Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rodgers to Liverpool

Comments

• Options
    Great move for Wigan!
  • Options
    Personally think they should have gone for Martinez, not least of all becuase he speak Spanish and that can only help in today's game, but it's very refreshing to see then go for a domestic appointment. Lets hope they give him a chance.
  • Options
    I'll give him two seasons at best.
  • Options
    One.

The Gerrard/Carragher Old Boys Club won't like another outsider coming in and running the place, they ran Hodgson out of town in six months and I can't see Rodgers doing much better.

Best thing he could do would be to sell Gerrard (if he can find a buyer) and move Carragher on as well, the club needs to start afresh.
  • Options
    One.

The Gerrard/Carragher Old Boys Club won't like another outsider coming in and running the place, they ran Hodgson out of town in six months and I can't see Rodgers doing much better.

Best thing he could do would be to sell Gerrard (if he can find a buyer) and move Carragher on as well, the club needs to start afresh.
    Must agree tbh

• Options
    Difficult thing to do though - AVB tried and failed to dislodge the old boys club at Chelsea and it cost him dear. Di Matteo immediately reinstated it and won the Champions League.
  • Options
    Difficult thing to do though - AVB tried and failed to dislodge the old boys club at Chelsea and it cost him dear. Di Matteo immediately reinstated it and won the Champions League.
    In some ways winning the CL was the worst thing that could have happened to Chelsea, it now embeds the old guard even further into their positions and means that the club really can't move forward to the next generation of leaders.

My view on Chelsea is that John Terry wants to be player-manager but is not quite ready yet, he will probably look to takeover in 2-3 seasons, until then he won't let any new manager have the grass grow under his feet.
  • Options
    But anyone would have the Chelsea old boys over the Liverpool ones
  • Options
    Not sure how Rodgers' style will work at Liverpool. Trying to play fluent, passing football in a team with Carroll, Henderson, Downing and Spearing? Can't see that being very successful.

Could see him being a top manager one day, fear this might ruin him though.
  • Options
    I don't think it was Gerrard/Carragher who ran Hodgson out of Liverpool, it was Dalglish hovering around and the fans latching onto their 'hero'.

With him out of the picture I think Rodgers will do well. The relationship between Roy and Gerrard can't be too bad - he's made him the permanent England captain after all and himself said "Roy had a impossible job at Liverpool, the fans wanted their legend back".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He shouldn't have left Swansea as they are on the up.

I can see a few Swansea players signing for Liverpool very soon.
  • Options
    I don't think it was Gerrard/Carragher who ran Hodgson out of Liverpool, it was Dalglish hovering around and the fans latching onto their 'hero'.

With him out of the picture I think Rodgers will do well. The relationship between Roy and Gerrard can't be too bad - he's made him the permanent England captain after all and himself said "Roy had a impossible job at Liverpool, the fans wanted their legend back".
    From what I've read, FSG want to bring in a sporting director to replace Commolli. So they're going to be in the same situation again. The manager ending up with players that he might not necessarily want.

• Options
    Would expect to see Sigurdsson and Joe Allen at Liveprool before the end of the summer.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17945917

Would be harsh on Swansea, first to lose their manager and then have the Sigurdsson deal hijacked at the last minute.
  • Options
    Paul Lamberts going to villa as well! I know we're hoping to copy what both clubs have done (either back to back promotions, or promotion from league one, consolidating and then getting promotion playing good football), would SCP be more loyal?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Good question Kent , will have to ask him at the Bromley meeting in May! whenever.
  • Options
    Paul Lamberts going to villa as well! I know we're hoping to copy what both clubs have done (either back to back promotions, or promotion from league one, consolidating and then getting promotion playing good football), would SCP be more loyal?
    Would you want to stand in his way if a bigger club came in for him?

• Options
    Would you want to stand in his way if a bigger club came in for him?
    No, I certainly wouldn't stand in his way, SLL.

I'd lie in front of his car.

• Options
    Carroll must fear for his future a bit now. There's no way he could fit into a Barcalona-style way of playing. No chance.
  • Options
    There's an interesting symmetry with Rodgers and Mourinho.

Mourinho learned his trade under Bobby Robson
    Rodgers learned his under Mourinho.
    Mourinho spent a year each at Benfica and Leiria before 2 years at Porto.
    Rodgers spent a year each at Watford and Reading before 2 years at Swansea
    Mourinho then got the big job at Chelsea.
    Rodgers has got the big job at Liverpool.

I guess the big difference is what they've won, but it's about time a British manager got a chance at a top club. Hope he does well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of the so-called experts are saying that Rogers is the very best of the new generation of managers. Forward thinking & very innovative. On that basis he deserves his chance & I hope he does well. It is a gamble by Liverpool but if he is as good as they say, it could prove to be a masterstroke. Time will tell!!
  • Options
    Carroll must fear for his future a bit now. There's no way he could fit into a Barcalona-style way of playing. No chance.
    Danny Graham did alright last season
  • Options
    It's a bit like Clough going to Leeds without all the baggage is Rogers a new Clough?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Seems like Liverpool are doing the Roy Hodgson thing again. Rodgers is a good manager but will he be good enough for a club that think they have a divine right to win everything??
  • Options
    Seems like Liverpool are doing the Roy Hodgson thing again. Rodgers is a good manager but will he be good enough for a club that think they have a divine right to win everything??
    Their styles are very different. Hodgson likes to spend hours drilling and working on shape on te training field which can be quite boring for the players, it's only until they started seeing the results that the fulham players got on with it. Rodgers is all about getting the ball down and passing and being comfortable on the ball which I think the old guard at liverpool would appreciate more.

That and he wont have kenny Lurking in the background
  • Options
    Definitely differing styles but I do wonder whether a manager who has been successful with Swansea (and he has been very successful) will be the man who can provide the success that Liverpool crave. Can he translate what he did with Swansea which was brilliant to a club that is falling further and further away from where it wants to be. If he can do that he could well be the manager of the year next season. In any case good luck to him because he certainly deserves the chance, hopefully Liverpool fans will be kinder to him than to Roy! As for Kenny there are plenty there who never wanted him to leave, even though ultimately that was probably for the best.
  • Options
    Problem for Rogers is that the majority of Liverpool fans will be completely underwhelmed by his appointment and will feel he is not done enough as a manager to take on one of footballs biggest names regardless of their current plight. He needs to do very very well very very quickly otherwise he's doomed before he even gets a chance.
  • Options
    That is my feeling too.
  • Options
    Problem for Rogers is that the majority of Liverpool fans will be completely underwhelmed by his appointment and will feel he is not done enough as a manager to take on one of footballs biggest names regardless of their current plight. He needs to do very very well very very quickly otherwise he's doomed before he even gets a chance.
    On the other hand a dose of realism might settle in, or should have by now. Hodgson was given no chance - the fans wanted Dalglish who was publically advertising for the job, the two Yanks had left the club all but bankrupt so there was no money to buy the star names they thought that Liverpool should be buying. Six months later they got their wish and a further six months later and Dalglish was buying the big name players and then a further six months later it became apparent that he was out of his depth. In has come a professional coach with some new ideas more in tune with the way the game is played. whether the fans appreciate that he needs some time is debateable and will give it to him is another matter. It wasn't all that long ago that there were more than a few people on this site who would have been happy if Chris Powell had been sacked after his first few months.

• Options
    On the other hand a dose of realism might settle in, or should have by now. Hodgson was given no chance - the fans wanted Dalglish who was publically advertising for the job, the two Yanks had left the club all but bankrupt so there was no money to buy the star names they thought that Liverpool should be buying. Six months later they got their wish and a further six months later and Dalglish was buying the big name players and then a further six months later it became apparent that he was out of his depth. In has come a professional coach with some new ideas more in tune with the way the game is played. whether the fans appreciate that he needs some time is debateable and will give it to him is another matter. It wasn't all that long ago that there were more than a few people on this site who would have been happy if Chris Powell had been sacked after his first few months.

Always the same with certain fans, want instance success