Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rodgers to Liverpool

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere on here, looks Liverpool are going to make Brendan Rodgers their next managers, and scrap the idea of getting another director of football in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18235961

Comments

• Thought he didn't want to talk to them a couple of weeks ago?
  • Liverpool fans will hate that and see it as a step down.
  • I think SCP is gonna get some interest unfortunately from some of these clubs that lose younger managers e.g Swansea, Wigan or Norwich perhaps. Don't think he'll go but I bet he'll be linked with a couple.
  • Liverpool fans will hate that and see it as a step down.
    Who WOULD be seen as a step up for Liverpool fan's!? They're lucky anybody wants the poisoned chalice... I mean job
  • I wouldn't want to take on that bunch of players.
  • I guess it depends on how much they're going to give him to spend. However comes in will have to move on a good few players, which might raise a little money, but it's still going to need serious investment to get that squad even into the top 6, let alone the top 4 or challenging for the title.
  • I think it's a good appointment from Liverpool. Whether he gets the time is another matter. A bad first half of the season and they will be on his back big time and calling for some ex playing legend to come back. Although not sure the Yanks in control will really care about that. Long-term I think he could do well.
  • Good luck to them, appointing a young, ambitious, british manager. Personally think Martinez would of been a better choice but good luck to him.
  • think its a great appointment for liverpool and the english game. If he's a success with the brand of football he likes his teams to play and with young english talent then other clubs will try and follow suit, helping the england team produce players that are technically much better.
  • Carroll
    Henderson
    Downing
    Kuyt
    Spearing

Raise a couple of mil from that mob
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone think that people are jumping the gun a bit with Rodgers? Only managed something like 150 games and only one (although I admit one very good season) in the Prem. The style he employs is very good and he comes across as a very intelligent and likeable person. But Liverpool have been stung very recently with those that have just had a good recent record I wonder if this is all a bit soon for him.
  • Dagleish had a lot to spend and threw it away on an average mob.

I think he will do reasonably well there good luck to him too he may need it!
  • I think SCP is gonna get some interest unfortunately from some of these clubs that lose younger managers e.g Swansea, Wigan or Norwich perhaps. Don't think he'll go but I bet he'll be linked with a couple.
    He was mentioned for the WBA job a few weeks back.
  • Carroll
    Henderson
    Downing
    Kuyt
    Spearing

Raise a couple of mil from that mob
    Carroll was not worth £35m but I think he'll do a very good job for Liverpool. He's powerful, causes defenders untold grief, is very good with his head (generally), just needs fitness & confidence he'll do well.

• Liverpool just said that it's NOT true that he has been appointed .
  • Would not pay 10m for Carroll, so many better alternatives
  • sounds like definite from what the radio has been saying. agreed contract for 3 years.
  • Anyone think that people are jumping the gun a bit with Rodgers? Only managed something like 150 games and only one (although I admit one very good season) in the Prem. The style he employs is very good and he comes across as a very intelligent and likeable person. But Liverpool have been stung very recently with those that have just had a good recent record I wonder if this is all a bit soon for him.
    I agree.

His career has been a mixed bag so far. He did a good job at Watford, but jumped to Reading too soon and failed miserably.

He then takes over a Swansea team already on the upswing due to Sousa and Martinez.

I'll give him credit for adding the final pieces to get them promoted and hold their own in the Premier League, but it is just one season. Other clubs have had better first seasons in the PL and then nosedived spectacularly the next.

It'll be interesting to see if he can implement his way of doing things at Liverpool.

• Good luck to Rodgers. If he can turn them around, he'll be a hero. If not his pension pot will be that big in 6 months that he'll be able to retire whenever he likes.
  • Rodgers is unproven at Prem llevel and he is still a newby to the Prem...........dodgy appointment if it's made, but still might come off. Liverpool are taking the Chelsea route to finding a Manager......keep sacking 'em and the law of averages says you will come good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rodgers is unproven at Prem llevel and he is still a newby to the Prem...........dodgy appointment if it's made, but still might come off. Liverpool are taking the Chelsea route to finding a Manager......keep sacking 'em and the law of averages says you will come good.
    That sounds very much like that QPR documentary and their "plan".
  • very strange choice
  • They have to pay £5m for him strange choice.
  • He must be mad. Leaving Swansea after turning them into a real force, a team that can play fantastic football and is hard to beat, for a team that has underachieved for years, has a poor squad, plays boring football, with fans that have unrealistic expectations (are scousers) and will never be happy whatever he does. Roy Hodgson all over again. Why would you do it.
  • Wonder what his transfer budget will be?
  • Big gamble by the American owners, but Personally think he will do well there. Bit of a no lose for him to be honest.

Liverpool are a historical and potential big 3 club. You don't get offered those jobs very often.
  • Only offered it to him cos Curbs turned it down. Not big enough for him......................

;-)
  • Good luck to him. Could be a very good appointment. Swansea play beautiful football (although Martinez started that revolution) but he'll need time and patience to implement that style at Anfield (although you'd like to think and good number of their players are suited to it).

Patience isn't something that is usually associated with big club supporters though and it's hard to see where 35m quids worth of Andy Carroll is going to fit into his pass and move football. Could be very good news for Jonjo though.
  • Appointment is confirmed subject to compensation being agreed
  • Rodgers is unproven at Prem llevel
    proved himself as a pretty decent manager this season.