
    Who cares the £4 million a year boys tactics didnt get us anywhere
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hodgson confirmed on a four year deal.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hodgson confirmed.
    Didn't know he was a left-footer...?
  • Options
    I'm pleased for Roy.

One of the better candidates out there if we wanted a English manager, glad we didn't choose Redknapp.

And at least Roy will be cheap to fire after the next disasterous campaign and we can start the whole saga all again
  • Options
    4 year contract???!!!
  • Options
    Do you think that maybe if one or two more members of the FA tell us that there was only ever one person sounded out and the whole board were unanimous in choosing Roy, then they may actually start believing it themselves?