Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ghostly Encounters

Comments

• Options
    I had a ghost shit. There was plenty of splashing, but when I turned round to check it out and possibly photograph it, it was gone. I've subsequently found out that my house is built on an ancient indian burial ground - something the surveyor conveniently forgot to mention. I've since had Derek Acorah in and he's talked to my ghostlog. Apparently it's not happy and wishes all who come into the house GREAT HARM, which will explain why I dropped a pint of milk last week. Also, all winter the missus was complaining about it being "cold" and there being a terrible "stink" - just after I'd been to the SAME TOILET. Coincidence, I don't think so. I imagine the "rationalists" will explain this away as being all nonsense, but they don't have to sit watching Britain's Got Talent in utter terror that the phatasmal poo will fly out the telly and start trying to MURDER US ALL.
  • Options
    Ok - if ghosts exist, why do they not make themseleves clearly apparent on camera, letting us know who exactly they are.
    And if they are tortured souls, why do people often see their happy grandfather/mother/Dad?
  • Options
    my take on it, pls ignore if you want. As a catholic i have been brought up on heaven and hell. now as an adult i dont feel strongly about this any more. I do think that everyone has a soul and that it carries on after you die. i do belive in ghosts, i think that if there is a happy place or people you love you can pop back and watch over them. and if you are murderd or lose your life suddenly you can be trapped there as you have no idea what has happend to you.
    I know that we are according to science just brain impulses and that when we die thats it folks game over. but you can have people from the most loving warmest loving families that turn out to be right evil bastards and also people who come from horrible familes who turn out to be the most warm loving of people, your soul is not a brain impulse but somthing higher, that hopefully one day i will find out but not for many many years to come.
    children often see things we dont because they havnt been told time and time again that ghosts dont exist and they are open and not hindered like most of us adults. Even if you think its all bull isint kind of nice to have the thought that when you die that is not the end that you do carry on in someway rather then just become worm food.
    I would love there to be a heaven, with all my family and friends and angels and stuff but i dont belive in that anymore but i do belive we go on in some form, hopefully anyway, and i want to pass away peacefully in my sleep like my grandad, not screaming and crying like the passengers on his bus...
  • Options
    I went to the loo this morning and had a 'Ghostie' - does this count?
  • Options
    exactly it was only 3pm
    But it was much later here in the UK. I think I know that ghost's name. It's Lag, first name Jet.

I don't believe in ghosts but I did once see a ghostly apparition. It was a Hillman Imp, which just appeared on the road in front of me and I drove right through it. I've always thought of it as an hallucination rather than a ghost. It was very late at night and I was very, very tired. But why did I choose to see an obscure old car like that? Do Imps have souls?
  • Options
    I had a ghost shit. There was plenty of splashing, but when I turned round to check it out and possibly photograph it, it was gone. I've subsequently found out that my house is built on an ancient indian burial ground - something the surveyor conveniently forgot to mention. I've since had Derek Acorah in and he's talked to my ghostlog. Apparently it's not happy and wishes all who come into the house GREAT HARM, which will explain why I dropped a pint of milk last week. Also, all winter the missus was complaining about it being "cold" and there being a terrible "stink" - just after I'd been to the SAME TOILET. Coincidence, I don't think so. I imagine the "rationalists" will explain this away as being all nonsense, but they don't have to sit watching Britain's Got Talent in utter terror that the phatasmal poo will fly out the telly and start trying to MURDER US ALL.
    This is absolutely terrifying. Have you tried OneShot?

In my opinion there is no such thing as ghosts, souls, auras or any of that shite. All invented as a coping mechanism as humans have the intelligence to understand and fear their own mortality. Dead is dead. Thats why its so important to try and enjoy it whilst your here, as much as possible. And THAT is why I have a hangover on a Thursday boss
  • Options
    Carl Sagen - The Demon Haunted World. Great read on why Ghosts/Aliens etc are all rubbish.

• Options
    Just to add only humans have souls. Animals, plants, insects and dinosaurs do not. That is why there are only human ghosts.
    Please tell me that this and your previous thread are jokes? Amnimals don't have souls - what does that even mean?

And if murdered humans become ghosts then there are nearly 3 million murders worldwide every year so taking just the last 50 years (from population explosion) there should be 150 million ghosts walking round. You'd think we would all have bumped in to one of them.
  • Options
    Most ghosts are very shy DRF, we only see the extroverts! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let me preface this by saying I don't believe in ghosts.

Two of my friends here in Hong Kong don't either. One of them is a full-on Dawkins-loving atheist.

They found a flat in a nearby district that was pretty standard but very cheap so they took it. First night they moved in, they went to bed and heard huge bangs on the ceiling. Great, obviously cheap because the neighbours are twats. Next day, the Cantonese speaking friend goes up to the next floor to talk to the neighbours about the noise. They're a young family and say impossible, they're all in bed by 10pm because they have so much to do in the mornings.

Everything was ok for three or more days, until they came home to find a large amount of water in the middle of the floor with no leak visible or taps left on. That night, Dan went to sleep and had what he said was a ridiculously horrible nightmare. He could see himself sleeping, and then saw a girl in a red dress with dark hair covering her face walking slowly towards him. It must have been pretty bad because the next day he got his stuff and moved out to stay on our floor. Dan is the Dawkins-lover.

That left George. George went to bed one night but woke up when it was still dark. But he reckons that he when he woke up he couldn't move. He then felt the mattress dip as though someone had sat by his head and he heard them crying right next to him.

George moved out. As he was leaving he walked past a neighbour who told him he was right to leave, a filipino girl was murdered by her boyfriend in that room a few months before.

They still don't believe in ghosts.
  • Options
    Carl Sagen - The Demon Haunted World. Great read on why Ghosts/Aliens etc are all rubbish.

Not only did you misspell his name but you're misrepresenting what the book is about. Either that or you totally misunderstood it.
  • Options
    se9accick, may we have a link to the Football365 thread that you mentioned above??? Very interesting thread. I'm still open-minded after having a funny experience back in the day!
  • Options

Not only did you misspell his name but you're misrepresenting what the book is about. Either that or you totally misunderstood it.

Wind your neck in. The limitations of mobile phones mean my review wasn't as full as it could have been. So here's a fuller review.

The Demon-Haunted World is a collection of twenty-five essays, several written with Sagan's wife, Ann Druyan. The essays range in scope from eloquent paeans to science to impassioned denunciations of bigotry, from humorous accounts of a variety of pseudoscientific endeavors to serious attempts to understand the nature of alien abduction delusions. With intelligence and wit, and the rational calmness that is his trademark, Sagan takes on a wide variety of topics, among them: alien abductions, astrology, Atlantis, the Bell Curve, channeling, crop circles, demons, electromagnetism, ESP, the face on Mars, fairies, faith healing, magic, miracles, prayer, religion, Roswell, satanic rituals, therapy, and, of course, one of his favorite topics, UFOs and extraterrestrials.
  • Options

Wind your neck in. The limitations of mobile phones mean my review wasn't as full as it could have been. So here's a fuller review.

The Demon-Haunted World is a collection of twenty-five essays, several written with Sagan's wife, Ann Druyan. The essays range in scope from eloquent paeans to science to impassioned denunciations of bigotry, from humorous accounts of a variety of pseudoscientific endeavors to serious attempts to understand the nature of alien abduction delusions. With intelligence and wit, and the rational calmness that is his trademark, Sagan takes on a wide variety of topics, among them: alien abductions, astrology, Atlantis, the Bell Curve, channeling, crop circles, demons, electromagnetism, ESP, the face on Mars, fairies, faith healing, magic, miracles, prayer, religion, Roswell, satanic rituals, therapy, and, of course, one of his favorite topics, UFOs and extraterrestrials.
    with respect though, it doesn't mean their not real just cos this guy said so
  • Options
    se9accick, may we have a link to the Football365 thread that you mentioned above??? Very interesting thread. I'm still open-minded after having a funny experience back in the day!
    Football 365 is a members only forum
  • Options

If you read the book he explains, scientifically and with evidence, why what some people believe to be demons and/or aliens are not that at all.

And Sagan or anyone else doesn't have to prove that Demons don't exist as you can't prove a negative.
  • Options

If you read the book he explains, scientifically and with evidence, why what some people believe to be demons and/or aliens are not that at all.

And Sagan or anyone else doesn't have to prove that Demons don't exist as you can't prove a negative.

There will always be opinions on both sides so IMO, each person has the right to decide. I'm not saying I 100% believe but you can't read 1 person's book and then factually dismiss it. If it was 100% not real, then there wouldn't be a debate. Nobody really knows about aliens/ghosts for sure
  • Options
    I believe Aliens could definatly exist somewhere in the Universe. Not that they do but that they it is possible.

Ghosts, No.

Gods, No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably just wind getting in somewhere. If I was a ghost I'd have better things to do.

Ah! Now I have had wind....
  • Options
    This is a funny thread! Personally I don't believe in ghosts at all but if others do then so what there's no harm in it. It's not like religion....
  • Options
    edited May 2012

You made my point yourself, Henners. "What people believe to be Demons/Aliens". The book is about the incorrect common approach to the question of their existence, rather than actually being about their existence. He's not actually saying that they don't exist, rather that people are not asking the right question or do not even know what the question is. Whereas you said that he talks about why ghosts/aliens are rubbish. That's not true at all. Even more so considering that he's talking about UFOs and abductions rather than the existence of aliens - Which, I might add, most scientists agree that their existence is more probable than it is improbable. Bad book recommendation! Try Birdsong!
  • Options

No it doesn't, they just dont exist.
    If they did everyone would have seen one, how many people are alive in the world now, billions, I see people every day, they are all around me, look there's one now. So how many humans have died since man first walked the earth, even more billions, most people have never seen a ghost, why? because there is no such thing!
  • Options
    People have been trying to confirm the existence of "ghosts" since time began and in all that period not once has any credible evidence been found. Makes you wonder ?
  • Options

No it doesn't, they just dont exist.
    If they did everyone would have seen one, how many people are alive in the world now, billions, I see people every day, they are all around me, look there's one now. So how many humans have died since man first walked the earth, even more billions, most people have never seen a ghost, why? because there is no such thing!
    I admit it's unlikely they exist, but I know loads of people who have had unusual, sometimes unexplainable occurrences. Most people don't tell their stories because they often get slammed straight away by ignorant people such as yourself
  • Options

You made my point yourself, Henners. "What people believe to be Demons/Aliens". The book is about the incorrect common approach to the question of their existence, rather than actually being about their existence. He's not actually saying that they don't exist, rather that people are not asking the right question or do not even know what the question is. Whereas you said that he talks about why ghosts/aliens are rubbish. That's not true at all. Even more so considering that he's talking about UFOs and abductions rather than the existence of aliens - Which, I might add, most scientists agree that their existence is more probable than it is improbable. Bad book recommendation! Try Birdsong!
    I've already said that it was a very limited "review" on a mobile so I'm not sure why you are labouring the point over what was a throw away remark.

CS didn't believe in the alien abductions/close encounters/ghosts as commonly described. He did believe that intelligent life might well exist in the universe hence the SETI project.

CS did make a very strong case that what people had perceived as "demons" and now perceived as "Aliens" were nothing of the sort
  • Options

I've already said that it was a very limited "review" on a mobile so I'm not sure why you are labouring the point over what was a throw away remark.

CS didn't believe in the alien abductions/close encounters/ghosts as commonly described. He did believe that intelligent life might well exist in the universe hence the SETI project.

CS did make a very strong case that what people had perceived as "demons" and now perceived as "Aliens" were nothing of the sort
    Not doubting that at all, just don't agree that you can say its all rubbish
  • Options
    I can say it easily. "it's all rubbish"
  • Options
    I can say it easily. "it's all rubbish"
    funny man