Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monday 5pm-England v France-Preview/Match Thread

England V France-Monday 11th June- 5pm kick-off

FIFA Rankings:
England 6, France 14

And so England’s and Roy Hodgson’s first campaign begins with a tough game against France who have improved with boss Laurent Blanc after a dismal World Cup in 2010.

England have won their last two friendlies through two 1-0 wins against Norway and Belgium whilst France also won their last two friendlies 2-0 against Serbia then 4-0 against Estonia. England were also unbeaten in the Euro qualifiers but lost to France 2-1 in a friendly back in late 2010. France last lost an international match back in September 2010 in a 1-0 defeat to Belarus meaning the French side are unbeaten in 21 matches.

Tactics
England may deploy a 4-5-1 formation to contain France with Ashley Young just behind the main striker as he has done in the two recent friendlies. The main question will be who starts upfront, if Hodgson goes for a 4-4-2 then it should be Carroll and Welbeck up top together, but if its 4-5-1 it’s hard to call who will get the nod, maybe due to his impressive finish against Belgium, Danny Welbeck might get the nod.

Also, will Alex ‘the Ox’ Chamberlain get a starting role on the left side of midfield for a bit of energy and unpredictability about the England side? Only Roy knows. Joleon Lescott is expected to partner Terry at the heart of the defence will Johnson and Cole are expected to continue as full-backs.

France usually play a 4-2-3-1 formation with Kerim Benzema as the lone-striker with Nasri, Ribery and Remy behind him. But due to the injury to Remy meaning that he isn’t in the squad, Blanc may select Chelsea midfielder Florent Malouda who has scored in both recent friendlies against Serbia and Estonia.

Yann M’Vila is unavailable for the match due to a sprained ankle suffered in a recent friendly meaning Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye and most probably Alou Diarra, will act as the strongholds in France’s midfield making them the key players within the team. Also, with the additional flair of Ribery creating chances for France they look strong enough to really test the England side and even go on to win the Championships.

Ones to watch: Young (England) Benzema (France)

Odds: France: (6/4) Draw: (11/5) England: (23/10)

Prediction: This is too tight to call, France are very good going forward but England will be very organised under Hodgson, but without the likes of Rooney and Lampard, England look flat going forward. If England take the lead, I expect them to try and hold the lead whereas if France score, I can see them pushing for more which could backfire.

A little fact for you to consider also is that England have never won their opening match in the Euro’s.

I’m going for a 1-1 draw. Come on England.

Comments

• Options
    Good preview, must be difficult to write a balanced piece. M'Villa missing could be s big blow, think central midfield is probably the one area where England have an advantage now- Parker and Gerrard are better than Cabaye and Diarra IMO. It's such a cliche but the first goal is so important, if it goes to France then England will need a plan b, if it goes to Englanf then the likes of Young and Walcott/Ox will need to stick to their defensive duties in a bus parking exercise.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    4-4-1-1

-----------Hart------------
    --Johnson Terry Lescott Cole---
    -Milner Gerrard Parker Downing-
    --------Young-------------
    ----------Carroll-----------

I expect this formation tomorrow. The only real question is whether to select Welbeck or Carroll. On one hand, Welbeck looks more likely to grab a goal but I believe his small/nippy style will suit the french centre back pairing moreso than a bullish Carroll. If he's on his game and pulls that backline all over the place, it allows our best player in Ashley Young to exploit any space.

Oxlade-Chamberlain and/or Walcott and/or Welbeck to come on after 60-70 minutes if we're chasing the game.
  • Options
    I think your right apart from one . I think Wellbeck is set to start ahead of Carroll. ( so the press are reporting).

Having Downing and Milner in the team is so depressing. No creativity at all.
  • Options
    With the reports of milner downing and wellbeck starting we are carrying 3 players there with limited attacking threat so can only hope for a draw at best, milner has a good work rate and limited ability ( a rich mans wagstaff), downing sweet(ish) left peg and limited ability and wellbeck some pace and limited ability , I fear these 3 will really frustrate us with their limited ability !
  • Options
    Wow, didn't know France are ranked 14th while we're 6th!!
    Good preview.
  • Options
    The thing I fear most is conceding an early goal. If we have to chase the game we will be torn apart.
    Predict 1-0. JT header from a set piece.
  • Options

I expect this formation tomorrow. The only real question is whether to select Welbeck or Carroll. On one hand, Welbeck looks more likely to grab a goal but I believe his small/nippy style will suit the french centre back pairing moreso than a bullish Carroll.
    Really? Have you ever seen Mexes and Rami? I would fancy my chances about out pacing them and I'm a fat lad with a dodgy knee. I think Welbeck will start and then Carroll to come on, he is more likely to make an impact as a sub imho just as he has done when coming on for Liverpool in the latter part of the season
  • Options
    As Col says above the weakness in the French team is at centre-back, I'd have Welbeck and Young playing behind Carroll in a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 type formation and run at them. England are down to the bare bones with so many decent players either injured or suspended, so attack could be the best form of defence here.

The two French centre-backs don't seem to play well together and they don't appear to possess that Morrison/Taylor understanding that we saw last season and if their midfield and attack play a little too far up the pitch they could be exposed.
  • Options
    JT header from a set piece.
    This

• Options
    Shame Rooney isn't available because the French defence is very suspect. Would play Welbeck with Young in just behind, that pace would destroy them. Unfortunately I think he'll play Carroll which would suit their back 4 more.

Going for a 2-1 England on this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just can't see us winning and the only thing stopping me on having a few quid on France is because we are being set up to play for a draw.
  • Options
    I've got quite a good feeling as it gets nearer. I think that a lot are over-hyping the French just as they did with the Dutch, by all accounts Blanc still doesn't know the best set up for the team and that defence is very suspect, would love to see Walcott start and being given a licence to run at Evra who has been very poor over the last year.

However France do have a couple of very good players who can score out of nothing, they are favourites and rightly so but if we play to a system I think they are there for the taking
  • Options
    It makes a difference going into it expecting the worse, and will feel in greater if we do pull a win out of somewhere.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Just hoping for a win.

My pal has Ashley Young and England to win 1-0 at 66-1, which i thought quite good. My partake.

• Options
    England 1 France 1
  • Options
    Just hoping for a win.

My pal has Ashley Young and England to win 1-0 at 66-1, which i thought quite good. My partake.

Good odds, I can't see it being a high scoring game and Ashley Young does have a habit of getting involved in goals as the scorer or in assists.

• Options
    few of our lads (and maybe lasses too curb_it) are out there already and flying the glorious flag... good on'em!
  • Options
    Organiser?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Good a fabulous shot! Friend or Defoe is out there isnt he??

Wish i was, weather in the high 30's unlike this shit. Tickets going for 14 quid etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    the people they interviewed were burnley supporters but the flag was in the background while they were talking so not sure who's it is? probably in the pool they got there with a beer in hand if they know whats good for'em, i would be... good effort anyway, 10/10 i say!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you I have nicked it to post on FB.
  • Options
    I heard a stat on the radio last week that shocked me - outside of Euro 96, we have only won 4 matches in the history of these championships. I haven't bothered to check as assumed it can't possibly be right. Can it?

As for tonight this has low scoring draw all over it with neither team really venturing out of their half after the first hour.
  • Options
    We haven't won an opening game in the last 7 Euro's. We have only won 2 of the last 11 opening game across both tournaments
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    dont know what FB is but no worries curb_it... someone will be able to put a name to it im sure? and no doubt they will be happy their flag made it on the telly (i would be after making the effort).
  • Options
    FB = Farcebook
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    FB = Farcebook
    i gotcha ;~)
  • Options
    I woke up this morning a blind optimist, we can draw 0-0.

COME ON ENGERRRRRLAND!!!!!!!!!

I should really be revising for my Biology exam tomorrow. oh well.
  • Options
    Draw written all over it. The fact about us never winning a opening match is shocking!
  • Options
    FB = Farcebook
    i gotcha ;~)
    and twitter, and the club have sent it out now.. so its definitely going to get noticed. Hope the owner pops up soon.

• Options
    France haven’t got a chance.