Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monday 5pm-England v France-Preview/Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Could have been a lot worse
  • Options
    not bad at all.

poor ref.

ribery winds me up no end.

i honestly think we should have more belief in our own ability. if we had that belief to move the ball a bit quicker, kill a pass & attack with more oomph, we could do ok. KEEPNG THE BALL at international level is so important.

apart from Russia, no team has impressed me yet.

• Options
    not bad at all.

poor ref.

ribery winds me up no end.

i honestly think we should have more belief in our own ability. if we had that belief to move the ball a bit quicker, kill a pass & attack with more oomph, we could do ok. KEEPNG THE BALL at international level is so important.

apart from Russia, no team has impressed me yet.

Nail on the head.
  • Options
    Good post @Macronate
  • Options
    Thought we played OK. The ref did his best level best to let France get away with a lot of fouling in my opinion. Midfield looked solid, with the team forcing France to play a lot of ball around the box without giving away any clear cut chances. With Johnson and Cole bombing down the wings this will give us an extra dimension in the next 2 games especially when Rooney is back against Ukraine. Overall I am happy with a draw against a team that hasn't lost in 22 games ( they have a long way to go break Huddersfields record! ).
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    We have very little ability at this level, with shocking attempts to keep the ball. I watched the same poor English attempt as everyone else. This may be another tournament where, after the event, we question our technic and ourvtraining methods. Everyone on here had their fingers crossed for most of the second half that we wouldn 't let one in and we wouldn't keep giving the ball away? The one plus was we had some young players out there. I suppose we maybalso be fortunate with the Swedes and Ukraninas being in our group.
  • Options
    Thought the ref had a shocker so one sided it was untrue, how cabaye and ribery wernt booked I don't know. Thought it was a decent enough performance for our opener looked organised thought there centre of defence looked weak and maybe should have put Carroll on to ruffle a few French feathers. Also thought terry played well nice and solid, Milner looked tidy at times. Overall not bad onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    We did okay, big problem is the lack of creativity we'll struggle to score goals.
  • Options
    I thought we played to our strengths ie be solid and tight at the back and hit them on on a counter attack.
    Only let down by backing off and giving space on the 18 yard line for their goal.
    Most teams will struggle to break us down but will find it hard win games. Praps we could win this cup with draws in the group stage and penalties the rest of the way.
  • Options
    its all about the confidence, get that going and we'll be fine i tell thee!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When Beckham scored for England, all the kids wanted 'Beckham Haircuts'... Sorry Lescott, I just can't see this catching on...
  • Options
    Agree ref was poor but thought they played very well as a unit, some individual errors but overall fairly solid. Pretty much restricted France to rangers and set pieces, they really didn't impress me and although I'm sure we will hear the usual, was boring, anti football etc. that is exactly the way you have to play when you don't have the quality to compete like for like.

Oh and final thought, Welbeck would be a world beater if he could sort out his first touch, the amount of times it let him down tonight was untrue, don't want to be too harsh as I thought he worked his socks off.
  • Options
    When have England EVER kept the ball at international level? Euro 96 in a couple of games, occasionally under Hoddle in France 98 and maybe under Sven in WC 2002 against Argentina.

Broadly speaking though we are OK at keeping possession when the opposition sit back but hit big problems when they press up on us and put us under pressure in possession.

It is our failure to be comfortable in possession when under pressure that is our biggest fault - and our opponents know it.

This can't be changed in a fortnight so the best way forward is to defend as well as we can and look to score goals on the break and from set-plays.
  • Options
    We have very little ability at this level.
    Have you ever thought about taking up fly fishing MAT? Because if you seriously think this, you know nothing about football...
  • Options
    Nice to get my prediction right!

Thought it was a very disciplined performance and one that will give confidence within the side.

Can't see the likes of Milner starting next match, probably will see him dropped for Carroll/Defoe..with Young going left wing and possibly OX right.

Considering Hodgson only took over a few weeks ago and has had lots of injuries within the side (even Ray Clemence got injured today ffs!) the performance was very encouraging...
  • Options
    Have you ever thought about taking up fly fishing MAT? Because if you seriously think this, you know nothing about football...
    I would have thought our record at Euros and Workds would back me up. Did you watch the last couple of World Cups with your eyes shut? You obviously have only ever watched games with UJ glasses on. We are poor. The only reason our PL is good is because of foreign players. Wake up, hey.

• Options
    The heat must of played a big part in England tiring towards the end I'm happy with a point and as sir Chris says we move on
  • Options
    or the fact that they've only been together for about 10 days prior to the start of the euros as they all had a mini holiday after the end of the season the poor lambs....
  • Options
    I would have thought our record at Euros and Workds would back me up. Did you watch the last couple of World Cups with your eyes shut? You obviously have only ever watched games with UJ glasses on. We are poor. The only reason our PL is good is because of foreign players. Wake up, hey.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not arguing with facts, just the bit where you say that We have very little ability, our squad has ability running all the way through! Bundles of it! Wake up, eh.
  • Options

Yeah, you're right. I'm not arguing with facts, just the bit where you say that We have very little ability, our squad has ability running all the way through! Bundles of it! Wake up, eh.
    Clearly doesn't have bundles of ability, there are a few very good players and then the rest. All you have to do is look at that bench, I have no confidence anyone on it could change a game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought we did rather well, was a better performance than I was expecting.
  • Options

Clearly doesn't have bundles of ability, there are a few very good players and then the rest. All you have to do is look at that bench, I have no confidence anyone on it could change a game
    Show me an international team that has quality in every position AND also quality on the bench. We have as much, if not more ability with ANY other European side.

How do you gauge ability and how do we only have very little of it?
  • Options

Show me an international team that has quality in every position AND also quality on the bench. We have as much, if not more ability with ANY other European side.

How do you gauge ability and how do we only have very little of it?
    Well I'd say Spain have quality in pretty much every position and have some half decent players on the bench.

How do we have so little ability? Well I didn't actually say that but I'm guessing you are aiming that question in terms of personnel rather than how the national side got into this state. Okay well lets look at the players, Glen Johnson a fairly average right back in the prem, Milner I wouldn't say has lots of ability but he does have a good work ethic, Hart although a good keeper still has lots to learn i.e. in terms of coming for crosses and those claiming him to be one of the best keepers in the world are a bit off the mark. Carroll has some potential but is a long way from fulfilling it also add Henderson, Walcott and to an extent Phil Jones to that list.

Don't get me wrong I think there are some players there that have the potential to be very good but at the moment that's all it is.
  • Options
    Ribery = elephant man, cheating c*nt!!! Why wasn't he booked for simulation??? Dodgy ref!
  • Options
    A poor game played out by two very average teams in a stadium that was quieter than The Valley. We give the ball away far too much at international level and still hoof it out giving it straight back to the opposition inviting pressure.

Poorest game in the tourny so far for me in terms of entertainment value.

We are eons away from winning a World Cup or The Euros, The FA's "back to basics" is still very much at the basic level
  • Options
    It's our first game in the Euro finals and we've drawn 1-1 with France. Yeah we can split hairs on who we think has or has no ability, but it was a solid perfirmance Imo. I don't understand why do people feel the need to criticise and bring up bad results from yesteryear. And to say we have very little ability is wrong! Some people ain't happy till we're knocked out so the moan and piss and shit about how bad we are. Get into the spirit ffs!
  • Options
    It's our first game in the Euro finals and we've drawn 1-1 with France. Yeah we can split hairs on who we think has or has no ability, but it was a solid perfirmance Imo. I don't understand why do people feel the need to criticise and bring up bad results from yesteryear. And to say we have very little ability is wrong! Some people ain't happy till we're knocked out so the moan and piss and shit about how bad we are. Get into the spirit ffs!
    Couldn't agree more
  • Options
    We have very little ability at this level, with shocking attempts to keep the ball. I watched the same poor English attempt as everyone else. This may be another tournament where, after the event, we question our technic and ourvtraining methods. Everyone on here had their fingers crossed for most of the second half that we wouldn 't let one in and we wouldn't keep giving the ball away? The one plus was we had some young players out there. I suppose we maybalso be fortunate with the Swedes and Ukraninas being in our group.
    Shut up mate you're talking crap.
  • Options
    I'm not criticising, go back and have a look at what I wrote after the game, even before the game I thought we could get something out of it. However what I won't do is get drawn into the usual, oh aren't our boys wonderful, lets all pat them on the back for their efforts and if anyone who says different are anti-English/miserable etc. I'm being a realist, in terms of ability we can't compete with the top nations but with a hard working team, the right tactics and a bit of luck they could do okay.
  • Options
    I'm not criticising, go back and have a look at what I wrote after the game, even before the game I thought we could get something out of it. However what I won't do is get drawn into the usual, oh aren't our boys wonderful, lets all pat them on the back for their efforts and if anyone who says different are anti-English/miserable etc. I'm being a realist, in terms of ability we can't compete with the top nations but with a hard working team, the right tactics and a bit of luck they could do okay.
    Agree with this statement